Time for Alberta to exit, stage right? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Time for Alberta to exit, stage right?
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 8:31 AM on j-body.org
Let's talk about them Canadians for once...

Article

---

Re: Time for Alberta to exit, stage right?
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:20 AM on j-body.org
The article is true IF they were allowed to leave without taking their share of the debt with them. They should also consider that in the early days of the western settlement, they recieved enormous support from the eastern provinces as well as the mother country (England).

They have less right to secceed than Quebec.

Both are thinly veiled threats. The Alberta independance movement is not at all a new thing and has never really gathered steam.

PAX
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:27 AM on j-body.org
^^ In a word, True.

Alberta has it better with Canada than without. I think that the author should realise they are still a receiving province for federal-provincial transfers, The only ones that are not are Quebec and Ontario.

A political emeritus has no business deciding Financial factors, no more than a Financial doctorate has any business deciding political ideology.

One thing I can say quite frankly is that if Quebec (with roughly 20% of the population of Canada) can't get off its haunches and figure out a way to confederate, Alberta won't either. They'll be just as pissant as the average Canadian in the grand scheme of things, and never really get anything done.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, July 17, 2005 1:05 PM on j-body.org
Alberta doesn't have debt. We paid it off I think beginning of this year. Not sure but it's fairly recent.

And for the love of God I hope Alberta would never do this, as unlikely as it is. I wouldn't want to live anywhere that Ralph Klein doesn't answer to anybody. His whole thing on gay marriage was just retarded.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Sunday, July 17, 2005 2:54 PM on j-body.org
Alberta has no provincial debt. It has tons of federal debt accumulated over the last 100 years or so from recieving transfer payments. The direct opposite of Ontario and Quebec who are owed money by the feds but have large provincial debts. For that matter, Quebec may actually owe on both fronts now that I think about it. I should look that up.

At any rate, every citizen, and therefore, every province owes something to the feduration.

PAX
Sunday, July 17, 2005 6:53 PM on j-body.org
IIRC, the federal debt owed by Alberta is substantial. Provincially, each person HAS to pay income taxes, and they've been kept artificially low, even though each person in Alberta gets a royalty/dividend cheque.... Joys of having an Oil-based Econonmy.

Anyhow..

It would be at least as monumentally stupid for Alberta to try and cede as it would for Quebec.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search