Global Warming - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Global Warming
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:49 AM on j-body.org
Personally, I couldn't give a crap about global warming.

There are two other important topics when it comes to pollution that I worry about more...

1) You can't tell me that taking dead dinosaurs out of ground and burning them is good for the Earth. That's retarded.

2) There are other immediate health effects to pollution. Here in Fresno, as well as LA, San Bernardino, Bakersfield etc, the air gets so bad it's like smoking a pack a day during the summer. Here are some facts, and there's no debating these..

Asthma Facts
Quote:

Asthma has risen over 75% worldwide over the last 10 years.

Over 15 million people in the United States are diagnosed with asthma, including almost 5 million children and estimated 2.3 million who are under five years of age.

Asthma is the most prevalent chronic disease among children, making it the third ranked cause of hospitalization among children under the age of fifteen.

Asthma is the leading cause of school absenteeism, accounting for 10 million lost school days, 12 million bed rest days, and 24 million restricted activity days per year.

Asthma treatment costs an estimated $6.4 billion annually in the United States.

In California, hospitalizations for asthma cost over $350 million each year.

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/11247823p-11998331c.html
Quote:

Polluted air — the type that hangs over the Valley in fall and winter — may be causing three times the number of premature deaths than were previously estimated.

The link between premature death and fine particulates is not new. The particle darts have been blamed for about 1,100 early deaths annually in the Valley.

But the latest study — which zeroed in on particulate levels in individual neighborhoods — showed the connection between air pollution and early death to be three times as large as that reported in past studies of cities in the United States, Jerrett said.

Now look at this picture of Beijing..can you find the city?!?

How about Mexico City?

Where do you think all this goes, anyhow? Magically sucked up by our deforested planet?

Then there are immediate effects on climate.... such as pollution blocking the rays of the sun over the Indian Ocean.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s436889.htm

Or how about turning the oceans acidic?

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/050701_acidfrm.htm

But hey, don't feel bad about polluting. Global Warming isn't real. There aren't other issues to think about...nahhhhh....

---

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:02 AM on j-body.org
You want proof of Global Warming well here it is.
Quote:

POINT BARROW, Alaska, Sept. 27, 2005 — This season has ushered in the warmest Arctic summer in 400 years. A NASA report to be released this week finds the polar ice pack has shrunk by nearly 30 percent since 1978, and new satellite photos show the melting is speeding up.

Scientists say the Arctic may be caught in a vicious cycle of global warming. As ice melts, there's less white matter to reflect the sun's heat back into space. The dark ocean absorbs more of the sun's heat and that, in turn, melts more of the ice pack.

ABC News traveled to the northern tip of America – Point Barrow, Alaska – to document the other dramatic effects of global warming.

During the summer, people who live in the region have a practice of storing whale meat in ice cellars dug into the permanently frozen ground. But when whale hunter Eugene Brower took an ABC News crew to see his, he was shocked by what he found.

"The skin and blubber should be frozen!" he said. "It's thawing out."

Typically in the Arctic, any ground deeper than about four feet has always been frozen. But the permafrost is now starting to melt.

At Point Barrow, the northernmost tip of the United States is melting as well.

"The bluff edge was out there by about 150 feet or so just 10 years ago," said scientist Ann Jensen.

Since melting permafrost leaves the ground soft and with far less frozen surface to block the waves, the water carves away at it. Old graves are tumbling into the sea.

"They keep getting exposed," said Jensen. "People don't really want to see their ancestors getting washed into the ocean."

People, Animals Forced to Relocate

Whole villages are tumbling into the ocean, forcing people to relocate — as well as many animals.

Black guillemots began nesting this far north 40 years ago, when temperatures started to rise.

Now scientists are watching the birds get driven out by puffins, warmer weather birds from the sub-Arctic, which kill the chicks and take over the nests.

"Yesterday, it's the Arctic, and now suddenly, it's turning into the sub-Arctic!" said biologist George Divoky.

As the sea ice disappears, many polar bears are starving because they must have sea ice on which to hunt.

And the culture of local residents, whose life has centered upon hunting on the ice, is changing as well.

"It's often too dangerous now, due to the thin ice," said Fred Simik, an Inupiat native.

Another cause for worry: scientists report that as the permafrost melts and this vast Arctic tundra dries up, decaying plants in the soil are releasing increased amounts of carbon – a greenhouse gas that only adds to the warming and melting.

"Humans are putting about 6 [billion] or 7 billion metric tons of carbon in the atmosphere every year," said biologist Walter Oechel, director of the Global Change Research Institute at San Diego State University. "And we're standing on 200 billion tons here," he added, pointing to the tundra.

Just how soon that carbon may get released is unclear. But those who live in the area have moved on from the debate about whether global warming is real. They're living with it.

ABC News' Bill Blakemore filed this report for "World News Tonight."

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:06 AM on j-body.org
Well, Pollution is a lot more readily studied, and the effects are less latent. Asia has a smog cloud that tends to sit around uban centers, and California has had drastically less Smog warning days since the introduction of the catalytic converter and EGR systems.

Anyhow.. I'm not sure about the acidic content of the ocean being more than a natural occurrance... If you read the very end of the article, they link the acidification of oceans with a marginal increase in CO2 levels world wide... A marginal increase in CO2, would mean more algae... but beyond that... I don't think the leap is qualified.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:16 AM on j-body.org
augustin

whenever i speak or think abotu global warming all those topics u speak of come to mind

they are ALLLL interrelated. so i group them all together.

if there are actually people that when they think of global warming only thing of the far future effects then..... well there very slow in the head.

the here and now effects of pollution which are very serious is also what is turning into the threats of global warming in the future.

also, it really doesnt matter which topic u choose to hoen in on. because no matter what u pick u yield the same result.

if im searching for a way to stop FUTURE global warming from happening i WILL have a POSSITIVE effect on the here and now of pollution.

and if i am searchign for a way to change the here and now pollution it WILL have a possitive effect on global warming the future.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:25 AM on j-body.org
^^ I know what you're saying. But all too often people dismiss the entire pollution debate by saying "There's no Global Warming". So I toss it out first so I can attack the obvious.

---

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:48 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:^^ I know what you're saying. But all too often people dismiss the entire pollution debate by saying "There's no Global Warming". So I toss it out first so I can attack the obvious.

anyone thats says there is no global warming, is just being blind, seriously,

i dont mind people debating on how SERIOUS it is, but its for SURE it IS happening.

dismissing global warming is like saying there is not a growing hole in the ozone layer.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 11:09 AM on j-body.org
Actually, there are 15 major and about 60 minor perforations in the Ozone layer...

I'm not saying there isn't Global Warming... I'm saying we don't have enough blind information to form a solid postulate. Until we have enough information though, it is prudent to conserve, and minimize our effect on the environment until such time as we can comprehend the ramifications of what we've been doing and what can be done to further minimize or reverse our impact.

Change is inevitable, and humans have a hand in it, how much is up to us.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:19 PM on j-body.org
there has been plenty of studies showing what happens when green house gases are trapped in an environment.

and those studies can be directly applied to our world environment.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 2:56 PM on j-body.org
As a microcosm. You can't apply what happens in a laboratory on a continental scale. There is no way to mimic the complexity of the actual earth processes and have anything approaching a true model.

If with the computers we have now, we can't figure out what the hell a nuclear reactor going into core melt-down has done, is doing and will do in the last 10 years, and into the next 20, how the hell are we going to accurately depict what would happen given 200 years of industrialisation?

Nathaniel, I see what you're saying, but we're not even close to being sophisticated enough to make an accurate judgment on what is going on in our atmosphere, and what effect we're having on it for the long term. I'm not saying there isn't global warming, not at all, but I'm not saying that there necessarily IS global warming. There are way too many factors interfering with getting an accurate read on things. The biggest thing that you'll see is airport temps cited as the main data for these studies, however, these studies do not take into account the "heat island" effect on the readings. Also given that there is no real network of temperature sensors around the globe (the closest thing we have is a satellite imager, but that is only useful when there is no cloud-cover), there isn't any way to accurately and wholistically read the earth's mean temperature.

The science just isn't behind it yet. Polution, sure, we know it's bad, we know the effects, and we need to arrest it as much as possible, but until the technology for clean energy becomes available world wide at an affordable price, developing nations (of which there are about 120, as opposed to the industrial revolution which had about 12-15) are going to use whatever is expedient.

The idea that we have to halt global warming is noble, but I highly doubt there will be any way for us to stop it tomorrow and have things just stagnate.

I'm going to say it one more time: Michael Crichton - State of Fear should be required reading (even though it is fiction), the major flaws in the scientific studies that are coming out of major NGO's and privately funded studies from major universities are exposed in general terms.

If you dig deep enough, you'll find that every study the Sierra Club, Greenpeace, and numerous other environmental NGO/charity organisation funds tends to overwhelmingly support their position regarding the environment, and conversely, coal/oil interest funded studies point to another conclusion altogether. This was the same problem in the pharmaceutical industry about 50 years ago, and they put a stop to it by doing double-blind tests (ie, patients don't know if they're getting the drug or placebo, and the researchers are paid by the FDA, but it is not disclosed which drug company it is whose product they are evaluating).

Until there is unbiased evidence, I don't take what is being said to heart easily. I still conserve, I still am cautious about how I expend energy... but I don't try to curtail all usage completely. Moderation is the key.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:35 PM on j-body.org
you couldn't even get unbiased evidence if you tried...

How can we possibly compre there here-and-now to the past in a dynamic, and often chaotic system like the earth's?

While you'd be foolish to say there's not been some effect, how do we know that what's going on now is a natural cycle of warming? What basis do we have strrong evidence to compare thing on, since all of our readings come from AFTER the industrial revolution? Plus, anything before that was empirical and the methods imprecice.

Besdies, it helps to remember what George Carlin said...The planet is fine...the people are @!#$.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaði, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 10:17 AM on j-body.org
If there's any consensus, it's that either side of the argument can find 'data' and 'studies' that support their side. But it's typically, simultaneously arrogant and ignorant of mankind to ever assume we have even more than a small fraction of the knowledge truly required to make such sweeping statements.

It's not unlike those who completely dismiss the idea of a supreme being...how can we, as a species, at this early point in our development, simply rule it out? I like the quote from the woman who Jodie Foster played in 'Contact', who was a pivotal person in SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence).."The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

The mere fact that the earth cycled through climate changes before now is all the reason I need to take any perceptions of man-made Global Warming with a grain of salt. Our descendants (shoud they exist) some 50,000 year hence may have the empirical data to support such a hypothesis. We simply do not have sufficient information to do anything but guess at it right now.

Undoubtedly, pollutants worsen life on this planet. What many fail to acknowledge is that the causes of such pollutants also greatly improve life in many ways.

Will a balance be found between hysteria and apathy regarding these issues? I sure hope so, but I am an eternal optimist for Mankind. I'd hate for us to be the reason that Earth finally kills us off for being rash. Yet, what could be more natural than that? Already Mother Nature practices population control in coastal areas and Africa. Our biggest problem may well not be pollution, but its root cause...simple overpopulation. To underestimate this planet's awesome capability to control what's on its surface is to dismiss it as a rock moving through space. It's so much more than that!

The Earth will win. The Earth will survive. When we realize that we can never change that, we will move forward. Right now, we spend too much valuable energy arguing and procreating.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 10:49 AM on j-body.org
^^ Well put.

I think it's going to be along time before we can accurately gauge what's happening in our own atmosphere, and for now, the fact there's a he said/she said argument going on isn't helping.

Until we can actually get bias out and put the keel in the water to find out what the hell is in fact going on, we're just flailing around in the wind.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 4:36 PM on j-body.org
i agree, yet i dont

while there isnt PROOF the pullution by us CAUSED all the warming we experience now.

it is FACT that the pollutants created by our automobiles and industry have %100 capbility depending on the severity to CAUSE WARMING.

that is all the info i need to know that we should contribute the LEAST amount as possible to something we KNOW has the possibility. wether it is the CAUSE or even a factor to it worsening. doesnt really matter to an extent. it has the capability and thats all i need to know to understand we should freely release it into our environment.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 5:00 PM on j-body.org
Nathaniel: read my bit about minimising our foot print.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:34 AM on j-body.org
I thought this was done. The earth goes thru warming and cooling cycles all the so called experts agree on that so how then do they know that this isn't just a normal warming phase? they don't / can't but all the chicken littles are screaming the sky is falling and some of you are buying into it hook line and sinker.

BTW even if it is caused by us 100% theres nothing we can do about it as most of the world doesn't care enough.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 2:13 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:I thought this was done. The earth goes thru warming and cooling cycles all the so called experts agree on that so how then do they know that this isn't just a normal warming phase? they don't / can't but all the chicken littles are screaming the sky is falling and some of you are buying into it hook line and sinker.

BTW even if it is caused by us 100% theres nothing we can do about it as most of the world doesn't care enough.

correct the earth has its phases. so it is very possible it has nothing to do with us. however considering the pollution created by our autos and industry have been proven to have the capbility to do exactly what we are seeing going on now. we just dont know if the amount we have introduced into the environment is the same amount that would cause the current warming trends.

but like i have said before. it really doesnt matter much wether it is or isnt. our pollution IS contributing... how much no one really knows... but it IS contributing. and thats all i need to know to want to minimize our contribution.

just because large parts of the world dont care about it doesnt mean nothign can be done. those people just have to reach a point where they realize doing nothing is no longer a viable option.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 3:47 PM on j-body.org
/\ /\ /\ This lovely dream brought to you by Nat. ( J K ) I can't believe that the polution is worse now then say 100 years ago or even 50 years ago. I don't have a crystal ball and I'm betting none of the "experts" do either so believe whatever you like to but........
OH NO LOOK OUT THE SKY ITS FALLING RUN FOR YOUR LIVES !!!!!!!

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 5:21 PM on j-body.org
Jack: Would you not say though, that it's a good idea to limit what we do to the environment until we get more of a handleon what's happening?

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 5:33 PM on j-body.org
Gam you are 100% correct I do what I can I recycle and bought a car that gets better mileage then my old Firebird did. But I'm just one little old person and I see too many big ass suv's out there sucking the pump dry and not nearly enough recycleing bins on trash day. So like I said theres nothing I can do about it more then I already am. Sooo........

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:07 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:/\ /\ /\ This lovely dream brought to you by Nat. ( J K ) I can't believe that the polution is worse now then say 100 years ago or even 50 years ago. I don't have a crystal ball and I'm betting none of the "experts" do either so believe whatever you like to but........
OH NO LOOK OUT THE SKY ITS FALLING RUN FOR YOUR LIVES !!!!!!!

are u really sayign u think pollution is the same now as 100 years ago? or did i misread.

cuz u can look at the pics posted in either this thread or another one with smog cloud over part of china

or the fact we KNOW smog CAUSES the higher % of asmha in todays youth

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:24 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:Gam you are 100% correct I do what I can I recycle and bought a car that gets better mileage then my old Firebird did. But I'm just one little old person and I see too many big ass suv's out there sucking the pump dry and not nearly enough recycleing bins on trash day. So like I said theres nothing I can do about it more then I already am. Sooo........

Well, Drive as little as you need to...

If everyone does a little, it'll amount to a LOT more. Imagine if the US had a [URL=http://www.climatechange.gc.ca/onetonne/english/index.asp?pid=50]One Tonne Challenge[URL]? With actual rewards/tax incentives?

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:19 PM on j-body.org
Pollution - definitely a big problem. Scientists really don't know/agree/understand the environment well enough to quantify the human influence on natural warming and cooling cycles. Anyone that says he/she does is an outright fraud - we just don't know.
Increased CO2 levels may not make enough difference to cause much change things. For all we know, increasing CO2 levels could be part of a completely natural cycle. Heck, in the Cretaceous (~100 to 65 million years ago for those who never took a geology course), CO2 levels were 20 TIMES HIGHER THAN TODAY! Completely natural, and we didn't end up like Mars (yet...if the U.S. can get rid of Bush, then maybe the Earth has a chance of keeping it's nice green tinge...). The media likes to use the CO2 argument to glorify the 'global warming' argument, but the fact of the matter is CO2 is a very weak greenhouse gas. Good old H2O vapour is the dominant greenhouse gas in our atmosphere, yet the media never mentions that when it comes down to it. When Pinatubo blew its top 15 years ago, everyone blamed the ash and CO2 it released on the weird weather patterns over the next year or two. Funny thing was that Pinatubo also blew out an enormous amount of water vapour, which affected the climate an order of magnitude more than anything else. The media needed a villain, and I guess water was too "nice" to fit the bill.
As for glacial retreat, most climatologists/geologists will agree that we are currently in an inter-glacial period (the Pleistocene glaciation that "ended" 10000 years ago likely isn't through with us yet). Specifically, evidence seems to point to the likelihood that we are still in the warming trend of an inter-glacial. If that's truly the case, then it seems pretty reasonable to find that glaciers are retreating. We just don't have enough information yet to say anything definitively. Pretty good evidence is there, though.

The moral is, don't listen to everything the media feeds you. Take it all with a grain of salt, because they really don't have the first clue about what they're talking about. They also never seem to interview scientists who argue against human-caused global warming, so you only ever see one side of the debate. If scientists studying global warming can't agree on how much impact (if any) humans are having on natural warming/cooling trends, then how can the media say anything with certainty?
Thursday, October 06, 2005 12:22 AM on j-body.org
i dont think anyone in this thread has said or claimed that all of the warming is being causes by human factors.

i wouldnt get my info (as im sure many of you as well) about environmental issues from the mass media. u have to read and study and udnerstand the funding and outcomes of scientific data. and make ur own interpretations.

i cant imagine much of anyone getting their science facts from the news

Thursday, October 06, 2005 8:02 AM on j-body.org
Nathaniel wrote:i dont think anyone in this thread has said or claimed that all of the warming is being causes by human factors.

i wouldnt get my info (as im sure many of you as well) about environmental issues from the mass media. u have to read and study and udnerstand the funding and outcomes of scientific data. and make ur own interpretations.

i cant imagine much of anyone getting their science facts from the news

Nathaniel,
If you don't believe that, then you probably should reread the entire first page, then, as well as the 2nd post on this (third) page (amongst MANY others). Other than you and Gam, EVERYONE on this thread has been linking (directly and indirectly) human factors to global warming. You yourself just said that "our pollution IS contributing... how much no one really knows... but it IS contributing".
You've also just said "while there isnt PROOF the pullution by us CAUSED all the warming we experience now.

it is FACT that the pollutants created by our automobiles and industry have %100 capbility depending on the severity to CAUSE WARMING." Granted, "contributing" and "causing" aren't the same, it is not hard to see the link you're hinting at.

We really don't have enough evidence or knowledge to say anything regarding the role of humanity in global warming. We're definitely poisoning our environment with our pollution, but we don't have enough information to say anything, either way, about its effect on global warming trends. It might be that we need to increase CO2/methane etc input by 1000% to warm the earth by 0.1 degree, maybe the british industrial revolution itself triggered everything, or maybe our impact is negligible. It's gonna take 5-10 years for good science to find some answers.

I'm very confused with your statement regarding understanding FUNDING - could you enlighten me as to why that makes much of a difference? I've seen absolutely brilliant work done by scientists with very little to no funding, and crap done by highly funded research stations and profs at elite universities. In the scientific world, obtaining funding is generally based on competition - the best scientists typically get the most funding. Politics can definitely sway this (as does the glamour of the research topic), but that shouldn't really matter seeing as scientific findings are always (and continually) scrutinized by the scientist's peers (that's the whole purpose of reviewers and editors with scientific journals, scientific conferences, symposiums etc). Even biased work done by a republican-appointed/funded group (given all the money they need) can (and will) get torn to shreds if it isn't sound. That's where the problems with the media come in - they just have to interview 1-2 quacks to come up with a great "earth's gonna end" story. If I was their editor/producer, I'd send them to global warming conferences so they can hear all sides of the argument, rather than jump directly onto the "car exhaust is melting the glaciers" wagon.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 8:50 AM on j-body.org
the pollution from our autos and industry like i said has %100 capability to cause a global warming trend. but we do not know wether the amount we are introducing into the environment is enough to be causing our current warming trend.

ive said it MULTIPLE times. i am not sure what part you are confused at what i am saying...

as for funding... u TOTALLY misunderstood the word funding.

i am talking about WHO funds the reseach data u could be looking at. if u do not know WHO funded the research u basically have to throw away the results from your mind. since it could be a TOTALLY biased set of bad science data. and fact is ALOT of the science out there is BAD SCIENCE. meaningpurposely finding an answer that is WANTED by their founding bodies.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search