Alternative Fuel / Energy Conservation - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alternative Fuel / Energy Conservation
Monday, September 26, 2005 5:06 PM on j-body.org
Just to consolodate a few other threads, I'm starting this one,

Hybrid Vehicles: Link
Unleaded & Diesel: Link
Fuel out of Newspaper: Link

Okay... I'm going to post a few links here for a few different

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Re: Alternative Fuel / Energy Conservation
Monday, September 26, 2005 5:12 PM on j-body.org
DAMMIT!

I'm going to post a few different things that will provide a little more information, as well as some of the technologies acchilles' heels.

Monday, September 26, 2005 5:13 PM on j-body.org
Hydrogen Powered vehicles:
- Will be zero carbon emissions
- Light, and practical for inner city use
- Unknown long term effects on consumption (ideally it would go up)
- Limited infrastructure in the present.

A few links:

Stuart Energy-Hydrogen fueling stations/high volume electrolyser stations
GM HyWire Concept Vehicle
GM HyWire Hydrogen powered vehicle concept Paris AutoShow review

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 4:13 AM on j-body.org
Diesel Vehicles:
- Can run using several types of fuel (not sure about mixed in the same tank, cooking oil usually requires a heating element to keep it fluid).
- Can have greatly increased volumetric efficiency with Turbocharger/Supercharger or compound charging.
- Generally have little or no need for a catalytic converter (when running on non-petroleum base fuels), but may soon have a soot trap requirement.

EPA Diesel Fuel Information
HCCI Engine - Cooler burning diesel alternative.
Greasecar.com - Convert your Diesel to run on used cooking oil
Veggiegas.ca - Canadian Biodiesel site.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:11 AM on j-body.org
I think it is wonderful and wise to seek out new sources of energy.

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
http://www.ahmperformance.com
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:35 AM on j-body.org
I think it's a better idea to conserve what we have and limit the amount of consumption to only what is necessary.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:39 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I think it's a better idea to conserve what we have and limit the amount of consumption to only what is necessary.

Yes but that should be left up to each individual and not mandated by the government.

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:45 AM on j-body.org
True, and that would be a great idea if it weren't also true that most people have all the self-control of a perpetually horny spider monkey.

I don't think Government is the solution either, but maybe this market is forcing people to conserve a little more than they would have previously. The only thing worse than high fuel prices is people that think their rights are being infringed upon because of high fuel prices.

Drive less, drive responsibly, don't make excessive trips, and keep the car in good tune. It's not so hard, but then again, we don't know how good we had it until we lost it.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:05 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:True, and that would be a great idea if it weren't also true that most people have all the self-control of a perpetually horny spider monkey.

I don't think Government is the solution either, but maybe this market is forcing people to conserve a little more than they would have previously. The only thing worse than high fuel prices is people that think their rights are being infringed upon because of high fuel prices.

Drive less, drive responsibly, don't make excessive trips, and keep the car in good tune. It's not so hard, but then again, we don't know how good we had it until we lost it.

If they were followers of Jesus Christ, they would behave themselves and think of others. Are you seeing a pattern yet? Jesus IS in everything.

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:11 AM on j-body.org
Actually, I'm thinking of the SUV drivers that roll on into church wearing their sunday best, when walking a few hundred yards would be appropriate.

Piety and conservation may go hand in hand, but you'd never know it.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:16 AM on j-body.org
Chris Crossont wrote:If they were followers of Jesus Christ, they would behave themselves and think of others. Are you seeing a pattern yet? Jesus IS in everything.

Was he in the poop that came out my asss last night?

Quote:

Actually, I'm thinking of the SUV drivers that roll on into church wearing their sunday best, when walking a few hundred yards would be appropriate.

GAM don't forget about the Priests, Rerverends or Fathers rolling around in Escalades Hummers and Suburbans etc...

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:24 AM on j-body.org
Well, I know of one Priest that uses a Z-71 pickup from about 1994... he does however need it for the farm he helps tend... Other than that, I figure you can get by just fine with a regular sedan.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:36 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Actually, I'm thinking of the SUV drivers that roll on into church wearing their sunday best, when walking a few hundred yards would be appropriate.

I bought my new Crew Cab Silverado just for such occassions. Rolling in on my 2 door Z with a 7 and 3 year old wasn't cutting it anymore.

AAAAnd it's more like a 2 mile trek across major roads ;D

---

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:41 AM on j-body.org
lol... BASTARD!!!!

I think a Sedan would have been a better choice, but not mine to make ya know... I don't think God rates your car on the Heaven Entrance Exam.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:54 AM on j-body.org
heh well I needed a truck, too, see?

So a crew cub = sedan plus bed.

My wife and I still drive out Cavi's to and from work, if that makes you feel better

---

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:57 AM on j-body.org
i have never seen a priest reverened or father in a escalade hummer or suburban...

anyways

we could have avoided the situation we are in now YEARS ago, if the government/car companies wanted to. they could have been making 35+ mpg all gas cars the NORM.

"If we raise fuel efficiency standards in American cars by one mile per gallon, in one year, we would save twice the amount of oil that could be obtained from the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
Raising it by 2.7 mpg would save enough to eliminate all the oil imports from Iraq and Kuwait combined
Raising it by 7.6 mpg would save enough to eliminate 100% of our gulf oil imports into this country
Source: Environmental Attorney Robert F. Kennedy Jr. "

but since its a bit too late for that we have to figure out a way to quickly and drastically decrease our use of oil.

----------

personally i feel the best short to semi long term answer is biodiesel hybrids. and once those are rolling around getting 70+ mpg we can be working on things like hydrogen power

biodiesel hybrids can be made right now, since bio fuel can be ran on any regular diesel engine.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:01 AM on j-body.org
BIO DIESEL INFO:

What is Biodiesel?
Biodiesel is the name of a clean burning alternative fuel, produced from domestic, renewable resources. Biodiesel contains no petroleum, but it can be blended at any level with petroleum diesel to create a biodiesel blend. It can be used in compression-ignition (diesel) engines with little or no modifications. Biodiesel is simple to use, biodegradable, nontoxic, and essentially free of sulfur and aromatics.

Is Biodiesel the same thing as raw vegetable oil?
No! Biodiesel is produced from any fat or oil such as soybean oil, through a refinery process called transesterification. This process is a reaction of the oil with an alcohol to remove the glycerin, which is a by-product of biodiesel production. Fuel-grade biodiesel must be produced to strict industry specifications (ASTM D6751) in order to insure proper performance. Biodiesel is the only alternative fuel to have fully completed the health effects testing requirements of the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments. Biodiesel that meets ASTM D6751 and is legally registered with the Environmental Protection Agency is a legal motor fuel for sale and distribution. Raw vegetable oil cannot meet biodiesel fuel specifications, it is not registered with the EPA, and it is not a legal motor fuel.

For entities seeking to adopt a definition of biodiesel for purposes such as federal or state statute, state or national divisions of weights and measures, or for any other purpose, the official definition consistent with other federal and state laws and Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) guidelines is as follows:

Biodiesel is defined as mono-alkyl esters of long chain fatty acids derived from vegetable oils or animal fats which conform to ASTM D6751 specifications for use in diesel engines. Biodiesel refers to the pure fuel before blending with diesel fuel. Biodiesel blends are denoted as, "BXX" with "XX" representing the percentage of biodiesel contained in the blend (ie: B20 is 20% biodiesel, 80% petroleum diesel).

Is biodiesel used as a pure fuel or is it blended with petroleum diesel?
Biodiesel can be used as a pure fuel or blended with petroleum in any percentage. B20 (a blend of 20 percent by volume biodiesel with 80 percent by volume petroleum diesel) has demonstrated significant environmental benefits with a minimum increase in cost for fleet operations and other consumers.

Is it approved for use in the US?
Biodiesel is registered as a fuel and fuel additive with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and meets clean diesel standards established by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). Neat (100 percent) biodiesel has been designated as an alternative fuel by the Department of Energy (DOE) and the US Department of Transportation (DOT).

How do biodiesel emissions compare to petroleum diesel?
Biodiesel is the only alternative fuel to have fully completed the health effects testing requirements of the Clean Air Act. The use of biodiesel in a conventional diesel engine results in substantial reduction of unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and particulate matter compared to emissions from diesel fuel. In addition, the exhaust emissions of sulfur oxides and sulfates (major components of acid rain) from biodiesel are essentially eliminated compared to diesel.

Of the major exhaust pollutants, both unburned hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides are ozone or smog forming precursors. The use of biodiesel results in a substantial reduction of unburned hydrocarbons. Emissions of nitrogen oxides are either slightly reduced or slightly increased depending on the duty cycle of the engine and testing methods used. Based on engine testing, using the most stringent emissions testing protocols
required by EPA for certification of fuels or fuel additives in the US, the overall ozone forming potential of the speciated hydrocarbon emissions from biodiesel was nearly 50 percent less than that measured for diesel fuel.

Can biodiesel help mitigate “global warming”?
A 1998 biodiesel lifecycle study, jointly sponsored by the US Department of Energy and the US Department of Agriculture, concluded biodiesel reduces net CO˛ emissions by 78 percent compared to petroleum diesel. This is due to biodiesel’s closed carbon cycle. The CO˛ released into the atmosphere when biodiesel is burned is recycled by growing plants, which are later processed into fuel..Is biodiesel safer than petroleum diesel? Scientific research confirms that biodiesel exhaust has a less harmful impact on human health than petroleum diesel fuel. Biodiesel emissions have decreased levels of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) and nitrited PAH compounds that have been identified as potential cancer causing compounds. Test results indicate PAH compounds were reduced by 75 to 85 percent, with the exception of benzo(a)anthracene, which was reduced by roughly 50 percent. Targeted nPAH compounds were also reduced dramatically with biodiesel fuel, with 2-nitrofluorene and 1-nitropyrene reduced by 90 percent, and the rest of the nPAH compounds reduced to only trace levels.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:11 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Actually, I'm thinking of the SUV drivers that roll on into church wearing their sunday best, when walking a few hundred yards would be appropriate.

I can only speak for myself. I park fairly far away so that others can be closer such as those that may not walk as well as I do.

However, I have to drive to church because I am a little too far away to walk.

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:14 AM on j-body.org
spikej wrote:
Chris Crossont wrote:If they were followers of Jesus Christ, they would behave themselves and think of others. Are you seeing a pattern yet? Jesus IS in everything.

Was he in the poop that came out my asss last night?

Quote:

GAM don't forget about the Priests, Rerverends or Fathers rolling around in Escalades Hummers and Suburbans etc...

Ha-ha.....mock all you want. It is not me that will held accountable for that line.

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:16 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Well, I know of one Priest that uses a Z-71 pickup from about 1994... he does however need it for the farm he helps tend... Other than that, I figure you can get by just fine with a regular sedan.

I agree. Most people have vehicles that are way more than they need. I have customers that drive dually trucks and tow nothing. It is a waste of resources.

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:40 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

i have never seen a priest reverened or father in a escalade hummer or suburban...

I've seen a few around, One rolled up to a local bank and parked in the fire lane in a Blinged out Escalade. We've got another one around here that sowmehow finds a way to get a new Benz every couple of years.
Quote:

I have customers that drive dually trucks and tow nothing. It is a waste of resources.

That's one thing I can't figure out, Why buy it if you aren't going to use it? A coworker of my wife's bought an Excursion last year even though he only has a wife and 2 kids, he never used it for trips just driving around town but he sold it a couple of weeks ago after it costed him nearly $100 to fill the tank up for alot less than what he originally paid for it since not too many people don't want a gas guzzler these days.
Chris a peice of advice Don't post that somebody is going to hell for not believing in your religion in the war forum as Jbody4JC has done unless you want to be mocked alot. I respect your decision to believe, respect mine for not believing.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:50 AM on j-body.org
or in believing in something different. wanna talk about religion make ur own post about it.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:57 AM on j-body.org
spikej wrote:
Quote:

I've seen a few around, One rolled up to a local bank and parked in the fire lane in a Blinged out Escalade. We've got another one around here that sowmehow finds a way to get a new Benz every couple of years.
Quote:

I have customers that drive dually trucks and tow nothing. It is a waste of resources.

That's one thing I can't figure out, Why buy it if you aren't going to use it? A coworker of my wife's bought an Excursion last year even though he only has a wife and 2 kids, he never used it for trips just driving around town but he sold it a couple of weeks ago after it costed him nearly $100 to fill the tank up for alot less than what he originally paid for it since not too many people don't want a gas guzzler these days.
Chris a peice of advice Don't post that somebody is going to hell for not believing in your religion in the war forum as Jbody4JC has done unless you want to be mocked alot. I respect your decision to believe, respect mine for not believing.

Dear Spike,
Thank you for the advice but I do not care if I am mocked as I wear that as a badge of honor. Jesus said that I (and all other followers) would be mocked, hated, tortured, killed, etc.
As for JBody4JC, I see you must love that post he made as you have it on every one of your posts. I disagree with what he said by the way.

Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:08 AM on j-body.org
Actually an even larger problem that is related to thid although not seeming so from the casual observers is the cost of housing.

for example in the METRO DC area.

People that work in DC can't afford to live there.

DC workers Live in Montgomery County, Prince Georges, Etc... because their payrates can afford it

People who work in Montgomery County, Prince Georges, Etc... can't afford to live there.

Those who live in those areas can't afford to live there so they move to Frederick County because their payrates can afford it.

And finally those working in Frederick County have to move out to Hagerstown, and Washington County because they can't afford to live in Frederick.

So in all this increases the gas demand.

Thankfully I live in Frederick and have an apartment less than 4 miles away from work. I've figured that any job I get out of this are in say DC etc.. Would need to pay aprox 2,500-3,000+ a year after additional gas expenses, depreciation and meintenence of my car.

Me, I'd invest in BP, they seem to be leading the drive in alternative fuel sources.

-Chris

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:21 AM on j-body.org
IamRascal wrote:Actually an even larger problem that is related to thid although not seeming so from the casual observers is the cost of housing.

for example in the METRO DC area.

People that work in DC can't afford to live there.

DC workers Live in Montgomery County, Prince Georges, Etc... because their payrates can afford it

People who work in Montgomery County, Prince Georges, Etc... can't afford to live there.

Those who live in those areas can't afford to live there so they move to Frederick County because their payrates can afford it.

And finally those working in Frederick County have to move out to Hagerstown, and Washington County because they can't afford to live in Frederick.

So in all this increases the gas demand.

Thankfully I live in Frederick and have an apartment less than 4 miles away from work. I've figured that any job I get out of this are in say DC etc.. Would need to pay aprox 2,500-3,000+ a year after additional gas expenses, depreciation and meintenence of my car.

Me, I'd invest in BP, they seem to be leading the drive in alternative fuel sources.

YAAAYYY

someone else understands about housing prices and forced commutes!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search