Ideas on how to solve oil prices? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ideas on how to solve oil prices?
Friday, July 01, 2005 4:54 PM on j-body.org
Any ideas, aside from political slander?

My idea is this: Why can't the U.N. band together as a "union" and refuse to pay more than $20 per barrell?

I assume because the oil money is helping fund the reconstruction in the middle east. I heard that Opec had more than doubled the second place profits for any business last year. Even if Opec isn't our only source of oil, that is still rediculous. Gas has gone from $.99 in 1992 to $2.18 today. How are they justifying the daily fluctuation of price?

^CLICK ME TO SEE HOW I BUILT EVERYTHING^ How To in Interior Forum

Re: Ideas on how to solve oil prices?
Friday, July 01, 2005 5:26 PM on j-body.org
2005 - 1992 = 13 years. not really a daily fluctuation.

Friday, July 01, 2005 5:51 PM on j-body.org
where did you live i could still get gas for under $0.80 on a goooooood day in 96, but generally in the 80's/low 90's for quite some time.

Friday, July 01, 2005 5:52 PM on j-body.org
Year over year inflation fo less than 3% would seem to dictate otherwise.

The best way to solve the oil problem is to start using less.

If every car, truck and motorcycle got 5mpg better fuel economy, the reliance on foreign oil for fuel would be effectively ended. That means basically let up off the gas, go 3-4mph under the speed limit, or take the bus once a week to work.

Most people drive the piss out of their cars (I'm no angel either) and the best way to keep your fuel bill down is good habits:
- Slow down a little,
- Eliminate jack-rabbit starts
- Keep your car in good tune/tires inflated properly
- Don't use your car if you can walk/bike

When the demand for oil decreases, the cost of it will decrease as well.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, July 01, 2005 6:24 PM on j-body.org
Good ideas, but it doesn't solve the price gouging today.

In Pa, the prices change daily and have more than doubled over the last decade.

Friday, July 01, 2005 6:41 PM on j-body.org
Cocoa Beach, FL.

gas station on base here jumped 18 cents in less than two weeks.

Josh
SLK 32

Friday, July 01, 2005 6:58 PM on j-body.org
I get daily gas price jumps here of 8-10 cents PER LITRE!

How do I solve it?

I gave the info above. Even when I'm on duty, I don't let my car idle for more than a minute if I'm not in traffic.

Damn.. that was another one...

Friday, July 01, 2005 7:14 PM on j-body.org
There hasn't been a construction of a fuel-oil processing plant in like 25 years. That might be a good place to start. All the plants are maxed out.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, July 01, 2005 7:37 PM on j-body.org
There is that, but who wants to live beside one?

Seriously, my Granddad lives in Sarnia, Ont. and he's got some really nasty smells coming from the plants there.

Friday, July 01, 2005 9:30 PM on j-body.org
1. Force all manufacturers to double their Cafe requirements or face heavy fines.
2. People need to quit buying so many gas-hungry trucks and SUV's.
3. Pour more research into renewable resource vehicles.
4. Efficiency in transportation. If you're going for cruise or picking up a few groceries, you don't need to be driving an SUV that get's less than 25MPG.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, July 01, 2005 10:48 PM on j-body.org
simple require the auto makers to build cars that get better mileage and you ban trucks and suv to commercial and rural use only

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, July 02, 2005 1:29 AM on j-body.org
i got a GREAT IDEA!! stop sending 2/3 of are gas from alaska to japan..that would solve alot. yes building more plants would help to, and for the companys with the gas problem, they like the big vehicles because it spends more gas, more gas the big 3 (dodge, GM, and ford) own a big portion of the oil refineries in the US. so....another thing, build a hydrogen car, dont live off of gasoline as a product for vehicles and then when we dont rely on oil, all the middle east countries would become 3rd world countries like they should
Saturday, July 02, 2005 5:06 AM on j-body.org
^ ya..

( im going to go all out typical jar head now,)

Nuk there a$$ and take there gas.

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:03 AM on j-body.org
"Ideas on how to solve oil prices?"
Two words:
Use Gasohol.

THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT ONE.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:22 PM on j-body.org
Personaly with technology we have , why cant we find an alternate source of fuel, Chemical engineers probably could make a Chemical that we could mass produce cheaply and run our cars off it, this also would be able to clean things up like bad exhaust. I dont see why we can have Puters in every room with TV's and not have a new source of Fuel come out that would rid us of this Gas requirement.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Monday, July 04, 2005 4:31 PM on j-body.org
The one thing about oil. When it's gone, it's gone forever. How can anyone who has it think that any price is too high. The only way to solve the problem is to replace the oil with renewable resource. Period.

PAX
Monday, July 04, 2005 5:17 PM on j-body.org
we could all buy bikes or horses.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, July 04, 2005 6:00 PM on j-body.org
Hey it works for China... 1.3 Billion people can't be wrong.

Monday, July 04, 2005 7:37 PM on j-body.org
A new fuel is a good future idea, considering I read that the internal combustion engine is the equivalent of 500 years out dated, when factoring technologies progress. If I remember correctly $5 billion was granted to fund hydro powered research - at least that is a start; though it does not help the engines in our cars, or any past vehicles, which people will eventually still want to drive on occassion.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:39 AM on j-body.org
Honestly, the best way to bring down prices would to be break up OPEC. Probably threw taking out a couple of leaders and making it look like other participating countries were to blame. Once they get ticket off at each other and start competing against each other, then oil will drop like a ton of bricks.

but, finding alternitive means would be a better long term solution.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/07/04/eco.car/index.html
what was it, equivilant to like 10,000 miles to the gallon?

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:54 AM on j-body.org
yeah, but that's at 30mph.

which would be great in Los Angeles.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:56 AM on j-body.org
gam i'm surprised you didn't mention this. i know it is a little known fact but most of
those shiek guys love calzones. we should offer to trade them.

also look into a process that the germans came up with ww2. where i believe it takes one ton of garbage to make one barrel of oil. i heard the u.s. is experamenting with this and that we allready have two refineing plants that actualy do convert garbage to oil.
this to me sounds like the best idea in the world, ok maybe the whole calzone thing is better but this is pretty darn close. talk about killing two birds with one stone. get rid
of land fills and make our own oil. only problem is its not any cheeper right now, in fact i think garbage oil may even cost a little more. but when you look at its benifits i think the good old govt should maybe invest in this a little more.

i think i heard on the descovery channel that one of the plants is near detroit and the other is somewhere in the mid west.

um mennitti maybe 100 years. 500 years ago would mean christpher columbus
could have just hopped into a motor boat and been here a lot quicker.
but we all knew what you meant. i'm just messin with you dude.

ok pop quiz !! gam dont you go cheeting now. but what was the main reason / draw
for the first automobiles? why were the invented? what promiss did the inventors make that they said the automobile would deliver on?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:40 AM on j-body.org
The internal combustion engine is about 150 years old, and the gasoline 4-cycle engine is about 125 years old.

The reclaimation process that you were talking about jackalope, was shown to have taken at least 2x the electrical energy to produce the equivalent of oil (joule by joule). It wasn't efficient, smelled terrible, and basically was about one grade higher than useless.

Maybe the process could be made more efficient, but it'd more worthwhile to harvest the methane gasses from the decaying layers.

There are several bio-etheric gels that have some promise, but the research isn't going to happen juuuust yet.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:42 AM on j-body.org
Build Biofuel refining plants and convert all of the major cities bus transit systems to Bio deisel and if the US gov't offered help to the major cities to buy GM hybrid powered buses, that could free up some refining plants and also free up alot of farmers dependance on the government for help. Get the major Railway players to buy these engines. Convert most of the trucking companines fleets to Bio diesel.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:50 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

My idea is this: Why can't the U.N. band together as a "union" and refuse to pay more than $20 per barrell?

It will never happen as long as the Carlyle Group is making the stupid amounts of money that it is off of the oil and the dependance that America has on this resource .

Alternative fuels will not be strongly supported or implemented until most, if not all the easily accessible oil reserves are totally extinguished. The price is not going to go down... the only reason the price would go down is if Bush needs more support from the general public.

Besides, why would Bush even care if the U.N. tried to do something? Its not like he listened to the U.N. when they found no WMD's and he went anyway. He wanted to go to war because he and his buddies would personally make stupid amounts of money because of it. Using the excuses of "chasing WMD's..." then later "liberating the people of Iraq" are just fabricated stories to make it sound good to joe american public.

Sorry.... but its pretty much impossible to keep the political slander out of a topic that is totally absorbed by it in every way.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search