From Michael Moore to Dubya - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: From Michael Moore to Dubya
Monday, September 05, 2005 5:56 AM on j-body.org
While it's true that other administrations also cut funding. Bush is responsible for the last 44%. That's a huge cut. He also cut 80% from the local Army corpe of Engineers and authorized the developement of the wetlands that used to protect the coast. Therefore he did way more damage to the area than any past administration and let's fact it.. If the water level in the core was even 1 or 2 feet lower, more people would have survived. More infrastructure would have survived, as well as more buildings.

PAX

Monday, September 05, 2005 10:52 PM on j-body.org
If people are spending millions of dollars on levys and flood protection, maybe they should get the hint that they shouldn't be living there in the first place.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 4:36 AM on j-body.org
While living below sea level isn't great, that city has been there longer than there has been a USA. The French settled it way back. I guess they figured if the Dutch can manage to keep there country dry (something like 2/3rds of Holland is below sea level), then how hard could it be to keep one city?

Telling people they shouldn't live there is like.. Telling people not to live in LA because of earthquakes and fires or not to climb Mt. Hood. Good luck with all that.

Besides isn't it the only truly deep water port on the Gulf coast? I though I heard that it can take ships that Huston can't. Maybe I'm wrong about that one, not sure.

PAX
Tuesday, September 06, 2005 8:14 AM on j-body.org
AuGuStIn wrote:You're making this too easy!! Theee ol' Media-is-liberal myth!! In the days of FOXNews and GE-the-supplier-of-federal-weapons owned NBC!!

Never said they were liberal dont put words in my mouth. I said that just cause the media doesnt show it doesnt mean they arent there. Again that means that they had other topics they felt were more important to discuss.

And if people truly wanted to leave then money wouldnt be a @!#$ option, there were shelters dammit. Most of the people caught in the waters didnt WANT to leave. Saw on FOX news the other day where National Guardsmen came in a boat to pick people off the roofs of their homes and they wouldnt leave.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 10:32 AM on j-body.org
The national guard and Police can't remove people from their homes.

Not until there is martial law IIRC. It would violate due process laws.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 10:54 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

If people are spending millions of dollars on levys and flood protection, maybe they should get the hint that they shouldn't be living there in the first place.

hahaha: to expound my beliefs on this--it's not s much you shouldn't live there--it'
s more like if you do live there don't expect sympathy--or at least to some bloody reasearch before you move in. Hell, when i moved into my current apartment, i checked the local fault maps--to be sure. Also, i'm nowhere near the Ocela or Electron mudflow paths--it would take an ENE lateral blast from Rainier to nail me with anything other than a shower of ash, and the minute the animals and everything goes quiet--i'm gone. It's called being smart.

I've said it before on other boards, as tragic as this is, i feel no sympathy for those that could have left, but stayed. Just like i feel no sympathy for those in L.A, or S.F, or Portland, Seattle, Vancouver BC, or any other place that has a buried fault system and they don't research the area to know where they lie. Further, i think anyone that builds/buys a home within flood area gets what they pay for.

The difference with Holland is that they KNOW that if the dikes break they're screwed. Most people in the states seem to prefer to be blissfully unaware and stupidly optimistic that it hasn't happened before, so it won't happen again.

Oh, and if Rainier does go off, or of a new vent opens up between Rainier and Glacier Peak and obliterates my place--i would expect no sympathy--i choose to live here knowing the danger.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 6:23 AM on j-body.org
mrgto wrote:Matt, the levee's were NOT the problem, it was the floodwalls along the canals. I just saw it on 60 Minutes.

From listening to what one ot the Army Corps of engineers was saying on Discovery chan's Daily Planet, that's pretty accurate, but not totally true.

The gent on there (I forget his name... saw it like 5 mins ago...) said that the storm swell was over 20 feet, and the levy system and floodwalls only reached about 15 feet above mean sea level. The flood walls sit atop the levys and are there because building a taller levy would require more square footage that wasn't available in most areas because they were almost literally butting right up on people's properties.

So when the swell overtook the floodwall, it subsequently washed out the levy.

I think the proposed plan that got syphoned off of was going to buy out adjacent properties and dump heavier grade fill into/onto the levys and possibly reinforce the floodwalls, but I don't have any info on that just yet (using my GF's puter... anyone got a spare 19"+ Viewsonic screen kicking around that they can spare???).

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 7:43 PM on j-body.org
<a href="http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/index.html">Prophetic?</a>

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search