Ideas on how to solve oil prices? - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Ideas on how to solve oil prices?
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 10:41 AM on j-body.org
graden, just how did bush and his buddies make stupid amounts of money off iraq?

and i think that the whole worlds intell. said he was stock piling wmd's. everyone did
so much back peddeling after we got to iraq you would have though that all the bikes in the world were designed to run in reverse. i could be wrong (gam be nice) but didnt
your prime minister also say there were wmd's. i know france did and so did the u.n.
( u.n. b.t.w. stands for useless nimrods. ) its great to have selective memory.

and i know i'm gonna get lots of hate over this but gas prices right now comparitively
are not high. look at petrol in the u.k. those poor guys are paying $6.00 and $7.00 a
liter. or there abouts. and there closer to the oil then we are! the news had a few weeks back that in todays money gas in the 1920's would have been the equivilent of almost $4.00 a gal. in the 50's its was like $2.50 a gal. during the gas crises in the 70's around $5.00 a gal. even as recently as the mid 90's when good old clinton was
in office and the whole world was filled with sunshine and rainbows and all of mankind lived in perfect peace and harmony ( yeah right! ... dont forget the blue dress and him on t.v. LYING thru his painted teeth about it. ) gas was the equivilent of $2.75 a gal.

so why all of the crying all of a sudden? no one bothered to blame clinton for the high gas price during his admin. hell he was perfect!!! ( clinton lovers are blind b.t.w. )
ITS BECAUSE HES AN EVIL REPUBLICAN!!!! grow up!!! the president has no more cotrol over oil prices in the middle east then does your prime minister.

and gam there are gas stations right now selling this garbage gas in detroit and in the mid west. yes it takes more to make thats why its no cheeper i think i said that.
anyway i dont know about the smell, never smelled it. but to get rid of land fills and get rid of dependancy on forign oil i personal think its a pretty good idea.

as for the bio-diesel spike is refering to g.m. also owns e.m.d. electro motive divison
they make locomotives some of there new engines useing direct injection use an intire railway tank car of fuel less every month! and e.m.d. and g.e. are both building prototype bio-fuel locomotives.

i still say give all the sheik dudes calzones and we could get our oil alot cheeper.

b.t.w. any takers as to what the automobile inventors promissed it would do for us?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:34 AM on j-body.org
jackalope wrote:graden, just how did bush and his buddies make stupid amounts of money off iraq?

Halliburton has receiveda number of no bid rebuilding contracts. Halliburton was one of the President's main campaign contributors.

Quote:

and i think that the whole worlds intell. said he was stock piling wmd's.

Actually, no, Russia had said that they *might* be using their uranium stockpile in their accelerator for bomb materials... it didn't, more importantly couldn't happen.

Britain (who actually had assets in Iraq) had reported that the Russians had been wrong, but Blair chose to neglect to read that report. Jordan and the Saudis hadn't heard of anything substantial.

Quote:

everyone did so much back peddeling after we got to iraq you would have though that all the bikes in the world were designed to run in reverse. i could be wrong (gam be nice) but didnt your prime minister also say there were wmd's.

Actually, no... he didn't. The Only thing that Chretien (PM at the time) had said was that in order to ascertain the possibility of anything improper going on, the UN inspections would have to be given time and field to work.

Quote:

i know france did and so did the u.n. ( u.n. b.t.w. stands for useless nimrods. ) its great to have selective memory.

If France had asserted something like that, I'd think it would have been in their interests to keep mum on it. (France has been a friend of Iraq's by helping build several Aqueducts and canals as civil works' renewal projects under the oil for food provisions, Several cities in Southern Iraq had exhausted their acquifers, and there was a real danger of the people dying of thirst). The UN at large had always advocated Inspections that were unfettered, and that was what was happening in about the last 90 days pre-invasion.

Quote:

and i know i'm gonna get lots of hate over this but gas prices right now comparitively
are not high. look at petrol in the u.k. those poor guys are paying $6.00 and $7.00 a
liter. or there abouts. and there closer to the oil then we are! the news had a few weeks back that in todays money gas in the 1920's would have been the equivilent of almost $4.00 a gal. in the 50's its was like $2.50 a gal. during the gas crises in the 70's around $5.00 a gal. even as recently as the mid 90's when good old clinton was
in office and the whole world was filled with sunshine and rainbows and all of mankind lived in perfect peace and harmony ( yeah right! ... dont forget the blue dress and him on t.v. LYING thru his painted teeth about it. ) gas was the equivilent of $2.75 a gal.

Hey, Canada's an exporting nation, and our gasoline is bloody expensive!

And if you want to start a wrangle about Clinton, what's worse: Screwing a secretary, or screwing the entire country?

Presidents lie (in all it's many attritionous guises) all the time to the people... do you think that you can handle the truth?

Quote:

so why all of the crying all of a sudden? no one bothered to blame clinton for the high gas price during his admin. hell he was perfect!!! ( clinton lovers are blind b.t.w. )
ITS BECAUSE HES AN EVIL REPUBLICAN!!!! grow up!!! the president has no more cotrol over oil prices in the middle east then does your prime minister.

Bush lovers are at least blind and at best selective. Clinton, nor bush can influence the overall price of gasoline or the per-barrel price except by opening up the national reserves... Clinton didn't have to do it, because the demand wasn't so high... from what I've seen (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Bush hasn't opened up the reserves very often since the oil crunch has started.

Quote:

and gam there are gas stations right now selling this garbage gas in detroit and in the mid west. yes it takes more to make thats why its no cheeper i think i said that. anyway i dont know about the smell, never smelled it. but to get rid of land fills and get rid of dependancy on forign oil i personal think its a pretty good idea.

I haven't heard of that happening. If has become part of the national energy strategy, it's damned foolish. Sell gasoline/oil products for $2.00 per gallon, and it costs about $3.85 to make? That seems counter-productive to my imperical mind.

Quote:

as for the bio-diesel spike is refering to g.m. also owns e.m.d. electro motive divison they make locomotives some of there new engines useing direct injection use an intire railway tank car of fuel less every month! and e.m.d. and g.e. are both building prototype bio-fuel locomotives.

Diesel-electric locomotives use about %15-20 of the diesel fuels... the rest is used primarily by Semi-Tractors.. some by trucks, and little by cars. Biodiesel is (to my knowledge) compatible with traditional Diesel engines.

Quote:

i still say give all the sheik dudes calzones and we could get our oil alot cheeper.

b.t.w. any takers as to what the automobile inventors promissed it would do for us?

Ahh.. sadly, Calzones aren't kosher.

Hopefully, we'll see more Turbo diesel cars and trucks in the interim before Hydrogen powered cars become the norm.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 1:27 PM on j-body.org
When I started driving 6 years ago, under the Clinton administration, I was paying no more than 95c a gallon, sometimes as low as 85c. By the time he was out of office it skyrocketed to 1.10 a gallon. But hey, atleast now I get a couple hundred dollars back in taxes that shouldn't be taken out in the first place. Considering I fill my tank up at least once a week, gas costs me an extra 40-50$ a month or more. There goes those wonderful tax breaks that have super-stimulated the economy!

My idea on solving oil prices is waiting 3 more years for a new president and getting out of Iraq. The cost of gasoline has doubled under the watchful eye of our current president.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 1:39 PM on j-body.org
my damn computer just crashed here at work and i lost my intire reply! ahhh!!

ok this time i'll give the quick version.

gam clinton used haliburton too not just bush they were used to help rebuild serbia.
so i guess clinton got kick backs too.

dont remeber exactly when gam do a google search i got computer problems here
but it was like 6 or 7 soviate spys got a medal from the pres for helping give intel
on wmds putin said he knew they were there. so did france. and you cant throw a blanket over all th ethings bush did and not throw one over your prime. you cant have it both ways if you want to split hairs with pres. ok but split them for your prime too.

dont care who clinton screwed hes a lyer we all know polititions ly but he did it to everyones face then came back and said oh sorry you didnt say what your deff. of "is"
is. but he was a dem so no biggy had a rep. don that you all would have wanted his head on a pike.

i agree garbage gas is a dumb idea i dont agree with it i was just reporting it.

the bio engines in locomotives are a little differant dont remember how but i can see if i can dig it up ( i'm a train buff )
there prime movers ( thats what a train engines engine is called dont ask dont know)
anyway the new ones g.m. is building use a railway tank car of fuel less everymonth.
thats impressive. there left idleing all the time sometimes for weeks on end cause
the exhaust for the prime mover has no way to get rid of rain and the railroad dosnt want them filling with water. they are not cheep the union pacific railroad placed the largest order in railroad history of 500 new emd sd 70macs so they would recieve a big discount price of 1.5 million PER locomotive quick gqm do the math.

hydrgen is crap. gam read about how much the total cost is. way more then gas.
also the production of the hydrogen makes more polution then gas ever could
also there is the whole hindinburg thing BOOM! no thanks cars cost more to build and maintain produce less power and go half the distance that a gas powered version
so your cav will make about 55 hp and get like 15 or 20 miles per gallon .
how is hydrogen better?????

and i'm sure we could make kosher calzones.

seriously tho gam and i'm not picking on you research hydrgen a little. i did and i cant
figure why anyone would be trying to push it.

also you may wat to check on clinton and haliburton.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 2:08 PM on j-body.org
Biofuel is the answer. Not only is it the answer to our energy independence, it's also the most zero-pollution solution available. All CO2 released during the burning of Biofuel is just the CO2 the plant sucked in during growth. No additional pollution is created.

---

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 2:13 PM on j-body.org
read my post on the pentagone that should explain it to you bliZsham. i've also noticed the prices of calzones going up.

and yes just 3 more years and then we get to put someone wonderful like hilery clinton
in office. if you guys would read everything out there not just a pre selected pre written
bunch of crap that most the news channels spew then you may not make such silly
statements as about the president controling the price of oil.

i said before i was done here i dont want to use up all my posts but it would seem
that gam may be the only other intelligent one here. well i shouldn't say that were the
only inteligent ones i'm sure some of you are too its just a shame you've leaned so far
to the left you've fallin over.

i'll wait till you've been driving for as long as i have 18 years then i'll be able to take
your comparision seriously. i'm not trying to pick a fight its just you don't have enough
info to make an informed comparision.

gam just make sure you dont lean left so far that you fall over as well.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 3:56 PM on j-body.org
Jack.... how is Bush going to personally make stupid amounts of money off of the war in Iraq? Simple, the old fashioned way, he is going to inherit it.

The Carlyle Group, These are the former world leaders and Washington insiders who are making "BILLIONS" in the "war on terrorism".

Bush - Former US President and Vice President, Former Director of the CIA
Carlucci - Former Secretary of Defense and Deputy Director of the CIA
Baker - Former Secretary of State and Sec. of Treasury
Darman - White House Budget Advisor Bush / Clinton Administrations
Ramos - Former President of the Philippines
Major - Former British Prime Minister

So how do they make all this money off of the war on terror? Among the companies Carlyle owns are those which make equipment, vehicles and munitions for the US military, and its celebrity employees have long served an ingenious dual purpose, helping encourage investments from the very wealthy while also smoothing the path for Carlyle's defence firms.

The Carlyle group does business all over the world and does business with many different governments. The Carlyle group gets investors to buy a business, overhauls it then re-sells for a profit, all unless it is one that they want to hang onto because of the money making potential that it has. It just so happens that some of the Carlyle groups investors are many of the Saudi Royals and up until very recently... many of the Bin Ladens. "The Bin Ladens claim to have ex-communicated Osama years ago".

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 4:51 PM on j-body.org
Sorry jackalope, I haven't made it past the first 'sentence' of any of your previous posts. And this one certainly isn't the exception.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 5:18 PM on j-body.org
Actually, Chretien and Martin (PMs) have never advocated invasion, both were firmly planted in the idea that there should be inspectors with unfettered access. They never said anything about WMDs because, they didn't want to have to chew on their shoe leather.

The intel about Iraq's WMD's actually came from Russian President Putin. It was based off of radio and telephone intercepts between a known arms dealer in Pakistan and a FSB operative in the Russian Federation that was posing as an arms dealer. It was a snipet of "shop talk" about an actual shipment of Uranium (that was legal) from Korea to Niger. The word was that Iraq was looking to arm itself against the Iranians who were stomping at the bit to attack Hussein. The whole conversation was confirmed by Her Majesty's Intelligence Service (or MI-5) to be false...

The report from HMIS was presented to the British House of Commons about 3 weeks post-invasion, and it was confirmed that the report made it to the PMs office, but Blair never saw or recieved information regarding the intel. France had no stance either way except to push for inspections and due course. Which isn't necessarily saying either way that they had WMD's, but that evidence should be presented first, and part of the due course would then be invasion if there were further problems. The US and UK had the resolution, but not a consensus of opinion. That was what has caused this schism in the international community.

I'll find links in a bit, but I do very clearly remembering that. The funny thing, is that if there WAS WMD's of a nuclear nature, Israel's Mossad agency would have been raising hackles like a rooster in a hen house... in this respect, they wouldn't have been quiet, because they would have wanted to act.

Anyhow, Clinton's administration DID award several contracts to Halliburton but they weren't sketchy no-bid contracts from what I remember.

Okay.. for Hydrogen, for now, the costs are pretty prohibitive to make it as a large-scale fuel, and for now that's fine. I pointed out Diesel as the fuel of choice because the engines can use several different fuel types, and depending on the fuel and atomisation, it can deliver the same kind of power as gasoline (ie, propane injection). Flexibility is the reason why I'd get a diesel engine... Anyhow....

Hydrogen won't become a viable fuel until the fuel can be made en-masse. And the Hindonberg happened in the 30's (and even then, it wasn't JUST an errant spark that lit it up), there's been considerable research since then. Fuel cell technology kept all the Gemini, Apollo, and today's space shuttle working... the technology is there, and it is very much a vetted technology over the last 45 some-odd years. Also, it's about 75-90% efficient, whereas even the most efficient gasoline powered cars today can maybe make 40% (that would be the Honda Insight/Toyota Prius type vehicles). Knowing that, I can see that the oil companies would be falling over themselves to stifle this kind of development, not that it's mere supposition.

Agustin: Co2 isn't the biggest problem we're facing right now... it makes up less than 3% of our atmosphere, and even if it was on a drastic increase, if you look at the heat island effect on the world temperature graphs, you'd note that there was maybe 3/10th of a degree increase... If you also look at the overall trends, the world's temperatures are actually going down.

While it is responsible to use less fuel, and more ecologically friendly fuels (it's not JUST Co2 that we have to worry about spewing out of the tail pipe, I know...), maybe the better idea is to just drive one day less a week.

Honestly, the thing that really irks me is that everyone is looking for alternatives to the fuels we're using, but they're not looking at reducing their fuel use at all. Consuming less, means that we're reducing demand, and lowering prices (kind of like the drug trade, ironically (treatment/avoidance versus cutting supply)... but that's another story for another thread).

In Canada there's a thing called the One-Tonne Challenge... You are given the challenge to reduce your output of all emissions by one tonne. The biggest thing that is being pushed by the gov't is the idea of reducing your total foot print... put out less garbage by using the 5 R's (refuse, reduce, re-use, repair, recycle), turn off lights that aren't needed, turn down your A/C and drive to work one day a week less, or carpool at least once a week. Maybe my liberal addled mind is a little askew, but it seems to me to be the most direct, and hardest hitting point. If you use less, you need less, you pay less.

Seems that the better idea of solving the oil price problem is to turn down the demand.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 5:54 PM on j-body.org
Just a FYI, Haliburton was the preferred contractor of the Clinton Admin also.
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 6:09 PM on j-body.org
Great...
Did the point that they actually had to bid on a project escape the conversation?

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 6:38 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Great...
Did the point that they actually had to bid on a project escape the conversation?

Did you know that Haliburton was given contracts by the Clinton administration without even having to bid for the jobs? At least under Bush, Haliburton bid and won the bids for each job they got. Anyway... As with all of the other things I have written here, there are many articles and much information about this subject... but I will give you a glimpse of what I have gotten out of it all. Remember Bush had to get through the scrutiny of an election already and most of this information is old.
Bush has no ties to Halliburton at all other than that his VP used to be its CEO - which is an indirect and now defunct tie. He once ran Harken energy but he's not connected to Halliburton. Cheney, before he became Bush's running mate in 2000, was the CEO of Halliburton. He resigned to run with Bush, and in doing so he actually lost millions of dollars. Cheney also took a severance package (which CEO's don't?) when he left which included deferred payments for the work he'd already done. These were reported on his 2000 and 2001 tax returns which leftist point to as a smoking gun to show a continued relation between Cheney and Halliburton - cause leftists don't understand things like deferred payments and stock options.
Halliburton's subsidiary KBR did bid and win a contract to help repair, improve and rebuild much of the damaged Iraqi oil infrastructure, and to also make it more efficient. Why? Well they're one of the world's best at it. But then so is Fluor, another U.S. company, and guess what? They got a NO-BID contract for Iraq oil infrastructure construction as well. And they're not even connected to Cheney. OH, the horror! There were also a couple of French companies that do this, but for obvious reasons they were not chosen. There was also Dutch Shell, but they didn't get a contract. Why? Well they're good but Halliburton & Fluor are better at what they do.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-12-11-halliburton-overcharge_x.htm
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 6:58 PM on j-body.org
Cheney is still recieving monetary compensation from Halliburton. That seems to me to be hardly defunct, and deferred payments mean that it is possible to sever those payments should something not swing the company's way (lawsuits be damned, thats called a baited hook in any other level of government). Your link even cemented my point that Halliburton was a MAJOR republican party campaign contributor.

If the scope of a project was outside of one contractor's abilities, instead of subcontracting piecemeal, a large corporation is given the bid if it requests, and subcontracts out as necessary. That's common sense. And if Halliburton is so gosh darned good at what they're doing, why is the oil not flowing yet? We're a good deal over 2 years hence.

Haliburton has to pay back overcompensations... great.. knew about that in 2003, and it is old news, yes, have they actually paid?

And now I ask the ever present question:
WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE TOPIC?

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:08 PM on j-body.org
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/04/25/60minutes/main551091.shtml

Just in regards to the off topic conversation.

Handing over no-bid contracts to any company stinks.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:18 PM on j-body.org
thats ok bliz i know you have a short attention span. no biggy

gam wmds dont have to be nuks. chemical weapons are wmds also. and look its
starting to snow we agree the best way to cut cost is to cut demand. i never acused
you off being the "L" word, me i'm neither, i feel the best person is who should be in the white house dem. or rep. i voted for clinton and i also voted for bush. bush may
noy be the best there is but at the time he was the best on the ticket at the time. both
goore and kerry are idiots, i know i know so is bush, but sometimes you have to vote
the lessor of two evils. and please in 3 years remember what hilery clinton said in
one of her speeches ( gam google if you like ) it was something to the effect that the american public should have 50% of there paychecks taken in taxes because the govt. knows how to spend your money better then you do. sorry but thats just to much like
communism for me. i work hard for my paychecks, so does my wife, and i'm sure you all do as well and i dont see why i should have to pay for some welfair case to keep pushing out babies just so i can get the bill. b.s. i didnt screw the ho so why is the govt. trying to screw me? kerry said he would raise taxes again why should i have to pay for these feel good goody two shoes liberal pet projects?!?!? double b.s.

it used to be the dems were for the little guy . now there just for what ever raises taxes.

i know this is a little off topic but i'm not some right wing nut job nor am i a left wing consperousy therist. i'm right up the middle and who ever can make things better i'll vote for. at least gam has some facts to back up what he says. so i'll debait you
anytime my friend its fun. if everyone else wants to get facts great more fun but stop all the wild biased acusations that have no basis in reality.

gam haliburton did have to bid your right but why were they accepted when they were out bid? the news down here is a little diferent i think not saying your illinformed
because obviously you are well informed but i live right outside d.c. i think maybe the news could be reported differently here and thats the reason for some of our not seeing eye to eye.

as for fuel prices i think we should open the artic to more exploration and drilling .
i mean why not the alaskin pipe line has been around for how many years and no problems, at least none i've heard of , gam you? also cut off japans oil being exported from us let them deal with sheiky we have oil lets keep it and let the rest of the world
fend for themselves.

its a shame bliz cant get past the first sentence he may learn something he seems like a nice enough guy but a little un informed.

and i still think we could make kosher calzones.

graden its nice to see someone else here with more then 3 brain cells. all polititions can usually be traced either directly or in-directly to these companies its always been this way i hope it changes that way some of these arguements would go away but for now we'll just have to agree to disagree. i dont see the problem with who ever runs whatever company. if you were a c.e.o. crairmen of the board or the an investor
wouldn't you want the absolute best people running your company? i know i would
why would i want to hire someone who has no international experience no contacts
and no know how when i comes very delicate forign relations i dont care if it was
mickey mouse if he were the best for the job then why not hire him?

wouldn't you want the best person for the job?

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:24 PM on j-body.org
For those that never worked with a Haliburton employee, I will tel you this Haliburton has backed every front runner and incumbent there is no matter the party , When I was in Haiti Haliburton was all over it and that was during Clinton, They are the main Defense contractor because of thier Structure, They remain deplyable at a phone call and have every skill set known to man on thier staffs. Haliburton could careless who is in office, there will always be wars and natural disasters to contend with no matter who is in office.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:37 PM on j-body.org
98 sunfire and mrgto thank you for bringing more facts i'm sure gam just accidently
missed some of these.

too busy with the calzones gam? well its better then your coffee.

so it looks like its settled then.... all politions are not bad just none are any good

i also think they should get rid of all yhese damn taxes on gas that would help alot.
i haven't looked on a pump lately but i remember the taxes were almost a doller a gallon.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 2:53 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/04/25/60minutes/main551091.shtml

Just in regards to the off topic conversation.

Handing over no-bid contracts to any company stinks.

So you mean that the Bush Admin actually knew it was going to have to help Iraq rebuild after the war? Wow...so they did anticipate something correctly uh?

And as someone said, Haliburton does it best. You don't want a 2nd rate company doing work....
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 8:24 AM on j-body.org
Best is fine, as long as the price is competitive. If you're footing the bill, best bang for the buck might be a bigger consideration. Plus, if you have a company that is smaller, but is still able to the same job, for a lower price, do you not think that they would be more than a little eager to please? Getting a shot at a slice of pie is a very good motivator.

Juicing prices to over $86 for a single sheet of playwood (not including transportation) seems more than a scoche outrageous to my imperical mind... (it's included in the CBS news link). Being deployable etc, is fine, there are already companies that are just as able to do parts of the jobs for reasonable amounts already in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

Dropping a several billion dollar gift in the lap of a preferred company is fine, just bloody well cop to it...

Jackalope:

I didn't forget to mention what mrgto said, I agreed with what he said... the motivation behind much of what he said is what I question. Read above...

Anyhow.. I know WMDs come in 4 flavours (CBRN, Chem, Bio, Radiological and Nuclear), and I know how to handle materials contaminated with all of them (not in a disposal form, but identification and containment).

If anyone knew how to spend their money, the Government wouldn't be in trillions of dollars worth of debt, hundreds of billions in defecit, and the average person wouldn't have over $8000 in high interest credit card revolving debt.

The thing that's funny, and I don't label myself as either conservative or liberal very rigidly: many have no inkling that a good welfare system actually brings people out of the system, and it actually PREVENTS crime. If people can eat, and live, they won't have to commit crimes out of want (there will always be people that will, and that will never change), and if you educate people, and basically give them a way out of the dependance on the state, they'll take it. That's not communism, hell it's (somewhat) working in Canada...

The Alaskan pipe line hasn't bee a BIG problem due to the fact that it runs alongside the acqua duct from BC's Glacial fjords that feeds California, for much of it's length, and what isn't there has been at least partially buried or run underwater. The line from Anwr was proposed to built on the ground, not covered, and therefore cutting off the major food supply from several inuit tribes, whose land the line would have to built on. The extra oil wouldn't really help out any. BTW, Japan buys most of it's oil products from Russia, the US really doesn't export oil at all... it's maily distributed within the continental US, but not outside the country.

There's more, but right now I'm working... I'll post later on tonight.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:51 AM on j-body.org
ideas on how to solve gas prices?

WALK! simple. Don't drive everywhere and use public transportation if necessary.

Unless you have a medical condition, if you can't walk, say, 3 miles to your destination--you're lazy.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, July 07, 2005 4:12 AM on j-body.org
Supply is not only the prblem.. but Refining the oil into fuel. We also need to concentrate on alternate sources.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"

Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:43 AM on j-body.org
The people who mentioned alternative fuel are right on.

All this electric motor and fuel cell talk is nothing but trash. It won't work, and for many reasons - not the least of which is the fact that it would render millions of vehicles completely obsolete and useless.

What we need are 3 things:

1. Ethanol to replace gasoline completely. Most modern cars can be retrofitted pretty easily to run on Ethyl alcohol. Not only would this almost eliminate our reliance on oil, but it would generate huge financial interest in U.S farmland to grow crops to produce this fuel. Its a win-win situation, not to mention we can screw over those middle eastern bastards at the same time.

2. Biodiesel to replace diesel. Its already being used in many diesel powered vehicles by individual owners, all we need is a distribution network. Apparently it runs just as well as petroleum diesel, and the exhaust smells like cooking oil. Both Biodiesel and Ethanol burn very clean, meaning the exhaust is almost harmless and carbon buildup is non existent.

3. Get rid of Bush. He has done nothing but cause problems for this country, and the oil situation is no different. His administrations interests in oil are the reason that we are still importing petroleum from the middle east. We need a president who understands that the countries needs come before his own.

My CarDomain Page
Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:14 AM on j-body.org
the ethenol is a very good thing, in iowa plus gasoline is 15% ethanol which makes it acually cheaper then regular...(which i think is funny) its a very good thing, it runs very well in vehicles, which would help the farmers like wesmansw2 said,
with the bio-desiel mcdonalds throws away millions and millions of gallons of veggie oil away every day from all there so called restaurants, they could take it and sell it or give it away to oil companies to give to people that drive desiel vehicles, i was driving along the freeway saw some broke down hippies and they had a desiel volkswagen van and it ran purely off of veggie oil, they said they strain it before it goes into the 55 gallon drum at the back end of the car, they said they havent seen a difference in the power or miles per gallon lost,
with the president thing, one things great about having a president or a PM, if anything ever happen in the country we always have someone to blame it on.
Thursday, July 07, 2005 2:52 PM on j-body.org
Bio diesel isn't just used cooking oil, although, diesel engines can run on it quite efficiently... they just smell like a french fry (or freedom fry if you like Liberty pickled Cabbage).

Http://www.Greasecar.com sells a few different kind of kits, and http://www.veggiegas.ca is a place you can get that stuff from.

Biodiesel is a few different compounds blended to be as combustible as traditional diesel, but using less oil based products. Last I saw the recipes, they actually used about 60% plain old diesel fuel.

Electric Vehicles are actually very much a viable alternative, mainly because they are at least 80% efficient, and if there was better electrical grids, you could use a high current outlet and fill up the batteries much faster than today. Also, battery Technology would need to make one or two major leaps (ie, physical constraints like weight, and then power retention). Not entirely impossible, but not viable just yet.

Most vehicles (unmodified) couldn't burn pure ethanol without heavy alterations. Blending is the key. IIRC, the most you can blend in is 40% before you start burning out piston rings and coking up valves every 10000 miles, not too bad, but still enough to literally end reliance on foreign oil supply. Even mandating mechanical & exhaust inspections and making engine tune ups at given intervals (35,000 miles?) mandatory, as well as putting a minimum of 12% ethanol in all grades of gasoline, that'll cut down tremendously on the environmental costs, and, it'll help the price of gas to go south.

Hell, just inflating your tires to the proper pressure will do a lot of good.

However, all these great strides forward will only mean MORE consuming of resources, so the very first and best step: stop using so much fuel. Carpool, Bus, bike, walk...

Thursday, July 07, 2005 3:27 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

with the president thing, one things great about having a president or a PM, if anything ever happen in the country we always have someone to blame it on.

One thing I don't get is.... if the person you have in power is doing these things, how could that person logically be re-elected ?!?

These alternative fuels are great and all but they are not yet fesable options for the general public to use as a replacement fuel. Really, I don't think that these alternative fuels will be readily available or will have the support until the crude oil is pretty much gone. The oil companies are too powerful and they don't want to lose money in any way shape or form. I'm sure they will start producing alternative fuels down the road but they won't when they can do it for less the same way they have been doing it for years.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search