Oil, Gas, Recycling plastics - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil, Gas, Recycling plastics
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 6:13 PM on j-body.org
The price of crude oil goes up, the cost of gas goes up... we all complain, the news reports it as a top story, and congress debates it up and down.
What about all the other lovely products that rely on petroleum? We live in a plastic society that would be nothing without petroleum-based products... and will be nothing when the cost of oil is so high that we'll be melting down our children's toys for milk jugs.
Every community has garbage collection. Not every community has recycling collection. Many communities have recycling bins at locations in town where you can drive to while burning petroleum-based gasoline and wearing petroleum-based tires to recycle the petroleum-based plastic and barely make a dent in our worldwide problem. ....but at least it's SOMETHING
Petroleum industry doesn't need to fund recycling yet... there are no real alternatives in fuel so they've got a solid customer base for a long long time.
Congress doesn't need to fund recycling yet... no matter how much people complain, the majority of people would rather spend tax money on social programs and homeland security.
Changes I'd like to see... hybrid powered recycling collection trucks in every community across north america collecting recycles at least once per month to start. 5 cent deposit program extended beyond a handful of states for soda cans and bottles. Make it commonplace to put out one bag of trash, one bag of recycles every week for collection. The only way people will recycle is if you take it to their front door.

Give 100 years and the most reliable place to find material to manufacture plastic products will be a landfill because petroleum will be so expensive that milk will come in glass bottles and your computer mouse will be carved from wood.

Re: Oil, Gas, Recycling plastics
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:33 PM on j-body.org
no...hybrids are not the answer....as long as there are hybrids, we will be suckling at the oil company's teet.. what we need is to deplete this resource(fast), so we can move on to ethanol....

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:41 PM on j-body.org
Plastics can be made from vegitable matter.. In fact, in making ethanol, the extract from corn yeilds 3 by products, Meal, Carbon dioxide, and husks. The husks can be crushed and refined into various plastics, the meal is used as animal feed, and the CO2 is used in the beverage industry.

The only problem: it costs 4x what oil costs.

Maybe instead of just having a few select industries making cuts in fossil fuels use, we start crediting people's taxes and help funding of Diesel/Bio-Diesel/Ethanol and alternative powered vehicles with part of the money Gov't takes as hidden taxation.

Just my Idea.. hopefully ethanol refining becomes a much more streamlined process.

BTW, Most tires are still made of rubber, and some petroleum distillates... basically the junk thats left over after extracting the crude oil for hydro-cracking, and the nat. gas and gasoline. You don't just burn off solids that are left over.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 9:04 PM on j-body.org
hydrogen powerd cars by gm

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:49 PM on j-body.org
Hydrogen powered space capsules by NASA

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, April 08, 2005 9:29 PM on j-body.org
I dont know if there is much room for any of us on this board to complain about peoples usage of petroluem products. Most, if not all of us modify our cars to an extent that they burn more gas. We drive to uneeded destinations. Or even those of use who change our oil every 3000 miles when really it isnt needed that often. Not that anyone was really complaining about usage problems but we can look at it in many different ways. I personaly think that petoleum is a one time resource for almost any people that will live on this earth until it becomes just a blob of nothing. THe refining of petroleum products is a quite old process. You look at how everything has advanced over the last 100 years you can see that one thing hasnt really changed much, besides unleaded fuels and smaller engines in vehicles. So why havn't we changed how we burn fuels or what we burn much? why change now when it works? There is no evidence of when our resources will be depleted. When that time comes someone will find a solution. It might not be the most cost effective, but then we will end up back in the times of Ford model T. Most people wont own one of these vehicle but as technology changes accordingly your going to see things move up to a senario much like we have now.
Saturday, April 09, 2005 12:35 PM on j-body.org
<sigh>

I recycle my oil, and my used brake parts, for that matter
I don't drive anywhere unnecessarily--i take the bus to work.
My car gets BETTER mileage than stock.
I recycle 99% all of my plastic bags i get while shopping for food--the others i use as trash bags around the house.

we will run out of petroleum, and soon. I'm hoping sooner than later because if nothing else, it will bring the U.S. to it's knees like Monica Lewinsky.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search