HYBRID vehicles - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HYBRID vehicles
Monday, September 26, 2005 6:57 PM on j-body.org
click

here is another forum w/ basically the same topic about hybrids
impracticle and over rated

Monday, September 26, 2005 7:43 PM on j-body.org
The problem with many proposed alternative energy sources is that, for production, many require high energy input in order to be mass produced. For example, energy input is needed for production of electricty or hydrogen, and the majority of this energy likely comes from combustion of hydrocarbons...so this isn't really solving the problem.

What we need in terms of an alternative energy source is one that is renewable and independent of hydrocarbon energy sources for production. One answer to this need is biodiesel:

National Biodiesel Board

Production of biodiesel can be accomplished by a very simple chemical reaction. The source of oil can come from everything from vegetable oils, soybeans, and even diatoms (small, oil-producing organisms). Granted, in order to produce enough biodiesel capable of supporting the United States' energy needs, a very large production project would have to be undertaken. But, to quote a physical chemist I know who is an expert in this field - A 100 square mile pond full of oil-producing diatoms would be sufficient for supporting 100% of the United States' energy needs. The diatoms are like algae - they are quickly renewable, quickly harvested for oil collection, and would essentially be like growing plants.

Biodiesel is also much cleaner than dinodiesel - less particulate matter, and reduced emissions in almost every category except for NOx emission.

So, if diesel engines have proven to be very energy efficient, why not produce a biodiesel powered diesel-hybrid engine. You have the benefit of burning a renewable, cleaner energy source through a platform that has proven to be very efficient in combination with hybrid technology has the potential to be superior to many other designs.

Additionally, biodiesel is 100% compatible with today's diesel engines, so there would be minimal technological change for existing diesel design. In fact, if you've heard of different grades of diesel - like B20, for example - we are already burning biodiesel/dinodiesel mixtures. B20 contains 20% biodiesel and 80% dinodiesel, and there are stations that already sell B100, which is 100% biodiesel.

Just my 2 cents.

Monday, September 26, 2005 8:19 PM on j-body.org
What I've read about the different Biodiesel engines, they're not great in sub-Zero Celsius weather. If that can be remedied, I think we'd have a winner.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, September 26, 2005 9:15 PM on j-body.org
Someone in the lab that I worked in was actually testing different additives that would minimize the gel-type substance that 100% biodiesel tends to form in cold weather. This is the only problem associated with biodiesel. The testing being done was on the flashpoint of the biodiesel with different additives to make sure that the additive did not lower the flash point too low, where it would be unsafe to run in an internal combustion engine.

This problem, however, is a very minor one. If biodiesel catches on, I gaurantee that chemists would find a very simple remedy.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 12:12 AM on j-body.org
Nickobub wrote:The problem with many proposed alternative energy sources is that, for production, many require high energy input in order to be mass produced. For example, energy input is needed for production of electricty or hydrogen, and the majority of this energy likely comes from combustion of hydrocarbons...so this isn't really solving the problem.

What we need in terms of an alternative energy source is one that is renewable and independent of hydrocarbon energy sources for production. One answer to this need is biodiesel:

National Biodiesel Board

Production of biodiesel can be accomplished by a very simple chemical reaction. The source of oil can come from everything from vegetable oils, soybeans, and even diatoms (small, oil-producing organisms). Granted, in order to produce enough biodiesel capable of supporting the United States' energy needs, a very large production project would have to be undertaken. But, to quote a physical chemist I know who is an expert in this field - A 100 square mile pond full of oil-producing diatoms would be sufficient for supporting 100% of the United States' energy needs. The diatoms are like algae - they are quickly renewable, quickly harvested for oil collection, and would essentially be like growing plants.

Biodiesel is also much cleaner than dinodiesel - less particulate matter, and reduced emissions in almost every category except for NOx emission.

So, if diesel engines have proven to be very energy efficient, why not produce a biodiesel powered diesel-hybrid engine. You have the benefit of burning a renewable, cleaner energy source through a platform that has proven to be very efficient in combination with hybrid technology has the potential to be superior to many other designs.

Additionally, biodiesel is 100% compatible with today's diesel engines, so there would be minimal technological change for existing diesel design. In fact, if you've heard of different grades of diesel - like B20, for example - we are already burning biodiesel/dinodiesel mixtures. B20 contains 20% biodiesel and 80% dinodiesel, and there are stations that already sell B100, which is 100% biodiesel.

Just my 2 cents.

omg someone took my idea!!!! bastads!!!!

bio diesel hybrid!!!

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:39 AM on j-body.org
Nikobub:
Well, from the Greasecar/veggiegas links I provided in another post, there are a lot of answers, but the simplest I've seen is mixing Biodiesel and petro-diesel. The formulation keeps the biodiesel content low (about 30% or less).

The only other idea I've seen is the inclusion of a small, low voltage heat exchanger in the tank. Not a great idea, but better than letting it solidify.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:15 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Nikobub:
Well, from the Greasecar/veggiegas links I provided in another post, there are a lot of answers, but the simplest I've seen is mixing Biodiesel and petro-diesel. The formulation keeps the biodiesel content low (about 30% or less).

The only other idea I've seen is the inclusion of a small, low voltage heat exchanger in the tank. Not a great idea, but better than letting it solidify.

Yeah that is one alternative, however, I think there would be a simpler solution than going to the trouble of putting a heat exchanger in/around the tank. I am willing to bet that a reasonably simple compound could be added to biodiesel to prevent the fuel from solidifying - whether that be some type of alcohol, or whatever. And I'm not talking just an additive that you would buy at the store - I believe that oil companies (if they were smart they'd jump on this gold mine) would premix the additive so that it comes out of the pump resistant to solidfying.

Addition of a compound that interferes with the intermolecular forces responsible for facilitating the freezing process is a well studied chemical property called freezing point depression. Add sodium chloride to water, its freezing point will decrease. Add ethanol to water, its freezing point will decrease. I'm sure a similar compound compatible with biodiesel could also easily be added to B100 mixtures while retaining the necessary properties for combustion in diesel engines.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:49 PM on j-body.org
yes im possitive there will be a somewhat simple resolution to the problem

only reason why it hasnt be found yet is becuase in the past there hasnt been anything to justify the time and money of R&D to find it. but now that companies will slowly start to see interest growing they will see the possible returns on their initial R&D investment

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:40 PM on j-body.org
I don't have any doubt that there will be something like that occur, however, putting the oil companies to task regarding that is a different story altogether.

It's currently like pulling teeth to get them to include 5% ethanol in their mix. They're pretty much flatly refusing the 25% by 2009 proposal in Canada.

Oil companies are not going to do anything that will threaten their bottom line until it becomes profitable to comply.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search