bad idea...THE FAST AND FURIOUS! - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: bad idea...THE FAST AND FURIOUS!
Sunday, July 31, 2005 8:42 PM on j-body.org
I enjoyed the first movie quite a bit...but then again I was young and impressionable, but it kinda lead me to my car.

I enjoyed it almost as much for the cars (gotta love having a huge movie company behind you) as for the little quips that are noteable
"you can go down to fat burger and get a burger and fries for $2.95 f%*#@t"
"I like the tuna here"
"Bull %&#@ a$$ hole, no one likes the tuna here"

The second one was a waste of time, the only nice thing was lookin at the exotics, and the Yenko...*drool*

I guess their thinking about making a third one that is supposed to be over in japan about drift racing...once again...screwing up something that has aucutally taken off here that isn't done illeagly.

Sunday, July 31, 2005 9:48 PM on j-body.org
i liked the movies, both of them. truth is, they got me into modifying cars. I guess im a "ricer" since i care more about exterior modifications than performance mods. then again, I NEVER race, at all. I dont even go to the drag strip, does that mean im stupid for being influenced by the movie to fix up my car? In fact, I even drive like 5 mph under the limit, so what would u guys call me? think about it, its common sense racing is stupid as well as dangerous, if u go out and do it just cause u saw a movie about it, then thats no different than watching a superman movie and trying to jump off a 10 story building thinking u can fly. so basically ur mentally challenged if u do that. I think i made a point here....

Monday, August 01, 2005 10:01 AM on j-body.org
Dam-it Muffins (Event) wrote:[quote=Keeper of the Light™]No, Van Helsing was a comedy--so was Bram Stoker's Dracula--when Keenu Reeves was on the screen. I swear, his english accent is as bad as Kevin Costner's.

Still, i could not find any entertainment value in it. Which puts it beneath "plan 9 from outer space" in the bad movie market...

but not as bad as "Battlefield Earth"

well for me, quite the opposite....found alot of entertainement value in it....

partly cause when i look online, or some of the clubs i;ve visited through the last 6 years, i could relate each character to like 2 people....

so theres my comedy.

entertainment value?

"you almost had me, you never had your car....so no me and the mad scientist gotta go rip apart the block to replace the piston rings you fried...."

"torreto....swat came to my home, disrespected my family....and you know what? it was YOU!!!!!" (pointing like when hulk hogan starts hulkin up and finally he points at the heel and says "YOU!!!!!!" and the crowd says it at the same time)

then you have the famous

"yea i got that attention disorder, defeciet...... you mean ADD? yessssss.....that sh_t!" -jesse.

then vinces non coochie gettin butt get beat out by a pretty boy.....

lots of "caaaaaaaaaaaahhhh-medy"

and i agree... cult followings they dress up each year and go out to shows or gatherings of that film or music group, just to watch the same thing over and over again.... no one really does that with TFATF....

i know so many people who own it, but complain about it so much..... my view, if its that bad for them.....sell it, trade it in.... get rid of it....

but in all honesty, like said, i love the movie.... i dont try and emulate stuff in it, but the catch lines, the fact that it had something to do with one of my hobbies, i enjoyed it.

nj honda killa, dont really think the movie hurt us as much as the idiots who try and be like the movie...

its kinda like you cant say GTA san andreas made america like it is today cause you can beat up officers, steal fire trucks and such.... when some kids commits a crime, you cant blame it on a video game... the blame is on the people who do the actions...

i mean there was and still is a disclaimer at the beginning and end of the movie....both 1 and 2.... this is where common sense should come in from those who wanna try and outrun the cops on blown piston rings and harboring an ex con....

We may have to agree to disagree on that, but such is the thing with movies--i found it complete and utter schlock. But then again, some people found the Blair Witch Project entertaining. I personally couldn't see that happening unless i snorted a bushel of cleanser.

Still, i do not think it will become a cult clasic. I just can't see people in 20-30 years coming to the misnight showing of it at whatever theater, all in lime green mustangs, and carrying NOS tanks into the theater. Rocky Horror it isn't IMHO.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, August 01, 2005 5:29 PM on j-body.org
oooh new word for today....

schlock i take it is like "pew pew, doo doo, etc?"

but thats cool. its just one of those movies i can watch and just relate,but drift away... kinda like willy wonka.... you know a place like it doesnt exist, but the things that occur COULD happen if it were bizzaro world...ya know

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:47 PM on j-body.org
For that i use the Lord of the Rings, or a number of books.

But really, "schlock" is anything that to me is so bad that it can't be good. Unlike, say, Van Helsing", which was so bad it was good (but won't be a cult classic), Schlock is like, say, "Left Behind, The movie", "Highlander II--the Sickening", "Jaws 4", "Battlefield Earth", "Howard the Duck", Kevin Costner's acting in "Robin Hood: Prince of Theives", recent Saturday Night Live, etc.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Tuesday, August 02, 2005 6:00 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]No.

TFATF is not a cult classic.

Heavy Metal is a cult clasic
Rocky Horror Picture Show is a cult classic
Army of Darkness is a cult classic
Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a cult classic.

TFATF if anything, is like Howard the Duck--popular when it came out but years from now it will be made fun of for the schock it is. I think it will end up the "ice Ice Baby" of the movie scene.

Cult Classic car films... is there such a thing.

Vanishing Point, perhaps?
Bullit? probably...
The French Connection?, ok well just that one scene
The original gone in sixty seconds?
Le Mans?

F and F series is maybe too some extent, i mean look at the amount of ricers that think these are awesome movies... remeber keeper, just cause your not in the cult, doesn't mean its not one... lol j/k.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 6:10 PM on j-body.org
I'm not in the rocky horror cult, either....

i seriously don't see it as a cult classic, or cult classic material. I see it more as something that once it's target audience has moved on, it later become the butt of jokes.

Time will tell, of course, but I still don't see it as becoming one.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Tuesday, August 02, 2005 6:35 PM on j-body.org
Emor8t wrote:[quote=Keeper of the Light™]No.

TFATF is not a cult classic.

Heavy Metal is a cult clasic
Rocky Horror Picture Show is a cult classic
Army of Darkness is a cult classic
Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a cult classic.

TFATF if anything, is like Howard the Duck--popular when it came out but years from now it will be made fun of for the schock it is. I think it will end up the "ice Ice Baby" of the movie scene.

Cult Classic car films... is there such a thing.

Vanishing Point, perhaps?
Bullit? probably...
The French Connection?, ok well just that one scene
The original gone in sixty seconds?
Le Mans?

F and F series is maybe too some extent, i mean look at the amount of ricers that think these are awesome movies... remeber keeper, just cause your not in the cult, doesn't mean its not one... lol j/k.

but realistically, who is gathering year after year to see this movie replayed in theaters?

like rocky horror or old school rock bands?

no one.... so its not even a cult.

i personally think its an awesome movie, but doesnt mean i try to emulate it.

as its been posted year after year... it is what it is... its not made to win grammy;s or oscars, its there for comic relief and unreal entertainment.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 6:55 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]I'm not in the rocky horror cult, either....

i seriously don't see it as a cult classic, or cult classic material. I see it more as something that once it's target audience has moved on, it later become the butt of jokes.

Time will tell, of course, but I still don't see it as becoming one.

True. Its is perhaps a cult with born on date and a death date to be determined.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 7:10 PM on j-body.org
Cult Classic films are ones that have a loyal following at least 15 years after it's original release.

Star Wars original Trilogy, Blues Brothers, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Monty Python (Life Of Brian, Holy Grail... etc.), Pink Floyd - The Wall.

Bullitt, Vanishing Point, Gone in 60 Seconds/Itallian Job (original) are iconic films. They have fairly thin plot, and really are for star face-time and are an exercise in making something look cool.

F&F is pretty iconic, it's all over the map wrong and has a pretty flimsy plot, but otherwise, it makes street racing and the tuner culture look cool, and was the erupting point for Tuning in general. It's not at all representative of the tuner scene on the whole, but that's not the point.

There are a few films that are both Iconic and Cult, and F&F is not one of them.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 7:37 PM on j-body.org
I personally like both movies. They're mindless entertainment, which I find relaxing sometimes.

Now, the effect it has had on our culture is debatable. It seems to me that the creators were trying to mix two different subcultures: street racing and car shows. The cars in the movie looked like typical show cars, with flashy graphics and a lot of electronics. However, these cars were thrown onto streets for racing, which is probably a way to make street racing seem a little more flashy for the movie. This is most likely the cause of the ricer movement of the last few years. I happened to like some of the designs and paint jobs of some of the cars, and if I had a show car I would make a unique paint job, however I'm a driver, so I would rather put my money elsewhere.

There also has been an influx of idiots to the scene, which is unfortunate, but these people would be idiots regardless. Sadly, there is no cure for human stupidity.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 7:44 PM on j-body.org
Wrong.

The sure-fire cure for human stupidity is death.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 7:52 PM on j-body.org
That may help individually, but short of human extinction it will never fully eradicate the problem.
Tuesday, August 02, 2005 8:14 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Wrong.

The sure-fire cure for human stupidity is death.

not always....

think about those who try to commit suicide....and fail.......multiple times

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 8:18 PM on j-body.org
They're seeking the cure!!!!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 12:08 AM on j-body.org
Tim Curry in drag... beautiful. I'd hit it. *drools*

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 8:43 AM on j-body.org
So would my roommate, Kellie

Anyhow, i will agree that the film is iconic, but not a cult classic. Iconic ones can fade away, cult classics never die, and in some cases reach timelessness (see also: The Three Stooges, The Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello, etc.).

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, August 03, 2005 9:01 AM on j-body.org
Keeper, I agree, but you're talking about film standards. Duck soup... Classic slapstick.

Duck soup = Slapstick comedy standard.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:05 AM on j-body.org
Sorry gam but seeing Vin Diesel in a 69 charger pulling a wheelie while smoking tires
is the comedy standard.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 2:09 PM on j-body.org
No, i'm talking about timeless comedy, like Duck soup, or the Three stooges, etc.

Watch Howard the Duck (iconic for the mid-80's) and see how badly it aged.

How many people still do the "Who's on First" routine?

How many people still do a homage to the pie fight scene from "In The Sweet Pie and Pie" where curly can't fire his pie off 'causehe keeps getting hit by them?

And i feel that in 50+ years time, the whole, "'tis but a scratch" routine will still be humorous, along with the "Yo, She-bitch....Let's Go!"

I don't see Vin Diesel in a 69 charger pulling that wheelie still being a hallmark of comedy in 50 years time. Mayeb the chase scene from Blue's Borthers through the mall.

I see at best, TFATF being one of those movies where the fans say, "hey, we havne't watched TFATF in years...let's watch it..." and then wait a few more years to watch it again...

...kinda like Stripes or UHF

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, August 03, 2005 2:48 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]No, i'm talking about timeless comedy, like Duck soup, or the Three stooges, etc.

Watch Howard the Duck (iconic for the mid-80's) and see how badly it aged.

How many people still do the "Who's on First" routine?

How many people still do a homage to the pie fight scene from "In The Sweet Pie and Pie" where curly can't fire his pie off 'causehe keeps getting hit by them?

And i feel that in 50+ years time, the whole, "'tis but a scratch" routine will still be humorous, along with the "Yo, She-bitch....Let's Go!"

I don't see Vin Diesel in a 69 charger pulling that wheelie still being a hallmark of comedy in 50 years time. Mayeb the chase scene from Blue's Borthers through the mall.

I see at best, TFATF being one of those movies where the fans say, "hey, we havne't watched TFATF in years...let's watch it..." and then wait a few more years to watch it again...

...kinda like Stripes or UHF

the same as "tis but a scratch" quote will be humorous

the whole.... "you almost had me, you never had your carrrr!" will still be a humor point in the years to come.

also the "it doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning" phrase.... and prob the motion...

and the same as the blues brother chase scene, the 2 min quarter mile in TFATF will be remembered.... its prob one of the first times a 10 second quartermile in a movie took 2 minutes.

howard the duck, garbage pail kids, RAD.... i have all those movies

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 5:27 PM on j-body.org
for you or en masse?

I think it will be a iconic film, not a cult classic or a timeless classic. But that's just my opinion.

But i do have one good thing to say about TFATF...at least Keenau Reeves' acting didn't ruin it.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wednesday, August 03, 2005 6:09 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]for you or en masse?

I think it will be a iconic film, not a cult classic or a timeless classic. But that's just my opinion.

But i do have one good thing to say about TFATF...at least Keenau Reeves' acting didn't ruin it.

if they had used keanu with his exaggerated drama and whiny voice for paul walker....especially when he was talkin about respect...

i might woulda just had to unzip my pants and remove my balls from their nutlocker, and stab myself repeatedly with the straw from my large soda....

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 6:22 PM on j-body.org
Iconic: stands as either the best or worst of a given film genre
Cult: a film that is usually not iconic but has a large group of dedicated fans
Classic: Something that is considered the "Gold Standard" of a given film genre many years after the original release.

Howard the duck wasn't really any of those. I haven't seen it on the bill (pardon the pun) of any of the local reprise theatres. However, take The Blues Brothers, it's on the Thursday comedy night at least 3-4 times a year... Same with Casablanca, it's on at least 2 times a year, and it's always elbows and asses trying to get a decent seat because the theatre is always packed. Rocky Horror Pictureshow is on at Hallowe'en every year, and it's always big, but then again, it's only on the play bill once a year.

I hate to use something as crass as a sales figure, but really, Gone With The Wind is a classic, and has out sold most of its contemporaries (converting 1950's dollars to 2005 dollars for inflation and ticket prices).

Thursday, August 04, 2005 12:18 PM on j-body.org
yes, Gone with the Wind is classic.

Howard the duck was more iconic of the 80's then of a specific genre--although i'd give the 80's more to Back to the Future.

Taken into the cartoon realm: you have the iconic ones (Beavis and Butthead), you have the cult following ones (Dragon Ball Z--or just about any anime for that matter), and then you have the classics--like Tom and Jerry (the originals).

Granted, the list is not all-encompassing.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search