computers.... - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
computers....
Thursday, August 18, 2005 10:13 AM on j-body.org
the best or worst thing to happen to cars?
my stepdad and i were debating it. he says that sensors going bad and puttin the car in limp mode and other @!#$ like that makes them a terrible thing in cars....i aggree a little but say that except for a sensor going bad what else makes a comp bad for a car.
what's your view?

Re: computers....
Thursday, August 18, 2005 10:30 AM on j-body.org
either/or.

computers can have a car tuned as perfect as an otto/miller/wankel/diesel-cycle internal combustion engine can get--and get the most out of them--at the cost of the sensors and the work/expense of keeping them in shape...

While no computers makes them easy as hell to work on and tune in comparison, mechanicals can't be as precise as electionics (unless it's in the realm of nanomechanics, which is expensive as hell), and thus, efficiency is not as good.

it's pretty much choose your poison.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, August 18, 2005 10:30 AM on j-body.org
I'm going to say positive. It might cause some trouble, but the benifite you recieve from it far outweights it.
At least that's what i'm assuming, because they still put them in cars...

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Thursday, August 18, 2005 10:32 AM on j-body.org
with computers we can have FI and better gas milage
we can have obd2 - not that its usually useful lol
ionno i think its better to have them in the cars than not

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/618295
Thursday, August 18, 2005 10:57 AM on j-body.org
Id rather have it, and gain the fuel efficiency and tuning than not have them and have to much around with Carb jets...

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, August 18, 2005 1:04 PM on j-body.org
For a daily driver i rather have it. For a weekend cruiser, i rather not have it at all. I think tuning cars without computers is a lot more fun. Everything you do has direct feedback. Unlike when you add bolt on to a computer-ed car, it takes a little while to get the full benefit of the bolt ons.

computer better gas mileage and better for the environment.
no computers, i believe are funner, but worst for the environment.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:30 PM on j-body.org
yea...jetting your carb to account for the weather is...um...fun....uhhh yea....no....i'll stick with my obd2..

Friday, August 19, 2005 6:48 AM on j-body.org
I feel that tuning is made easier by computers as well..

The real benefit is the ability to tune for variable conditions and throughout the power curve. This makes better milage and more power. The other positive is that minor changes in engine behaviour can be identified before they become big problems.

Computers are a benefit.. Think about my bike engine.. 15K RPM redline, valves that open and close so fast the fuel cannot atomize in time if the fuel is injected in the runner (per usual), so my 4 cyl engine has 8 injectors, 4 in the airbox that only come on at rpms above 11000.. A carberated bike would have to have long stacks on the carbs and then the low end would suffer. My engine has two overlapping management systems making it possible to deliver over 117BHP with a 599cc engine. Good luck doing that without an ECU.

PAX
Friday, August 19, 2005 8:07 AM on j-body.org
OBD3 - the Black Box BS = Good Times.

LS1Tech | F-Body.com | Eastern F-Body Association | Toronto F-Body Club
Friday, August 19, 2005 9:48 AM on j-body.org
Try starting a carbed vehicle on a -25 degree day...

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, August 19, 2005 9:52 AM on j-body.org
^^^isnt that what lighter fluid is for???

j/k

Friday, August 19, 2005 9:58 AM on j-body.org
Roofy Been there, done it. No Biggie so long as you got a good battery. I can go either way with the computer in the car. Cars without were only less polluting if the owner kept it tuned real well. With computers in todays cars, more is done by the computer and lazy people can just get in and drive and not have to worry too much about tune ups as often.

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Saturday, August 20, 2005 10:03 AM on j-body.org
yea my dad says the same thing, its only because he doesnt understand growing up in the carbed muscle car era, those ppl have no concept of tech or gas mileage, thier non willingness to accept tech is the problem in government and in the auto industry, old ppl need to quit being the ones making the rules

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, August 20, 2005 11:00 AM on j-body.org
id say better. they help maxamize fuel economy, etc, plus you just hook up one of those 300dollar gizmos and diagnose problems superFAST.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search