Christian group wants Christians to boycott Ford - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Christian group wants Christians to boycott Ford
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 8:13 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Christian activist group goes after Ford Motor Co.
Another swing of the pocketbook
Ford Motor Co., in a magazine advertisement, offers to donate $1,000 to the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation for each Jaguar sold.
By Alex Johnson
Reporter
MSNBC
Updated: 9:14 p.m. ET May 31, 2005A week after they declared victory over Walt Disney Co., Christian activists have fired another missile in their long war against companies they think are destroying traditional American values.

The target this time is Ford Motor Co., which Christians should boycott as “the company which has done the most to affirm and promote the homosexual lifestyle,” the American Family Association says on a Web site it put up Monday, boycottford.com.

The AFA, the nonprofit group run by the Rev. Donald Wildmon, criticized Ford for donating money to gay-rights organizations — Ford promises to give up to $1,000 to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Discrimination for every Jaguar and Land Rover it sells to gays and lesbians. The group also complained that Ford sponsored gay pride celebrations, advertised in gay-oriented publications and was “redefining the definition of the family to include homosexual marriage,” Randy Sharp, the organization’s director of special projects, said Tuesday.

Officials at Ford did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

Thousands respond to call for action
The quantifiable impact of a boycott based on Christian principles is all but impossible to assess, but for the AFA, which has gone after scores of giant corporations for almost 30 years, they are an article of faith. By Tuesday afternoon, more than 54,000 people had signed the AFA’s online pledge to boycott Ford, Sharp said.

The organization usually starts with a letter-writing campaign, urging its members to contact executives, local franchisers and advertisers to express unhappiness with a company’s behavior. In what it considers intractable circumstances, the AFA will escalate to a formal boycott.

The campaigns are the AFA’s most visible activity by far. Through its main Web site and two affiliated sites, One Million Dads and One Million Moms, it can have a score of boycotts and letter-writing drives in play at one time.

The fight against Ford is just one of many it has going: As of Tuesday, it was calling for action against the Carl’s Jr. hamburger chain (to protest its racy new ad featuring Paris Hilton), Kraft Foods (for its sponsorship of the 2006 Gay Games), Mary Kay Cosmetics and Old Navy stores (for advertising on ABC’s prime-time soap opera “Desperate Housewives”) and NutriSystem Inc., the weight-loss company (for airing its own salacious TV ad).

Most recently, the AFA ended a nine-year boycott of the Walt Disney Co., which it launched because of what it felt was the company’s “attitude, arrogance and embrace of the homosexual lifestyle.”

The AFA said it was moving on because “we have made our point.” Disney said it never changed any of its policies, but Sharp pointed to an executive shuffle and the sale of Disney’s Miramax studio, which seemed to specialize in films designed to get Wildmon’s goat, notably “Kids,” “Priest” and “Dogma.”
Gay agenda,’ racy ads push hot buttons
The reasons for each boycott vary in the details, but the companies’ alleged zeal to push the “homosexual agenda” is a common theme, side by side with their sponsorships of television programs the AFA finds morally unacceptable.

There is plenty to go after, and the AFA has aimed its guns at so many companies that even it has trouble keeping track, Sparks acknowledged in an interview. There are so many letter-writing campaigns, in fact, that sometimes the AFA finds itself working against itself.

For example, the organization in mid-May blitzed Wal-Mart for approving a gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender affinity group for its employees, shortly after it lavishly praised Wal-Mart for matching donations to the Salvation Army over Christmas. In December, the AFA was praising Wal-Mart as a place where “Sam Walton’s legacy still remains in the minds and hearts of his company”; by April, it was urging Christians to consider taking their business elsewhere.

Other Christian organizations have tried similar tactics; most recently, a minister in suburban Seattle claimed credit for a decision by Microsoft Corp. to withdraw its support for a bill that would have extended Washington state’s anti-discrimination laws to gays and lesbians, a claim Microsoft rejected. (MSNBC is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC.)

But there is no other organization quite like the AFA, which in the past has taken on Crest toothpaste, Volkswagen, Tide detergent, Clorox bleach, Pampers, MTV, Abercrombie & Fitch, K-Mart, Burger King, American Airlines and S.C. Johnson & Son, makers of Windex, Ziploc, Pledge, Glade and Edge.

Man these people need to get a life.

Re: Christian group wants Christians to boycott Fo
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:11 AM on j-body.org
hmm i dont buy fords anyway.....

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:14 AM on j-body.org
Sounds like the Rev. Donald Wildmon is related to another bigot by the name of Phelps.

Maybe God will slap them around a bit sometime and reiterate that judgment is his...

Maybe they'll be sodomised when they get to hell.

Maybe they'll just continue to be ignored.

Maybe I'll go take a dump.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:14 AM on j-body.org
BTW, pack yer bags, this thread is prolly gonna get moved to OT or more likely War Forum.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:12 AM on j-body.org
what i dont get is, if God says being gay is a sin, then why does he create gay people?

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:19 AM on j-body.org
People are happy unless they have something to complain about

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:28 AM on j-body.org
themarin8r wrote:what i dont get is, if God says being gay is a sin, then why does he create gay people?

no kidding

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:29 AM on j-body.org
I can see some good and bad coming of this

good: Ford is promoting for something that is against discrimination

bad: they are only donating money for those buyers that are of a certain population

kinda makes no sense...while trying to combat discrimination they are themselves discriminating against the heterosexual population

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 12:33 PM on j-body.org
Ford doesn't care one way or another about what is moral or what's not. All they care about is selling cars. If they make more money from the gay communitity, then they lose from the christian audiuence, they will continue to promote gays. If they lose more money due to lack of the huge christian market, they will stop the promostions pretty fast.

The christian auduiece is a very large market segment that most manufactuers can't stand to lose. So they get there way. Personally i don't see anything wrong with this. It's just the way the market works.

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 1:37 PM on j-body.org
I saw this, and I can't wait to see what the next target is going to be. My guess is the stuffed animal companies because they will find a reason.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 4:59 PM on j-body.org
Disney Viacom... lol

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:06 PM on j-body.org
Yeah I think they need to get a life too... and i think they needed to get a life yesterday. I can't stand these types of people who attack anyone and anything they can because some people have different views than they do. Our country is a melting pot of many cultures and different types of people... and we're not all going to be the same and have the same values and morals. People just need to learn to leave other peopel alone. They need to learn to say "Hey, you're different than I am, you may have different views than I do... but you're still a human just like I am... and I accept you for that."

I mean... how in the world is OTHER people being gay going to affect these Christian folk? Not at all. Are the Christians going to go to he11 because someoen else is gay? No... just leave them alone!! Let them be happy... sheesh...

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:25 PM on j-body.org
For the record, not all Christians think that way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:48 PM on j-body.org
eh....ford is gay anyway
Thursday, June 02, 2005 7:21 AM on j-body.org
steveo wrote:For the record, not all Christians think that way.

werd

Thursday, June 02, 2005 7:48 AM on j-body.org
themarin8r wrote:what i dont get is, if God says being gay is a sin, then why does he create gay people?

It's a contradiction, if being homosexual is a sin (which it is) then God wouldn't created people that are. So, either there isn't a God and people are born that way, or there is a God, and people aren't born that way............

Thursday, June 02, 2005 8:01 AM on j-body.org
kinda conderdictory aren'd you not suposed to pass judgement on people for any reason so why is this yahoo rev. guy running around doing this BS nazi ass @!#$he should just worry about doing his job the right way and following the rules rather then making them up as he goes. it's funny too cause im sure within the next 5 years you'll here this guys name along with fraud charges

Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:01 AM on j-body.org
Jive wrote:

It's a contradiction, if being homosexual is a sin (which it is) then God wouldn't created people that are. So, either there isn't a God and people are born that way, or there is a God, and people aren't born that way............

then you get into the whole, "if God created us in his owm image, and thus we are an image created by a perfect being that has FLAWS in it." Does not compute.

I know most christians don't think that way--this is just the empty cans rattling the most.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaði, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:23 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]
Jive wrote:

then you get into the whole, "if God created us in his owm image, and thus we are an image created by a perfect being that has FLAWS in it." Does not compute.

I know most christians don't think that way--this is just the empty cans rattling the most.
ha...your analogies continue to entertain me there keeper.... in regards to your comment, trying to not to jack this thread, Adam and Eve are the anwser....

Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:25 PM on j-body.org
P.S. I know that most non-believers don't think this-- this is just the empty cans getting back at whoever thought that tieing them to the back of a car was a cool idea......

Thursday, June 02, 2005 7:17 PM on j-body.org
wait....disney destroys american values?

Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:31 PM on j-body.org

That's only if you believe people are born homosexual. I honestly think it's a choice and you aren't born programmed with "i'm going to like to have sex with a man" or "i'm going to like to have sex with a woman", it's whatever pleases you.

I think it is wrong to discriminate against heterosexuals, Ford is making a wrong move, and are contributing to something I don't believe is right.

God created man, man is naturally full of sin. However, if you decide you want to engage in homosexual activites on this planet during your short time here and dis-obey God time and time again without asking for forgiveness or even feeling the slightest bit of remorse, you will see the results of your actions in the afterlife.

And also, please don't tell me i'm wrong. Nobody knows if people are born gay or if they become gay, I believe they become gay, but that's my personal belief, there is no fact.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:32 PM on j-body.org
Oh and also, steveo is right, I think going after Ford and boycotting them isn't the answer. Not all Christians are corporate-bashing mind washers.

Friday, June 03, 2005 7:01 AM on j-body.org
No, some are corporate building, money hiding, tax evading, drug addicted blow hards that seem to think that the world would so much better if everyone was American (read WASP).

For the record, I know that there are a lot of religious types (not just Chrisitans, although they seem to be the root of a lot of societies woes... Misguided for better or worse) are decent people that want nothing more than just to be left the hell alone and maybe pay a bit less taxes... but there are enough self-important ass holes out there that f**k it up for the rest of the group.

Chrisitan groups like the one that is cited in the article need to start helping to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and teach the illiterate to read... it'll do a damn sight more to help the world they live in than being a common media nuisance.... we all need to know if we're at terror level Bert still.

Friday, June 03, 2005 7:19 AM on j-body.org
What a suprise another war forum thread turns into a gay is sin thread. I signed thier petition as YouPeople NeedToGetALife . It's amazing they got over 100,000 people brainwashed into boycotting Ford LOL.
Quote:

Chrisitan groups like the one that is cited in the article need to start helping to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and teach the illiterate to read... it'll do a damn sight more to help the world they live in than being a common media nuisance.... we all need to know if we're at terror level Bert still.

Couldn't have said it better myself GAM. Instead of wasting time and money on stupid @!#$ like this they could be doing good in the community.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search