Ideas on how to solve oil prices? - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Ideas on how to solve oil prices?
Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:29 PM on j-body.org
I am glad that no one brought up the idea of hydrogen cars. Not only are they a total waste of money for purchasing, but also a waste of money for research. A hydrogen fuel cell that would power a car the same distance as a normal vechicle, would have to be over 4x the size of the car itself. Not to mention the immense pressure that the hydrogen in the tank would have to be stored under, and the cost of seperating the hydrogen from the oxygen.

As for breaking up OPEC, doesn't matter...arab countries like Kuait don't follow the price of oil that OPEC sets anyway. Not to mention almost all of our forigne oil comes form Venezuela anyway. If anyone should be having a cow about the high arab gas prices, it should be the EU.

And I love it how people flip out when they see that European gas prices are over $5.00/L. Why should we care. Not only do European cars have higer efficency engines than over here, but they also have an extensive train network. Beside, you can go from Berlin to Paris in like 4 hours by driving anyway.

Reduce consumption, reduce demand, reduce prices...done.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 8:33 PM on j-body.org
Hello adam you seem like a decent law-abiding citizen what was your plan again? I'd like to assign you to my committee for the oil crisis....will you take the offer???

If you decide to join us then hopefully yer ideas will BE WORTH A CRAP!!!

God Bless America!
Together we can defeat the Terrorists!!!
Friday, July 08, 2005 6:59 AM on j-body.org
Mikey: Stop posting crap. No-one takes you remotely seriously. I don't have to explain why.

Adam: hydrogen isn't YET very efficent, mainly because the research hasn't been put into it. You can use Liquid hydrogen as the fuel, and it will work very nicely, but then again, NASA only used on just about every space mission. What do they know.

And I gotta agree with your last point... Even if MikeyLikey can't put 2 and 2 together.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, July 08, 2005 7:28 AM on j-body.org
Mennitti wrote:Any ideas, aside from political slander?

My idea is this: Why can't the U.N. band together as a "union" and refuse to pay more than $20 per barrell?

I assume because the oil money is helping fund the reconstruction in the middle east. I heard that Opec had more than doubled the second place profits for any business last year. Even if Opec isn't our only source of oil, that is still rediculous. Gas has gone from $.99 in 1992 to $2.18 today. How are they justifying the daily fluctuation of price?

ever hear of the oil for food scandel........... they are all part of the corptrate world that want to rape everyone....... i thought i noticed a bulls eye painted on my a$$

and the reason that we havn't gone over to an alternative fuel is because they want to drain every penny out of us before they are forced to give us a cheap reknewable fuel like alchol

if we started using alchol for fuel it would shift global power to the us even more and the world is def against that............... it would shift it even more to us because we are the number 1 grain producer in the world............

i just think it would be nice that i syphin my gas tank and get drunk =)

Friday, July 08, 2005 8:33 AM on j-body.org
Or go blind.... your choice

Saturday, July 09, 2005 6:42 PM on j-body.org
This is why nothing gets accomplished in the government either. Few are proposing solutions, most are complaining about the current situation and blaming others.

Like I said; don't make this political and slander leaders. I dealt with Clinton for 8 years, get over it!

I just want to hear your ideas on what will help gasoline prices for our cars in the near future.

^CLICK ME TO SEE HOW I BUILT EVERYTHING^ How To in Interior Forum
Saturday, July 09, 2005 7:23 PM on j-body.org
We have an oil man in the White House. He is making millions with his stocks in the oil giants, Exxon reported record earnings in the past quarter. He isnt going to do anything, he will lose money if the price drops back to when we had the Clinton years.

The problem we have is we need a different President, one who has the peoples interest ahead of his own.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Saturday, July 09, 2005 7:25 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
Adam: hydrogen isn't YET very efficent, mainly because the research hasn't been put into it. You can use Liquid hydrogen as the fuel, and it will work very nicely, but then again, NASA only used on just about every space mission. What do they know.

Yeah...but then again...they used it to send this gargantuan piece of ceramic tile into space, a one way trip...not to go get a gallon of milk and a movie...who knows...by the time we can get the public and auto makers to accept a secondary fuel we will already be flying by then...then we can bitch about high jet fuel prices

Saturday, July 09, 2005 10:06 PM on j-body.org
Once we get to that point, I think we'll be complaining about the noise first.

Really, I don't think that multi-tier air ways are going to be possible until we invent a gravity negation drive... and that's not going to happen any thyme soon.

Sunday, July 10, 2005 6:04 AM on j-body.org
The biggest problem with hydrogen is the fact that as of now, it takes more energy to get hydrogen then can be harvested from hydrogen. IE: 1KW hour electricity prodeces X amount of hyfrogen but when reated with oxygen the output is is 800WH. Those numbers are not real, just an illistration to make the point. Hydrogen is an excellent energy storage medium, but not a good fuel.

We need a new way to get hydrogen, splitting water molecules is terribly ineffecient.

Biofuels are an excellent transition fuel, allowing current combustion engines to operate while we figure out something better.

the scary stuff... 40% of all crude oil is used fro the production of fertilizers. Everyone thinks about their cars when the oil runs out, but the fact is, there'll be a huge reduction in the amout of FOOD available. Forget your cross country tour of a vacation, that's not the important part at all. We're gonna starve if we don't fix this problem.

It will be our children or if we are lucky, our grandchildren who will be forced into a massive crude dependancy programme.

Do not dtrive to ruduce prices, that is not practical at all. Oil is finite and therefore will not go down in price. If you want to keep prices at the current level, our consuption must be dramaticly reduced within the next 30 to 50 years.

If we don't fix the problem by finding other fuels, we're screwed.

PAX
Tuesday, August 16, 2005 4:24 PM on j-body.org
to reduce oil prices, Gas Sales most go Down. good luck with that...

each year there are more and more cars on the road burning fuel, how is it going down if people keep buying more gas than the year before

I think Oil will eventually run out.

some power plants burn Oil to produce Energy so we can watch TV at home.
if oil prices keep going up we may have to go back to nuclear Power.
and that would be a target for terrorist

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 5:49 PM on j-body.org
Adam: sorry to bring this up at this late a time, but 40% of your Oil usage is from Canada. not 40% of the imported oil... 40% of the OIL usage. No ships needed.. it's done by pipeline.

The way to solve the oil price problem is 2 fold:
1: depose the oil self-interested out of the executive branch of legislative power
2: Sell off several million (6-7 million) barrels of sour crude and 1-2 of light sweet crude from the strategic oil reserve... You'll be down about 10 million barrels, but you'll only have 680 million barrels left.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 7:16 PM on j-body.org
KICK BUSH IN HIS BUSH.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, August 16, 2005 7:20 PM on j-body.org
Cheney?

Read Point #1... It's a blanket statement.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:43 AM on j-body.org
Now common'. If the US removed oil greedy bastards from it's government, well first, there'd be nobody left, and second. The number one thing the US seems proud of lately is it's military. That would be less than half of what it is today without power hungry oil barrons. We wouldn't have half of the ultra cool killing machines that are available today if it weren't for them.

PAX
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:14 PM on j-body.org
the best part of this gas hike is when the gas companies ie. Husky buy their billion litres of petrol for the stations at say 50 cents/litre this is just an example..
they sell it to us for over a dollar per litre.. mostly because of Government taxes NOT because of the price of barrels rising..
if the price of barrels rising today went up 10 cents then why does the gas still already purchased at 50 cents and not 60cents cost us now more than 10 cents more the next or even same day?

Another question is why on earth does Canada sell americans ~40% of the oil they use at a cheaper price than what we pay for it? if you ask me we should keep the damn oil ourselves save on the money for importing and let the americans suffer until bush gets replaced, relations with the middle east rise once again and prices of barrels go down so we can actually have some decent fun in our cars again .

but ya just a dream isnt it.

or heck better yet, invest in hybrid cars or get on the h2 cars being built by a few companies.. there have been h2 engines around for years.. maybe if we pressure the powers to be enough the mite actually get off their ass and suck up the fact they will lose money to the gas companies' contracts with them to sell petrol autos, and sell us h2 cars !

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/618295
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:35 PM on j-body.org
It's just H for hydrogen. The power comes from JOINING hydrogen and oxygen, not splitting them... had to point that out.

If Canada cut off the supply to the US, first, our gas prices would glut out, and Oil companies would topple over, and second, we'd probably hit joe-average American hard enough where it hurts (Wallet) we'd get invaded...

Second, Americans are buying oil itself as a commodity on American markets, and thus, pay no taxes, and they pay in US dollars which stack up agains CDN funds a little better.

I would have no problem clipping the supply pipes to the oil, the aquaducts to CA, NV, AZ, and the power to the NE USA... hey, NYC was a fun place in the dark ... I couldn't rightly say there wouldn't be backlash, nor could I say in good conscience that people wouldn't die... AZ/CA/NV would die of thirst if there was no water flowing from Canada. I don't even want to know if people died during the blackout in the NE USA/Canada 2 years ago.

While I don't like that Canada is paying WAY too much for gas, (and it is a fixed percentage of the gas company's final cost with profit tacked on) I can see it as a real solid kick in the complacency of the average idiot to stop wasting power.

My folks run their cottage off a propane cylinder (okay.. it's bloody huge, but its still the only source of fuel other than wood), and a Solarcell/wind generator arrangement. The cost is cleaning and re-greasing the gears on the reduction portion of the windmill, and sweeping the photocell clean now and then in the summer.

Funny thing: they have power up there, and they can even get high-speed internet.. I guess the power delivery charge is a bit exorbitant when you get it direct from the sun for a song.

Thursday, August 18, 2005 8:13 AM on j-body.org
http://www.lilybrookherefords.com/stef/waterasfuel.htm

explains how water (h2o) could be used as fuel.
What i meant by H2 cars is Hydrogen after water was put thru electrolysis where it splits up into H2 and O the H+ and O-2 would make you think the H2 would separate aswell but not in this case, dont ask why i didnt pay attention in class for that explanation.
There are already cars running via water, sure they arent going to be winning drag racing contests or be the fastest things 0-60 but umm can u imagine never really needing to fuel up?

BTW we got the price of gas from NDoday, converted US gallons to Litres USD to CDN and we got that GrandForks is paying about 82 cents canadian per litre of gas where as here in Winnipeg we are over 1 dollar.
Go figure eh.

Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:09 AM on j-body.org
I haven't read a single post made in this thread, so forgive me if I cover something already covered.

But when gets me, is that in America, we have a way of getting the impossible done when we REALLY want to get it done. Let's fact it, Kennedy said lets put a man on the moon in a few years and BAM!, we're on the moon. We needed an atomic bomb to end WWII and scare the Russians..BOOM!

If the Federal Government REALLY wanted to get off of foreign oil, we simply need a Man-to-the-Moon effort to do it. Why not? We'd drastically reduce our trade deficit, we could put all that farm land the government pays to keep barren to use to grow veggies for ethanol, and be zero-pollution because burning ethanol means we're just burning CO2 that was taken out of the atmosphere in the first place.

Brazil has already done it. Why can't we?

Further on this topic... the crop with the most BTU per acre isn't corn.. it's hemp!! We could grow hemp in the desert and get like four crops a year out of it.

We're so blowing it.

---

Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:56 AM on j-body.org
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/16/tech/main781291.shtml

I read this on yahoo like a week ago, it just might be the solution we are looking for.
Thursday, August 18, 2005 11:04 AM on j-body.org
trdcelica: Hydrogen isn't really small and powerful enough yet, and secondly, there isn't a hydrogen extraction method that can be done in quantity enough to suppliment fossil fuels.

Even Mass-electrolysis operations can't put out enough to keep a fleet of taxis on the road, and besides that, the power required to extract the hydrogen from water is prohibitive... you actually put more energy into extracting the fuel, than you would recieve back during combustion.

Thursday, August 18, 2005 1:15 PM on j-body.org
1.5 volts which you can actually achieve with a few series-lined AA batteries for the amperage can separate h2o.
the technology is already here, just what gas company would want that to come out rite now?

Thursday, August 18, 2005 1:22 PM on j-body.org
sorry that is wrong.. not in series.. but meh u get the idea.

Friday, August 19, 2005 7:03 AM on j-body.org
The problem is that the power required to seperate the H from the O is greater than the power recieved when recombining them.. Hydrogen has a negative energyu impact. It's not viable at all in it's curent state. period. In the battery scenerio you must consider the energy recieved versus the cost of manufacturing the battery and delivery. You will get more power by running straight off the battery leaving the electrolysis out of the picture.

Hemp is the answer, governments know it, lumber companies and oil companies hate it. Hemp will product 4 crops a year, it's uses include clothing, cooking oils, cereal grains, and voletile fuels. on an acre to acre comparason, hemp produces nearly 4 times as much paper than trees. The oils in the seed can be refined and almost copletely substitute crude oil products. Fuels and plastics can be made from it. It isn't hard on soil (less damaging than corn). etc etc etc .. But for some reason it's dangerous to us.. Yes, in a sense. If we exploited hemp for everything it has to offer, our economies would flip upside down, and that's a problem.. What I don't see happing, and it should be, is the gradualy introduction and acceptance of hemp. Just enough to offset losses in oil production or something like that in the beginning, just to get us rolling.

PAX
Saturday, August 20, 2005 10:00 AM on j-body.org
Americans would need to lose thier egos and drive what they need and not what they want, but that will never happen because too many ppl love thier oversized gas hogging cars

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search