College: Worth it..or no - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: College: Worth it..or no
Thursday, May 26, 2005 7:14 AM on j-body.org
education is alway worth something... i have 3 diplomas all are some what related.. my last one (industral design) i was finally happy with and am working in my field. mind you it was a year after i graduated that i started working in my field... some of my friends didn't get a job in the field.. and some got amazing jobs.

look at what occupation is hurting for people not the jobs that need people quick. example.. when animation was the thing... there was a massive hire and college enrollment.. now good luck getting a good job in that field. another.. web design or anything related to it.. when the demand was there jobs were a dime a dozen.. now... good luck.

you need to find an occupation where there is always a demand and not a hiring phase. example... engineers, designers (industrial, product, graphic, packaging), autobody, auto mechanics, plumers, electricians, .... you get my drift. The ladder of the list is a bit dirty, and because of that mentality people stay away from that line of work. thus the need and demand.. but it pays off. some of my other friends are into those and are well off. the best part about electricians, plumers etc is that you can do many side jobs and make some sweet cash on the side.

i saw a sweet ad in the paper a few years back... 3 cars... bmw, vette, mercedes... bmw plate said "doc" vette said "law" mercedes "plumer" sooo true

good luck with whatever you choose

Thursday, May 26, 2005 7:46 AM on j-body.org
Here is an article from the NEW YORK TIMES. I hope the link works.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/24/national/class/EDUCATION-FINAL.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5070&en=a8c742cb773b690c&ex=1117771200

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me
Thursday, May 26, 2005 8:59 AM on j-body.org
It's been said a lot, you make more money with a diploma than without.

My advice is to find a trade that you like (ie engineering, electrician, doctor, whatever) learn about it, and if you don't like what you're learning, either stick it out or try and parlay that into something you will like.

Not everyone ends up working in their chosen field of study... I'm not...

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 3:31 PM on j-body.org
My father has a no high school diploma but is a salesman for ford and makes really good money. I'm going to school and wanting to get a masters in political science maybe even my Ph.D in it so i can teach at a university. But for now i have to make up my mind if i wanna get my masters or go off to law school and become a civil rights attorney.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search