Car Shows Politics and Fairness-heat it up - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car Shows Politics and Fairness-heat it up
Thursday, May 26, 2005 3:00 PM on j-body.org
heres something that on forums web-wide now is nothing but disgruntled losers and boistrous winners, so might as well bring it up for discussion. its not as cut throat and a bit leanient from the norms....

i understand why people do car shows, i respect the work you all do cleaning week after week, freakin out on rock chips, and the tidyness....honestly i do.

BUT

when you go to these shows, especially some local ones, and its being judged by a group, or club, and you have the narrow minded people in the club that label this or that "rice"

why get pissed complain, when you intentionally go to a car show thats being judged by a group of people who:

-ARE NOT fair
-ARE NOT open minded
-judge up or down based their own likes/dislikes criteria
-and basically constantly known to think everything thats not mainstream is "rice"

in parrallel, this would be like an american caucasian or ad american, entering an arabic only beauty or fitness pageant, and being pissed when the judges down grade em on the fact that that they dont like like what the judges wanna see.

so why even enter?

from another forum and edited since you cant cuss here:

Quote:

judged a car-show yesterday, and people are b----ing like there's no tomorrow.

I did the best that I could, and was completely impartial.

WTF do people want outta' that s--t? Next time, take your damn $25 entrance fee, go buy yourself your own personally made *I'm a number 1 a--hole* trophy, and spend the other $15 on 3 s---ty t-shirts, instead of one s---ty X-large t-shirt you get at a car-show.

Damn it f---ers.

and the fad here is no different. people pay, enter these shows being judged on loose criteria, then dont win, get mad and complain.... i know its been at the bash for years as well. but even on a local level. and being its spring, its now more abundant.

and with the way most shows locally are going, if like 50 people enter, there are 45 trophies available.... i can understand it may be frustrating, but really. when judges to the show are usually dead set on calling this and that rice, making immature cracks on someones car, granted they drive the same as you, but you may drive the base model....

if someone is that egotistical, and is one of the judges, REALLY.... you have about as fair a chance of not recieving some sort of bias, as i do of winning the bronze in the next olympics womens gymnastics.... neither will happen.

so why enter if you know you are setting yourself up for bias, and then complaining at the end?

Re: Car Shows Politics and Fairness-heat it up
Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:51 PM on j-body.org
I'm entering a carshow on the 18th I think it is. They only have 1 class for 1980 and up cars, so I know already that the judges are going to be biased towards hotrods and old cars. Frankly I don't care if I win anything, I'm entering just because I think it would be fun to pull into the show, pop the hood, and have people gawk at a turbo 2.4L cavalier that they all think is a @!#$box.

Really it boils down to somebody putting thier heart and soul into a car, and losing to somebody who has different views on what looks good. Most people mod thier cars to impress somebody or some group. There are the few like me who mod thier cars because its a good hobby, and I'd rather be doing that then out causing trouble I won't enter shows to win, just to have fun and bull@!#$ with other car enthusiasts, maybe opening some of the old guys eyes to the new hotrods

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:04 PM on j-body.org
If I ever enter a car show it won't be to win any prizes. If I win that will be great, but I'd rather show off my hard work to people then to win a prize that really doesn't prove accomplished anything

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:30 PM on j-body.org
I had a legitimate complaint about car show judging... Ken96Z placed 6th in the wild class, placing behind a primered Madza with nothing except a body kit (very poorly done, door jams still blue, primered right over the door moldings, primer overspray here and there) I got 3rd place in the same show same class... the winner of the class was a near stock civic with body damage and black spray painted gorund effects (on a red car and one side skirt was physically deformed/@!#$ up) Somethign was not right that a near stock damaged car would take 1st over everythign there.. in the same show me and ken were both placed in Mild catagory Cheesecake (black 04 lowered with heated springs, window tint, CF hood) was placed in the WILD catagory.... I did not / am not complaining about not winning the car show... but its insulting to lose to a car that wasn't in the physical condition to be entered into a car show to begin with bothered me, if I lose to a better car then thats infe I will not complain.

FIrst car show of the year I went to the only anoced the winner so I don't knwo what place I got but in my class "modified domestic" I lost to a $100,000+ custom 32 ford hot rod/show car.... a cavi should not be put against that but no complaints because I am infact a modified domestic... althoguh if I could go back I wouldn't do it again.... it was cold out hahahah

I have fun at the show itself looking at cars, talking about cars, showing off my car, chilling outside in a lwan chair in the sun, if I take home a trouphy great if not who cares I had fun, winning isn't everything

Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:00 PM on j-body.org
i expect the judges to be ignorant and partial at any local event. however i expect the judges to be knowledgeable and impartial at a large event (like the bash).

but i dont like car shows. its nice to show off, but i think that the majority of them arent done well enough to suit my tastes so ive stayed away from them.

Friday, May 27, 2005 8:39 AM on j-body.org
It's called "judging" for a reason.

If you don't like someone giving their opinion on your vehicle, why bother entering?

IF they bitch, I'd say get used to it, it's not impartial, it's rarely fair because people instinctively play favourites. You submit your vehicle for someone to evaluate purely on a qualititative basis (even though there are usually criteria, but even then it's a bit dicey), and those evaulations are weighted differently from show to show, and what do you expect?

Would it make anyone feel better if a robot did the evaluations?

Get over it. It's biased, it's imperfect, it's life, and it's what's out there.

If you don't like it, don't enter.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, May 27, 2005 9:19 AM on j-body.org
Winning is EVERYTHING!!

NOT. its cool like "SHIFTED" said to suprise people who look at the cavy/fire as a 4 banger. Until they see a nicely modified cavy that has balls. And to see there eyes wide open and say " Wow I didnt know they had stuff for a cavy!"

Warning: Your sig is in violation of rules 4, 5 and 6. Change it before you post again.
Friday, May 27, 2005 12:58 PM on j-body.org
I mod my cav for myself, and I have only entered it in one show. That was more than enough for me to learn that it was very bias. The winner was a gutted civic, with only a chromed b16 swap, intake and rims. All body painted white....
I do not think I should have won, but there was much better cars there with a lot more time, blood sweat and tears in their car than this guy had total in his car.
One of them should have one.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, May 27, 2005 3:34 PM on j-body.org
I got somehtign better then a trouphy from a car show... the judges came around and I heard them tlaking while judging my car and one of them said "so whats done to it besides a hood and wheels?" I think thats the best coment/compliment my car has recieved (that and little kid saying look mom a real hotwheel). I mod my car to my liking, what I want is as cleanly modded as possible but still make it apear stock to people who don't knwo the cars, I want to stand out without sticking out and hearing the judge say that made my day, at the same time though they weren't real impressed cause they don't realize how much has actually gone into it. WInning is nice but having fun enjoying yourself is what really matters

Saturday, May 28, 2005 6:26 AM on j-body.org
my question is, why do people get all butthurt if you show an opinion of a show, and say that's the reason you're avoiding it? they act like it's THERE show, and go of because someone else doesn't like it.

GOD FORBID that some folks don't like a show for whatever reason.

it's those sorts of people that make me AVOID the little shows locally, and even some of the bigger ones, simply because i hate hearing about that crap. if i don't go to a specific show because of bad experiences in previous years, isn't that my choice? why is it that MY opinion is so stupid, yet theirs lauding the show up and down(when the show i'm thinking of is generally very poorly organized, and draws a LOT of idiots who take the opportunity to street race while leaving...DUMB!).

blah. idiots run rampant around the North East, and some of them have big "mouths"
Saturday, May 28, 2005 11:50 AM on j-body.org
Correction: Idiots run rampant EVERYWHERE.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Saturday, May 28, 2005 12:04 PM on j-body.org
that's why i dn't do ęsthetics. it's all subjective and 88% of the population has no taste (after all, they watch reality shows).

Racing, it's more clean cut and defined.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Sunday, May 29, 2005 2:33 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Correction: Idiots run rampant EVERYWHERE.

trust me, i know - i work in Customer Service. it just seems like we have a ton of sandy vaginas in the NE.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search