STOP SMOKING?!?! - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
STOP SMOKING?!?!
Friday, July 15, 2005 6:27 AM on j-body.org
so what do you guys think should smoking in public places be banned? i quite 4 yrs
ago and now cant stand cigerette smoke. but should it be compleately banned in
public? even outside? what do you guys think?

and did you realize that you can be charged with child endangerment if your caught
smoking in your own car if you have kids with you? hello big brother!

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Re: STOP SMOKING?!?!
Friday, July 15, 2005 6:44 AM on j-body.org
1 - i think smoking should be allowed, provided people use ashtrays. smokers who toss their butts are nasty.

2 - GOOD. that IS child endangerment. HELLO SECONDHAND SMOKE!

pirates kick ninja asses, f00
Friday, July 15, 2005 6:58 AM on j-body.org
oh i agree with you about the kids but i dont want to smell any nasty a$$ cigerettes
while i'm trying to enjoy a nice diner out either.

Friday, July 15, 2005 7:04 AM on j-body.org
It should be banned in restuarants and workplaces depending on the size and number of people who frequent the restuarant. Here it is illegal in bars as well which I don't think it should be. I think people who throw their cigs out the car window should get a nice big fine though, if I hadn't shut my window when I did yesterday I would've got a nice burn in the interior probably.

Friday, July 15, 2005 7:05 AM on j-body.org
This is a tricky one, it never used to bother me, but lately the smell gets on my nerves more and more. Last night I went to a bar where one of my friends was smoking. While it was nasty, that really isn't the type of place where I can complain.

If you really want to get down to freedoms, then no they should not be allowed to smoke in public. People might say they have the rights to do what they want with there own body, and that is fine. But when you extend the negative externality onto me, then it becomes a problem. Should i have the right to release stink bombs in public?

and on another note, i think they should increase fines and crack down on people who throw there butts on the ground.

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Friday, July 15, 2005 7:06 AM on j-body.org
well, the thing is, smokers DO have their rights. Jackalope - if you don't want to smell their cigarettes while you're outside eating, then don't eat outside.. that's a pretty easy solution, don't you think? now if you're talking about smoking indoors - kill it. i can't stand it when people smoke indoors. all it does is linger and ruin clothing.

i can't say that i like the smell of smoke myself...Scruf had to quit smoking just to be with me. the smell makes me retch. i don't, however, think that smokers should be banned from smoking outdoors.

Friday, July 15, 2005 7:16 AM on j-body.org
sorry i ment eating inside not outside.

i was just able to get my wife to quite a few months back. smokers dont realize how bad they reek and its absolutly no fun kissing a smoker there breath is like death.

Friday, July 15, 2005 7:17 AM on j-body.org
i think all publically owned land and buildings it should be absolutely banned.

any privately own restraunt theatre, etc. etc the owner should decide if there is smoking or not
Friday, July 15, 2005 7:24 AM on j-body.org
Im not going to lie, I miss smoking, its so hard to quit...If I could smoke then I would but then I would be letting down a few friends who I told I would try to stop for them.

BUT, I think its nasty to smell it while Im eating. I think people who smoke while they eat are gross too.

I think that there should be smoking sections for people who want to in restuarants and bars...as far as other public places, its not needed. If they want a cigarette so bad, then go outside.

Friday, July 15, 2005 7:25 AM on j-body.org
jackalope wrote:sorry i ment eating inside not outside.

i was just able to get my wife to quite a few months back. smokers dont realize how bad they reek and its absolutly no fun kissing a smoker there breath is like death.

that's partly why Scruf(and any other guy i have dated in the past) are given the choice of quit or don't date me. i will not kiss a smoker...and the smoke gets me doubled over in pain from coughing my lungs out.

Friday, July 15, 2005 7:33 AM on j-body.org
hey i'm not a smoker anymore can i have a kiss?

and steff please dont take this the wrong way. i know its hard to quite congrats your
better off without them. but according to doctors its like 10 times harder for a women to quite smoking then it is for a man. its got something to do with the way you girls brains are wired i dont know.

Friday, July 15, 2005 7:50 AM on j-body.org

you'd have to ask Scruf if that was allowed

Friday, July 15, 2005 8:30 AM on j-body.org
oh ok

Friday, July 15, 2005 9:25 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope: I can attest that smoker's breath is not like the smell of death... it's usually worse. (attend an autopsy or 6, you'll see what I mean)

I think smoking is a filthy habit (although, a good cigar once in a long time is a fine thing). And, I've been pressuring my GF to smoke outside the house, and while I've had little success, it's only a matter of time before it works

Really, smoking in an al-fresco restaraunt is still digusting, I just try to make sure I sit upwind of the smokers, and my GF respects that... as long as there's a bit of a breeze, it's cool, if there's not any, we're sitting inside.

Smokers DO have rights, but no less than non-smokers. If they're in a restaraunt, I'd think they would be obliged to leave when they smoke because I'm there to eat, relax and talk, not inhale carcinogenic by-products from their filthy habit.

Smoking in a car: hey, both my parents were smokers, My mom quit, and my dad now smokes outside (and pays 25 cents per stick... forced savings). When I was a kid, both smoked in the car with the windows rolled up tight, and only after yelling back at them (and being a petulant little 10 year old by throwing both their packs of butts out the window on a 8 hour drive to my grand-parents' place) did they finally catch the hint that I REALLY GOT BAD HEADACHES WHEN THEY SMOKED.

Now, neither of them smoke in their cars when they found out the dealers de-valued their trade-in because of the filth from the ashes and odour.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, July 15, 2005 9:45 AM on j-body.org
I can't stand the smell of smoke, and boh my parent's have since I can remember. And not a day goes by that I don't yell at them for it.

Anyways, I agree with Pretjah (HOLY CRAP!!!), if it's a privately owned establishment or land, it should be up to the owner's to decide their policy. HOWEVER, publicly owned buildings, it should be banned, simply because smokers can tolerate clean air for a while, whereas some non-smokers either get headaches like GAM, or go into coughing fits like me and falnfenix. Publically owned land, I don't particularly care as long as it's outside, I can almost always avoid smoke if I'm outside, but inside, sometimes it's nearly impossible.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, July 15, 2005 9:58 AM on j-body.org
i agree that a privately owned building such as a restaraunt you would think it would be up to the owner of the place especialy a bar. but here in md there are certian counties they you can not smoke anywhere inside period. i believe in northern va. its the same way. there are also believe it or not areas where even smoking outside is not allowed
and it will get you a ticket if your caught.

as for the smoking in the cars with kids its up to the officer that stops you as to weather or not child protective services gets called and your kidds taken out of your car untill
its cleaned so that they are satisfied. i know it sounds harsh but docs found that childrens lungs while they are still young can be permenantly damaged from second
hand smoke. so if parents love there kids they wont smoke around them.... oops
sorry gam didnt mean your mom or dad didnt this info is kinda new so dont blame them.

Friday, July 15, 2005 10:08 AM on j-body.org
Here in Wisconsin they are banning smoking in public places in most cities. You have to be 20ft away from restaurants and or bars I think it is. But here in Appleton people are just going onto the sidewalk outside of the bars and now College Ave(Downtown) sidewalks are covered in cigarette buts.

I personally don't mind it as long as they're not blowing the smoke directly at me. Bars are fine but restaurants I can agree with the ban because I don't really want to deal with it while eating.

Friday, July 15, 2005 10:14 AM on j-body.org
either smoking should be illegal or marijuana should be legal as well...

Friday, July 15, 2005 10:20 AM on j-body.org
agreed and TAX THE CRAP OUT OF BOTH OF THEM plus alcohol
Friday, July 15, 2005 10:38 AM on j-body.org
pret thats a great idea tax the living hell out of the three and cut taxes on gas so its not
stupid expensive anymore.

Friday, July 15, 2005 10:44 AM on j-body.org
no i'm in favor of a decent(not a horribly large tax) on gas.

i'm just in favor of straight line flat tax.

elimintate income tax.

raise gas tax...all tqax from gas, and car sales and mechanic services and tolls go directly to road and bridges.

and etc.

Friday, July 15, 2005 11:14 AM on j-body.org

Friday, July 15, 2005 12:01 PM on j-body.org
dude it's only fair. tax people who use the highways and use that tax to fix the highways.
Friday, July 15, 2005 2:01 PM on j-body.org
that could be done with tolls like it is around here.

Friday, July 15, 2005 3:09 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope: no biggie... They caught the picture after I flipped a pack of Export A Xtra light Kings and Benson & Hedges 100's out the window

Pret: Flat tax will not work, I'm sorry. Also, if you think for a minute that most if any of the money in Gas taxes you already pay goes to repairing the roads, you're deeeead wrong.

Municipal/county/state treats it like regular sales taxes and thereby puts it into the general funds.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search