File-sharing suffers major defeat - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
File-sharing suffers major defeat
Monday, June 27, 2005 9:40 AM on j-body.org
Take a look at this

So does this mean I can get a gun, kill somebody, and blame it on the gun manufacturer and use this case as precidence that it wasn't my fault?

When will people start taking responsibilty for their own crap. The big reason they were pushing for this probably was that its a lot easier to get a hold of the companies running the service, rather than the users sharing files.

Re: File-sharing suffers major defeat
Monday, June 27, 2005 9:46 AM on j-body.org
People will still do it. It's really not going to matter much because if nothing else, it could be an overseas problem if, say, a norwegian company develops it.

I'm more impressed with the other landmark descsion the supreme court made.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, June 27, 2005 11:16 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]People will still do it. It's really not going to matter much because if nothing else, it could be an overseas problem if, say, a norwegian company develops it.

I'm more impressed with the other landmark descsion the supreme court made.

yep, everyone will keep on doing it. And that's the problem. It's easier to just shift the blame to a couple dozen companies then try to nab millions apon millions of people who do it everyday.

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Monday, June 27, 2005 11:36 AM on j-body.org
What i meant was this:

Back in the 60's, My dad had an opern reel tape recorder, as did many of his friends, and even into the 70's, he would tape songs off of the radio and share them with his friends.

With the advent of the cassette, it made it easier sicne it was easier to carry than a tape reel, and you could fit more on the tape.

Back in the 80'sm, when VCR's came into play--how many people would tape TV shows, Movies, or even dub movies onto a different tape to give to friends?

No matter what protection happens, people will share things like this--whether or not it's right or wrong is debateable--i know many musicians that encourage filesharing, and many that cry for it's end. The fact is, no matter what countermeasures there are, people will still do it.

See also: Drug laws.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, June 27, 2005 3:13 PM on j-body.org
The ruling is actually pretty narrow. You can make a file sharing product, but you can't sell it or promote it on the premise of infringing copyrights. Streamcast and Grokster did exactly that.

Bittorrent, for instance, has never promoted that (besides, it has no tracking servers of it's own). It doesn't fall under this ruling.

---

Monday, June 27, 2005 3:35 PM on j-body.org
Torrenting actually makes it easier to track, because there ARE tracker-references built into each torrent file. Without the tracking information, you can't build the swarm.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, June 27, 2005 3:43 PM on j-body.org
That's not the point. Bittorrent's creators do not promote it as a way of infringing on copyright, and make no effort to facilitate the transfers on their own servers. I mean, there IS the search but again, nothing promoting what may lay in said searches.

This doesn't change the file sharers they already go after, but that's unrelated to the ruling.

---

Monday, June 27, 2005 9:49 PM on j-body.org
Exactly...

However, the trackers that traffic the files' destinations are the ones that are likely to get poked in the unfriendliest places.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 1:45 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]What i meant was this:

Back in the 60's, My dad had an opern reel tape recorder, as did many of his friends, and even into the 70's, he would tape songs off of the radio and share them with his friends.

With the advent of the cassette, it made it easier sicne it was easier to carry than a tape reel, and you could fit more on the tape.

Back in the 80'sm, when VCR's came into play--how many people would tape TV shows, Movies, or even dub movies onto a different tape to give to friends?

No matter what protection happens, people will share things like this--whether or not it's right or wrong is debateable--i know many musicians that encourage filesharing, and many that cry for it's end. The fact is, no matter what countermeasures there are, people will still do it.

See also: Drug laws.

I strongly agree. No matter what you do...we will pirate!

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:30 AM on j-body.org
You know, I downloaded a lot of music when I was a kid in HS without a job. Because between holidays and money I got I would maybe get 3 CD's a year. Then I got a full time job. I've had my entire CD collection stolen twice and I still BUY my CD's. I just think it's selfish and just plain rude when some of these people will spend hours downloading the whole CD, reburning it into the correct order, and sometimes even tracking down the CD cover images to make it look like the original, when the original can be had at Best Buy for $13!! Not a whole lot of an excuse now that you have all those websites where you can buy tracks for a buck now either. I don't think anybody here would be too happy about it if you poured months of blood sweat and tears into something and everybody said they loved it but then stole it.

Bottom line if you can afford it, buy it. If you can't afford a flippin CD then chances are you're too damn lazy to ever even think about how much work goes into some of these things, so just like medicare I guess don't worry the rest of us will pick up the tab, jerk.
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 10:02 AM on j-body.org
Philter: I have about 3000 CD's, and most of them are NOT store bought. I buy from pawn shops, used CD places.. etc.

A cd here costs about $21, and there's no damned way I'm shelling out that much for a CD with only 2 halfway decent songs on it.

If you knew how badly artists get screwed by the record business, you'd laugh. They get maybe, MAYBE 8 points per CD. A CD has 58 points, each point is about 22 cents. An artist usually gets less than 8 on a development contract.

Artists are getting royally screwed no matter what, for the 1 artist that makes it big, there's 20 or so more that flop. And, if you're an artist, you usually have to pay back all the advances a label gives you in order to record a CD, and if you're lucky, it's without interest. Have you ever wondered WHY it is that a lot of big name artists released MP3's instead of regular CDs?

Anyhow, MP3 sharing has done a lot of damage to the music business... it only added 1.2 billion dollars to the RIAA's membership till in 2003 over 2002. This when a year over year increase of 20 million was considered a good year.

Game Companies are another story, because their product is entirely digital, but, to be fair, I don't own a console game station, so I'm not worried about piracy on that end.. most kids that know anything about modding PS2/XBOX know it's a one shot deal, and you cannot go back once you've done it. I figure it's playing with your own damned electronics when the warranty is only 120 days, after the warranty expires, it's your problem, not their product.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:00 PM on j-body.org
i still think its stupid to sue a manufacturer when their product is used illegally.

and sony of all companies shouldnt have a say in it. they make CD burners.....shouldnt those be outlawed? i can think of maybe 3-4 out of 3-400 times ive burned cds that werent music cds. so isnt sony playing both ends of the spectrum there?

Thursday, June 30, 2005 1:03 PM on j-body.org
hows this. instead of having 3 bentlies and 2 hummers, how bout you sell your cd's for 5 bucks, and have a ferrari and a suburban? compromise, no?

me stealing it is the lesser evil IMO.

btw, F*CK YOU MICROSOFT. i will NEVER EVER pay for anything of yours. ill sooner get assraped in jail.

this useless post brought to you by the alcoholic known as LUNDiS

Friday, July 01, 2005 7:04 PM on j-body.org
The problem is that the technology is out there...

Sony makes the technology to serve the purpose.. BTW, the RIAA successfully levvied congress for a 50 cent per tape and CD "tax." while it was passed, it never went into use.

The thing is that the technology has legitimate use... MP3 was supposed to be outlawed until MP3.com and their associated artists successfully defeated the motion, because it infringed on their ability to release the music that they owned and controlled in a format that they could afford.

Fast-track client makers, Torrent Client makers, USENET client makers... they can't help it when someone that uses their product does something illegal... otherwise gun manufacturers would be toast.

Friday, July 01, 2005 10:49 PM on j-body.org
it doesnt really matter what a court does ppl are used to being able to do it , it will go on in some form and the hackers will be ALWAYs one step ahead

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, July 02, 2005 10:29 AM on j-body.org
For music: it's pretty easy... go back to vinyl.

How many people do you know that have a decent turntable?

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 8:48 PM on j-body.org
we have one, still works too, i cant stand the non clear digital sound but thats just what i grew up with

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search