Why mod a 2.2OHV? - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Why mod a 2.2OHV?
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 8:02 PM on j-body.org
L33tJbody (Brandon Gathye) wrote:First of all let me say this..I'm not trying to be a jerk
I'm just wondering what you guys/girls feel the point in modding the engine is..
Is it just you guys doing the best with what cha got or what?..if so i can respect that

because its what i have. i know it will never be the fastest unless i pour tens of thousands of dollars in it. but its the only thing i could afford at the time, and whatever motor i got, i was going to mod it. i like to tinker, like to pull as much as i can out of what i have

Land Pirates sail the open roads
DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
others as well as myself may learn.
Premium sinc 6-17-04

Thursday, May 12, 2005 12:21 PM on j-body.org
the nice thing about moding the 2200 engine is it's already low compression has dish type pistons and as repeated over and over no body really has a fast 2200(i know people have them but not many)

i am talking with jbodyperformance.com as we speak working on getting a short block built and ready to put in next i have to call rsm and see if i can get a smaller pulley to get more boost.......

i bought the car for $6k with 9609 miles on it... and then i realized the parts are out there to make it into a quick car....

and the best part about any of this is i dont give a fuk what you all have to say i do what i want and what i want is a fast ohv motor

2000 Dark metallica green cavalier. (2.2 2200) pace setter 4-1 header, magna flow cat, dual quad tip dtm muffler, 1800 watt stereo with satalite radio, momo 16in rims, rk sport strut bar, rear vibrant strut bar, indeglow gauge cluster along with matching hvac panel, clear corner lenses, altezz tails, Crossdilled slotted roters with ceramic brake pads, carbon fiber oem style hood, rsm lightened crank pulley, MSD Ignition coil packs, RSM Vortech Supercharger 8psi, 300cc venom injectors....

"Disarters are just another star falling in my yard."
Thursday, May 12, 2005 4:11 PM on j-body.org
L33tJbody (Brandon Gathye) wrote:First of all let me say this..I'm not trying to be a jerk
I'm just wondering what you guys/girls feel the point in modding the engine is..
Is it just you guys doing the best with what cha got or what?..if so i can respect that

considering one has already made a 2.2ohv a 13 second car naturally aspirated, which most 2.4 and ecotecs havent really done that much on a large scale, thats just proof that it can hang with the other two engines on an avg person basis.

the avg person isnt gonna spend thousands on thousands with the car.

if you are gonna ask that question you might as well ask, why mod a small sport compact car, if you can give a decent answer to that, the same can be applied to almost any sport compact regardless of engine size.

Thursday, May 12, 2005 4:22 PM on j-body.org
Good to see you back, Event...it's been kinda boring here with out you

I haven't said much on this, but i agree...but even further:

Think of the people that mod their cars ęsthetically--what does it mater what engine you have in it?

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, May 13, 2005 9:14 AM on j-body.org
i think we need to come to a general consensus as to what "fast" is..
ie, 1/4 mile time, 1/8 mile time, hp/cu in, HP/L, hp/weight, etc ,etc ,etc....

I mean, consider the following. Most old school muscle cars were 14 second-15 second cars... is that fast?

Friday, May 13, 2005 9:26 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]Good to see you back, Event...it's been kinda boring here with out you

I haven't said much on this, but i agree...but even further:

Think of the people that mod their cars ęsthetically--what does it mater what engine you have in it?

hows it brah, so far so good to be back. people i missed, def cool.

same ole drama... ehhh...

Friday, May 13, 2005 9:35 AM on j-body.org
EastCoastBeast II wrote:i think we need to come to a general consensus as to what "fast" is..
ie, 1/4 mile time, 1/8 mile time, hp/cu in, HP/L, hp/weight, etc ,etc ,etc....

I mean, consider the following. Most old school muscle cars were 14 second-15 second cars... is that fast?

there will never be a general consensus only cause the bar continually is raised and is compared to other outside sources.

for example, a 1/4 mile car thats fast might be considered 12-13 second car....

but a car with gobs of horsepower, but same in weight...prob will be considered slow, but still run 12-13;s, although others who have lightned the car run 10's

then you have autoX which is where i prefer. i might not run 12's and 13's, but my lap times have been faster than some cars that DO run 12's and 13's

then you have those who are maybe boosted with a large turbo, their 1/8th mile might be avg in fast, but then again when the turbo really kicks in etc, might turn in slightly faster times than the guys with the regular turbos, but makes way more peak HP.

another example is some on here have taken 18 second cars and made 13 second cars out of em, shaving 5 full seconds. others have taken a mid 15 second car and made it into a mid to high 14 second car. the person who only dropped a second or so (and i have seen it) has actually posted that the person who shaved 5 seconds off his car still isnt FAST, although faster than him, because he knows someone that runs 12's with way more power than the car with 5 seconds shaved.

every car has so many variables, that honestly, in real world terms, i doubt a consensus will ever be reached. sad aint it?

Friday, May 13, 2005 10:41 AM on j-body.org
Welcome back, by the way...Where've u been sir?

How goes the J-body?

On a side note, how much of a difference in handling will i see from changing my coil springs out to harder ones.. like anything noticable or no?.i figured you'd be the one to ask.

Friday, May 13, 2005 3:02 PM on j-body.org
Dumbest question ever.

RIP
Friday, May 13, 2005 8:27 PM on j-body.org
not quite, i'm not lowering it..

Friday, May 13, 2005 8:32 PM on j-body.org
ie, how hard can i go with the coilsprings before i'll need to upgrade my shocks as well

Friday, May 13, 2005 8:47 PM on j-body.org
All I have to say is...........

Fear this 2.2, BITCHES!!

Friday, May 13, 2005 9:00 PM on j-body.org
hahah aLowfire > anythign the guy who brought this topic up has

Friday, May 13, 2005 9:15 PM on j-body.org
should I be scared or aroused

Friday, May 13, 2005 9:41 PM on j-body.org
afraid of what, a motor with only 2 rockers?

i'm just kidding, looks mean tho.

Saturday, May 14, 2005 7:37 AM on j-body.org
EastCoastBeast II wrote:Welcome back, by the way...Where've u been sir?

How goes the J-body?

On a side note, how much of a difference in handling will i see from changing my coil springs out to harder ones.. like anything noticable or no?.i figured you'd be the one to ask.
sup, brah.

mainly been doing more the athletic things the past 6 months. car is normal, same ole same ole really. still waiting for the finish of http://www.angelfire.com/md/TOWSONFTBLPLYR/PROject2200.html

turns out when me and scruf were at the yard the day before i went back and got it, these guys were like "we need the lifters and the holders" being nice i was like sure go ahead.

now mines on hold mainly cause theres a national back order on....."lifter holders" not even the lifters, but the holders.

so thats where the engine stands.

for the springs question. i can look up some stuff for ya today. i know your car is heavier, and RWD sometimes has reverse setup on spring rates as FWD as to where the stiffest goes.

i;d also have to check out a few sites on the shocks.

but how much a difference? will mainly depend on what you use it for. lets say you get stiffer rear springs mainly to decrease weight transfer in drag racing. can make a decent difference, but maybe doing something like taking sharp turns or u turns... will make it easier to overload the wheels traction.

usually the stiffer you go, the more you notice, and usually once you near double the spring rate of stock, thats when the struts are more apt to be pew pew.

Saturday, May 14, 2005 3:52 PM on j-body.org
RGR RGR, thank you sir...are you still on aim?

Sunday, May 15, 2005 9:40 AM on j-body.org
i am but not often. some late nights and all, but its usually with an away message

check this, its a camaro firebird tech spec, if this is accurate that should list stock spring rates. http://tech.firebirdv6.com/suspension.html

its a firebird/camaro site.

still looking on damper info.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 6:42 PM on j-body.org
Why do I mod my 2200. I do it because it is my car and I can do what I want to it. I had an '85 corolla gts (pos from hell) slightly modified and I would get beat by a Z24 with intake and exhaust. but I could turn around and hang with the Z with my sunfire, odd how that compares. It's not about what and how many mods you add on will make you faster or slower. it's all depending on the driver and thier skill. To take an 17 sec. car and shave off 2 to 5 seconds I would consider that person a car enthusiast. But to have all show and no go is a ricer. everybody has a different style, thats why we mod 2.2's because its our style and we're not gonna change just because somebody thinks its a money pit, everything you do to whatever car is a moneypit. Speed cost how fast are you willing to go. the only difference between a 10- second car and a 15 second car is just the numbers but you can ask both drivers if they enjoy what they do and I bet they would agree. As long as my car beats all these riced out civics with cheap a@# parts I'm happy. (hondas have cheap parts because they're everywhere) to have a car that is slightly more rare in mods and performance is what counts the most, limited supplies, manufacturers and the opportunity to be one of a kind is the difference I see.

4 months in Korea = 17" rims
4 months in Iraq = Bodykit
Not having mommy and daddy pay for everything = priceless
Sunday, May 15, 2005 8:02 PM on j-body.org
seems we should also have a post about why everyone seems to compare and only care about honda this and honda that....

seems anyone and everyone is happy cause they beat a civic, a car with less power than yours comes with stock in most cases.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 8:45 PM on j-body.org
The funny thing is its not always about honda this and honda that. I just used it as an example. If you've ever been to japan they're treated like j-body's here, nobody wants one cause everybody else has one. No matter how fast your car is, no matter what engine you have, no matter what upgrades you have done to make it faster, There will always be another car faster than yours, thats the straight up truth. As long as people enjoy modifying thier car and enjoy driving it thats all that matters. I'm happy, I have no debt, and I still enjoying beating most other cars. overall I could really care less about everyone and thier Z or ecotec think, they're prob had thier a$$ handed to them on a platter by another less powerful car. I've been beaten by others oh well just another day.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 10:11 PM on j-body.org
daniel arellano wrote:The funny thing is its not always about honda this and honda that. I just used it as an example. If you've ever been to japan they're treated like j-body's here, nobody wants one cause everybody else has one. No matter how fast your car is, no matter what engine you have, no matter what upgrades you have done to make it faster, There will always be another car faster than yours, thats the straight up truth. As long as people enjoy modifying thier car and enjoy driving it thats all that matters. I'm happy, I have no debt, and I still enjoying beating most other cars. overall I could really care less about everyone and thier Z or ecotec think, they're prob had thier a$$ handed to them on a platter by another less powerful car. I've been beaten by others oh well just another day.

yes i;ve lived there, and many other overseas places. hell i am from germany.

its just pretty much most in america seem to use "honda" or "civic" as the mainstay of comparing whatever their car is, from a transam, corvette, focus, etc...

its always like some personal vendetta "to not be like Honda/honduh/civics"

more or less an overused example.

just odd to see everyone always complain about a civic, but you never hear many talk about cars that actually might promote a challenge, like srt4's or even in europe, cosworth rs's.

in human terms, the way people always compare their cars being better than a civic or honda, is like a pro athlete comparing himself to a highschool athlete.

but everyone talks down to the civic. when basically cavaliers are more or less the domestic civic, but 10 years behind the civic in parts availability and prestige.

just a rhetorical question and stuff i;ve noticed over the years. prob one of the reasons theres so much animosity between people based on WHAT you drive.

Monday, May 16, 2005 3:47 AM on j-body.org
I've been contemplating getting RSM's new 2.5 hybrid s/c crate engine. That with a few extra upgrades would be more than enough to go against srt's and maybe even wrx's and evo's..... worth the shot. Yeah honda's are an overused statement. but in the town I live in there is a mostly honda's and I seem to be the only person that has a modified J-body, I love it here why, cause people don't expect my car to do the things I do with it, Auto-X, mountain road course, even straight up drag racing. And to have guys with hooked up honda's giving me kudos for what I've done and what I can do with my car makes me wanna go even more into modifications. I do it for the excitement of seeing what one mod or a whole list of mods can make a difference and to also prove that I can keep up with these guys and there rides.

Monday, June 13, 2005 7:54 PM on j-body.org
you can put whatever you want on your car. . who cares if its like a sticker or a race tuned engine. . .u can do it because that would make you feel better

also, i dont know how people are gonna compare a 1.8t and a civic Si to a 2.2 or 2200 since the VW is turbo and the Si is top line civic. . compare the base cav to the base civic or golf. at least u might stand a chance against these. the base civic is 117hp and prob like no torque, the VW has from 100- 115.

i am not modding my 97 2.2 to be faster than a Z06, i am modding it to make it better than how i got it from the dealer. some people think if u mod a car it has to be beacuse it is to be the fastest in the world . .no one here is tryin to break a land speed record.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search