Sports vs games - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sports vs games
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 6:43 AM on j-body.org
The other day i was listening to the Maxium channel on my siuris radio, and two of the DJs kind of get on my nerves because they are huge baseball fans and basically its all they talk about. At one point they had a topic called, "is soccer a sport" or something like that. They listed golf as more of a sport then soccer. Anyways, what are some rules one would define a sport as vs a game? Personally i call golf just a game because there is no direct interaction between people.

I think we had this topic like a year+ ago, but i couldn't find it, so i thought i would post it again

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Re: Sports vs games
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 7:29 AM on j-body.org
Yeah I remember that topic. I wouldn't consider golf a sport. I do consider Soccer, Football, Basketball, hockey, Lacrossse, Motorsports, Real wrestling(not the WWE stuff), Bicycle racing and Marathons sports.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 7:45 AM on j-body.org
yea, after i posted, i went back and looked again. I had to search under archived. The first time i only did "all dates"

I did have this discussion with a few friends (while drunk) a while back and I think we came up with a good defination. I'll wait a for a few post before i list them.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 7:57 AM on j-body.org
I think golf could be labeled a sport. It requires a great amount of control, balance, and skill to shoot decently. Obviously, I am being biased since I am a huge golf fan and player. I think it's really irrelevant whether one considers it a game or sport. Either way, it's fun to play.

But then again, I don't know of any formal definitions of what a sport is. Maybe if it was full contact (See Miller Lite commercial some years ago) then it would be considered a sport by many.
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:36 AM on j-body.org
I definitely think that golf is a sport. The amount of skill needed to play golf well is immense, not even mentioning the huge mental part of it. I am also biased in my opinion, but I really appreciate those guys because, unlike most other athletes they only get paid upon how they perform. If you aren't good that weekend... you don't get any $$$.

Like c'mon they call hunting and fishing sports. Sure if you were hunting grizzlies with a bow and arrow then it would be a great sport and should probably be televised.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:41 AM on j-body.org
Game: non contact play of skill

Sport: Play of skill that involves contact.

Using this rationale, the only 3 sports there are is: Hockey, Football and Pugilism (boxing/martial arts).

Baseball is merely a game because there is not supposed to be physical contact that is sanctioned by the rules.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:08 AM on j-body.org
Why do you need contact to be a sport?

Anyways, I think a sport is where you or your team decide on the final outcome. Example, in golf it's up to you do get X amount of birdies to win, or in hockey your team must score more goals than the other team.

Of course, using my definition ballroom dancing, boxing, diving, figure skating etc are not sports and a spelling bee is more of a sport than boxing.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:33 AM on j-body.org
Ok, there have been a few responces. From what i remember, here are the rules that it had to follow.

1. A highly phyical activity
2. One's movements are directly affected by another person or team.
3. There is precise scoring method that shows a clear winner. (aka, no judges)
4. Crap, i can't remember the last one. I think it had some provision to include exclusivly track and field, but i can't remember how it was worded.

Rule #1 takes care of all the stupid stuff like chess, video games, and what not. NASCAR is debatable on this one.
Rule #2 takes out golf, because you could go out and play a round by yourself, and do the exact same thing. Also takes out gymastics, diving, cheerleading, yada yada yada.
Rule #3 pretty much goes along with rule #2, but keeps people saying that people change there rutiens dificulty depending on other rutiens
Rule #4 I believe stuff like track and field and swimming (distance type stuff) should be included in sports, but i couldn't think of ways to include it without violating rules one two and three.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:42 AM on j-body.org
The way I look at it is a sport is anything that involves:

A) Physical activity
B) is a test of skill & or endurence

Chasing a little white ball around a big lawn may not seem hard, but it is ALOT harder than it looks.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:53 AM on j-body.org
Well, let's see what could be done to improve things to a proper level of "sport".

Hunting. Not a sport. If you want hunting to be a sport--hunt with a survival knife, not a gun.

Golf. Not a sport--a skill or a pasttime. To make this a sport--have randomly placed landmies all over the golfcourse, and have the greens exactly like minature golf--with trickshots and whatnot. Further, the pin should have a goalie.

Baseball: Not a sport--a pasttime. First off--let these guys play in the rain--if it's good enough for Football... Second, let the batter carry the bat with him and be able to hit any thrown ball back into play.

Diving: Not a sport--a skill (see also, the rule aforementioned about judges). Have a school of pihrana in the pool, so not only do you have to get into the pool causing the least disturbance, but get out of it

Basketball: close. First, put the pole back under the basket and raise it up a bit. Second, they could make it into a game my bro and I used to play as kids that was a lot more fun--tackle basketball

Now into the more competitive sports:

Football: Not bad, but GET RID OF THE PUSSY QUARTERBACK SLIDE RULE, SPINKING THE BALL, AND FAIR CATCHES. Alsom the season is too short--Hockey, Rugby, lacrosse, aussie rules--all are more violent and their season is longer. Also, put the goalpost back in the endzone.

Hockey: Let's start by saying that if the goalie's out of the crease he becomes like any other player. Also, if the goalie commits a penalty, the goalie has to go in the box, leaving the other playes on the ice (sans bulky pads) to protect the goal.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 11:22 AM on j-body.org
According to Stoney and Wojo on Sports Radio in Detroit, a sport is any activity where you can get a hamstring injury.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 2:51 PM on j-body.org
Niceguy4186 wrote:Ok, there have been a few responces. From what i remember, here are the rules that it had to follow.

1. A highly phyical activity
2. One's movements are directly affected by another person or team.
3. There is precise scoring method that shows a clear winner. (aka, no judges)
4. Crap, i can't remember the last one. I think it had some provision to include exclusivly track and field, but i can't remember how it was worded.

Rule #1 takes care of all the stupid stuff like chess, video games, and what not. NASCAR is debatable on this one.
Rule #2 takes out golf, because you could go out and play a round by yourself, and do the exact same thing. Also takes out gymastics, diving, cheerleading, yada yada yada.
Rule #3 pretty much goes along with rule #2, but keeps people saying that people change there rutiens dificulty depending on other rutiens
Rule #4 I believe stuff like track and field and swimming (distance type stuff) should be included in sports, but i couldn't think of ways to include it without violating rules one two and three.

Problem with rule #3 is that boxing matches that ending in knockouts are sport, but those that end with judges are games? Your rules are screwy.

To me, a sport is any physical GAME that requires skill and/or endurance, just like Deadbob said.

With my simple definition, dancing, cheerleading are not sports. Any physical race would be a sport (remember *playing* "last one to the X is a rotten egg?).

---

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:56 PM on j-body.org
KOTL:

Hockey, the goalie when out of the crease can be just liek other players, except, he's the only one that can freeze the puck, and not get a delay of game penalty, and, if you try to move around in goal pads, you know why they get somewhat preferential treatment.. it's damned hard to fight back when you're wearing a ton more pads than the other guys...

Also, Teams can elect to have another on-ice position fill a penalty for a goalie. Mainly because a goalie will go COLD in the box and that increases risk of injury, and, if the penalty is that bad (like smacking a ref in the throat with the narrow end of the stick) they'll eject the goalie and sub in a new one.

Plus...

It's such a bitch to get in and out of the door in goal pads.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:14 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:
To me, a sport is any physical GAME that requires skill and/or endurance, just like Deadbob said.

With my simple definition, dancing, cheerleading are not sports. Any physical race would be a sport (remember *playing* "last one to the X is a rotten egg?).

So you are saying dancing and cheerleading do not require any skill or endurance? You can get up right now and do some routines because if it isn't a skill, you should know everything already?

Also by your definition, playing the piano is a sport.

Merrian-Webster
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English skil, from Old Norse, distinction, knowledge; probably akin to Old English scylian to separate, sciell shell -- more at SHELL
1 obsolete : CAUSE, REASON
2 a : the ability to use one's knowledge effectively and readily in execution or performance b : dexterity or coordination especially in the execution of learned physical tasks
3 : a learned power of doing something competently : a developed aptitude or ability <language skills>

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:22 AM on j-body.org
Glace (GP) wrote:
AGuSTiN wrote:

So you are saying dancing and cheerleading do not require any skill or endurance? You can get up right now and do some routines because if it isn't a skill, you should know everything already?

Also by your definition, playing the piano is a sport.

Merrian-Webster
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English skil, from Old Norse, distinction, knowledge; probably akin to Old English scylian to separate, sciell shell -- more at SHELL
1 obsolete : CAUSE, REASON
2 a : the ability to use one's knowledge effectively and readily in execution or performance b : dexterity or coordination especially in the execution of learned physical tasks
3 : a learned power of doing something competently : a developed aptitude or ability

You would be correct, but Agustine threw in the word "game." Cheerleading is clearly not a game, so he covered himself.

Also, playing piano is not a game, so the argument is void.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:46 AM on j-body.org
^^ Exactly.

---

Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:37 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

KOTL:

Hockey, the goalie when out of the crease can be just liek other players, except, he's the only one that can freeze the puck, and not get a delay of game penalty, and, if you try to move around in goal pads, you know why they get somewhat preferential treatment.. it's damned hard to fight back when you're wearing a ton more pads than the other guys...

Also, Teams can elect to have another on-ice position fill a penalty for a goalie. Mainly because a goalie will go COLD in the box and that increases risk of injury, and, if the penalty is that bad (like smacking a ref in the throat with the narrow end of the stick) they'll eject the goalie and sub in a new one.

Plus...

It's such a bitch to get in and out of the door in goal pads.

So, let 'em earn their paycheck. It's the same reason i say get rid of the quarterback slide rule in football. Let them earn their paucheck. After all, they use pads--they don't in Rugby or Aussie rules. But at least hockey is up there in the sports that have body counts similar to a small civil war--it's why i think Golf needs landmines.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:42 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Game: non contact play of skill

Sport: Play of skill that involves contact.

Using this rationale, the only 3 sports there are is: Hockey, Football and Pugilism (boxing/martial arts).

Baseball is merely a game because there is not supposed to be physical contact that is sanctioned by the rules.

guess youve never played allot of soccer or basketball.

you'd really need to define the term contact as well. touching a person could be considered contact as well as takling them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:59 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Football: Not bad, but GET RID OF THE PUSSY QUARTERBACK SLIDE RULE, SPINKING THE BALL, AND FAIR CATCHES. Alsom the season is too short--Hockey, Rugby, lacrosse, aussie rules--all are more violent and their season is longer. Also, put the goalpost back in the endzone.

Your suggestions on football sound alot like the CFL keeper.

Not to threadjack or anything.... but Go Rockets Go. Game #1 with the T-Birds is friday. I can't wait.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Thursday, April 07, 2005 12:32 PM on j-body.org
The rockets are going down like a catholic schoolboy unto a preist <insert groans here>

yeah, but i doubt that the CFL has the goalpost in the endzone. i still think that if hockey platers can do a 70+ game season, so could footballers.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, April 07, 2005 1:17 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Real wrestling(not the WWE stuff

sure about that? that is as much as a sport as the rest of them.
yeah it is planned out. but after getting slammed night after night, city after city it starts to hurt. the WWE has no off season. they are on the road 300 days out of the year traveling all over the US, Canada and other countries. they hardly ever get to see there familys. and despite what some may say, its more real than what most think. think you can go week after week not seeing your family? go and wrestle with injuries that in any other sport you get sidelined for a few weeks? think you can go and chat on the mic in front of 12,000 people in an arena? with millions more watching at home?
if you think you can, id love to see you try

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!

Thursday, April 07, 2005 1:39 PM on j-body.org
99redz24 wrote:
sure about that? that is as much as a sport as the rest of them.
yeah it is planned out. but after getting slammed night after night, city after city it starts to hurt. the WWE has no off season. they are on the road 300 days out of the year traveling all over the US, Canada and other countries. they hardly ever get to see there familys. and despite what some may say, its more real than what most think. think you can go week after week not seeing your family? go and wrestle with injuries that in any other sport you get sidelined for a few weeks? think you can go and chat on the mic in front of 12,000 people in an arena? with millions more watching at home?
if you think you can, id love to see you try

You're confused. Being an athlete, and doing something athletic doesn't mean you're participating in a sport..... and on the flip side, participating in a sport doesn't make you an athlete!

Pro wrestlers are CERTAINLY athletes, and I know people will bash pro wrestling all day long as silly, but damn you just have to admire what they put themselves through to entertain people. But as great as many of them are with their athletisism, they aren't participating in a sport. Simply because theirs no game being played.

---

Thursday, April 07, 2005 3:46 PM on j-body.org
^^^Agrees...athletic, yes, but not a sport.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, April 07, 2005 4:10 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

The rockets are going down like a catholic schoolboy unto a preist <insert groans here>

Them be fightin words !!!

In the CFL the uprights are at the back of the endzones.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 5:49 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

your own words AGuSTiN. and by that, pro wrestling is a sport.
they train for years to learn the moves right so they can do them correctly so they dont hurt themselves or someone else. and Endurance? like i said, they go from city to city, day after day doing that. matches have lasted anywhere from 20 minutes to over 60 minutes.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search