Military options - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Military options
Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:50 AM on j-body.org
Dont know if this goes in here or not but I figured if I were to put it in here I might have more military responses. I am a jr. in highschool and really looking at going into the Navy right after I graduate. I am taking a class where I am getting CISCO certified and if everything works out i will have 32 college hrs. at a jr college up in stl. Just was wondering what you guys did that were in the military. Also how it worked out? Off to english. Thank you

2nd place is the 1st loser

Re: Military options
Thursday, April 21, 2005 9:18 AM on j-body.org
DONT GO !!!!!!!

You can get money else where. Listen you'll go to the navy for 4 years then you'll start your college career at 23 yrs of age and if you finish in 4yrs most likley not you'll be 27 with a degree that you could of had at age 23!

DONT GO!!

" Im 18 more mature than you" - Bortsy!!
Thursday, April 21, 2005 10:35 AM on j-body.org
depends on the job you take in the military, i enlisted in the army for aircraft avionics repair for a 6 year contract, and now that im on my way out of the military, i've been offered a 100,000 dollar a year job, and im 24 years old, military training is a good thing if its for a job that is in demand

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:15 AM on j-body.org
I went into the Navy after a couple of years of college. I was in the Nuclear Propulsion Program (I operated the reactors on submarines). It's not an easy program, I had about a year and a half of school before they let sent me to a sub. It also required a 6 year contract. I ended up spending 9 years there. I decided not to follow the nuclear operator route after I left the navy because of the politics. I still made over $120k last year not including the $26k they put into a profit sharing account for me when I retire. There are many companies that look to that specific program to recruit people.
Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:21 AM on j-body.org
Destiny Harley wrote:DONT GO !!!!!!!

You can get money else where. Listen you'll go to the navy for 4 years then you'll start your college career at 23 yrs of age and if you finish in 4yrs most likley not you'll be 27 with a degree that you could of had at age 23!

DONT GO!!

no offense but don't listen to her. You can get a degree while your in the Navy. Almost all bases have college classes on base. A lot of universities come on base to teach classes for military personel.

I was an MP in the Marines and was stationed at MCRD San Diego. There I had taken many classes for Electrical Engineering. Now, thanks to the military, just like mikec2003 is experiencing, I have a great job with my power company here in MD making 80,000 a year.

The only concern right now, and I am sure you thought this through, is that the war is going on. Chances are you might be shipped away. You have to consider that. But the Navy and Airforce strives for education so you will not have a problem getting your degree.

Alex
Thursday, April 21, 2005 2:44 PM on j-body.org
Destiny Harley wrote:DONT GO !!!!!!!

DONT GO!!

I'm not quite sure where they got their info. I'm active duty AF and didn't want to pursue college when I got in but I just registered for classes today. Not to mention i got credits from all of my military schools. Depending on your job you might be able to attend some classes during your work hours. If not then they offer classes on base or online classes. Remember it's 100% tuition assistance.

Thursday, April 21, 2005 2:58 PM on j-body.org
^ Not only that, but there are programs out there where you can delay your active duty to pursue a college degree, so not only do you get a degree, but you get full military benefits (pay, food, and housing allowance), and 100% tuition paid for. You have to give them an extra year or two, but the educations you can get are worth much more than that in the end.

I'm not sure where Destiny gets her info, but really isn't right at all. Here's how an employer looks at it:

1. 4 years of steady employment
2. 4 year college degree
3. Military background (always a plus in any job)

And here's what you get:
1. A full college ride, paid for, instead of having outrageous debt for 10-20 years depending on the school.
2. A guarenteed job for the next 4-6 years.
3. Free certifications in your job field
4. Military benefits after active duty
5. If you retire in active duty (only 20 years of service), you get your ending pay for the rest of your life, and burial and funeral expenses for you and your spouse.

I wish I could have done that, but I was rejected by every military branch I tried to join (Air Force, Marines, Navy, Army). Now I have a huge debt for the next 20 years and I get to pay for certifications and my own burial

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, April 21, 2005 6:00 PM on j-body.org
I'm in the same boat that Z24princess is in. And Shifted is right. The military is not a bad thing to do as long as you get a job that you would enjoy. I've been in the Air Force for 4 years and just got offered a job to work for GE on wind mills. $30 an hour is awesome. Thats with no degree yet. Just 4 years of Avionics.

Now Back from Iraq!
With More Favor and Less Calories
Working on the engine... Soon to be complete.
Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:25 PM on j-body.org
Well I would really like to purse with computer networking/computer tech. The way this world is changing computers will be the way of life in years to come. My dad is a state trooper and I love law enforcement so in other ways I would love to be an MP. Like shifted said the navy has a delayed entry program so I could go to college for awhile then go into the military. I really don't know what I want right now that is why I am just asking questions. I really don't like school but I think if I could major in a subject that I like and really enjoy it could be diff from high school where there is one class I really enjoy. I know if I talk to a recruiter they will tell me a lot of crap or at least that is what I am told by others. Thank you for the answerers keep posting cuz the more I know the easier it will be to decided. Also about the war right now yes its going on and yes I know I could be sent over and I would say well I would be dieing for the freedom of America but after thinking about stuff and reading some post here on the org the war right now is not about Americans freedom but I still got a year to decided and maybe the war will be over with who knows. Later

Friday, April 22, 2005 3:29 AM on j-body.org
Trevor D. wrote:Well I would really like to purse with computer networking/computer tech. The way this world is changing computers will be the way of life in years to come. My dad is a state trooper and I love law enforcement so in other ways I would love to be an MP. Like shifted said the navy has a delayed entry program so I could go to college for awhile then go into the military. I really don't know what I want right now that is why I am just asking questions. I really don't like school but I think if I could major in a subject that I like and really enjoy it could be diff from high school where there is one class I really enjoy. I know if I talk to a recruiter they will tell me a lot of crap or at least that is what I am told by others. Thank you for the answerers keep posting cuz the more I know the easier it will be to decided. Also about the war right now yes its going on and yes I know I could be sent over and I would say well I would be dieing for the freedom of America but after thinking about stuff and reading some post here on the org the war right now is not about Americans freedom but I still got a year to decided and maybe the war will be over with who knows. Later

Hey, I dont know what the career field for the Navy is for Cisco/Routing/Lan Management but that is my career field for the Air Force. If you want to enlist the career field is 3C2's. After you go through basic training and the school, a total of about 6 months you will come out with another 34 college credits. You can attend the Community College of the Air Force for free to get your associates or you can take class's at the Universities off base 100% tuition free. You will also get your GI Bill for when you get out, $32,000 for college. Dont worry about getting deployed, if you sign up for the right career field and arent out in the field a whole lot you will be able to take college class's online while your deployed.
Friday, April 22, 2005 4:18 AM on j-body.org
Depending on the branch does the military not also fly people out to your location if there are enough people taking a selected course?

I'll weigh in to counter Destiny: The military is not a bad option, just bear in mind the deployments, and the fact that you could possibly die...

If that's not a big concern for you, I'd say go for it.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, April 22, 2005 7:54 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
I'll weigh in to counter Destiny: The military is not a bad option, just bear in mind the deployments, and the fact that you could possibly die...

There's more of a chance of you dying on the drive to work or school everyday. Plus, if you are going to die, why not die for something, than for nothing... Another topic of discussion

Friday, April 22, 2005 8:01 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Depending on the branch does the military not also fly people out to your location if there are enough people taking a selected course?

Deployments should not bother your class's if you sign up for right career field. Im in Iraq right now and am taking online courses everyday. Obviously if you are infantry you are not going to be online taking courses while you are overseas.
Friday, April 22, 2005 8:43 AM on j-body.org
Rollin 24 wrote:
Hey, I dont know what the career field for the Navy is for Cisco/Routing/Lan Management but that is my career field for the Air Force. If you want to enlist the career field is 3C2's. After you go through basic training and the school, a total of about 6 months you will come out with another 34 college credits. You can attend the Community College of the Air Force for free to get your associates or you can take class's at the Universities off base 100% tuition free. You will also get your GI Bill for when you get out, $32,000 for college. Dont worry about getting deployed, if you sign up for the right career field and arent out in the field a whole lot you will be able to take college class's online while your deployed.

SO can I ask what you do since you are in that feild and also what you did for your college?

Friday, April 22, 2005 10:13 AM on j-body.org
..here's my suggestion...finish college, then go in as an officer....

Friday, April 22, 2005 7:38 PM on j-body.org
EastCoastBeast II wrote:..here's my suggestion...finish college, then go in as an officer....

I wouldn't do that, its the absolute hardest way to be an officer. ROTC programs or one of the academies if you are especially lucky.

Sunday, April 24, 2005 1:54 PM on j-body.org
military is a good way to go. i'm in navy in the nuke program and my current command supports and encourages college classes. i'll be getting my degree here shortly but it is still a toss up on whether i stay or go
Sunday, April 24, 2005 3:02 PM on j-body.org
It's not the hardest by any stretch of the imagination....just make sure that you graduate with some sort of technical degree...

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:33 PM on j-body.org
you can always go to college and then join the military if you would like to...i also looked into military, i looked into marines, army and airforce im leaning air force, but anyway....they told me i would start off as a higher rank and if u go to a 4 year college you have that choice of becoming an officer...im not sure they would pay for your college not that you already have gone through it but still you always have a couple years...

ZeRo
2001 Chevy Cavalier
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:58 PM on j-body.org
go af

aircraft structural maint

Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:01 AM on j-body.org
ill be leaving here in three weeks for the Marines. Im goin in for Aviation Electronics Tech. Also, why go to college before hand?? I mean doesnt the whole paying for a 4 year college just to rank higher to start out with mean that you still payin for all that money. sure, you can use your GI bill to pay for 75 percent of that money you already spent for college. But in my eyes it would be smarter to go in, get classes while you are in and advance in other ways. that way you are still gettin promoted but dont have college to pay for. i went to a community college for a year and a half cuz it was cheap. but i had close to 40 credits. they look at 15 credits at a C or better, if you have that then you start out PFC. By this time next year its lookin like ill be Corporal. i dunno bout you guys but thats pretty good in my eyes to be that far along in less than a year.

"Lil Brudder! He's got the heart of a champion!"

Thursday, April 28, 2005 1:37 PM on j-body.org
College isn't the only way to get an advanced promotion. The college I had before wasn't necessary for my rank. Everyone in the Nuke program starts as an E3, after completion of "A" school (from 12 to 26 weeks depending on your rate) there's an automatic advancement to E4.

I was only in the Navy for a year and 3 months before I had attained E5 and only in 5 years till I was advanced to E6.

Rob Blackburn wrote:Also, why go to college before hand?? I mean doesnt the whole paying for a 4 year college just to rank higher to start out with mean that you still payin for all that money.

The difference is that you can go in as an officer. More pay, more rank, more responsibility. It's more difficult to get into an officer program without a degree.

Shifted wrote:5. If you retire in active duty (only 20 years of service), you get your ending pay for the rest of your life

You might want to check that. When I was in the retirement was 35% of your BASE pay which doesn't include extras like sub pay, sea pay, basic allowance for quarters, basic allowance for food, combat pay, etc. It's substantially less than your overall pay. There are people I know who retired when it was 50% of your base, There getting around $1200 a month. Not exactally enough to live on, but the health insurance is a bonus also.
Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:18 PM on j-body.org
Rob Blackburn wrote: Also, why go to college before hand??
Quote:

because like me i get free 2 years a local community college so im going to take up that offer, yes i would like to go to 4 year college and military pay for it but y not take up this offer i have till im 27 to join (air force)...plus im planning on opening up my own business after college if that doesnt go well always have a back up plan...

ZeRo
2001 Chevy Cavalier
Thursday, April 28, 2005 5:47 PM on j-body.org
Three words about college in the military--- 100% Tuition Assistance. Free education and on the job training you can't get anywhere else.
Thursday, April 28, 2005 8:23 PM on j-body.org
So what it sounds like is that most of you are saying that going right into the military and getting my college paid for while getting training for what ever feild I do decide to go into is the best way.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search