war forum and christ followers (for the rest of us - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
war forum and christ followers (for the rest of us
Friday, May 20, 2005 2:58 AM on j-body.org
It is funny that that topic is posted because religion and war seems to go hand an hand. Isn't it interesting that the religions always feel they need to band together and convince eveyone else that their way is right. So here is where the rest of you can group together to argue against them. lol

My Car: 1998 Mazda Roadster (Miata): Tein flex Coilovers, Potenza GIII 195/50/15

http://www.highperformancejdm.com

Re: war forum and christ followers (for the rest of us
Friday, May 20, 2005 6:55 AM on j-body.org
Without Religuous fanaticals in every religion we would probably have(had) a lot less war(s).

Re: war forum and christ followers (for the rest o
Friday, May 20, 2005 7:25 AM on j-body.org
Secular regimes are pretty horrid in their own rite.

Its not just religion... religion is an excuse people use because we're on the whole a brutal, purposeless and arrogant group of self-loathers who can't calm down for a few years and live without fear without having some other group of brutal purposeless and arrogant group of self-loathers who can't calm down for a few years and live without fear coming a little too close for comfort and getting in the way of our sprawl.

We're f**king doomed.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, May 20, 2005 4:35 PM on j-body.org
Thanks again GAM.

I'd argue that if everyone (more like anyone) actually followed the rules of the major religions there'd be no wars. Killing each other is not supported.

PAX
Friday, May 20, 2005 7:51 PM on j-body.org
After working in a forensic lab, very little startles me...

And, I have very little hope for the Species.

Everyone uses any little excuse, and to be honest, our own selfishness and futility makes me want to projectile vomit. Running a beating victim's copy of the Torah because it had the choad's saliva and fingerprints... it's a sad thing, and everyone thinks they're right.

Maybe, just maybe if all the self-riteous ass-holes out there would quit listening to their imbecile and hateful preachers and read the words for themselves, would things get better on the religious front, and then, well, secularists would probably have to face down the fact that they're just chickens like everyone else in here.

Saturday, May 21, 2005 1:12 AM on j-body.org
Very little hope.....Yup I understand that. I am not sure if humanity is gonna make it much further, but atleast I think it is easier if you believe in some kind of god cause then they can have a false hope.

My Car: 1998 Mazda Roadster (Miata): Tein flex Coilovers, Potenza GIII 195/50/15

http://www.highperformancejdm.com
Saturday, May 21, 2005 1:20 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:Thanks again GAM.
I'd argue that if everyone (more like anyone) actually followed the rules of the major religions there'd be no wars. Killing each other is not supported.
PAX

unfortunately, those in control of the religion never will because of the motivation of the prospect of power.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Saturday, May 21, 2005 2:38 PM on j-body.org
KOTL: That's why I said ignore the clerics and priests, and figure it out for yourself.

Sunday, May 22, 2005 3:23 AM on j-body.org
heres my take on the whole thing and this will be long and drawn out so bear with my poor grammer and spelling errors .

1. all of humanity simply cannot contemplate its own creation, therefore we cannot except that we are here just to be here, there must be a purpose for us all to be here, some greater plan for each of us, some mystical thing we cant see but must feel to go on.

2. religion is a form of control, most major laws came from religious insperation, thou shalt not kill, murder is a crime.

3. at our simplest form we are animals, the same as any other creature on the planet, we beleive we are better because we can create and design and plot and plan, alot of animals have these abilities, some monkeys in the rain forest use sticks and rocks as crude tools, much the same as science believes cavemen did thousands of years ago, i had a dog who if you corrected when he didnt feel he should of been, or left alone, or in some way shape or form crossed, he would either destroy one of the items you liked alot, such as cassette tapes, pictures, magazines anything he could get ahold of, or he would pee and crap all over the house while you were gone, so this proves that animals can reason and have some sense of logic to them. How then can we claim we are so much better, every animal fights for supremecy man is no different we all want to be top dog its a natural part of our makeup of course in any group there are those content to follow they make up the pack and theres nothing wrong with that, just see it in that light for what it is.

4. human history is filled with religious accusations of wrong doing by one culture to another, the germans beleived they were decended from ancient arion(spelling?) blood making them superior to the rest of the world because as anyone knows arions were the race of the people on atlantis, hitler beleived this so much that he set up several large groups to investigate his wild claims and to further push his propganda, and you know what the churchs official stand on it was? not our problem...they ignored the whole thing, kind of hypocritical isnt it? how bout them judgeing all of us as sinners because we arent in church every weekend giving our hard earned money to a corupt group of bible toting hypocrits? doesnt the bible say several times judge ye not your fellow man for only god can judge them or something to that effect?

5. there are more errors and incositencies in the bible than in the michal jackson trial, fully functional people honestly beleive that this book is the word of god, that he somehow told men to write these pages, but how can an all knowing being leave such a bumbled up mess of instructions? read the whole bible and count how many times it actually tells you to do an act of violence against your neighbors, such as when it states that any unruley child should be stoned, any man with long hair should be cast off and made to feel shameful.

Isn't it time that humanity as a whole realizes its time to abolish god from being connected to any state function or logic? they have a hard enough time figureing things out without god messing with their minds, as it sits now we ended up with dubya in charge again( great going to the thousands of idiots and rejects that had to vote for that puss to have a second term and screw things up even worse) i fully beleive that until we can transcend these roles of man, women, child, mother, doctor, rich, poor and see us all as the same species, the same chemical makeup be it white,black,brown or any combo inbetween, we all eat sleep and breathe, cant that be enough?

Religion has evolved the same as mankind has, back when we first learned to navigate the earth we found out that many other people worshipped multiple gods, it was the standard, the romans, the greeks, the norse, the egyptions, all of them worshipped multiple gods along with hundreds of other little religious devisions, keep in mind that all of these developed unassisted by any crossing of the tribes, no one traveled that far back then, anything past eyesite was to far for the most part, then the romans seeing that their way of life was quickly coming apart decided they needed a change, they realized that they were cruicifying alot of guys who claimed to be the son of god(yes there were literally hundreds of guys running around the deserts claiming to be the messiah, dont beleive me look it up) they realized they had a unique oppurtunity to create a society of control, a rigid control that could be enforced thru fear, the ultimate controlling agent this led to catholicism, hence roman catholic, from there they spread this plague on the world slowly stomping out religion after religion until only one was left, even now jehovas witnesses still try to spread the word of god to as many who will listen as possible, if you follow the expansion of christianity across the world you will see the slow and steady dieing of advances, in these early days there was no hell in this book, it wasnt a demonic goat it was just a story of an angel who challenged god and fell before his might, a story to show that challenging his word was useless because you would fall in the end. in the 15th century a preist who had in previous years been a very immoral person, aggravated that he couldnt receive the holy spirit locked himself in his room for 2 weeks, he claimed to have seen visions of hell and wrote a new chapter about how life in sin will lead to purgatory for eternity, so ashamed of what he had done in previous days that he condemed everything he had done himself, drinking, sex, same sex relationships, all of it was stomped into the mud as hard as possible, and this new image of hell was created, the ruler a demonic image of fear and loathing a creature that fed on the immoral acts of these people and would consume their soul for eternity for any wrong doing they ever did. keep in mind this was created by a disgruntled preist, its open knowledge easily researched by anyone who wants to challenge that. now in later years the idea of the devil being a goat/human variation took some life, i forget the artists name but he created the first image of the goat/human devil and his throne until then the devil was a demonic mutliheaded creature. this was a time when the world was very strict on itself, this is around the time that circumsicion caught on heavily, if you can find copies of the old texts from doctors books the actual reason for this surgery was to create an uncomfortable pulling and stretching feeling whenever a man was to get aroused, in effect preventing self pleasure, or much pleasure of any kindthe thought was to prevent these acts, thousands of products were patented in this time span to stop or prevent arousal of any kind from men. the world was so oppressed that we couldnt even comprehend a basic human function, trying to opress it even harder. human history is full of these kinds of things, wars over religion are as hard fought as wars over what is felt is owed, its so sad that we cant even open our eyes and see the destruction and devastation that we are asking for, and giving so freely this country has unleashed masses and masses of devastation the likes of which none of us could ever understand we are the loved grand child of a rich relative who has passed on and left his fortune to us, we give these man children power beyond our wildest dreams then sign up in rows to serve under them, yes i'll go off to war and fight for something i dont believe in, just because someones voice is louder does not make this voice more correct than your own. we as a whole have yet to grow up and see this world for what it is, i lump myself in this category freely because i understand that there is much to learn and much to see but i feel on a maturity level on an insight level i am a few notches up from the average street walking adult, be it arrogant or ignorant its my point of veiw and i'll fight till the death to say it and i commend anyone who is willing to do the same i fully support our U.S Troops home or abroad the work they do is above and beyond what anyone should ever be asked to do and they do it daily and walk with pride, my hats off to any enlisted man. i dont however support our current president, or his choices/ people he brought in with him they havent made many smart choices and this crap about the us being the moral majority is insane, we cant even deal with the simple issues we have in this country, any loving couple should be allowed to marry, god would want it that way, better to be happy than to be right in the eyes of those around you, weed should be legal, god put it here leave it at that natural selection should be enforced brutally if need be, but with rules, any baby that is born and can sustain its own life is obviously qualified, if a child is born and has a mental handicap but is physically capable of living then i guess thats ok to, if a child is born completely cripple, or with serious complications and will require extra ordinary means to survive for an extended period of time why force them to suffer? abortions should be legal but should be limited to certian situations, such as rape victims, incest victims, and younger girls who accidentally end up preggo from jerk of a boyfriend or another such accidental situation but should be limited to time available for this procedure there are some very sick varitions of this procedure out there. health care should be made available to anyone who needs it and taxes should be reduced, if we as americans can survive on minum wage then why cant the goverment do the same? these huge budgets for stupid crap like toilets are insane, if i cant pay my debt at the end of the year they will take my stuff away, yet the goverment has rode a debt for over a hundred years sounds like bad management to me, second i dont think churches should be tax free once they can claim more than a 20% profit that isnt shown as going to local charities, or the community as a whole, i'm tired of seeing preachers drive caddys while their worshippers have to walk 5 blocks to get there and listen.

J~ these are my opinions and go alittle further than the context given here but if i'm gonna rant i might as well spit it all out.
Sunday, May 22, 2005 10:55 AM on j-body.org
Dude... Enter key and further punctuation is your friend. I'm not trying to put you down or anything, but the fastest way to get people to ignore what you're trying to say is present them with a huge block of text. People need whitespace

Sunday, May 22, 2005 12:50 PM on j-body.org
Cross posting the same undilinated message in 3 or so different threads is not cool either.

PAX

Sunday, May 22, 2005 3:18 PM on j-body.org
j~'s message makes me believe that a grammar button alongside the spellcheck button.

hell i would use it.

i just can't read that.

Monday, May 23, 2005 7:53 AM on j-body.org
The Resurrection: Searching for Answers
Elizabeth Vargas Explores the Mystery at the Heart of Christianity
May. 20, 2005 -

Sometime around A.D. 33, Roman authorities in the city of Jerusalem sentenced to death a young Jewish rabbi named Jesus of Nazareth. He was ordered crucified for treason.

Crucifixion was a common method of execution. "It was the Roman way of letting it be known that they were the boss," said New Testament scholar the Rev. Jerome Murphy-O'Connor.

And it's a particularly brutal sentence. "It's a death that involves, first, a scourging, a beating," said Lee Strobel, host of PAX television's "Faith Under Fire."

The condemned had to make their way through the crowded streets of the city, dragging a heavy wooden cross.

"Many people died before they even got to the cross," Strobel said.

Today, conventional wisdom suggests that everyone in the streets stopped to watch Jesus' struggle and crucifixion. But because crucifixions were fairly common, scholars say Jesus' crucifixion probably went largely unnoticed by the people of Jerusalem. "The attitude would be what we do in an accident on the highway, 'Isn't this awful?' But we're losing time,' " said Albert Baumgarten of Jerusalem's Bar Ilan University.

"You have to remember that the original Jesus movement was a very, very small group. They all get together in one room for dinner. So that will give you some notion of just how small they are," Baumgarten said.

Most of Jesus' closest friends -- his disciples -- had run away. "Jesus was now marked out as a criminal, and therefore anyone who was associated with him, especially those who were in his inner circle, so to speak, would expect that they might be next," said the Rev. Richard McBrien of the University of Notre Dame.

According to the Gospel stories, only one of Jesus' male disciples, John, was at the crucifixion site along with a few women, including Jesus' mother.

"Peter wasn't there and the other heavyweight Apostles were not there. They weren't even there at the foot of the cross. It was all over for them," said McBrien.

William Lane Craig, research professor at the Talbot School of Theology in LaMiranda, Calif., said Jesus' death sentence was a more devastating blow to the Apostles than many today might imagine. "I think it's difficult to underestimate the catastrophe that the crucifixion was for these first disciples. They had hoped Jesus of Nazareth would be the messiah who would bring the Kingdom of God to Israel. And instead he was crucified and now dead," he said.

The frightened disciples did not even show up to bury Jesus. The Gospels say that after he died, John and two mysterious sympathizers named Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus helped the women take Jesus' body off the cross.

Many of those crucified under Roman rule were denied burials. "They simply left the body of the person who'd been crucified out, and the dogs and the birds finished off whatever was left of the person who had been crucified," Baumgarten said. "In the case of Jesus, they were able to get permission to bury him."

In the place where he was crucified, there was a garden, according to the Gospels. "His body is wrapped in linens. And he was laid inside the tomb and a rock was rolled in front of that tomb," said Strobel.

An Empty Tomb
Three days after Jesus was crucified, according to the Gospels, the women went to the tomb where they had buried him to take care of the body -- to wash it and put spices in the burial shroud.

But the women arrived to see that the huge stone had been rolled away from the entrance, and the tomb was empty. "The burial cloth was simply lying there on the place where they had laid the body," McBrien said.

The immediate reaction was panic and concern that someone had taken Jesus' body. But what happened next stunned the women, according to the Gospels. "They see an angelic apparition in the tomb who informs them that Jesus of Nazareth has risen from the dead, and they are absolutely unraveled by this. Filled with trembling and fear, they flee from the tomb," Craig said.

"And then the word begins to spread," said Strobel. "The women have discovered the tomb empty. That's impossible. How could it be? He's resurrected? That's absurd!"

A Pivotal Moment in History
The story of Easter Sunday has been retold for two millenniums. "It is the pivotal event of all history. History is broken into two parts -- a faith has gone around the planet. Billions of people are followers of Jesus, down through history, as a result of this story from the first century," Strobel said.

For centuries Christians have believed that Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulchre was the place where Jesus was buried and rose from the dead.

But nearly every single detail of the Easter story remains a question of debate. Among them : Was the tomb really empty? And even more basic: Was Jesus was ever buried in the first place?

"Most people who were crucified were probably put into large burial pits," said Kathleen Corley of the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.

This has led a number of scholars to question the whole account of Jesus' burial -- as perhaps made up by the Gospel writers later on.

"I think they were unsuccessful in finding the location of his body, because I think Jesus was probably buried in a criminal's grave that would have been a large pit for a large number of people," Corley said.

But Jewish scholars also familiar with first-century history say it's very feasible that the Romans permitted Jesus' followers to bury him. "I'm not sure that we can settle any of these questions with the sort of certainty we would like. I don't see any reason to doubt the Gospel tradition," said Baumgarten.

Daniel Schwartz, a professor of history at Jerusalem's Hebrew University, said it rings true to him that Jesus could have been removed from the cross and buried by his followers. "I think that there's plenty of precedent, plenty of evidence for people who were crucified and buried," he said. It would be easy enough to prove Jesus had a tomb, if anyone could say for sure where it was. But the early Christians didn't seem to have marked the spot. Two shrines in Jerusalem are said to be the location -- the large, often-visited Church of the Holy Sepulchre and a site called the Garden Tomb just down the road from the church. The Garden Tomb was discovered only in the 1850s.

Ken Trestrail, a guide at the Garden Tomb, said it is believed to be the site where Joseph of Arimathea had a garden.

The only thing the Bible really tells us about the location of Jesus' tomb is that it was close to the place of the crucifixion, Golgotha. But it gives no information about where Golgotha, which means "place of a skull," actually was.

Most today think of the crucifixion as taking place up on a rocky hill, but Trestrail told "20/20's" Elizabeth Vargas that in Jesus' day people were actually executed in a desolate valley that was once a quarry. He showed Vargas a cliff above what is now a municipal bus station that he believes gave the place its haunting name.

In the rock you could make out shapes that could look something like a skull, eye sockets and a nose, he said. But Trestrail later admitted the cliff didn't look much like a skull any longer. According to earlier accounts, Trestrail says, it did. But the rock has since eroded.

Still, the majority of Christians believe the site of the crucifixion and the tomb is in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

The church was built in the year 325 by Constantine, the first Christian ruler of the Roman Empire. It is said that local Christians led Constantine's mother to the site when she asked to see Jesus' tomb. When Constantine's men dug below the temple, it is said they found a tomb there.

Inside the church, a simple rock tomb has been housed in an 18th-century shrine. Murphy-O'Connor thinks Jesus' body was laid somewhere along an eerie tunnel lined with narrow shafts for the dead.

Why Was the Tomb Empty?
Scholars say there's little dispute about whether the tomb was empty. Even those who doubted the Resurrection, Baumgarten says, never doubted that the tomb was empty.

The only point of dispute is: Why was it empty?

"Christians said the tomb was empty because Jesus had been resurrected and Jews said that the tomb was empty because the disciples stole the body, and they did that as kind of a plot to fool people," said Baumgarten.

Strobel said the disciples had no motive to take the body. "The disciples weren't about to steal the body and then willingly die for a lie. The Romans weren't about to steal it. They wanted Jesus dead. So I think that idea is easily dismantled," he said.

Indeed, if the body had been stolen, there may have been some account of its removal through the centuries. But there are no stories of individuals or groups claiming to have removed the body.

"If the body had been discovered, there would be no Christian church today. It would have died out as a little sect in the Judean wilderness probably and everybody would have laughed about a crucified criminal being the son of God, come on," said Paul Meier of Western Michigan University.

"It's discovered that the body is not there. And that's the point of major importance. That's where it all begins," said Schwartz.

But even if there is pretty good historical reason to believe there was an empty tomb, does this mean that Jesus was resurrected from the dead?

The Bible says that starting on Easter Sunday -- and for a brief period afterward -- the resurrected Jesus of Nazareth actually appeared to his followers.

In one story, he appears to Mary Magdalene in the garden right beside his tomb, just after she has discovered his grave is empty.

"Distraught her beloved master's body is gone and she then sees him and thinks it's the gardener and Jesus just turns to her and says, 'Mary.' And she recognizes his voice and falls at his feet in worship. I think this is one of the tenderest moments in the Resurrection appearance stories," said Craig.

And there are stories about Jesus appearing to his original followers in various places over the next 40 days. In one, he appears to two other followers as they are walking home from Jerusalem to a place called Emmaus -- today a Palestinian village called Qu'beibeh.

A stranger just appears beside them and asks why they are so depressed. The three continue walking and talking for some time talking together. But it isn't until they stop to eat, to break bread, that the disciples realize the man they've been walking with is Jesus. There is a church in Qu'beibeh commemorating the story.

Something Happened
Did anything like this really happen? Historians can't agree on what -- but most agree that something happened. Something powerful enough to convince the people who knew Jesus in life, that he was back from the dead.

"I think definitely something happened. I don't know how they convinced themselves. But the historical fact is, you've got people who are convinced he was resurrected," said Schwartz.

Historians point out that we know of half a dozen leaders who claimed to be the messiah around Jerusalem in the first century. But their movements all died when the Romans crucified them.

"There were lots of executions. There were lots of people who claimed in one way or other to be redeemers of the world," said Baumgarten.

"The people who crucified Jesus and wanted him removed were almost certainly working on the assumption, which is, if you have a movement like this, and you get rid of the leader, eventually the movement collapses," he said. But what makes the Jesus story so interesting, Baumgarten said, is that this movement did not collapse.

Instead, the disciples who had abandoned Jesus changed -- dramatically. The men who had fled after his crucifixion were now in the streets proclaiming Jesus as the messiah.

"I think there can be no doubt that the earliest disciples sincerely believed that God had raised Jesus of Nazareth from the dead," Craig said.

"I don't think there would have been a New Testament or a Jesus movement had there not been some astonishing experience of power," said Bishop John Shelby Spong, retired Episcopal bishop of Newark, N.J.

Was It Physical?
The Bible gives no description of the Resurrection. There is no information about what exactly happened in that tomb. And faith is an important component in the equation when considering the Resurrection was a physical event or a vision by Jesus' followers.

"The first question is, do you believe in the Resurrection? My answer is, if you don't ... you're not a Christian. But that's the easy question. The second question is well, what do you mean by the Resurrection? That's where the difference of opinions come in," said McBrien.

Today, the notion of a physical Resurrection seems otherworldly. But the concept of Resurrection was familiar to early Jews. The Old Testament Book of Daniel talks of physical Resurrection.

And for Christians today who believe in the physical Resurrection of Jesus, the hope of a physical triumph over death remains the central point of Christianity.

"If the world view is this is only a material world, and there can be no outside intervention, then, you got a problem explaining the Resurrection," said Strobel. "But ... if God exists and created the universe, this is child's play for him."

Was It Spiritual?
But some historians think there was no physical resurrection. They believe the resurrection stories were made up and written decades after Jesus' death.

They say after the crucifixion, the disciples -- dispirited and defeated -- simply went home to their lives as fishermen on the Sea of Galilee. Instead of a physical return of Jesus, they say, the stories in the Gospels are describing dreams or visions that Jesus' closest followers had.

"The kind of resurrection body that the Gospels talk about -- the Gospel of John, for example, where Jesus appears in a room with locked doors is not physical in our understanding of the body. Those kinds of experiences suggest not the kind of physical body that we would see today. But something that we -- if we have to use our categories would look much more like a visionary experience," said Karen King of the Harvard Divinity School.

Scholars also say that dreams to people in the first century were no less real than waking reality. "In the ancient world, dreams were real. If you had a dream at night, the assumption was that it was real," said Arthur Dewey of Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The University of Wisconsin's Corley thinks the disciples visions of Jesus grew from their extraordinary grief. "I talked about grief experiences. It's been documented in modern times that people in times of extreme mourning and bereavement will see -- actually see -- honestly believe they see the dead person before them," she said.

Baumgarten agrees. "People whose hopes have been dashed in that awful way very often come up with various items of belief," he said.

While these scholars don't believe there was a physical resurrection, they agree that something extraordinary occurred.

Shelby Spong, like many other Christians, believes the Resurrection was a spiritual event. "I think it's real. I think it took place in Galilee. I think Peter stood in the center of it. I think it has something to do with the breaking of bread. He was made known to us in the breaking of the bread. I don't know exactly what that is. But it is clear to me that there was something that opened their eyes to see a dimension of reality that I believe is beyond the boundaries of normal," he said.

Copyright © 2005 ABC News Internet Ventures

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/print?id=772399

good read

Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:54 PM on j-body.org
J~ wrote:how bout them judgeing all of us as sinners because we arent in church every weekend giving our hard earned money to a corupt group of bible toting hypocrits?

umm.. I didn't read the whole thing but this caught my eye...

You are not considered a sinner if you don't go to church. You go to church to learn about the teachings of Christ and praise him, and NOWHERE does the bible say you are SUPPOSED to go to Church every single day/week/month.

And no, don't tell me it says you have to go to church on Sunday's either, there's a difference between sabbath and going to church.

Friday, June 03, 2005 1:51 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Secular regimes are pretty horrid in their own rite.

Its not just religion... religion is an excuse people use because we're on the whole a brutal, purposeless and arrogant group of self-loathers who can't calm down for a few years and live without fear without having some other group of brutal purposeless and arrogant group of self-loathers who can't calm down for a few years and live without fear coming a little too close for comfort and getting in the way of our sprawl.

We're f**king doomed.

LMFAO

best description EVAR of why humans are IDIOTS. cant get out of their own way.

awesome game awesome made me laugh out loud at the human race. well put

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Friday, June 03, 2005 6:51 AM on j-body.org
Work in a crime lab... you'll discover I'm not the only person with a dim view of our race.

Friday, June 03, 2005 9:41 AM on j-body.org
I don't work in a crime lab and i have a dim view of humanity.

you don't need to--you just have to not be deluded by optimism to see that we're @!#$. Proper @!#$.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Friday, June 03, 2005 9:44 AM on j-body.org
you can be a optimist and be EVEN MORE in touch with the reality of humanities doom and disgusting nature

dont try to confuse optimism and ignorance.

its just an optimist doesnt allow the impending doom to consume their thoughts hopes and daily life.

Friday, June 03, 2005 10:31 AM on j-body.org
I don't have much of a good view when I get half the forms into the lab..

But then again, I leave work at work most of the time. I've had a dim view of humanity ever since I found out about WWII .

Friday, June 03, 2005 12:02 PM on j-body.org
Not quite. Optimism is thinking that things will turn out for the better, everything will be alright, and that there is such a thing as "happily ever after". The glass is half full--that type of thinking.

I prefer cynicism myself. knowing that the world is going the hekll in a handbasket and enjoying every minute of it.

Besdies, the world would suck if it was Candyland like some people on this board want it to be.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Friday, June 03, 2005 2:53 PM on j-body.org
lol...

I heard Ann Coulter say once "The world would be a better place if everyone was American."

I was utterly shocked, and after I thought about it, I figured it would be entertaining in a obscenely lame way....

Mind you, I've been to other places in the world and have heard the phrase "when in Rome, do as Romans do," and actually did it.

Friday, June 03, 2005 3:41 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]Not quite. Optimism is thinking that things will turn out for the better, everything will be alright, and that there is such a thing as "happily ever after". The glass is half full--that type of thinking.

not really

optimism is not THINKING everythign WILL be ok. it is HOPING everything will be OK and not dwellign on the fact that it might not be. they know thigns may not turn out good but they prefer to hope and pray it will.

optimist:
a person disposed to take a favorable view of things
expecting the best in this best of all possible worlds

Quote:

I prefer cynicism myself. knowing that the world is going the hekll in a handbasket and enjoying every minute of it.

thats not really full cynicism either.

so your KIND OF a cynic. not whole heartedly tho

cynic
believing the worst of human nature and motives
A person who believes all people are motivated by selfishness.
A person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative.

a typical cynic would not be happy abotu anything. he knows/expects worse in every situation but he is not happy about it

so id call you a euphoric cynic

Quote:

Besdies, the world would suck if it was Candyland like some people on this board want it to be.

as logn as humans exsist the way they currently do there can never ever be such thing as candy land. we are too stupid and hypocritical self centered to even understand what that would all encompass

Friday, June 03, 2005 4:34 PM on j-body.org
ephoric cynic is a good way to put it--i am a cynic by definition, but i find glee in knowing we're @!#$. Besides, look up Daria Morgendorffer or Zelgadis Graywords and that's me.

the the sad thing is, may people have that utopian vision of "candyland" where it's the brady bunch all the time, and think everyone should be like that--both dems and reps. it sucks if you think about it.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Friday, June 03, 2005 4:39 PM on j-body.org
1 bible ........and all religions read it different.

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Friday, June 03, 2005 5:04 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]ephoric cynic is a good way to put it--i am a cynic by definition, but i find glee in knowing we're @!#$. Besides, look up Daria Morgendorffer or Zelgadis Graywords and that's me.

the the sad thing is, may people have that utopian vision of "candyland" where it's the brady bunch all the time, and think everyone should be like that--both dems and reps. it sucks if you think about it.

i agree.

but there is no problem with looking towards a utopian goal. because human nature would prove that this is absolutely and indefinitely impossible. and in actuality as u put it, would be very borring if it was like this. i mean the war forum wouldnt exsist

so while striving to perfection (utopia) which you can never get to you actuall can end up with a society that is in absolutely awesome shape. people still have differences but ubsurd conflicts needless violence and many other things are not present.

so basically it would be all the fun but without the death and guts

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search