Evolution....done or still going????? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Evolution....done or still going?????
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 1:12 PM on j-body.org
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't evolution result in an environmental factor that a creature needs to adjust to.

But, since humans adjust all our environmental factors to suit us, do you think we have reached the end of our evolutionary line?

This was actually a thread that was started in another forum that I dabble in often, and I thought it might make for good debate on here as well. I personality don't know enough about evolution to state a position, so this is merely informational for me...In any case, agree and disagree away....

On a side note, if anyone would like to check out the other site: LPUnderground

Re: Evolution....done or still going?????
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 1:25 PM on j-body.org
i doubt its done.... as it stands the east coast is unusually colder than it is on avg this time in may, nature including trees, animals, etc are adpating. not just humans. we can throw on a coat, but lets say this keeps up over the years, we might need more than a coat.

since evolution is a constant adaptation, it prob wont stop till its over.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 2:02 PM on j-body.org
Although the following thread doesn't deal with the exact same debate, it might be a good place to start.

Hell, it might even deal with your question, I haven't read the whole thing myself.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=36&i=23118&t=3419#23118

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 3:09 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't evolution result in an environmental factor that a creature needs to adjust to

Nope, evolution result FROM an environmental factor that a creature needs to adjust to... but that specifically is natural selection...
Quote:

But, since humans adjust all our environmental factors to suit us, do you think we have reached the end of our evolutionary line

Evolution is a tree, not a striaght line... people have the concept that we evolved i na straight line from apes like that cartoon we see all the time with spes going to upright humans... each branch reaches its limit of development or branches off... the branches often are superior to the more primitive form and it goes extinct, leaving a dead end branch while the new branch continues to evolve... and yes, we are still evolving but no one on Earth can predict where we are going.

Yeah this thread has been brought up but it is like 45 pages long... I can remember a "Jive" in that thread... are u the same person?

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 3:10 PM on j-body.org
Evolution by its very nature is not going to stop.

Humans will acquiesce into oblivion at some point, just as we overtook Australopithecine/Afirencis.

Maybe the earth's crust will fracture far too many times to cool properly, maybe our poles will switch again.. maybe the impending ice age will intervene. We don't know.

Also, maybe a stronger human will prevail for whatever reason, or maybe we'll die out and never have further progeny. That evolution thing is, at best, a shot in the dark.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 3:33 PM on j-body.org
We are...

In the past 100 years, we tend to be taller, have a larger shoe size, a larger breast size, and obesity is running rampant.

While some say this is from hormones injected by us into our food supply, everything we get as a benefit, there's always a catch-22 on it that will bit us in the arse.

As such, we are slowly adapting to what we're doign to change the environment. my growing larger, expectig that food will always be relatively plentiful, no need to excercize, and whatnot, we're pidgeonholing ourselfs into a cush existance...

Once that changes, and if global history is any indication, it will, we'll face mass-extinction. Either a few lines will split into separate species (Morlocks and the Eloi anyone ) or the whole line will go bust like the trilobites.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 3:53 PM on j-body.org
Our extinction is not a question of 'if', but rather a question of 'when'.

Regarding Homo-sapien Evolution... on the Micro level, yes, we are still evolving. On the Macro level, no, we are pretty much done.

Toronto Street Racing | J-Body club of Ontario | J-Body Tech Library
Equality is a Prescription, Not a Description. Learn the Difference, Newbs.
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 4:13 PM on j-body.org
true--even if bloodlines survive, what they will become into won't be human. After all, the descendants of the subclass archosauria are still around, but in no form that is the same as it was back then.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:10 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Yeah this thread has been brought up but it is like 45 pages long... I can remember a "Jive" in that thread... are u the same person?

Yea, as far as I know I'm the only "jive" on here. I do remember a thread about evolution, I'm not sure if I remember this particular topic brought up (doesn't mean it wasn't). Sorry if this has already been discuss though, again, if it was, I don't remember...

Quote:

In the past 100 years, we tend to be taller, have a larger shoe size, a larger breast size, and obesity is running rampant.

Do you think that this could have something to do with genes as well. Meaning, as people started to eat more, and as more work was done by actual physical labor in the early 1900's. Do you think that those people passed on their appetite/physical stature? Or am I totally off somewhere in left field...lol?

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:19 PM on j-body.org
it's most likely a combination of a little of both, really. plus, with the abundance of food, people with higher metabolic rates can survive easier because the caloric intake they require is easier to come by. Plus, survival traits that aren't needed will be phased out eventually. See also: the dodo bird.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:19 PM on j-body.org
The general health and food chain supply is responsible for the alterations than most other factors.

Jinxed: I figure that the Genus isn't done yet, but Sapiens may evolve further... There are sub-species that can inter breed, but it's been done for so long that we don't even bother to check... Cuacazoid, Mongoloid, Negroid. We're all just variants there of.

Maybe at some point we'll figure out its just us chickens in here.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:14 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Jinxed: I figure that the Genus isn't done yet, but Sapiens may evolve further... There are sub-species that can inter breed, but it's been done for so long that we don't even bother to check... Cuacazoid, Mongoloid, Negroid. We're all just variants there of.

I think our species has "mixed" so well in the past couple thousands of years that the supposed "variants" (Caucasian, Asian, African) will not be able to diverge genetically and evolve into different forms... say if our species remained ethnically isolated, I'd say that the chances of 3 or more species of human evolving was high... just think if aliens came to our planet and observed ONLY... most taxonomists would call the black and white ones different species if genetics weren't involved... classification as to species is now more genetic than phenotypic and species looking very different AND very similar can often be the same species! With the degree of mixing among races I'd say we will never diverge into separate forms after millions of years (if H. sapiens lives that long).

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:57 PM on j-body.org
Current eugenics studies have been able to isolate out Genetic markers to those 3 sapien archetypes, as well as North American/South American indian.

Frankly, I don't give humans millions of years, I figure 15-20,000 tops. Long enough that we really won't have to worry about it.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:16 AM on j-body.org
To go along with what spitfire said, with the mixing of all the races, I think evolution will be much slower. There won't be one dominate chariteristic that will really pop up. When humans first started to evolve, people in the cold areas developed charateristics such as bigger noses (as a means of ventalation or something like that) and more portly/hairy bodies. People in the tropical zones developped darker skin to protect themselves from the sun.

With the mixing of races, and people always able to move, the adaptation to a certain area will won't be possible.
But i still think humans as a whole will still evolve. Just at a much slower pace. I remember reading someplace that they expect in the next couple hundred generations that humans will lose there little toe.

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:41 AM on j-body.org
More like we'd lose 2 useless toes and have 3 larger compound ones to fill the void... I doubt it'll happen frankly, bats have 5 "fingers", dolphins and whales have 5 sets of 3 bones per flipper, most carniverous animals have feet/hands with 5 toes/fingers, and have for the last 600,000 years. Maybe it's time for a change, but I doubt it, we're more likely to have our cranial/brain structure advance before the next evolutionary step, as long as we don't start pumping thalydimide into the water.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search