Capital Punishment. - Page 7 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Capital Punishment.
Friday, August 19, 2005 7:09 AM on j-body.org
The final changes to the Magna Carta (Great (or greater) Charter, as it was called) were made in 1225 AD, the first of 3 revisions was issued in 1217 AD. I think that makes it much older than anything on this side of the pond.. Although the Irroquois (six nations) are said to have had a constitution, and a few other legal "documents" that may be older, they never wrote them down and so the time line is hard to place.

PAX

Sunday, August 21, 2005 1:18 AM on j-body.org
but does it need to be written to be legit?

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Sunday, August 21, 2005 7:34 AM on j-body.org
Not really.. it needs to be followed though, definitely.

I think that once a community moves beyond survivalism and into "civility" or into an agrarian base, they need to have that kind of stuff written down. Things like that tend to mutate over time.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, August 21, 2005 8:07 AM on j-body.org
There have been efforts to record the Six Nation constitution. I have read parts of it, and it's quite remarkable really. Brutal but in a way fair. You'd have to read it to see what I mean.

At any rate, I wasn't commenting on it's legitimacy only on its existance. It's legitimacy would have to come through the people enforcing it and the reaction of the people who lived under its rule. I cannot comment on that.

At any rate, it's very old, nobody is quite sure just how old, but at the very least it pre-dates western invation.

PAX
Monday, August 22, 2005 11:34 AM on j-body.org
Right. my point was a cross-point on those that claim that Iraq was the fist time america invaded anyone (they seem to forget the whole manifest destiny thing).

Just because it isn't written, doesn't make it not so or invalidated the meaning/event. After all, you never really know who scribed whatever is written, and what spin they put on it.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 5:12 AM on j-body.org
Wasn't the "Spanish-American War" the first time "America" invaded anyone? That would be quite early in US history anyway... The "American-Indian War" was an invation started by the Brits, but I guess the US finished it.

You don't need a good memory to remember Granada.

PAX
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 5:44 AM on j-body.org
We invaded this country didn't we?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 8:06 AM on j-body.org
Well, not really.. The Brittish, French and Spanish did.. Then your ancestors revolted and continued to move westward.. That's why I said the Brits started it and the US finished it.. I would have to say that the American invasion of Mexico, south Texas and New Mexico would be the first US "Invasion" I don't know much about the Spanish-American war being from Canada, buit I know it happened and the Spanish were invaded and kicked out.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search