Rice...a derogative word? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rice...a derogative word?
Friday, July 22, 2005 9:41 PM on j-body.org
The word rice on the JBO forums gets thrown around alot and pretty much in the general Tuner world. Usually if someone sees a car that has an aluminum wing on a FWD car, they call that rice. If they see a 7 inch tip muffler, they call that rice. Really it all depends on the person on what they call "rice" and they don't...

Now saying that, we all know in some perspective that the word is a general slang term meaning "A badly modified car or part". I think many people haven't seen where the word "rice" comes from though.

Rice is actually a derogative word that is (or was) directed towards Asians and I think many people don't look that far into the word.

Now I'm intelligent enough to know that people who do say the word "rice" aren't (for the most part) racist against Asians so they aren't saying that to hurt any one denomination. The word has molded itself into a slang term much like how "nigger" used as a derogative word towards black or African Americans is now used as a slang term "nigga".

I thought I would shine some light on this subject cause I think people don't realize what they are saying and the roots of where it comes from.

What do you guys think? Did you know this already?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Re: Rice...a derogative word?
Friday, July 22, 2005 9:44 PM on j-body.org
I know why they say it, and i hate when its used towards a car. Its complete bull@!#$ , and its not funny. It never was, and it never will be.

Someone spends there hard earned money , spends there time , and creates there own ideas on what they want , and if someone doesnt like it , they can label it "rice" . Thats b/s.

Rice is a food, and thats the only thing it should be used for. End of damn story.

Friday, July 22, 2005 9:44 PM on j-body.org
actually it comes from rice burners, making fun of asian cars, which ill continue to do every day of the week because they are inferior and I generally dispise the stupidity of the average american for thinking asian cars are so wonderful, they arent...they are made by short men with small penises

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, July 22, 2005 9:48 PM on j-body.org
Yeah, I think originally, it was somewhat racist... but now, chances are that a ricy car is owned by any race. I call plenty of cars rice and plenty of people ricers, but 9 times out of 10, the person being insulted is white.

Friday, July 22, 2005 9:49 PM on j-body.org
I totally agree with that one...rice comes from such people as to when they describing any car that has decals with brands of aftermarket parts or just parts on the car that look outrageous...I once seen a Civic that had a green puke colored back bumper and side skirts with a red front bumper and a wing that didnt belong on any car...but what is the definition of rice. Someone trying to make their car stand out...or someone that thinks putting a streetglow decal on the side adds 5+ HP...the definition of rice will never be correct and the context of the world will always be wrong.
Friday, July 22, 2005 10:56 PM on j-body.org
Rodimus Prime wrote:actually it comes from rice burners, making fun of asian cars, which ill continue to do every day of the week because they are inferior and I generally dispise the stupidity of the average american for thinking asian cars are so wonderful, they arent...they are made by short men with small penises

A short man with a small penis could have built your car aswell, how do you know? What does that have to do with the car? Your saying that if an extremly tall white man with a huge penis built a car, it would be a better car than a short Asian man with a small penis could build? Grow up. And while your at it, please explain to me what their physical attributes have to do with their cars?
Friday, July 22, 2005 11:23 PM on j-body.org
.JeRsEy KiD.* wrote:
Someone spends there hard earned money , spends there time , and creates there own ideas on what they want , and if someone doesnt like it , they can label it "rice" . Thats b/s.

That's not BS, that's the way sh!t works, no matter how many coom-ba-yas you sing.

---

Saturday, July 23, 2005 1:15 AM on j-body.org
well, people started using the word "rice" to refer to japanese bikes, like suzukis, yamahas, etc. as "rice rockets" long before people started using the word to refer to modified cars. still, it isnt the nicest thing to say, although it doesn't make fun of asian people. it makes fun of ANY person who modifies an asian car with "poor taste".

Saturday, July 23, 2005 1:48 AM on j-body.org
actually, "rice" began as "rice burners". meaning any car built in Japan. usually it was Hondas, Mitsubishis and Acuras that earned the nick name "rice burners" since they are Japanese built cars. as we all know, rice is grown in the Orient. same place as those cars originated. so it was basically a way to insult those car manufacturers and the people who drove them (since it is usually Oriental people who drive those cars). since the staple crop of the orient is rice, it was basically saying that by burning rice, they were somehow inferior to American cars that drove on gasoline.

so by equating something as being "rice" or a "rice burner", it's a derogatory term meaning that it is inferior to American made cars. even a domestic car can be termed as "rice" because someone doesn't like the way it has been modified.

imo, calling something "rice" is just plain ignorant. a car made in Japan (actually, a lot of "import" cars are now made in America), is no more inferior than most cars made here in the states. they all have their up sides and their down sides. big deal. it's just a way for stupid people to think that they are better than other people (see other: slavery, blue eye vs brown eye debate, etc). it's a justification that people use to feel better about themselves while making others seem inferior. it's all a buch of bullsh*t.

Saturday, July 23, 2005 10:39 AM on j-body.org
actually Japanese imports are BETTER than domestics in most peoples average opinion they are more dependable and you can put WAAAAAY more miles on them in most cases..Japan is the best at making cars thats why so many people are pissed...I know i've had TONS of problems and recalls for my j-bodies i've owned can't really remember anythings thats happened that wasn't spose to on my honda

I think we should start calling everything 'RICE' like a black dude with gold teeth or huge fake gol medallions around thier neck THATS RICE

white people with WAY too many piercings and tattoos THATS RICE

People that wear those new 2005 gm small car bash t-shirts with all those company logos THATS RICE

those star wars fans that going to conventions wearing costumes THATS RICE

Cops wit POLICE and 911 all over thier squads THATS RICE

WHAT about ice cream trucks they fulla RICE
Saturday, July 23, 2005 11:04 AM on j-body.org
BlacKMagiC wrote:actually Japanese imports are BETTER than domestics

yeah i want a slow, hard to work on, expensive as hell for parts, and economy draining waste of metal for my car.

-Borsty

Saturday, July 23, 2005 11:32 AM on j-body.org
SHIIII take it to the shop like most people

and what u talkin about anyways nowadays you got dem imports everywhere it aint that expensive GET OUT DA STONE AGE BORSTY

Saturday, July 23, 2005 9:15 PM on j-body.org
I agree with what Cannon Fodder said.

Sunday, July 24, 2005 9:37 AM on j-body.org
This is rice to me

its funny acualy.

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Sunday, July 24, 2005 9:47 AM on j-body.org
I use rice as word to describe a car that is poorly modified, or is modded without a plan in mind (ie. hap-hazardly throwing on accessories and not really doing anything to the car as far as making it handle better or go faster).

If it's well done, but not to my taste, then I'll say just that.

The whole "Pimp my Ride" phenomenon (taking a beater and polishing it like stupid) wouldn't be so bad if it weren't creating cars that are basically gilt lillies... they really can't serve their intended purpose after the show is done, and they usually have no extra get-up and go afterwards. Not ricey per se, but really, they're building show queens.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, July 24, 2005 11:44 AM on j-body.org
i like uncle ben the most. i find that used in proper portions it gives my car the same performance gains as a 75hp shot of nawzz.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Sunday, July 24, 2005 10:57 PM on j-body.org
Some of you guys are losing the point of this topic...do you guys feel it's a derogative statement?

Monday, July 25, 2005 11:00 AM on j-body.org
Rodimus Prime wrote:actually it comes from rice burners, making fun of asian cars, which ill continue to do every day of the week because they are inferior and I generally dispise the stupidity of the average american for thinking asian cars are so wonderful, they arent...they are made by short men with small penises

a whole lot (maybe even most) "asian" cars are built by fat toothless white slobs in good 'ole 'murica. i guess 'muricans are short, fat, toothless, uneducated, incestuous, and have small penises. sucks to be you i guess.

i despise the stupidity of ignorant americans like yourself for thinking that somehow a cavalier is better than a civic/mazda3/echo hatch etc..... they are just cars.

stop kidding yourself.
Monday, July 25, 2005 2:08 PM on j-body.org
The only reason anything is deamed racist is because people see it that way, if someone called me a cracker or whitey, i would be like "damn straight". words are just that, words, if you get offended by words you need to get help. I am itallian and american indian and i dont get mad if someone calls me a wop or dego, its a freaken word. Just like clasifying the word f*ck as a cuss word, its been clasified as a cuss word but in essence its just a word.

Rice is not derogatory unless you think it is, get over it you little pussys you ruin everything for everyone else with your bitching and complaining. GET OVER IT.

This was not directed at anyone personally, just my opinion. thank for reading, i approve this messege.

Funny thing is there are more ethnic slurs for white people than for any other race, here are a few.
A-doh-a
(Taiwan) "Tall nose" - offensive slang in Taiwanese referring to a white person
Afro-Saxon
(North America) Young white men who act black
Albino
(U.S. Blacks) whites, also a derogatory term for light skinned blacks used by darker skinned blacks
Ang Mor / Kwee
(Singapore Hokkien speakers) Red Hair (Devil), a white person
Babtou
(France) a white person (verlan for "toubab")
Bak Gwai
(Cantonese) a white person. - literally means "white ghost"

LOL, reading this page makes me see that the white race has pissed alot of people off. HAHA http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-ethnic-slurs

Monday, July 25, 2005 2:52 PM on j-body.org
yes, the f word has been socially deemed a cuss word, and is socially accepted as such. "rice" in the world of tuner cars and 4 bangers is considered a derogatory word because it is insulting the origin of those cars. again, refer to my earlier post.

yes, it is just a word. but it's the context and the implied meaning of the word that is the insult. i could walk down the street all day saying the word "rice", and it wouldn't mean jack. i could look at a poorly modded civic and call it rice, and the owner would probably take offense to it, because that is the derogatory manner in which i had intended it.

it's just as ignorant (imo) to call something rice as it is to use any other racial slur.

Monday, July 25, 2005 3:01 PM on j-body.org
Oreintals are not people. They are rugs and food.

Monday, July 25, 2005 3:35 PM on j-body.org
I agree with you fodder, makes alot of sense, i just didnt see it that way.

i saw this honda the other day, had this fine a$$ asian chick in it, and on her gas tank it had an intel looking symbol that said "rice inside". Is she being darogatory to her own race? or is that like black people calling each other nigga.?

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 4:24 AM on j-body.org
[quote=ŠleveŽ One]I agree with you fodder, makes alot of sense, i just didnt see it that way.

i saw this honda the other day, had this fine a$$ asian chick in it, and on her gas tank it had an intel looking symbol that said "rice inside". Is she being darogatory to her own race? or is that like black people calling each other nigga.?

Actually I think it might be the same case. You can insult your own culture in a joke because you are that race and no one will see it as an insult or a derogative statement.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 5:38 AM on j-body.org
I can see it being a slam agaist the car, but I dont think its quite the same thing as calling an African American a "nigga" ( i hate that word ). Calling an African American
that will useually get you beet down, and rightfuly so. Its a horribly derogatory word
that was used by ignorant red necks during a terrible time in there history. The word
actualy comes from Nigger, which is an area or state located in Africa, but due to the lack of inteligence on the part of the slave traders it became the word we now know.

But as for saying "rice" holds the same kind of derogitory level as the other word does
just doesn't make sence. I know a few Asian people that I consider friends and when I
asked them there opinion of this I had to explaine it to them. They have never heard "rice" used this way before. "Gook" "Slant eye" "Yellow" all these yes. But "rice"
no. Its only used to poke fun at cars not people.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 9:40 AM on j-body.org
jackalope, he means how African Americans call each other niggas, not someone outside of the race.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search