Judge Rules To Release Abu Ghraib Photos - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Judge Rules To Release Abu Ghraib Photos
Friday, September 30, 2005 6:04 PM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:
mikec2003 wrote:exactly gonzo, at least some of us understand that secrets are neccissary. if i had it my way nobody would have known about abu gharib because the media would not be in iraq. i hate media in iraq, theyre a hazard, they say stuff on the news that the enemy hears and exploits against us, they get in trouble and we have to save them, theyre not worth it, if iwas incharge the media would not be in iraq at all, because honestly, unless you have immediate family in iraq, why do you need to know exactly what we are doing there? you don't. and don't gimme that "im a taxpayer" excuse. if you don't like it, stop paying taxes

Thanks man, for the new sig.

yay, you make sigs by taking what others say out of context, good for you

you should read a little, and you'll know what i meant was that we wouldn't have known about it because the media would not have been in iraq, because the media is nothing but trouble over there

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)

Friday, September 30, 2005 6:07 PM on j-body.org
jackalope ( a.k.a. the prick ) wrote:We have admited fault we have disaplined the guilty parties and are looking for more.
The only think this is gonna do is cause ur guys and girls in uniform to have more s--t
to deal with over there, like they need more. This is a VERY bad idea and the pics should be, WHOOPS! lost !!!! This needs to allowed to die and go away not to be kept dreging it up just when things start to go away from the first time these things came up.
LET IT GO ! nothing good will come from this nothing at all.

exactly, thats basically what i was trying to say all along, nothing good will come of any of this crap

Hail Satan

Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:34 PM on j-body.org
jackalope ( a.k.a. the prick ) wrote:We have admited fault we have disaplined the guilty parties and are looking for more. The only think this is gonna do is cause ur guys and girls in uniform to have more s--t to deal with over there, like they need more. This is a VERY bad idea and the pics should be, WHOOPS! lost !!!! This needs to allowed to die and go away not to be kept dreging it up just when things start to go away from the first time these things came up. LET IT GO ! nothing good will come from this nothing at all.

Jack: you really have to understand that "losing" the information is going to be seen as a cover-up. Anything other than full disclosure is going to enflame the sensibilities of any Arab that has a moadicum of an axe to grind with the US.

If you don't OWN the problem, you can't FIX the problem.

Mike:
By that reasoning, apparently:
German Stalag's that were in horrid conditions and routinely held mass executions of POW's in the later part of WWII... No-one needs to know about them, right?
Russian Gulag's where prisoners were routinely starved to death or frozen... let's not hear about that...
Chinese/pacific Islands villages where the Japanese would overrun the village and use women as rape dolls and give them the title of "comfort women"... no need to know about that eh?
or, Vietnam's Hanoi Hilton... meh... it wasn't worth knowing about.

Covering up Abu Ghraib would have been another rally-cry for martyrs. If you deprive them of the idealogical fuel (ie, the West is evil, and this is just another instance), they'll lose steam. It also puts the troops that are there on a higher standing ground, because they know they have to be utterly meticulous about their work, and that they're not there to "stick it to the ragheads" but they're there for a greater purpose.

The best way to deal with Abu Ghraib is to LEARN from it, and make sure that the conditions that led to what happened there do not arise again.

For the prisoners there, I'll say that they can have their faces covered, and they can be looked after with a cash payout and an apology... The same as what would happen if the mess had happened on US soil.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:47 PM on j-body.org
ok ok, i didn't mean that we shold never know what happened, i meant that we shouldn't have known, just because of the fact that we should't have media in iraq. all they do is impede the military's mission, they get in the way, get in trouble, and we have to risk our necks to save them.

people should know what happened, but we shouldn't have media over there in iraq,

Hail Satan

Saturday, October 01, 2005 3:08 PM on j-body.org
hrm.. well, people have a right to know.

It goes a lot to the allusion (not illusion) that the military & government is above board and transparent. There were reporters to the civil war... As long as they're not divulging things covered under opsec during an operation it's a good thing to know. I don't see the problem in airing out the things that are wrong as well as trumpeting those that are right. You're not GOD just because you have to watch over people that are imprisoned.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:46 PM on j-body.org
Torture & Truth

If you want some of the story of what happened.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search