Global Warming - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Global Warming
Saturday, August 13, 2005 8:11 AM on j-body.org
junk science thats all it is

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Saturday, August 13, 2005 8:23 AM on j-body.org
YUP what /\ /\ /\ said.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Saturday, August 13, 2005 7:17 PM on j-body.org
jackalope wrote:Gam those are tird world countries. They are usualy at least 100 years behind the rest of the world when it comes to technology. Take China for example they are just now begining to phase out steam powered locomotives for disel powered. There about
100 years behind or exparmenting with diesel power and by the time they drop the last fire from a steam locomotive it will prob be 2050. Technology is getting better and reducing emisions but it can not happen over night. But if you wait a little while they'll catch up.

Hrmm... 3rd world countries (notwithstanding the economic problems which are not germaine to the thread) usually have to rely on dirty and cheap methods of power generation. We're really fortunate that we have geography enough to build resevoirs for hydro-electric dams. Most of the problems regarding power generation for the masses (ie 3rd world nations) could be fixed with adequate photocell and wind technology for homes... Transportation though... I can't see it becoming cleaner without a real step forward with technology being adopted here.

As for China, Steam is prevalent, but they've been turning over to electric and somewhat to diesel.. mainly because their oil industry is pretty much in its infancy. If they begin to harness their natural geography and use hydro-power dams, I think they'll be a lot better off than they were with coal.

Electric is the power of the future, I think.. Fossil fuels are fun, but, really, we're wearing them down way too fast to really keep them as an option for the next 100 or so years IMHO.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, August 14, 2005 4:39 AM on j-body.org
Hydro electric brings massive amouts of methane, so it's not so great either. All of the biomass at the bottom of the man-made lake (previously above water) released huge amounts of greenhouse gasses while it decomposses.

Solar and wind are the only clean sources. Nuclear power would be the second cleanest form, with the least environmental impact. Kinda scarey because the nuke thing can get out of hand, and the eactor tend to put weapons into people's hands.

I agree that electricity is likely the way to go, but the generation tech must improve. We still need a viable answer for air transport. Diesel aviation engines are coming along, they are far more efficient, so that's a start anyway.

We better start thinking about huge environmentally controlled farms and whatnot too, as alternate fuels are only usefull if we have a place to grow food. Farm land is starting to decline as rainfall patterns shift. Yes we can irrigate but that will never be as good as rainfall. Natural rainfall adds upto 100 tons of nitrogen per acre and 20 tons of sulfur. Those added nutrients make a huge difference in crop production. Irrigation does not provide those benefits. There are huge numbers of trace elements and carbon compounds (vegetables are nearly 50% carbon) provided by rainfall as well. This is just one of the hundreds of problems facing agriculture of that future. Right now nearly 40% of all crude produced goes into agriculture, mostly fertalizer production.

It doesn't look to good in the future if current trends continue, we're gonna run out of food. Kinda ironic as we all get fat and wonder what to do with our surplusses right now.

PAX
Sunday, August 14, 2005 5:48 AM on j-body.org
That should read that rainfall can add 100 lbs of nitrogen and 20 lbs of sulpher per acre.

PAX
Sunday, August 14, 2005 10:41 AM on j-body.org
Eh I think a lot of it is propoganda. Also talking about spending all of our fossil fuel, i think we should stop the cruise ships because I saw today that per one gallon of Diesel fuel they only get 6 inches of movement.....

1997 pontiac sunfire
2.2 OHV 2.4l coming soon
2.25 inch custom exhaust
WAI
RK Underdrive pulley
50 shot of NX
pacesetter header
Sunday, August 14, 2005 1:30 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha: The initial methane shock isn't as much as you'd think, and IIRC in preparation for the James Bay II project they did a mass de-forestation and clearing... I MAY be wrong, but it would stand to reason to do that, because trees tend to really muck up a turbine

Anyhow, a factory farm dumps at least as much methane per year of operation as a flood-plane does in the year or so it takes to drown out the plant life.

SunfireN20: That one gallon moves a 100,000 TON ship a full 6".

Also, you get much less from fuel when you're talking about marine use because the water is much more dense than the air.

Sunday, August 14, 2005 3:00 PM on j-body.org
Gam you should be old enough to remember this. I do have you a couple years so maybe not but let me just touch on it for a minute and see what you think. I can remember back in the late '70's being told by then President Carter that the worlds oil supply will be gone within 20 years at the most. Um I can stll find oil so I guess his experts were wrong. Also I remember hearing on the news for several years how the best scientific minds were sure we would be in the middle of a new ice age by now
covering all of Canada and most of the northern hemisphere. Um I see no ice outside.
How about you? What I'm getting at is that these were the " EXPERTS " back in the
'70's and they were Soooo far off they're estimates seem ubsurd by todays standards.
But back then they knew it all.

If you haven't figured out what what I was getting a I'll spell it out for you. NOONE knows whats going to happen even the " EXPERTS " so don't worry about something that first off you can't do anything about and secondly they have no way of knowing.

NONE OF THIS CAN BE PROVED OR DIS-PROVED 100% SO WHY WORRY ABOUT COULD HAVES AND MAYBES?

Sunday, August 14, 2005 3:17 PM on j-body.org
You've made my point... We don't have enough information to make an informed postulation.

What information is out there bears the taint of the groups paying for the research. Governments/Oil companies/environmental associations etc... none of them carry out double-blind research. The reason the FDA requires this is so you don't get another thalydimide problem...

We can't start thinking that everything is hunky-dorey, because it clearly isn't... we need to know more before we start out on the wrong course and "Do SOMETHING" when it might turn around and bite us in the collective ass.

Sunday, August 14, 2005 4:33 PM on j-body.org
were @!#$ anyway you look at it

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, August 14, 2005 8:29 PM on j-body.org
^^^^^

We arent going to run out of oil. They find new wells all the time. Plus we have Alaska wildlife reserve, we only need to destroy 10% of it and bang oil for years and years to come.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Monday, August 15, 2005 3:00 AM on j-body.org
My understanding is that the Alaska deposit could only supply the US for 5 years at the present rate of consumption.

Running out of oil is inevitable, the real question is when? Some say 40 or 50 years, so say longer. The fact is that sooner or later the little bit that's left will be too hard to get out of the ground. In that sence, we will never run out, we just won't be able to use it.

PAX
Monday, August 15, 2005 11:45 AM on j-body.org
while we could try, you have to ask is it worth it.

if we as a specie are meant to be phased out, why fight it?

The only thing we can hope to do is not create a massive extintion...consider:

If we take the temperature cycles of earth and figure that global warming is natural, we sure aren't helping, true enough, but with all of our modern inventions, like a/c and the like, we are contributing even more. it will eventually go to the point that we cannot survive WITHOUT man-made "protection." we become over-specialized...then what?

Dinosaurs all over again, baby. anything that disrups the system causes a mass extinction.

The way we're trying to fight it is what has me concerned. I'm thinking the best we can do is not separate ourselves too much from nature (because we can't fully separate ourselves from nature), don't become over-sepcialized and too fragile/weak, and hope that if our specie is on the decline, that enough survive to evolve to something else...be it the Elioi (sp?) and the Morlocks or whatever.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, August 16, 2005 2:00 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

My understanding is that the Alaska deposit could only supply the US for 5 years at the present rate of consumption.

I thought it was less than that even, and I dont think it would lower prices either. Just keep them where they are at.

Still we should start a petition............Stop the Cruise ships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

1997 pontiac sunfire
2.2 OHV 2.4l coming soon
2.25 inch custom exhaust
WAI
RK Underdrive pulley
50 shot of NX
pacesetter header
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 2:21 AM on j-body.org
BIODOMES FOR EVERYONE!

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:40 AM on j-body.org
Where's Buckminster Fuller when you need him?

PAX
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:48 AM on j-body.org
Who?

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 3:05 PM on j-body.org
Sunfiren2o: Anwr reserve is projected to have about 5 year's worth of uninterrupted oil, however, your fuel price will more than likely hold steady not go down, if the deposit is used.

The US will still need to import massive amounts of oil from Russia, Canada, Venezuela and Nigeria to keep up with demand. If any of them pull out and stop selling to the USA, you're pretty much F***ed.

Friday, August 19, 2005 7:05 AM on j-body.org
Buckminster Fuller was a cool guy with big ideas. Most famous for his "Fuller Brush Company" he also designed geodesic (spelling) domes, for everything from bunkers to homes.

PAX
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 3:11 PM on j-body.org

As you can see the slope of the temperature trend had been on a gradual downward trend until the 1930's then the warming began in earnest. This is also the time the Sun 'woke up.' The scalar weather program began during the 1970's at the reversal point that pushes temperature anomalies above the 0.0 line for good

Bunch of in this thread

one big chain of chaos that none of us is willign to see or do anything about, hopefully we will stop burning fossill fuels for 99% of our light / heat sometime within the next 100 years... @!#$.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 4:02 PM on j-body.org
...and notice that the error margins are right around where we are...

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 4:04 PM on j-body.org
Nick: I posted that currently, the science is far from double-blind (yes even university studies), and the information retrieved is very much suspect. Until the unbiased research is there, I wouldn't take any of it as gospel.

Until there is a serious reformation of the scientific process used to deduce these postulates, it's conjecture at best.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:53 AM on j-body.org
Nick@USOL.com wrote:For all those that do not beleive..

"New Scientist Reports on a remarkable runaway process of global warming that has been going on in Siberia for the past few years. 'Western Siberia has warmed faster than almost anywhere else on the planet, with an increase in average temperatures of some 3C in the last 40 years.' As a result, a million square kilometers (the area of France and Germany) of frozen peat bog have been found to be melting, according to Russian and international scientists. This releases methane, a potent greenhouse gas, which contributes to further global warming."

Things are getting bad, scientists from all over the world are recording drastic habitat changes over the last 24 months.

Time for everyone to let their lawn grow and stop driving their cars... could you imagine if the whole world did that, not that its feasable, but cmon, do you want to get your next paycheck, or do you want the world to be abel to still support human life in the next 30 years??

From what I have read, it appears to be about a 50/50 split on global warming. Not long ago, scientists were talking about global cooling. Science is always learning and changing what was once assumed to be hard facts. This is the same group of people that said the earth was flat too.

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
http://www.ahmperformance.com
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 6:53 AM on j-body.org
LOL... you think the earth is round!!! HAHAHAHAH!!!!

Okay.. This is why I've said until there is double blind tests, (meaning funding is not disclosed until after the results are published) There isn't any way I'm going to take a lot of the science at it's word, and until there is comprehensive testing regimens established, we can't take a skewed sampling as gospel.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 7:26 AM on j-body.org
ok for the peopel who dont understand it....

global WARMING can actualyl CAUSE an ice age....

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search