College: Worth it..or no - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
College: Worth it..or no
Thursday, May 19, 2005 6:11 PM on j-body.org
So what are your thoughts on college? Some people say nah some day yah. I am still up in the air. I finished 4years of college last spring and so far and i dont see it as paying off. I also know many of my friends have spent over 90k on their education and work at the local food store. Though obviously you need a high education in order to become a doctor. But overall, what are your thoughts on it? Whats your take on it all.

Re: College: Worth it..or no
Thursday, May 19, 2005 6:19 PM on j-body.org
Ive waited. Im 25, and actually just enrolled into the University Of Phoenix Online College. For my situation, it was worth it to wait. I had no idea what i wanted to do. I hopped around from job to job, now ive been somewhere almost 5 years whene i have had opportunity to move up and be successful. Now that I am considered a "rising star" at my business (General Electric Consumer Finance), college can really do nothing but help me out in my quest to move higher in the business.

Thursday, May 19, 2005 6:56 PM on j-body.org
It depends on the field. I saw a guy with a masters from Oxford university selling vacuum cleaners and another with a Masters in environmental science from Duke delivering pizzas.
Thursday, May 19, 2005 8:26 PM on j-body.org
Well, I went through University... got an MS in comp. Eng, I ended up working with Compaq, and got laid off, I don't work in the tech industry anymore, but I don't really care that much about it anymore.

Higher learning isn't just about learning a trade, or a skill...

You go there to learn as much about yourself as your chose vocation. You put as much into your education as you take out. If you look at it solely as an extension of highschool, you're missing the point.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, May 19, 2005 9:28 PM on j-body.org
as a graduate, i would say its worth it by far.

learn as much as you possibly can. in college i took classes from computer ethics 418 to womens studies 331. granted my majors are comm studies and mass comm and 2 minors in 5.5 years, but i learned a great range.

and when you get your job, sometimes you will have to do something you dont wanna at first.

but then again in life, you gotta do things you dont wanna do to get where you gotta get.

Thursday, May 19, 2005 9:40 PM on j-body.org
Education is good, but you really need to pick a field where you can apply your skills.

For example, a degree in anthropology is better than nothing, but try finding a job in that field.

I just finished university myself. I've got two degrees and a diploma, and I work at Staples.

Granted, I'm a teacher, so jobs are rather hard to come by over the summer, but still, you have to pay your dues.

However, just having the degree says that you're willing to put up with a lot of bull. Basically, it's an expensive piece of paper telling prospective employers that you could at least make it through...you'd be surprised at the amount of people who can't.

Friday, May 20, 2005 7:33 AM on j-body.org
Really depends on what you want to do and where you plan on going. If you have no motiveation and are perfectly happy working on a line or constuction, then you have no need for school, but I would have to say in most fields, if you want to advance, there is a ceiling that you can't get past without that degree.

But like what degenerated said, for the large part, a degree just shows that you are willing to put up with all the crap and you have the ability to make it. 99% of most jobs can be learned on the job.

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Friday, May 20, 2005 8:20 AM on j-body.org
For sure I would say yah. It's better to have higher learning now then not doing it and finding out later that you would like some because you won't have the time or the money to do it later in life. It also provides for you more opportunities to advance in your career.

But if you are happy working in construction or something, then don't do it.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Friday, May 20, 2005 8:21 AM on j-body.org
Niceguy4186 wrote:but I would have to say in most fields, if you want to advance, there is a ceiling that you can't get past without that degree.

I would have to very much agree to that...I work for the government and that flat out told me at my last performance review that I am an outstanding employee and I do my job well but they will not promote me to the next grade until I graduate...I only have a handful of classes left to take.

Friday, May 20, 2005 9:58 AM on j-body.org
Stephanie: Yep.. I know a lot of people that can't make it to latent/certification examiner because they don't have a degree.

My background isn't suited to fingerprints (actually, computer forensics) but it doesn't matter.

Friday, May 20, 2005 11:48 AM on j-body.org
Steph, I'm in the same boat too (government worker)

but also on a side note, i forget the exact stastics, but someone with a degree makes on the average like 28% more a year than someone who doesn't. have a degree.

Not saying you will automatically make more money... I believe bill gates was a college drop out, but on average...

Friday, May 20, 2005 11:57 AM on j-body.org
Personally i hate college, kinda wondering if i should of got involved or not

i think its all personal prefence, some people just love working outdoors or manual labor....

Friday, May 20, 2005 12:21 PM on j-body.org
I'd say in most cases, yes. Even as far as something like construction, you can learn business management & have a good understanding of how to run your own business. I wouldn't necessarily say a 4-year school, but some sort of further education to help you out in the field that you'd like to work in.

I personally don't think i'd be anywhere if i didn't go on to further schooling. It was almost graduation time & my mom asked me if i wanted to work in a music store the rest of my life - heck no. I pulled myself together pretty quickly to decide what i wanted to do. I wasn't really that excided about what i do - graphic design - until i really got into school and learned about everywhere that it could take me. If i didn't go, i'd probably still be some loser salesperson at a mall.

Saturday, May 21, 2005 9:33 AM on j-body.org
It's worth it for the tail.

Toronto Street Racing | J-Body club of Ontario | J-Body Tech Library
Equality is a Prescription, Not a Description. Learn the Difference, Newbs.
Saturday, May 21, 2005 1:08 PM on j-body.org
yes and no.

there is "glass ceiling" but most competant people are looking for experience, not a piece of paper that tell them that you could tell the professors exactly what they wanted to hear.

Plus, because i have a degree, rather than a diploma, they have to pay me more...

So, i will say this. It will depend on what your degree is in, and how well you can apply that to the real world, which is far different than college.

and...as JinxedZ said...the tail is worth it

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Saturday, May 21, 2005 2:50 PM on j-body.org
The Tail factor is def. worth the price of admission. Unless you're a hairy bastard...

Monday, May 23, 2005 10:11 AM on j-body.org
hey, i know women who did the Robin Williams/gorilla look.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, May 23, 2005 10:33 AM on j-body.org
Hey, i'm a hairy bastard, and i got more than my fair share

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 6:18 PM on j-body.org
it all depends on the person.....im in sales...and i dont need a college background realy for that...im 25 years old and im making round 60 k a year and for the last 4 years ive made more then the previous year.....so for me college would have been a waste....but thats my case...and not everyone else....everyone is different...it depends where you wanna go with your life....i honestly wanna stop what im doing and go back to school to be a crime scene investigator...but with all my bills and my lifestyle i cant afford to...maybe ill win the lotto

Not unintentionally accelerating since 2009!!!!

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 11:26 AM on j-body.org
College is good, but it all comes down to what you do with it. Some people dont need it to be successful like Kandyman. But I totally think its a MUST. Eventually you'll need it to verify your skills and that you can acomplish something. SO i say take the time to go and finish school. Whats the worst that can happen. You finish school and you have a degree. IF you never go, you do not have anything to show for it. Just go!! But going to college doesnt promise a big paycheck. Its just to show you can put your mind to something and finish it.

Warning: Your sig is in violation of rules 4, 5 and 6. Change it before you post again.
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 1:34 PM on j-body.org
KandyMan...Das Deutsche. wrote:i honestly wanna stop what im doing and go back to school to be a crime scene investigator.

NO YOU DON'T!!!

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 1:35 PM on j-body.org
Trust me, It's nothing like Television, and you will vomit at least 3 times your first week because you will catch the gruesome cases.

Yes, I'm not a Crime Scene Unit investigator, but I work with the wet stuff... it's not pretty.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:59 PM on j-body.org
plus the field is so flooded with new students that it would be impossible to find the job.

plus like what GAM said, it's nothing like the show. It was some teacher or something that told me, about 20% of new students interested in that drop out after the firrst day and they find out what it really is

Thursday, May 26, 2005 5:59 AM on j-body.org
thanks for all the great responses. keep them coming!

Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:52 AM on j-body.org
Thanks for the worthwhile post.

Working CSU isn't for the weak of heart, or stomach.

Think of it like this: If you don't think you can be a doctor because of the gore... CSU isn't your thing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search