What to do with New Orleans? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What to do with New Orleans?
Monday, September 26, 2005 8:52 PM on j-body.org
Hey guys, been lurking for a while and finally decided to post. Strangely though it’s not about my car so go figure. In less than a month’s time, New Orleans has been hit by Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita. The levies were breached with both storms and we still have a few months left for this year’s hurricane season. The majority of Federal, State and Local Officials say they want to rebuild the area. But a lot of the folks that lived there say they don’t want to move back.

The costs are estimated to be in the hundreds of billions of dollars and for what? Unless they build up and raise the city, they will still be below sea level. Even if they build the levies to withstand a category five storm, what’s to say the will really hold. Or, that you wont get another storm this year or next before they are rebuilt and the city floods again. While I have been there a few time and liked the city, I still have to wonder if it is the best thing to do. Some folks have said it be better to do away with the levies and let nature take back the area and see where the water ends up and rebuild then? I’m sure they will rebuild and I am sure another hurricane will hit the area. I only hope the tragedy doesn’t repeat it self.

What would you do?

Re: What to do with New Orleans?
Monday, September 26, 2005 8:59 PM on j-body.org
i agree with you they should just do away with the city, or build it about 40 feet above the ocean, i know i would never go back there, but after what i've heard on the radio about pres. bush cutting funding for those projects before this happened i want to kind of blame bush for it but i really don't like the guy,

i sure found it funny that he did nothing after katrina hit new orleans but as soon as there was a chance that rita could hit his home state of texas we had every military person who was left in america in texas ready to help, but thats just my view pt.
Monday, September 26, 2005 9:04 PM on j-body.org
At the risk of making this another Bush dropped the ball thread (there were lots of failures, regardless of where the buck stops): I think it'd be a good idea to rebuild, and this time make it damned well bulletproof.

If people don't want to go back, that's fine, the Government of LA can expropriate the land, pay them fair value, and it can be re-developed.

I say this because I have family that died in NO in the 1800's when it was being built up, and I don't want some namby pamby hurricane totalling their sacrifices.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 12:05 AM on j-body.org
But if there's no New Orleans, what'll we do about the TRUE Mardi Gras?

Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 3:55 AM on j-body.org
LOL... Mardi Gras is celebrated all over the Catholic & french speaking world.

True, the party is best in NO, but it never really goes into the poorer sections that I can remember.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 9:46 AM on j-body.org
I say just relocated New Orleans--to the nearest palce above sea level.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaði, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:21 AM on j-body.org
As an Engineer they can rebuild it but is the goverment will to put that amount of money in to New Orleans. It is not going to be cheap and it is going to take time they don't have. When this hurricane season ends they have less than a year before the next one and depending on the work some of it may just be destroyed again because it is not finished.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:27 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]I say just relocated New Orleans--to the nearest palce above sea level.

yep

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:34 AM on j-body.org
Humans deserve part of the blame as well, we @!#$ with the flow of the mississippi river and the Deltas that protected Lousiana from flooding were all but gone when Katrina struck. Parts of New Orleans can not be rebuilt due to the toxic sludge that has amassed there since it is a hazard to all life. I hope the gov't doesn't turn over historic National parklands to be developed but with Bush in power that doesn't stand a good chance.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:37 AM on j-body.org
The only purpose of new orleans is the Port that supports the grain trade. The are shoudl be made completly commercial with no residents.

Problem solved.

-Chris

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:14 PM on j-body.org
Bulldoze the whole damned place and let the river do whatever it wants to.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:21 PM on j-body.org
IamRascal wrote:The only purpose of new orleans is the Port that supports the grain trade. The are shoudl be made completly commercial with no residents.

Problem solved.

nailed it on the head....rebuild the port...@!#$ the rest

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:51 PM on j-body.org
Meh, I liked the old quarter. Great party town.

I figure it can be rebuilt, do it.

If it means that the ground will have to be de-contaminated, then fine.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:15 PM on j-body.org
i say ship em all to south america and turn new orleans into the 6th great lake

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:29 PM on j-body.org
I'd say to do it the smart way....

you put the port and anything not flood-critical back there. Then, you get rid of the channeling and sedimentation structures and let the Mississippi flow like it should to keep the delta built. Finally, you find nearby land that is *acrually* above flood levels and build there.

or build the town on stilts...just be smart about it.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:54 PM on j-body.org
anyone else notice tha the building on stilts had minor, to small damage. Everyone else got f'd

-Chris

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:04 PM on j-body.org
They should do what some of you are suggesting by building where its above sea level and at the same time they should clean up the area and use it for a military weapons/training area where they can come in, do their thing and leave! During hurricane season leave it deserted.
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:37 PM on j-body.org
What will they do with the toxic sludge? Everything that has been touched by the water needs to be cleaned. A friend of a friend had a house that was flooded. He said there is mold on all the walls were the water was. So you know that isn't one of those easy fixes. It seems like they are going to have to tear everything down and rebuild everything that was underwater.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:19 PM on j-body.org
Sell it back to the French!

1997 Sunfire
WAI
pacesetter header
Underdrive pulley = STILL SLOW.
50 shot of NX
Sunday, October 02, 2005 10:27 PM on j-body.org
Sell the rest of the oil refining capacity while you're at it.

There is a way to decontaminate the structures, but it's not cheap or easy. I think Keeper's got it about right, the flood delta isn't really worth rebuilding, just drain it, and exchange the soil with non-contaminated soil, and don't build there. That would depend on who will return... or how many more precisely.

I think the area is as good as bulldozed.

Monday, October 03, 2005 2:29 AM on j-body.org
America has too much pride to just throw something away....especially a city!

Look at 9/11, the terrorists knocked down the twin towers...they say "We will re-build and make it bigger!"

In my opinion, it is going to be alot of money (like said billions) and I'd hate to be the one to make that final decision as for what we would do with New Orleans.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:31 AM on j-body.org
thats diffrent.

you cant compair terriorism with a act of God.

Chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:43 AM on j-body.org
Did you SEE how much of NYC was levelled?
Could anyone have stopped either event?

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:54 AM on j-body.org
i'm not say9ing that There will be no more "nawlins", it should just be relocated to higher ground--that way the next time a cat-5 slams it we won't have the same issues.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Monday, October 03, 2005 11:33 AM on j-body.org
There were certainly some positive aspects of this tragedy...as a flash-point of discussion, it really fired us up as a nation. The displaced evacuees it flung far and wide may well escape the hopelessness that being in a poverty-stricken area can bring. That many of them do not wish to return is perhaps the best first step towards eliminating residential structures in such a precarious location.

Any building that was at least partially submerged is likely to be a write-off, with the exception of stone or steel buildings that can be stripped to the shell and refitted. As most of the residential buildings likely don't fit this category, and as most insurance will not cover floods anyway, the 'rebuilding' of residential areas seems like folly.

The inevitable government bailout will be what Bush said in his speech...homesteading. Taxpayers will finance the purchase of the devastated properties, with that money going to build new homes in stable areas for the displaced. This is a golden opportunity to end what was a situation that had to ultimately happen. If NO's residential areas that flooded are rebuilt at the same level, it will be a travesty.

Perhaps, someday, humans will stop building coastal cities. When you think about how unstable such regions really are, it's got to be just a matter of time before we, as a species, can admit that it was a colossal mistake to build them in the first place. After a few more Cat 5's and tsunamis, with some eathquakes tossed in the mix, maybe we will begin to understand just how fragile our huts are in the face of nature's awesome and unceasing efforts at coastal population control.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search