late night pondering - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
late night pondering
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 10:02 PM on j-body.org
i cant sleep so im sitting here watching late night tv(the best of slednecks). Ive been watching a lot of snowboarding videos and ski videos and i was working with ski racers etc. and question popped up in my head. There is no denying that certain people excel to a very high degree in certain fields. These people's skills in one thing such as skateboarding, driving, other sports oriented or competetive oriented activities are significantly more developed than the average person or even enthusaist in that general field.

So my question is...do you think there is one type of person that will excell in whatever field they put their mind to....or are certain people predisposed good at one thing and they need to find it?

Supercharged 95 BMW 540i M-Sport

Re: late night pondering
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 5:39 AM on j-body.org
hmmm....good question..

i think that people can be good at whatever they choose..all it takes is practice...but i do think that certain people excel in many things naturally.....a person that is gifted in maintaining there balance well will be good at such things as skateboarding

my hand eye coordination is very good, i can pick up any controller for a game and learn it quite fast, (first person shooter is my fav) but anyways, i feel like i can excel at many things i try..much better than just the average joe pickin up volleyball, or playin paintball, etc..

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 5:56 AM on j-body.org
I don't know if anybody can be good at whatever they put their mind to, but I defineately think they can improve in regards to themself. But to be the BEST at what you do I think you need a predisposition for it.
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:49 AM on j-body.org
I don't think it's so much a predisposition to something, but being equipped with several abilities (better eye-sight, longer fingers, stronger bones and joints, higher mental acuity etc) at once and then developing them further.

As much as I'd love to be able to run a 4 minute mile, I don't think my build (6'2", 280 lbs, Long torso, wide shoulders, barrel chest) will allow me to do that unless I shed a lot of fat, and re-structure my bones to be longer and thinner.

I also scarcely doubt that most people would be able to do my job (in fact, I know they cant... the wash-out rate for tested individuals is over 97, because it requires visual acuity and mental acuity that exceeds a lot of other jobs... it also requires a bit of a strong stomach because sometimes you get something..... wet...

Forensics is not for the faint of heart.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 10:04 AM on j-body.org
This isn't just a physical ability question.

People are naturally good at some things (called "talents") and just aren't any good at others, no matter how hard they try.

For example, I know plenty of computer geeks who just can't program. Their mind isn't made that way. Or how about a person without rhythm? Ever see a person who can't keep a beat try to play music or try to dance? They just aren't made for it.

---

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 10:22 AM on j-body.org
Wow. I'm a computer geek who can't program and I have no rhythm.

Damnit.

Luckily I'm good at...uh...

Damnit.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:11 AM on j-body.org
There can't be one type of person that could excell at everything because phyical charateristics do play an important roll. A person can be have great natual talent, but he can't compete for a horse jocky or linebacker postion unless he is built for it.

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 4:14 PM on j-body.org
i think there is a predisposition...whether it be physical, or biochemical, or whatever.

Think about it this way: How many people do you know who are passionate and end up flaming ever debate they get into, and are smart as all hell? And then how many people do you know that keep their cool under debate, but are dumb as bricks?

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 5:14 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

How many people do you know who are passionate and end up flaming ever debate they get into, and are smart as all hell
*looks away...*

But what I think everyone is saying is that some people were just born to be good at certain things. For instance, one of my friends in High School was captain of all the varsity teams (It was in Europe, so there was no football to overlap with anything), but put my guitar in his hands and he looked like an idiot.
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:33 PM on j-body.org
one thing i have learned is that there is nothing i can't do, i may suck at it or it may be extremely painful but under the right circumstances it is all feasible, but that does not mean i should. and to answer the original question i think that people are "predisposed" for different things.

Thursday, March 31, 2005 7:22 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

But what I think everyone is saying is that some people were just born to be good at certain things. For instance, one of my friends in High School was captain of all the varsity teams (It was in Europe, so there was no football to overlap with anything), but put my guitar in his hands and he looked like an idiot.

but maybe if he put as much effort into learning guitar as he did into varsity teams he would be better at guitar.

Supercharged 95 BMW 540i M-Sport

Thursday, March 31, 2005 7:44 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Quote:

but maybe if he put as much effort into learning guitar as he did into varsity teams he would be better at guitar.

He was tone deaf and had no rhythm... You should have seen him try to dance He just wasn't good at the creative side of the spectrum, he couldn't draw either.
Friday, April 01, 2005 12:34 PM on j-body.org
CrSublimeJLC wrote:
Quote:

that hits more of it then allot of things. its all in the effort. most people that excel like that excel beacuse they put twice as much time and effort into then the normal person. not saying this is 100% percent the way. but in the majority of people it is. ive seen guys in sports who were at the bottom run as far as ability on their team, come back the next year and be near the top. and u find out they spent and extra 2 hours a night or more every night practicing. that type of dedication can pass over to other areas as well. in the long run i'd rather have the guy that puts in two hours every night, versus the guy that just has some natural ability.

your friend may not have been able to dance, but i gaurentee that if he took dance lessons for 2 hours a night for several years, i'd bet he would become a great dancer if he put his mind to it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search