time travel - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
time travel
Monday, August 22, 2005 8:28 PM on j-body.org
Does anyone believe this is possible? I think that in theory it sort of is but in reality its not. It would be really interesting though.

And if time travel was possible, what would you change in history? or go to witness?
me I would...
-stop the hijackers on sept 11, kill them somehow
-see the birth of Christ
-go back to the day that I was born
-go to the titanic
-make myself rich like on back to the future with the almanac.. hahahah

Re: time travel
Monday, August 22, 2005 8:37 PM on j-body.org
You would also.....@!#$ up the future if you tried that. If time travel were possible, which I believe, in a sense, it is, then people would go and change @!#$ around to suit their needs, without regard to the implications on anyone else.

Monday, August 22, 2005 8:40 PM on j-body.org
true man, that would probably happen, if remember off the simpsons, grandpa simpson gave homer some advice on his wedding day, if you have ever time travel don't touch anything.
Monday, August 22, 2005 9:43 PM on j-body.org
Remember in Back to the Future when Marty went to the past and his mom started liking him? He started changing the future and his family was disappearing from the picture slowly....sadly that's what will happen. Also, it will get into the wrong hands (mainly the government) and they'll try to fix something in the past like make sure Watergate never happend and JFK wasn't in a convertable, stuff like that.

If I could go back in the past, I would change 2 things, I would have broken up with my ex girlfriend sooner and never punched my throttle and get caught doing 93 in a 65 (even though I really was doing about 100).

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 5:08 AM on j-body.org
Check into the history surronding Adulf Hitler a little more and you will find that when he was only a baby a man broke into the house and tried to kill him. He claimed to be from the future and that this baby would be responcible for the deaths of millions of people. He failed Hiter never was murdered as a baby and grew up to kill millions of people. As for the time traveler from the future he was locked away in a mental hospital
and was never heard from again.

Who knows if it could ever be done.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 5:22 AM on j-body.org
A while back we had a drunken debate about this. From a phyics point of view, time travel is only possible if you go into the future. Impossible to go into the past. Or something like that.

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 5:31 AM on j-body.org
One of the big problems is location.. Let's say you want to go back 100 years.. OK now where in the universe was Earth 100 years ago.. Not here, that's for sure. Every celestial body is in motion and you'd have to figure out not just when to put yourself, but where.. Not here on the surphace, but the actual point in space.. That could be tricky.

PAX
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 5:42 AM on j-body.org
Yeah that would be a bitch to travel back 200 years and pop back into open space.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 7:20 AM on j-body.org
First off to travel through time it would take enormous amount of energy such as the only source would be a black hole, a very LARGE one. Now it would have to be "captured" and then stabilized so as to use the energy to our uses, I.E. Time travel
This can be explained here.

Now being able to "CATCH" a black hole is highly unlikely and we as a race are Many many years from ever having the technology to be able to do so.

Even if you were able to catch the power of the black hole you would have to be able to harness the energy to propel yourself at light speed. Which as einsteins theory of relativity says that as you approach the speed of light time slows down and once you reach it time stops completely. Now this is where time travel gets tricky when time stops you cant travel through it, duh cause its not going anywhere. You would have to be able to develop a machine to travel trans light speeds and plow through that barrier, in other words creating a 'Quantum tunnel' Then you should be able to travel through time but as stated we are years away from that technology.

Now for one to be able to cover the distance in space-time, as einstein says that space=time and time=space one traveling at the speed of light would seem like distance does not exist in space when infact it does. This can be explained here.

As you can see time travel is possible but it would take thousands of years for us to develop the technology required to time travel. Once it IS possible we would have to worry about paradoxes but that is another discussion entirely.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 7:50 AM on j-body.org
Wow.....my I.Q. just dropped many points. I enjoy reading this knowledge from you guys....very interesting!
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 7:57 AM on j-body.org
I believe the dimension of time follows the same rules as the "spacial" dimensions in regard to:

-You can only be in 1 location at a time
-To get from one location to another, you have to traverse all points between the 2 locations.

If you apply these things to the time "dimension" you'll see that;

-You can only exist in 1 place in time at a time (did that make sense?)
-In order to get from one time to another, you have to go through all points in time between them (forward or back).

If you're talking about going back in time and traversing all points between then it would seem as if time were flowing backward for everyone involved. Meaning your memory of the "future" would be erased as you went back through time. Only as an outside observer (which isn't possible) would you be able to see backward time travel for what it is.

Just my thoughts.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 8:12 AM on j-body.org
^^^In that sense it would seem that time would be rolling backward for the traveller as well. If that is the case I could see how it would erase your memory in which case things happen that didnt happen since time is going backwards. Meaning you grow younger and you can only travel back as far as you were born, but in that sense the time in which you traveled therefore could not exist such as you could not travel and never did, thus a paradox. Time exists and doesnt exist on two seperate plains. One which was created and not created all at the same time.

Or so the way you explained it.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 8:35 AM on j-body.org
Time exists regardless of the observer, both in the foward and reverse direction. The foward direction you would have no knowlege of even though it exists. The reverse direction you would have no knowlege of except what you are told by people who were there or could see evidence of.

Who is to say that people aren't traveling backward all the time. You would only have knowlege of the time that exists for your present position. For that matter, maybe you exist on all points on the timeline.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 9:50 AM on j-body.org
Labotomi wrote:You can only exist in 1 place in time at a time (did that make sense?)

Labotomi wrote:For that matter, maybe you exist on all points on the timeline.

Maybe time is altered like that in Stephen King's 'The Langoliers' Maybe when the past turns into present it just ceases to exist and that the future is only the present moving forward. In that sense there is only ONE time and only ONE place. The rest of it is nothing and there can be NO time travelling cause other times do not exist.

The only way a being could travel back in time and exist within that time is if it split the timeline and created a paradox. A new timeline because only ONE of you can exist at one time. But then how could you have travelled back if your past self simply cease to exist because there is only ONE of you. You created a paradox one where you exist only as a future self and one where you exist only as your past self, yet they are all one timeline somehow.

My this is getting confusing.

I dont understand how you could make your first statement and then contradict it with your second. Unless your hypothesizing.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 9:52 AM on j-body.org
From where I stand...

hahaha and lobotomi hit it close...

Keeping in mind i see the shape of time like a hypersphere, meaning that the time we inhabit is a single thread within the hypersphere starting and ending in a direction independent form all others, it make the prospect of time travel even more complicated---while it could be said that by going back and changing something, like in Back to the Future, will alter the course of history, it may not--since it could be theorized that everything that can happen does happen--we just only percieved things that happen close enough to the thread of our existance.

Thus meaning that not only would we have to know a 5-dimensional coordinate for a given point in time within the constraints of the universe (keeping in mind that you'd have to be accurate to a micron), but also, the same mass would have to be displaced into the place where you were--not necessarily you, but something that has the same mass as both you, and your machine.

Then, if you change something, the further back you go, in yoctoseconds (1x10^-24 seconds), the less likely the intended change will actually happen, since the thread of perception changes in the past, meaning all of the descsions that impact the thread of your perception change, and then who knows how things will be.

Further, even though we may have the technology someday to do it, the question is--should we?

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 10:18 AM on j-body.org
Jbody2nr wrote:
Labotomi wrote:You can only exist in 1 place in time at a time (did that make sense?)

Labotomi wrote:For that matter, maybe you exist on all points on the timeline.

I dont understand how you could make your first statement and then contradict it with your second. Unless your hypothesizing.

I think that's all anyone is doing.

If you exist on all points on the timeline then it would present other problems with my theory that time and the physical dimensions follow the same rules. Specifically, it would mean that you also exist at all points on the other spacial dimensions. Maybe perception is the key here.

I don't have answers, just thoughts.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 10:21 AM on j-body.org
All you need is a DeLoren and a Flux Capisitor and your good to go.

I'm not so sure your memory would be erased because while your traveling thru time you exist out of time itself thats how your able to travel at all. Now if you could remove yourself from time and travel thu it why would this effect your memory? And if it did then why wouldn't also effect your age as well? Time travel is fun to read about and watch in the movies but I doubt we'll ever be able to #1 harness enough energy to be able to move thru time or #2 have the knowledge of how to do it at all. Phisics aside it would
all but imposible to even begin to figure something like this out.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 11:24 AM on j-body.org
www.johntitor.com

'nuff said.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 11:37 AM on j-body.org
KevinP (The IOU One IDB) wrote:www.johntitor.com

'nuff said.
I mentioned John Titor and explained it to a friend I work with just to screw with him and the next week he shows me where he's researched fallout patterns across the US, the best and cheapest ways to construct survival shelters. He even put in a bit on Ebay for a radiac (one of the old kind an-pdr 27 or somthing like that). I was just joking and he took it way too seriously. I hope he doesn't give himself a stroke or anything.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 11:45 AM on j-body.org
The Langoliers was an awesome movie. And honestly i feel that thats how the past would be if we could travel back in time. I mean If you could reverse time, which means everyone would back with you that would be one thing, but just traveling back in time..I dont know. I think we are capable of great things and ya never know what is gunna happen. But i just dont think that the past is gunna be there...

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 11:52 AM on j-body.org
has anyone ever heard of the philadelphia project?

apparently the US gov't has the technology to time travel, they accidently invented it when they were trying to cloak a ship.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/pages/philadelphia.html

I think this is just bs though.

For the guy who posted that adolf hitler was almost killed by a guy from the future when he was a baby, I couldn't find anything about it.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 12:09 PM on j-body.org
The problem with that project was the fact that you cant use a giant electro magnet to bend light. So far as I know we still only have the technology to reflect and refract light. Which are really really simple. From what I know it would take a gravitational field to 'BEND' light similar to that of a planet. The stronger the pull the better. That can be explained

here.

Again it goes to assume that light exists solely as particles and not photons but then again light has been known to exhibit both characteristics.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 12:21 PM on j-body.org
KOTL wrote:Keeping in mind i see the shape of time like a hypersphere, meaning that the time we inhabit is a single thread within the hypersphere starting and ending in a direction independent form all others, it make the prospect of time travel even more complicated---while it could be said that by going back and changing something, like in Back to the Future, will alter the course of history, it may not--since it could be theorized that everything that can happen does happen--we just only percieved things that happen close enough to the thread of our existance.

That goes back to my saying of creating a paradox or already being in one.
What I mean is

taken from www.scifiscience.co wrote:The commonest objections to time travel are the so-called paradoxes. For example, if we could travel through time, imagine what would happen to a time traveller if he (or she) travelled back in time and killed their own grandmother at birth. In theory the time traveller will therefore never be born, so the journey could never have been made in the first place; but if the journey never occurred then the grandmother would be born which means the time traveller would have been born and could make the journey ... and so on and so on. This is a paradox.

Quote:

There are two possibilities to resolve this paradox. The first is that the past is totally defined, i.e. everything that has happened or must happen, including the time traveller’s attempt to kill his grandmother, cannot be altered and so nothing will change the course of history. In other words, the time traveller will experience endless "mishaps" in trying to kill their grandmother and will never achieve the murder, thus keeping time (or at least events) intact.

Quote:

The second possibility is more complex and involves the quantum rules which govern the subatomic level of the universe. Put simply, when the time traveller kills their grandmother they immediately create a new quantum universe, in essence a parallel universe where the young grandmother never existed and where the time traveller is never born. The original universe still remains. Stephen hawking believes he can explain the origin of our universe as a variation of this parallel worlds theme.

SO.....what happens will and if it dont timelines will split creating parallel universes mirroring our own.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 12:38 PM on j-body.org
not necessarily.

along the theory that everything that can happen in this universe does happen, it just means that almong your host timeline, you're vanquished out of existance. In other points in time, however, you ontinue to exist, and you could never really go back to your "home" reality. it basically means you're stuck where you are, or, you'll have to further displace something, or someone else into the current timespace and move to a futher timepoint--which begs the question of "why bother?"

An explanation on the way this works is simple--there would be realities where you would go back and kill your grandmother. but there would also be realities where you wouldn't. it's a simple matter of displacing equal mass from one timepoint to another in order to do so, and if you did, you'd cease to exist in that timepoint--whatever was displaced ceases to exist in your new timepoint and you exist there. As such, if you go and kill your grandmother, she would exist in other points in time, but not your cyurrent one, and thus, your connection with your previous reality is totally severed, and thus alters the main thread of time which you know--and without a "map" of sorts, you couldn't know where you were going--and if you went back, it would be as you never left.

The issue is that most people look at time and time travel as linear--it's not--it's hypersherical, and we only perccieve it as linear--like a dark highway at night. We know where we've been, where we are, and a bit of our surroundings. Every crossroads or fork in the road we don't take still exists, but we just don't take it.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:55 PM on j-body.org
if time travel was possible and you went back in time, it would be like that movie called "The Butterfly Effect" with Ashton Kutcher where things would be different if you happened to change 1 thing

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search