HYBRID vehicles - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HYBRID vehicles
Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:36 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

so while that option is THERE, it is not practical. and thats my point hybrids are EXTREMELY practical. bikes for alot of people are not.

bikes can be as practical as anything else, all excuses aside...

15 miles here, and there to work.... find work closer....

40 miles to school, perhaps move closer to school. or live on campus if need be...

theres practical ways to address things, however most never want to move out the comfort zone they are already accustomed to. anything else really is merely an excuse.

it would have been a 68 mile commute from where my parents lived in md, near dc and va to towson unversity....

i moved, simple as that. if your campus doesnt have a dorm, you can still rent apartments with something closer... and if its a college there, you can find work AT or NEAR the college to support you living on your own.

its just a part of growing up anyways...

Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:40 AM on j-body.org
Dirty Muffins (Event) wrote:bikes can be as practical as anything else, all excuses aside...

theres practical ways to address things, however most never want to move out the comfort zone they are already accustomed to. anything else really is merely an excuse.

yaay art got it.

pirates kick ninja asses, f00
Thursday, September 22, 2005 3:09 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I think that Canada should halt licensing of future oil contracts and start filling our OWN needs first. I dunno if you the business side of it UHS (I dub thee!!!! ) but Canada fills oil contracts with the US/other countries first, and we get the dregs and stuck with the bill as well.

And, well, leave it to canucks to deliver a little bit of pro-active thought to a discussion

I agree with you 100 percent. I'm in the exploration and development side, and from what I've seen the business side just scares the crap outta me. On the business side here EVERYTHING bows to the almighty dollar. There's so much demand for hydrocarbons that it's just cheaper to buy our own oil back after it's been refined elsewhere. Much of what I see and read here is stupid and short-sighted IMO, but that's what happens.
Thursday, September 22, 2005 4:32 PM on j-body.org
get a motorcycle... hell, i get ~40mpg running the piss out of my bike. plus, it's just so much funner (yes, i said "funner") than riding in a cage

Thursday, September 22, 2005 5:14 PM on j-body.org
^^^ the only problem with motorcycles here is that you have the rainy season,

I would LOVE to do biking in the summer and learn how to ride, but it would have to be a secondary vehicle in the land where the sun don't shine.

However, since i moved up here, most of my commuting is done through public transit--i maybe put 300 miles on my car every 2 weeks.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:05 PM on j-body.org
Dirty Muffins (Event) wrote:
Quote:

so while that option is THERE, it is not practical. and thats my point hybrids are EXTREMELY practical. bikes for alot of people are not.

40 miles to school, perhaps move closer to school. or live on campus if need be...

it would have been a 68 mile commute from where my parents lived in md, near dc and va to towson unversity....

i moved, simple as that. if your campus doesnt have a dorm, you can still rent apartments with something closer... and if its a college there, you can find work AT or NEAR the college to support you living on your own.

no its not practical.

if i move closer to school, im farther from work.

it would be completely impractical for me to change jobs, since i have been at my job for 6+ years as a IT manager which is basically un heard of especially since i am STILL in college.

and if i got a diff job i would not make as much as i do now, nor have the flexibility.

so doing as you say, would make my life WORSE and i would actually have LESS money.

yes i could do it, but liek i said it is impractical for my situation. if i coudl i would

but that is why im trying my hardest to get enough money to buy a hybrid and why i am makign a full cockpit recumbent bike to commute.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:52 PM on j-body.org
Nathaniel wrote:
Quote:

no its not practical.

if i move closer to school, im farther from work.

it would be completely impractical for me to change jobs, since i have been at my job for 6+ years as a IT manager which is basically un heard of especially since i am STILL in college.

and if i got a diff job i would not make as much as i do now, nor have the flexibility.

so doing as you say, would make my life WORSE and i would actually have LESS money.

yes i could do it, but liek i said it is impractical for my situation. if i coudl i would

but that is why im trying my hardest to get enough money to buy a hybrid and why i am makign a full cockpit recumbent bike to commute.

i'm sure if your schools area is worth anything, you can find a similar job near a college that deals in the same stuff, if not working FOR the college.

its just proof that nature isnt as high as you deem it on the forums, in reality.

even finding a place in between the two points would be more beneficial....

however if by chance, and its funny it always is, your job is on the other direction from your house if your house is the mid point between school and work, and by chance you cant find ANY job that pays similar in a college town, which is unlikley----

theres still no reason you cant buy a huffy from walmart and ride from house to work.

and really, you dont NEED a recumbent bike, so theres really no need for waiting. people have ridden uprights for miles for years..... lance armstrong can do it....

its just more "excuses" on why it hasnt been done yet

Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:03 PM on j-body.org
first of all i feel the need to tell you i live in california. so maybe u can understand the extremely agressive IT job market and high cost of living. and it is not posible for me to move somewhere with lower cost of living because that would = no IT jobs in most cases.

plus the fact that i help my mother and 2 elderly grandparents that need constant care. even if there was jobs in another state i could not do it.

Quote:

i'm sure if your schools area is worth anything, you can find a similar job near a college that deals in the same stuff, if not working FOR the college.

as stated before i live in california = agressive IT market. PLUS i do not have my degree yet, and it is EXTREMELY rare that i happened to get the job i have now already in my field. on a resume vs resume basis i would be getting killed by other IT professionals since i do not have a degree. if they knew me and my knowledge they would see i can more than get the job done, but unfortunately jobs dont go around taking that risk on people.

so again, like i told u going away from my job would be one of the stupidest impractical things i could possibly do with my future. but u know not what ur speaking on, so i guess its ok.

Quote:

its just proof that nature isnt as high as you deem it on the forums, in reality.

do NOT speak on things u know nothing about.

Quote:

even finding a place in between the two points would be more beneficial....

however if by chance, and its funny it always is, your job is on the other direction from your house if your house is the mid point between school and work, and by chance you cant find ANY job that pays similar in a college town, which is unlikley----

actually its VERY likely, but like i said before u know not the IT job market in california or the towns i live work and go to school in.

its a JC so the college really doesnt have MUCH of affect on the jobs there. and read above for why i shouldnt couldnt and wouldnt go to another job.

my house is set up like 1 point on a triangle of my commute.

from my house i would drive diagonly about 15 miles to work, then from work drive a pretty strait path to school for 40 miles, then from school i would go either 40 miles back to work or about 30 to get to my house depending on if im in the middle of a job at work or not.

hope that makes sense.

Quote:

theres still no reason you cant buy a huffy from walmart and ride from house to work.

actually i have a powerlite bmx bike that i HAVE taken to work multiple times. but i quickly realized that the time i spend getting to work and getting home on my bike i can use to build my recumbent that i WILL ride nearly every single day, even in winter (hence why im making it cockpitted) so the bit of time i am saving and gas im wasting and pollution im creating not riding my bmx to work will be MORE than made up for as SOON as the recumbent is built since i will be riding it EVERY day.

Quote:

and really, you dont NEED a recumbent bike, so theres really no need for waiting. people have ridden uprights for miles for years..... lance armstrong can do it....

oh nice one there, because i shoudl easily be able to compete with a professional cyclist that has been training for YEARS and is a world champion... RIIIIGGGHHHTTTT

Quote:

its just more "excuses" on why it hasnt been done yet

please i beg u to name an excuse for me. every action i am making i am making in efforts to as quickly as possible become as efficient as possible in MANY ways.

going to college faster = make enough money faster to buy a hybrid or alternate fuel vehicle

getting to work quicker= allows me to work more hours which equals more money in my pay check, quickening my efforts to a afv/hybrid and allowing me to buy supplies quicker for the bent. also giving more time to hasten the build process of the bent. leading to riding my bent every day for my work commute.

but u know what event, stay on topic which is about alternate fuel vehicles and hybrids instead of speaking on things u know absolutely NOTHING about.

Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:25 PM on j-body.org
and u know what, i never said i am the perfect environmentalist at all. i am however doing ALOT and ALOT more than the majority of people. doesnt make me a better person, i just put more effort into it and am perhaps more concerned. i am doing nearly the most that is practical for me at this time without completely running the rest of my life by messing up job opportunity and schooling.

and u know what thats a GOOD thing. so back the hell off

im making effort to conserve

im making a bent electric assist cockpitted bike to comfortably and efficiently commute to work

im saving to as soon as possible get a hybrid or other alternate fuel vehicle.

and u know what those are all awesome things. and they are all at sacrafices on my part to accomplish.

never said or claimed to be doing everything humanly possible, but i AM doing everything practical at this point in my life. and each step of the way requires sacrafices. not doing just what is convenient.

i really dont understand how u can have room to critisize me for all my efforts???

get a life bro.

Friday, September 23, 2005 3:04 AM on j-body.org
Well, for now, I'll venture this:

- Don't jump on any one person's back, we all consume, so we're all at fault.
- Some people are going to conserve more than others, it's a fact of life, but if everyone conserves a little more than what they usually do, it'll reap themselves and the collective a greater benefit.

Like the original post said: 3mpg increase, and Kuwait/Iraqi (ie the major gulf pre-1990 import countries) and Saudi oil contracts could lapse tomorrow and no effect on the price of Gas would be felt.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, September 23, 2005 4:44 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Honestly, until there is a way to extract hydrogen in extremely high quantity, hydrogen powered vehicles will not be viable. I can see electric vehicles becoming more of a reality before hydrogen.

There is a method for extracting enough hydrogen to power a car for 300-400 mile range. I saw it in a video in my biology class in college. Some german used some type of material that absorbs hydrogen like a sponge and it will hold enough pure hydrogen to power a car a good amount of time. It just needs to be mass produced and the bugs worked out thats all.

Sorry no links.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Friday, September 23, 2005 7:43 AM on j-body.org
Jbody2nr wrote:
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Honestly, until there is a way to extract hydrogen in extremely high quantity, hydrogen powered vehicles will not be viable. I can see electric vehicles becoming more of a reality before hydrogen.

There is a method for extracting enough hydrogen to power a car for 300-400 mile range. I saw it in a video in my biology class in college. Some german used some type of material that absorbs hydrogen like a sponge and it will hold enough pure hydrogen to power a car a good amount of time. It just needs to be mass produced and the bugs worked out thats all.

Sorry no links.

From what exactly does this sponge collect hydrogen? The atmosphere? Hydrocarbons? I'd be curious to see if anyone else has any links to this.

It totally slipped my mind when I wrote my last post, but there is another interesting problem associated with hydrogen power that is completely unrelated to the extreme volatility - finding a viable source. As it stands, HYDROCARBONS are the easiest and most widely-used source for hydrogen today.
Friday, September 23, 2005 8:03 AM on j-body.org
I think he soaked it in water and ran an electric current through it. The material he used already had a tendency to absorb JUST hydrogen from air. I dont know what material it is though. I'll see if I can find out later.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Friday, September 23, 2005 8:10 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Well, for now, I'll venture this:

thats the point that i made in the rodimus prime gets 37mpg gallon on an untuned car post ...

however nathaniel is always "in the process", whether its saving meat/animals from a cleaver, or making a recumbent bike...

fact is and my main point here, he doesnt NEED a recumbent bike, thats a WANT... if he was as "captain planet" minded as he gets on others in various other posts on hybrids and saving the earth and animals etc...

then he simply would be riding a bike to work... thats his plan after the build anyways....... well for the time being, and since he has a good job, a simple bike would get the job done, and be practical for him all this past summer and decent months of the year.

building a recumbent bike isnt gonna help him be any safer on the roads he travels now than it would with an upright. its still gonna be a small bike on the same road with the same cars... hes gonna travel close the same speeds as an upright bike as well, so it will be no quicker than when he finishes the bike or if he had an upright. as it stands uprights have more potential to be faster than a recumbent due to the smaller less bulkier sizes of them.

so if he really was gonna do something about the whole ordeal it would have been done by now. it doesnt rain 100% of the time, and he could be riding to work this whole past summer on any bike... point being it DOESNT need to be a recumbent. thats a luxurious WANT.... however he keeps bringin up in most all his "eco posts" about how hes building one so he can do this and that...

building the bike, thats great, and like i said in the past i applaud him, however if he cared as much as his posts dictates 90% of the time, he would have done something by now.

to quote a busta rhymes album about the bike ordeal.

"F the yappin, stay true to it, do it" or in the words of larry the cable guy, GIT R DONNNNE!

a few of his quotes
Quote:

oh nice one there, because i shoudl easily be able to compete with a professional cyclist that has been training for YEARS and is a world champion... RIIIIGGGHHHTTTT

oy vey...the force is weak in this one......no one said you were to COMPETE with him, its the fact that if anyone can ride an upright, then really you dont NEED a recumbent bike.... not anything about that you can get the same times and speeds he does.... use your brain pokey

Quote:

please i beg u to name an excuse for me. every action i am making i am making in efforts to as quickly as possible become as efficient as possible in MANY ways.

sure not a problem...

1) you say you wont do the ride to work on a bike until you build a recumbent bike your building

2) then you also say

Quote:

getting to work quicker= allows me to work more hours which equals more money in my pay check, quickening my efforts to a afv/hybrid and allowing me to buy supplies quicker for the bent. also giving more time to hasten the build process of the bent. leading to riding my bent every day for my work commute.

LOGICAL CONCLUSION....so when you build the bike, you will be getting work slower than you will with a car anyways...so either way, you will be getting to work slower, and still driving a gas guzzling cavalier to class(in comparison to a hybrid)

it would pretty much make more sense to simply ditch the bike idea, sell the cav, and then buy a hybrid.....maximize all three realms.

so that way you ride to work efficiently, to school, and anywhere else you go long or short distance.

and yes i do know how those living situations with mother and grandparents are. i went through it in college myself. my greatgrandmother lived with us from 1988 when her husband died, until her death in 2003. hence the reason i passed on admissions to Virginia Tech, Darthmouth, WV university, and univ of south carolina as the distance was too far from them.... i know how it was to rush home right after 3 hours of football, or getting off the bus comming back from Cornell or Bucknell in the snow, cold, wet, and then driving to home or a hospital a hour away to make sure things were fine, then back to school....

reality is, when you get that phone call one day telling you to get home fast, or get to the hospital for the last 10 minutes of someones life, a bike isnt gonna do crap if you happen to be at work. however the hybrid car would seem to be the better option overall.

less pollution, same car highway road speeds, less gas used overall, and now they come with human body friendly front ends and side panels so if you happen to hit an animal, its less likely to do AS MUCH damage, and no thats not thrown in there as a joke...

you spoke on all the incentives, prices etc...

and for someone telling others they know nothing about something, you couldnt even figure out that i was making the point of lance storm rides an upright, not comparing your performance with his. i know he;d dominate you.... even lance eats meat

Quote:

and each step of the way requires sacrafices. not doing just what is convenient.

just remember that quote next time you decide to tell an athlete they are a bad person cause they eat meat which harms animals...

sometimes you DO have to break a few eggs to make an omelete. it goes for ALL aspects of life.

Friday, September 23, 2005 9:25 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Well, for now, I'll venture this:

thats the point that i made in the rodimus prime gets 37mpg gallon on an untuned car post ...

however nathaniel is always "in the process", whether its saving meat/animals from a cleaver, or making a recumbent bike...

isnt that what life is? are we ALWAYS going TOWARDS something?

Quote:

fact is and my main point here, he doesnt NEED a recumbent bike, thats a WANT... if he was as "captain planet" minded as he gets on others in various other posts on hybrids and saving the earth and animals etc...

i have never once said i save the most possible do the most possible for the earth or do the most possible for animals. i do however do ALOT and WAY WAY WAY more than the average person. and that is what i have ALWAYS said. and anyone even making a BIT of conservation i give props to. so i dont know what made up convos ur getting yoru info from.

Quote:

then he simply would be riding a bike to work... thats his plan after the build anyways....... well for the time being, and since he has a good job, a simple bike would get the job done, and be practical for him all this past summer and decent months of the year.

here it is again for you:
"actually i have a powerlite bmx bike that i HAVE taken to work multiple times. but i quickly realized that the time i spend getting to work and getting home on my bike i can use to build my recumbent that i WILL ride nearly every single day, even in winter (hence why im making it cockpitted) so the bit of time i am saving and gas im wasting and pollution im creating not riding my bmx to work will be MORE than made up for as SOON as the recumbent is built since i will be riding it EVERY day."

Quote:

building a recumbent bike isnt gonna help him be any safer on the roads he travels now than it would with an upright. its still gonna be a small bike on the same road with the same cars... hes gonna travel close the same speeds as an upright bike as well, so it will be no quicker than when he finishes the bike or if he had an upright. as it stands uprights have more potential to be faster than a recumbent due to the smaller less bulkier sizes of them.

u know absolutely nothing about recumbent bikes. OBVIOUSLY. they are MUCH safer MUCH MUCH safer. ESPECIALLY since mine is cockpitted it will have a full roll cage. recumbents actually have the possibility of being MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than uprights because of low center of gravity and the physics of how you push the pedals. this is why they were banned from olympic cycling events. but again ur speaking on something u know NOTHING about.

not to mention the one i am making is electric assisted as well. = 25+ mph with pedal power.

Quote:

so if he really was gonna do something about the whole ordeal it would have been done by now. it doesnt rain 100% of the time, and he could be riding to work this whole past summer on any bike... point being it DOESNT need to be a recumbent. thats a luxurious WANT.... however he keeps bringin up in most all his "eco posts" about how hes building one so he can do this and that...

well ive only spoke about it for about a month since that is when i got my welder and began the initial stages of frame building. is there a problem with me saying im building a bent?

Quote:

building the bike, thats great, and like i said in the past i applaud him, however if he cared as much as his posts dictates 90% of the time, he would have done something by now.

i just found out about recumbents about 2 months ago, started my in depth research and purchased plans from an industry leader in bent bikes and am going to be custom modifieing it to be fully cockpitted and electric assisted. but i guess according to you i should be a expert engineer and welder and should have built an entire bent bike for the first time in 1 month. RIIIIIGGGHHHHTTT.

Quote:

to quote a busta rhymes album about the bike ordeal.

"F the yappin, stay true to it, do it" or in the words of larry the cable guy, GIT R DONNNNE!

i DO believe thats EXACTLY what im doing. your the one doing nothing but yapping.

attacking someone for doing TONS of things to conserve. just looking childish really.

Quote:

a few of his quotes
Quote:

oy vey...the force is weak in this one......no one said you were to COMPETE with him, its the fact that if anyone can ride an upright, then really you dont NEED a recumbent bike.... not anything about that you can get the same times and speeds he does.... use your brain pokey

what dont u understand about the amount of pay +time i LOOSE when riding a BMX bike to work 15 miles each way? ive done it many times. and i love it, but since i am not a trained cyclist it takes me a LONG time and im EXTREMELY sore and sweaty, both of which would be negatively effecting my presence in the workplace. HENCE why im making a bent bike that is electric assisted. much higher speeds possible on bents plus being elec assisted it will be easier to go faster and less tireing. but again, u know nothing of this subject.
Quote:

Quote:

sure not a problem...

1) you say you wont do the ride to work on a bike until you build a recumbent bike your building

2) then you also say

Quote:

LOGICAL CONCLUSION....so when you build the bike, you will be getting work slower than you will with a car anyways...so either way, you will be getting to work slower, and still driving a gas guzzling cavalier to class(in comparison to a hybrid)

in a bent electric assisted bike i will be able to get to work in nearly the same time as my car. since in the bent i will be going abotu an average about 25 mph. the speed limit for cars on the streets i drive is 35mph. but on the bike i will be waiting in no traffic lines in peak commute.

Quote:

it would pretty much make more sense to simply ditch the bike idea, sell the cav, and then buy a hybrid.....maximize all three realms.

the point of me riding my bike to work is to not use gas at ALL.

secondly i have already stated MULTIPLE times i CAN NOT AFFORD A HYBRID RIGHT NOW. no way possible. as soon as i can i am getting one. and im currently saving.

Quote:

so that way you ride to work efficiently, to school, and anywhere else you go long or short distance.

EXACTLY!!! thats why im getting the hybrid as soon as i possibly can. but my plan is much better than ur genious plan. since i will be riding my bent to work not using gas at ALL.

Quote:

and yes i do know how those living situations with mother and grandparents are. i went through it in college myself. my greatgrandmother lived with us from 1988 when her husband died, until her death in 2003. hence the reason i passed on admissions to Virginia Tech, Darthmouth, WV university, and univ of south carolina as the distance was too far from them.... i know how it was to rush home right after 3 hours of football, or getting off the bus comming back from Cornell or Bucknell in the snow, cold, wet, and then driving to home or a hospital a hour away to make sure things were fine, then back to school....

reality is, when you get that phone call one day telling you to get home fast, or get to the hospital for the last 10 minutes of someones life, a bike isnt gonna do crap if you happen to be at work. however the hybrid car would seem to be the better option overall.

i am sorry for your loss and im glad u understand the situation.

but liek i said who knows how many times, i am getting a hybrid or other alternate fuel vehicle as soon as i can. but ur point abotu a bike not doing me any good, i could go up to ANY person at my work even the owners if somethign happened and at a drop of a hat i would have a FAST drive home to my hybrid to get to a hospital.

Quote:

less pollution, same car highway road speeds, less gas used overall, and now they come with human body friendly front ends and side panels so if you happen to hit an animal, its less likely to do AS MUCH damage, and no thats not thrown in there as a joke...

you spoke on all the incentives, prices etc...

i know all this. i coulda swore i was the one that started this PRO hybrid car thread, but now ur telling ME about them??? i have said MULTIPLE times, im getting a hybrid or other afv as soon as i can. why do u keep bringing this up???

Quote:

and for someone telling others they know nothing about something, you couldnt even figure out that i was making the point of lance storm rides an upright, not comparing your performance with his. i know he;d dominate you.... even lance eats meat

bring up lance does nothing to make any kind of point about a untrained person riding their bike to work.

----

i will not respond to your comment about athletes and meat. i WILL not let u turn this into a debate on animal use.

---

im not going to respond to you again in this post event.

u are actually trying to argue with someone that is making TONS of efforts to conserve now and in the future. you like a childish little boy that has to get on everyone to make themselves feel better.

maybe in the other forums u can get away with getting on people and people regard u as the j know it all guy. but u know what u better quit that attitude in my posts because there has never been a time that me and you have typed to eachother when i didnt know what i was talking about. and you have always made urself look caddy and childish.

so next time u want to speak out to me, hold ur breathe till u find someone who cares.

Friday, September 23, 2005 9:36 AM on j-body.org
CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!!

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, September 23, 2005 9:50 AM on j-body.org
falnfenix(gosh, i am a GIRL!) wrote:
Dirty Muffins (Event) wrote:bikes can be as practical as anything else, all excuses aside...

yaay art got it.

it appears hes still clueless on the matter....as usual.

Friday, September 23, 2005 9:55 AM on j-body.org
i just found out how to save tons of gas in the winter time!!

"Also try to drive less. Tell your boss it’s too cold and stay inside where it’s warm and toasty. Who wants to go outside in the cold anyhow?"

Friday, September 23, 2005 9:59 AM on j-body.org
some info on diesels

"As an indication of how significant the pollution problem still is for current diesel engines consider that the diesel Jetta is rated 4 on the EPA’s Air Pollution Scale (1 to 10 with 10 lowest pollution) whereas the gasoline Jetta is rated 8. On the same scale, Prius earns a 10 and Escape Hybrid earns an 8. The stricter pollution standards for diesel engines do not fully take effect until 2007, so, if one is very concerned about not contributing to pollution, then one should wait until then to consider diesel.

Availability of diesel fuel is a concern for many drivers. Only about 33% of neighborhood service stations carry diesel, and often the diesel pump is dirty since spilled diesel does not evaporate like gasoline does.

Diesel suffers from an image problem. Owners of gasoline vehicles generally still believe that diesels are noisy, smelly and underpowered relative to gasoline vehicles. In large part, this is due to unfamiliarity with modern diesel technology. Compared with 1988 diesel technology, modern diesels have 100% more power, 60% less noise, 90% lower emissions, and 30% less fuel consumption. Modern diesels are not noisier than gasoline engines, do not produce a diesel odor, and accelerate as well as comparable gasoline vehicles. This suggests that many of the negative perceptions about diesels held by car buyers could be overcome with greater exposure to modern diesel vehicles."

Friday, September 23, 2005 10:01 AM on j-body.org
some stuff on hybrids

"Hybrids also have an image problem. Consumers think of fuel economy and low pollution when they think of hybrid vehicles, but they do not think of increased performance. Even owners of conventional gasoline vehicles see hybrids as exceptional when it comes to fuel economy and emissions, but when it comes to acceleration and power, most gasoline vehicle owners believe hybrids are inferior to gasoline vehicles. Gasoline vehicle owners also give hybrids low grades for reliability, and they believe they are much worse when it comes to price.

Owners of hybrid vehicles have very different opinions about their vehicles. Not only do they consider them to be entirely superior when it comes to fuel economy and air pollution, but they perceive the hybrid’s performance and power to be just as good as that of a conventional gasoline vehicle and they give hybrids better marks for reliability. Even hybrid owners, however, see hybrids as worse when it comes to price."

Friday, September 23, 2005 10:11 AM on j-body.org
absolutely AWESOME superbowl commercial

http://www.hybridcars.com/media/prius60s.mov

more interesting info

Hybrid Taxicabs
Taxicabs run 24 hours a day, and can rack up 100,000 miles per year. With these numbers, switching from a Crown Victoria to a hybrid can save a taxi company as much as $9,000 in fuel costs per year.

----

DaimlerChrysler
Here's what they say: "Looking at the big picture, we believe an advanced diesel technology is a better solution.”

Ford
With its 2005 fleet, headlined by the Escape Hybrid, Ford is starting to back up its green marketing message with more fuel efficient vehicles.

General Motors
The Union of Concerned Scientists calls the automaker, "public polluter number 1." Are they throwing up a hydrogen smokescreen?

Honda
Honda has three hybrids available to American consumers—while many major auto companies are just announcing plans to begin developing hybrid programs.

Hyundai
The Korean automaker is investing nearly 900 million dollars in their hybrid program.

Toyota
It was a twelve-year journey from Toyota's 1992 "Earth Charter" to their ground-breaking 2004 Toyota Prius.

Volkswagen
Down on hybrids: “We are not interested in making cars which don’t make money.”

-----

Any vehicle is a hybrid when it combines two or more sources of power. Hybrid cars run off a rechargeable battery and gasoline.

Hybrid engines are built smaller to accommodate the 99% of time when not going up hill or accelerating quickly. It uses the battery to provide extra acceleration power when needed.

When the car is stopped, hybrid gasoline motors can shut off and run off their electric motor and battery.

Hybrid cars are often lighter and more aerodynamic; tires are often stiffer and inflated higher to reduce drag.

Hybrid cars often recover braking energy and use it to charge the battery.

-----

and finally this is what i stated before what I think is the BEST option for the future a BIO diesel HYBRID

heres info

Quote:

Biofuels Are Promising but Would Require a Major Shift

Biofuel or biomass energy are formal names for fuel created from stuff that can be grown. The most common forms of biofuel are ethanol (often derived from corn) and biodiesel (often derived from soy). Creative alternative energy folks have also used everything from livestock droppings to heather, and look to perennial crops like switchgrass and poplar trees as low maintenance sources. Just imagine a society fueled with clean, renewable, locally grown fuel.

In addition to providing a renewable source of energy for our transportation needs, and thus reducing greenhouse gases and dependence on foreign oil, biofuels could provide tens of millions of dollars of new income for American farmers and rural communities.

Biodiesel Benefits

Biodiesel runs in any conventional, unmodified diesel engine
Biodiesel can be used alone or mixed in various percentages with petroleum diesel
Biodiesel can be stored and transported anywhere that petroleum diesel is stored (with little or no damage in the event of a spill). It’s biodegradable and non-toxic.
Engines running biodiesel have similar fuel mileage to engines on diesel fuel.
On the negative side, biodiesel produces more nitrous oxide, which contributes to smog. In addition, pure biodiesel does not flow as well as petroleum diesel in cold temperatures, so it could result in increased engine clogs.

Ethanol Benefits

Up to a 10 percent blend of ethanol is already covered under warranty of every auto manufacturer
A blend with 85 percent ethanol burns in an extremely clean and complete manner
E85 is already running on millions of so-called E85 flexible cars in the U.S. These cars, primarily used in corporate and government fleets, are manufactured by DaimlerChrysler, Ford, GM and Mercedes. Most of the E85 flexible cars are wagons and pick-ups.
The biggest drawback with high-ethanol blends today is that they are not widely available. There are approximately 200 refueling stations across the U.S.

Major Shift Required

A grow-your-own approach to fueling our cars and trucks sounds very enticing. A major shift to biofuels could put our farmers to work, greatly reduce greenhouse emissions, and free us from dependence on the Middle East. A shift to a biofuel infrastructure would not happen overnight. It would require a major shift in our collective political will.

This potential shift also raises serious concerns about land use, pesticide use, and genetically modified crops, as well as difficult economic questions about the net costs of using land for food production versus energy production.

Hybrid cars by definition use more than one source to power a car. As a result, hybrids are often referred to as a bridge technology between currently available technologies and promising future approaches, such as hydrogen fuel cells. As carmakers continue to improve gas and diesel engines, and experiment with hybridization, perhaps biofuels will be brought into the mix—but only if oil becomes more scarce, more costly to produce and import, and even more obviously destructive to the environment.

Friday, September 23, 2005 11:04 AM on j-body.org
MikeGT wrote:I like to idea behind them for the obvious reason. but do you REALLY have to make them look so ugly? i know it may be a bit hard to make a hybrid to look like corvette, but come on..

408 horsepower

437 miles to a 13.7 gallon tank which equals 31.8 MPG

0-60 in about 4 seconds....

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

im so glad someone else knew this car was a hybrid!!

more info:
Italdesign-Giugiaro and Toyota have collaborated to produce a stunning new concept for the Geneva Motor Show. It features the new Lexus RX400h's hybrid powertrain, combined with a carbon fibre chassis and sports car body engineered and produced by the famous Italian style and development company.

With a top speed of 155 mph, 0-62 mph acceleration in a scorching 4.03 seconds, and a range of some 430 miles, the Toyota Alessandro Volta concept car proves it is possible to offer high performance in a car whose green credentials are unimpeachable. The car is named after Alessandro Volta, the Italian scientist who discovered the battery.

The striking Hybrid Synergy DriveO powertrain combines a 3.3-litre V6 petrol engine with 2 powerful electric motors which provide the Alessandro Volta with a total output of 408 bhp (300 kW).

The hybrid powetrain is mounted in a midship position, as the front wheels are powered by the second electric motor, generating 4-wheel traction without the need for a transmission shaft. Consequently, the vehicle's flat floor permitted Italdesign to house three passengers in a 167.7-inch long coupe.

The Toyota Alessandro Volta is a styling exercise aimed at exploring new applications of the Hybrid synergy DriveO technology. Toyota is proud to have collaborated with the prestigious Italdesign-Giugiaro on a concept that further demonstates the potential and flexibility of the Hybrid Synergy DriveO technology.
--

AUTOWEEK MOST SIGNIFICANT AWARD WINNER: Alessandro Volta invented the electric battery and Toyota has created the ultimate for-production hybrid-electric powertrain that sees its first use in the Lexus RX400h unveiled in Detroit this past January. Put the two great moments in circuitry together and you get a supercar commemorating Alessandro's awesomeness and AW's pick for Most Significant at Geneva. It impresses us that 1) Toyota is doing a supercar in the first place, 2) they got together with Giugaro to do it instead of their own ED2 studio in the south of France and 3) it's a beautiful hybrid car instead of looking like a rolling experiment pod. The Italdesign-Giugiaro Toyota Alessandro Volta generates a calculated 402 horsepower from the Hybrid Synergy Drive System in this guise and that takes it to 62 mph from 0 mph in just four seconds thanks to the all carbon fiber body and chassis construction from Giugiaro resulting in a curb weight of just 2866 pounds versus the RX400h at 4000-something. Top speed is limited to 155 mph and average mileage hits nearly 40 mpg. And it could see production by 2007. We have a new market segment, kids!

Friday, September 23, 2005 2:46 PM on j-body.org
alll that power and better milage as my cavy......i want one

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Friday, September 23, 2005 3:00 PM on j-body.org
when they were getting ready to start seeling them back in 04 they had it slated for like 75 grand each.

Friday, September 23, 2005 3:52 PM on j-body.org
Jbody2nr wrote:

Sorry no links.

I have seen the item you're talking about... it's a multiple filament electrolysis setup, but the sponge is man-made.

It's okay except for the fact that it takes more energy to separate the hydrogen and Oxygen than what is returned in making the car move.

There is a setup that is currently being used to separate nitrogen from the air (it's basically an attachment to a compressor, they have them in most Costco locations that sell tires) that shows promise, but it's not able to separate hydrogen from oxygen... yet.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search