Another Sci-Fi Theory - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Another Sci-Fi Theory
Wednesday, August 24, 2005 2:19 PM on j-body.org
I know I was using it as an example since the basis behind the movie was the theory labotomi described.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 4:33 PM on j-body.org
Jbody2nr wrote:Labotomi isnt teleportation a shortcut in its own right anyways?
I look at the difference as a shortcut takes you from point A to point B through all points between them. Teleportation takes you from point A to point B bypassing any sort of actual travel. Teleportation would be more of a instantaneous displacement.

Also, it was mentioned that maybe teleportation could be just making an exact copy of the original and then destroying it. What if the copy wasn't exact? The "new" person wouldn't know that he was different since his current body/mind is all he has ever known. I think the ethics debate on this would never end and I for one wouldn't ever volunteer for teleportation if this is how it worked.
Wednesday, August 24, 2005 5:19 PM on j-body.org
As we would want it, and definately today with how we could even concieve of the ideas.. i believe teleportation woud be impossible.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/618295
Wednesday, August 24, 2005 7:50 PM on j-body.org
Labotomi wrote:
I look at the difference as a shortcut takes you from point A to point B through all points between them. Teleportation takes you from point A to point B bypassing any sort of actual travel. Teleportation would be more of a instantaneous displacement.

Also, it was mentioned that maybe teleportation could be just making an exact copy of the original and then destroying it. What if the copy wasn't exact? The "new" person wouldn't know that he was different since his current body/mind is all he has ever known. I think the ethics debate on this would never end and I for one wouldn't ever volunteer for teleportation if this is how it worked.

Again wouldnt teleportation as you speak of be a shortcut anyways? Why even think about it if not for the distance you could cover in seconds.

The exact copy thing is merely in theory right now I believe but they have done it on small levels. It would be the only feasible means of teleportation asides from stepping through some kind of gate.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 8:13 PM on j-body.org
^^^ I really don't know how to simplify my explanaton further. Maybe the term shortcut causes the confusion.

wormhole travel is like a road that curves back on itself (a big U). Instead of following the U, a person just steps across the grass separating the roadway hence getting from the start of the U to the end faster than they could have if they followed the path of the roadway. At the start you would occupy the starting point of the U and during travel you would occupy all points between the start and finish (through the grass) at the end you would occupy the end point of the U.

teleportation would take you straight from the start of the U to the end of the U. You would not at any time be anywhere along the road or in the grass. You would only occupy 2 points during your travel
Thursday, August 25, 2005 8:33 AM on j-body.org
Ok so its not teleportation but it is a shortcut.

The definition from the page you provided even says so.

A Wormhole wrote:In physics, a wormhole, also known as an Einstein-Rosen bridge (and less commonly as an Einstein-Rosen-Podolsky bridge or Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen bridge), is a hypothetical topological feature of spacetime that is essentially a "shortcut" through space and time. A wormhole has at least two mouths which are connected to a single throat. Matter can 'travel' from one mouth to the other by passing through the throat.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 11:45 AM on j-body.org
Jbody2nr wrote:Ok so its not teleportation but it is a shortcut.

The definition from the page you provided even says so.

A Wormhole wrote:In physics, a wormhole, also known as an Einstein-Rosen bridge (and less commonly as an Einstein-Rosen-Podolsky bridge or Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen bridge), is a hypothetical topological feature of spacetime that is essentially a "shortcut" through space and time. A wormhole has at least two mouths which are connected to a single throat. Matter can 'travel' from one mouth to the other by passing through the throat.
I'm confused. I don't think I ever said that a wormhole wasn't a shortcut. That's what I called it in an earlier post. Maybe I'm not understanding your statement, but what are you correcting me on?
Thursday, August 25, 2005 11:55 AM on j-body.org
I thought you were saying that a wormhole wasnt a shortcut because you travel all points between the two.

Now Im confused.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 1:25 PM on j-body.org
Labotomi wrote:

Thursday, August 25, 2005 2:14 PM on j-body.org
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OOPS I know Im dyslexic you dont have to make it painfully obvious.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 5:34 PM on j-body.org
i think it would be possible but complex as @#*&. You would need a machine that could brake down every molecule in you, send them to another place and put them back together in the EXACT order. and it couldnt take very long since there is no blood reaching any of your molecules.

Saturday, September 03, 2005 11:44 AM on j-body.org
i coulda SWORE i read an article that they successfully teleported a tomato a VERY short distance.

also, all of u talking about black holes as shorcuts.

id advise all of you to watch/read steven hawkings vids/books

i wont even attempt to give a brief description, but i believe u DO come out on the other side, but all you are is a photon of light.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Saturday, September 03, 2005 11:46 AM on j-body.org
God this post is still around? Guys let it go Scotty is dead so its imposible.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Saturday, September 03, 2005 2:34 PM on j-body.org
Cool! Where we going. I need to get the hell out of here!

New Yeller
Rice is nice,but where's the BEEF!
02lssport.jpg
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search