calling it a sandwich vs. calling it a burger - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: calling it a sandwich vs. calling it a burger
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 3:29 PM on j-body.org
sammiches rule

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 4:32 PM on j-body.org
I call it an effin hamburger.

If anybody says it's a "sandwich" ill tell em to STFU and punch em in the face.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:52 PM on j-body.org
Hamburger is the meat filling of a sandwich.

Hamburgers used to be sold as is, no bread, you could put a bit of mustard or saurkraut or ketchup on it, but then again, this was in the 1800's.

Sandwiches OTOH are long known fare and have always had 2 or more slices of bread with either meat (traditionally roast beef) or vegetable filling.

It's a hamburger. You flunk history Mike. Sorry

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:06 PM on j-body.org
haha
i swear everyone i know calls a sandwich anything with bread and meat, other than a hamburger

although it should be called beefburger unless its mcdonalds then its soyburger

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/618295
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:19 PM on j-body.org
Anything with 2 slices of bread and a meat filler IS a sandwich:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sandwich

Pay attention: it was created officially by John Montague, the Earl of Sandwich. (which is a county of England. )
http://www.open-sandwich.co.uk/ <-- If you don't believe me.

http://www.earlofsandwich.co.uk/ <-- if you still have doubt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Montagu,_4th_Earl_of_Sandwich IF you STILL doot a Canuck.

wikipedia wrote:He is also credited with the invention of the sandwich, the name obviously derived from his title. It was long said that he invented the food to sustain himself while gambling without having to eat a full meal, but his biographer Rodger points out that the sole source of this rumour was gossip mentioned in a travel book by Grosley, and that at the period in question (1765) he was known to be very busy, and it is just as likely that it was for the purpose of eating at his desk. As well sandwiches can be presumed to have been eaten long before this. For instance in the Passover meal Jews make a sandwich of two pieces of unleavened bread and bitter herbs.

Have I killed the point yet?

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:40 PM on j-body.org
bah, let's just order a pie with mushrooms and pepperoni.. (pizza pie they used to be called?)

a sandwich is a sandwich and a burger is a burger, i can't tell you what they are but i'll know it when i see it.

-DS
--------
"I'm a product, of my environment
So don't blame me, I just work here
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:00 PM on j-body.org
a hamburger is a damn hamburger , thats why they make "hamburger buns". they make rolls, hero and wonderbread for sandwiches

Thursday, August 18, 2005 5:52 AM on j-body.org
MiKeDiRnTRuLeZ wrote:I call it an effin hamburger.

If anybody says it's a "sandwich" ill tell em to STFU and punch em in the face.

i;d do it just to provoke you

Thursday, August 18, 2005 5:56 AM on j-body.org
ShiftyCav wrote:a hamburger is a damn hamburger , thats why they make "hamburger buns". they make rolls, hero and wonderbread for sandwiches

like said on page one....

Quote:

Main Entry: 1sand·wich
Pronunciation: 'san(d)-"wich, 'sam-
Function: noun
Etymology: John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich died 1792 English diplomat
1 a : two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between b : one slice of bread covered with food

once you put the meat on the bun its a sandwich....

i mean what differentiates a bun from bread? the same... but a bun is a subcategory or bread.

you have bread

then you have

roll
bun
loaf

hamburger is just the meat itself.... but once you put it on the bread, its a sammich.

Thursday, August 18, 2005 6:34 AM on j-body.org
Anyone care for a hamburger sandwich, french fries and a pop?

Thursday, August 18, 2005 10:12 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Anyone care for a hamburger sandwich, french fries and a pop?

you mean hamburger sandwich, sliced potatos, and a soda pop?

-DS
--------
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana

Friday, August 19, 2005 6:42 AM on j-body.org
Fish and "chips" for me, this hamburger thing is getting out of hand.

A hamburger is a sandwich, a sub is a sandwich. That doesn't make them the same. Only a hamburger is a hamburger while a sandwich could be any type of of sandwich.. Like some roasted chicken breast with roasted pepper, carmalized onion and some pepper sauce on a nice chibotta bread.. Oh oh, add a slice of avacado to that.. Oh ya, now I'm hungry.

When I oder at a fast food place, they always want to sell a combo so I order.. I'd like bla bla burger, sandwich only. They know exactly what I mean.

PAX
Friday, August 19, 2005 1:07 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:...
When I oder at a fast food place, they always want to sell a combo so I order.. I'd like bla bla burger, sandwich only. They know exactly what I mean.

but that could just be like when the mentally handicap person down the street looks up and goes "da plane, da plane!", but he's pointing at a bird. he may have been wrong, but to be nice noone says anything. just smile and nod.

how do you know when you order like that, the 16yo old behind the counter isn't thinking "it's called a hamburger, a$$hat! get it right or move to norway".

lol, jfwy

p.s.> it's like when ppl come into the store and ask for freon and i tell them $30 a can and i need to see their ac license. they go 'what? license? so and so sells it for $10 a can'. i have to ask 'are you talking about freon or r134a?' "oh, r134a". then they want to know the difference and i kill 15 min explaining it. fyi, freon is duponts brand name for r12 refrigerant. like how ppl ask for a kleenex when they want a tissue.

i usually imagine 85% of my customers getting hit by a bus when they leave the store. i call it my happy place.

-DS
--------
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana
Friday, August 19, 2005 1:14 PM on j-body.org
Daniel - (DSLaBuda) wrote:

but that could just be like when the mentally handicap person down the street looks up and goes "da plane, da plane!", but he's pointing at a bird. he may have been wrong, but to be nice noone says anything. just smile and nod.

quote]

Well no, that's not right at all. A bird is not a plane. A hamburger is a sandwich. See the difference?

If the handicapped person said "Look at the avian thing" that would be closer.

PAX
Saturday, August 20, 2005 5:28 PM on j-body.org
fallingpieces wrote:So today I was sitting at lunch eating my sandwich when my tech told me I'm not allowed to call it a sandwich because its a burger. So what do you guys think, are you not allowed to call a burger(sub-category of a sandwich) a sandwich?

That guy deserves a swift kick in the balls. And then a crotch squeeze.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, August 25, 2005 1:05 AM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:
Daniel - (DSLaBuda) wrote:

Well no, that's not right at all. A bird is not a plane. A hamburger is a sandwich. See the difference?

If the handicapped person said "Look at the avian thing" that would be closer.

PAX

Daniel - (DSLaBuda) wrote:i usually imagine 85% of my customers getting hit by a bus when they leave the store. i call it my happy place.

steveo wrote:
fallingpieces wrote:So today I was sitting at lunch eating my sandwich when my tech told me I'm not allowed to call it a sandwich because its a burger. So what do you guys think, are you not allowed to call a burger(sub-category of a sandwich) a sandwich?

That guy deserves a swift kick in the balls. And then a crotch squeeze.

/me covers sack and watches out for crotch squeezing dudes...

-DS
--------
But I wanna f*** it up"
Offspring - americana
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search