Moral poverty cost blacks in New Orleans - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Moral poverty cost blacks in New Orleans
Sunday, October 09, 2005 8:09 AM on j-body.org
A little over the top, but some good points.

Quote:

Moral poverty cost blacks in New Orleans
By Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson

Guest Commentary » September 30, 2005

Say a hurricane is about to destroy the city you live in. Two questions:

1. What would you do?
2. What would you do if you were black?

Sadly, the two questions don’t have the same answer.

To the first: Most of us would take our families out of that city quickly to protect them from danger. Then, able-bodied men would return to help others in need, as wives and others cared for children, elderly, infirm and the like.

For better or worse, Hurricane Katrina has told us the answer to the second question. If you’re black and a hurricane is about to destroy your city, then you’ll probably wait for the government to save you.

This was not always the case. Prior to 40 years ago, such a pathetic performance by the black community in a time of crisis would have been inconceivable. The first response would have come from black men. They would take care of their families, bring them to safety, and then help the rest of the community. Then local government would come in.

No longer. When 75 percent of New Orleans residents had left the city, it was primarily immoral, welfare-pampered blacks that stayed behind and waited for the government to bail them out. This, as we know, did not turn out good results.

Enter Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan. Jackson and Farrakhan laid blame on “racist” President Bush. Farrakhan actually proposed the idea that the government blew up a levee so as to kill blacks and save whites. The two demanded massive governmental spending to rebuild New Orleans, above and beyond the federal government’s proposed $60 billion. Not only that, these two were positioning themselves as the gatekeepers to supervise the dispersion of funds. Perfect: Two of the most dishonest elite blacks in America, “overseeing” billions of dollars. I wonder where that money will end up.

Of course, if these two were really serious about laying blame on government, they should blame the local one. Responsibility to perform – legally and practically – fell first on the mayor of New Orleans. We are now all familiar with Mayor Ray Nagin – the black Democrat who likes to yell at President Bush for failing to do Nagin’s job. The facts, unfortunately, do not support Nagin’s wailing. As the Washington Times puts it, “recent reports show [Nagin] failed to follow through on his own city’s emergency-response plan, which acknowledged that thousands of the city’s poorest residents would have no way to evacuate the city.”

One wonders how there was “no way” for these people to evacuate the city. We have photographic evidence telling us otherwise. You’ve probably seen it by now – the photo showing 200 parked school buses, unused and underwater. How much planning does it require to put people on a bus and leave town, Mayor Nagin?

Instead of doing the obvious, Mayor Nagin (with no positive contribution from Democratic Gov. Kathleen Blanco, the other major leader vested with responsibility to address the hurricane disaster) loaded remaining New Orleans residents into the Superdome and the city’s convention center. We know how that plan turned out.

About five years ago, in a debate before the National Association of Black Journalists, I stated that if whites were to just leave the United States and let blacks run the country, they would turn America into a ghetto within 10 years. The audience, shall we say, disagreed with me strongly. Now I have to disagree with me. I gave blacks too much credit. It took a mere three days for blacks to turn the Superdome and the convention center into ghettos, rampant with theft, rape and murder.

President Bush is not to blame for the rampant immorality of blacks. Had New Orleans’ black community taken action, most would have been out of harm’s way. But most were too lazy, immoral and trifling to do anything productive for themselves.

All Americans must tell blacks this truth. It was blacks’ moral poverty – not their material poverty – that cost them dearly in New Orleans. Farrakhan, Jackson, and other race hustlers are to be repudiated – they will only perpetuate this problem by stirring up hatred and applauding moral corruption. New Orleans, to the extent it is to be rebuilt, should be remade into a dependency-free, morally strong city where corruption is opposed and success is applauded. Blacks are obligated to help themselves and not depend on the government to care for them. We are all obligated to tell them so.

The Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson is founder and president of BOND, the Brotherhood Organization of A New Destiny, and author of “Scam: How the Black Leadership Exploits Black America.”

Re: Moral poverty cost blacks in New Orleans
Sunday, October 09, 2005 3:03 PM on j-body.org
Some of the points were deff valid but some seemed to be from a KKK member. I've seen poverty first hand from where I grew up and I can tell you its just not blacks that are on welfair its whites too and they both equalty destroy damn near everything they touch. My thoughts are that they have nothing so they don't care about anything. They're so used to getting everything handed to them that they just don't care. I do not want to hear about oh the poor poor people they need our help, BS I grew up poor as s--t went to bed hunger more then once but I went to school and educated myself thru grants I was able to go to college and now I own a nice big house and 2 new cars and don't have to worry if I'm gonna have enough to feed my kids. Who helped me? I helped me
if noone wants out you'll never get out. this is why I don't feel one little bit sorry for anyone in there sitchuation because the only people they have to blame is themselves.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Sunday, October 09, 2005 9:23 PM on j-body.org
i thought it might of been George Bushs fault

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, October 10, 2005 7:57 AM on j-body.org
Yes cause we all know Bush made those people stay in there homes instead of leaveing. Just like we know it was all Bushes fault the hurricain hit there in the first place.

Monday, October 10, 2005 8:39 AM on j-body.org
i won't comment fully on this as i don't wish to be labeled a racist(as i am not)..everyone knows what's going on, some just choose to look past it..

Monday, October 10, 2005 10:03 AM on j-body.org
and some get caught up in the trifles and miss the big picture.

What happened? We tried to control nature becuase of a slight inconvenience, and nature showd us that we're her bitch, not vice-versa...

I don't think it mattered how much melanin you have in your skin. @!#$s are @!#$s,

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, October 10, 2005 12:52 PM on j-body.org
A few points..

The evacuation order was only issued a day before the hurricane hit. We've been through this already on this board. When you're poor w/no car, and the government says safety can be found in the Superdome, you do that. What's so hard to comprehend about that?

This guy DOES have some good points, but this essay, like all the others, is riddled with big WTF's along side his points. Google him.

Good point - Jesse Jackson and Louis F. are wacked, and I'd hate for them to be my self-appointed leader.

I don't know about all this pampered-on-welfare crap. Welfare is limited to 2 years, how come Republicans keep forgetting this? It's your law!! And it's still just a little bit of money, even with kids boosting the amount. Life on welfare...well... sucks ass.

Quote:

It took a mere three days for blacks to turn the Superdome and the convention center into ghettos, rampant with theft, rape and murder.

Apparently he doesn't read the news, and is supremely ill-informed...
Published Sep 14th:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&q=katrina+truth+site%3Alatimes&btnG=Search+News

16 days before this essay was written.

---

Monday, October 10, 2005 1:13 PM on j-body.org
The guy that wrote this is black, probably not in the KKK.
Here's his bio

Quote:

I don't know about all this pampered-on-welfare crap. Welfare is limited to 2 years, how come Republicans keep forgetting this? It's your law!! And it's still just a little bit of money, even with kids boosting the amount. Life on welfare...well... sucks ass.

How could sitting home all day while people who actually work for their money AND support you suck? If it were up to me welfare would NEVER pay people more then a 40 hour a week minimum wage job, regardless of how many kids you happen to pop out. You want more? GET A JOB!!

Monday, October 10, 2005 2:23 PM on j-body.org
zero wrote:
How could sitting home all day while people who actually work for their money AND support you suck?

Because you don't get that much. My brother in law was getting $1300 in pay every two weeks in San Diego, and when he relocated here to Fresno they offered him $400 every two weeks. Ghetto apartments in Fresno are $550.

Minimum wage is $540 a month. Maybe liberal California is better at welfare than your Ohio, eh?

---

Monday, October 10, 2005 5:03 PM on j-body.org
Didn't know the dude was black I just thought some of the stuff he was saying was a little too harsh and painted all blacks as a problem and they're not. Its not only blacks
that are like this but most poor people. I've been poor and I know of what I speak. I've seen poor whites destroy nice new welfair neiborhoods as well as any blacks can.
Its not a race issue its a class issue, and unfortunatly most poor have no class. True
there is a rare exception now and again but the majority of them are this way. And why if they're sooo poor and couldn't leave till someone from the govt. came to get them was there cars in damn near every single pic of the people getting plucked off roofs?
Hmmm?? They couldn't leave, BULL SH-T they thought they could cheat fate one more time and refused to leave. They got what they deserved ALL OF THEM. If they drowned Oh well who fault was it ? THERE OWN! NOONE made them stay, If I had no car and knew a hurrican like that was coming I would start walking with my family
That ia what a responcible man would do not just sit there and wait for it like a moron.
Hey look at it this way less poor welfair people out there for us hard working people to support. Sounds harsh huh but hey they have noone to blame but themselves.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 2:11 AM on j-body.org
The man has a point.

Frankly, I'd love to see Jesse Jackson's head on a pole. Everytime something happens that jackass is there screaming racism. Funny how the only racist is the one preaching it.

Josh
SLK 32

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 2:28 AM on j-body.org
zero wrote:The guy that wrote this is black, probably not in the KKK.
Here's his bio

Quote:

How could sitting home all day while people who actually work for their money AND support you suck? If it were up to me welfare would NEVER pay people more then a 40 hour a week minimum wage job, regardless of how many kids you happen to pop out. You want more? GET A JOB!!

Believe it or not, Blacks can put down Blacks as well and it happends alot.

As far as your statement with people not working while on welfare...that's not necessarily true. Depending on the state, you HAVE to work in order to get some type of help.

Now, the thing that pisses me off is that people see a ton of black people and say "They are on welfare" "They are poor" "They are this they are that...bla bla bla" when in reality, they don't know them, don't know their situation and don't know where they come from. Yes, some were poor and others DIDN'T want to leave New Orleans and like said before, they were told that shelter was there for them at the Superdome.

Now, I just love how this guy paints all whites to being responsible and sensible enough to leave their homes because they just knew exactly what was going to happen....that's just stupid and ignorant. If you looked at the news, people of different cultures and races didn't want to leave their homes and you saw them on roof tops asking for help or in the water asking for help.

People are too damn quick to judge others by their skin, even if the people are of the same skin color. It's sad to say that but it's true...there are alot of blacks out there who don't expect much out of other blacks and as soon as something like this happends or a riot happends, here they go with flapping their gums about "Blacks this" and "Blacks that".

Also, Jesse Jackson might be a media whore but he is not a bad person. Heck, he even went to another country and brought back Americans that were being held.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 3:16 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:
zero wrote:
How could sitting home all day while people who actually work for their money AND support you suck?

Because you don't get that much. My brother in law was getting $1300 in pay every two weeks in San Diego, and when he relocated here to Fresno they offered him $400 every two weeks. Ghetto apartments in Fresno are $550.

Minimum wage is $540 a month. Maybe liberal California is better at welfare than your Ohio, eh?

$2600 a month to sleep till noon then he drops to $800 a month to sleep till noon?! Thats money coming out of the taxes that I and everyone else that gets up every morning to go to work pay. What's wrong with people actually getting up and going to work? Why do we need to have a system where someone can collect money they didn't earn and get a raise just for popping out another kid? It's not like that in the real world.
Quote:

Believe it or not, Blacks can put down Blacks as well and it happends alot.
As far as your statement with people not working while on welfare...that's not necessarily true. Depending on the state, you HAVE to work in order to get some type of help.

I'm well aware of both of these statements. I was just pointing out that the person that wrote that article was black. I think that expecting people to work for their welfare is a step in the right direction, no we need to eliminate welfare altogether.
Welfare and lazy people aren't a black thing. There's plenty of lazy white people, too.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 4:23 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

no we need to eliminate welfare altogether.
Welfare and lazy people aren't a black thing. There's plenty of lazy white people, too.

Yeah I can see you being angry but in all honesty, it's easy to say to someone "get a job" than to actually get a job. Actually, jobs are hard to find now and days, especially if you aren't educated or have a college degree. Heck, my sister has 2 degrees in college and can't get a job. Fact is, not everyone who is on welfare is lazy and there are people who need it. There are mothers with 2 kids who have no support because their ex husband left them stranded...I mean ish happends.

My mom was getting food stamps at one point and we were homeless twice, yes, a long time ago but times get hard and you go through rough situations. This is when welfare helps people.

As far as tax dollars go, I could careless where it goes cause honeslty, they could say it's going one place and it's not...we wouldn't know and the government will take the money out no matter what and send it where they want it to go.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 4:51 AM on j-body.org
Hey Killa I said alot of the sae things as you just did. i think its complete BS how race gets thrown around for stuff like this, Race was not an issue it was the people not leaveing. Thats not race its stupidity.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 8:40 AM on j-body.org
First of all, I'm tired of this huge assumption that all these people were welfare-sucking poor people. You have no idea. It *IS* racist to assume so.

zero wrote:
$2600 a month to sleep till noon then he drops to $800 a month to sleep till noon?! Thats money coming out of the taxes that I and everyone else that gets up every morning to go to work pay. What's wrong with people actually getting up and going to work? Why do we need to have a system where someone can collect money they didn't earn and get a raise just for popping out another kid? It's not like that in the real world.

I said he was getting $1300 twice monthly in PAY in San Diego, not welfare. He's a certified GM mechanic. He put himself through college and GM training with no mother or father to help him. To assume he slept till noon is the butt-opposite of his work ethic.

He moved to Fresno to be with his only real family, his sister, my wife. California allows you to get welfare when you relocate. They offered him $800 a month. See, all us liberals here in California have a higher minimum wage than the rest of you. I know you Republicans want to pay people $3 an hour, then bitch when people don't want to leave welfare. Because you know, it'll put small businesses out of business (which it didn't). Makes lots of sense!

/dripping sarcasm

Quote:

no we need to eliminate welfare altogether.

That's completely, utterly retarded. Especially with no alternative given for those who simply can't get a job, no matter their work ethic or education level.

---

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 8:40 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:Hey Killa I said alot of the sae things as you just did. i think its complete BS how race gets thrown around for stuff like this, Race was not an issue it was the people not leaveing. Thats not race its stupidity.

So all those people in the Superdome are stupid?

---

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 9:48 AM on j-body.org
I'm actually kinda sick of the race card getting thrown around...seriously, if you would lay Agustin, NJHK, and myself by the heels and skin us all alive to make funny hats out of our hides, we'd all bleed the same and scream in the torture. You fire a crossbow into each of ourhearts we all die the same. you Cleave our skull with an axe and move it around we wll all twitch the same post-mortem.

Just because someone gets most of their skin-genetics from ancestors that lived in sunnier places, as opposed to sun-less places, doesn't mean diddly squat--judge a person based upon a person, not based upon what they look like, for smeg's sake!

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:20 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:
That's completely, utterly retarded. Especially with no alternative given for those who simply can't get a job, no matter their work ethic or education level.

Why can't they get a job if they wanted to? The only people who can't get a job are people who have some form of handicap that won't allow them to work. We have social security for them, they need a helping hand. It's not that hard to find a job if you try, I have two jobs just to show off

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:27 AM on j-body.org
I just wanted to point out that the author was not talking about people who chose to stay in NO, he was talking about those who sat and waited to be evacuated while the rest got off their ass and tried to leave. If I was there, and had no car and no money, and no shelter that was going to make it., I would still have my feet and 48 hours to make some distance. I figure I could have walked from the cat4 landfall into tropical storm territory (not that far, but far enough to survive) and maybe found shelter. I know for a fact I would not sit and wait for any government help. It's a given that Gov help is slow, inefficient and usually comes with strings attached.

I will not comment on the whole race thing except to say that all races come in all shapes and sizes with various ethics and morals.. Race is not an influencing factor on morality, environment is. Social-economic factors are what lead the poorest people in the area being predominatly black and feeling helpless. Remember that when you are constantly told that you are no good, you end up no good. If you tell a lie enough times, it becomes the truth.

PAX
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:31 AM on j-body.org
zero wrote:
AGuSTiN wrote:

Why can't they get a job if they wanted to? The only people who can't get a job are people who have some form of handicap that won't allow them to work. We have social security for them, they need a helping hand. It's not that hard to find a job if you try, I have two jobs just to show off

Because in a lot of places there JUST AREN'T JOBS. Why is this so hard to understand? What lala land do you live in?

You hear about companies laying off tens of thousands of works all the time. Do you think in places like those there are just ten thousand jobs just waiting to be had? The auto industry, the steel industry, the tech industry, etc etc have all done this countless times. What is your alternative solution for those situations?

You freakin live in Ohio! Have you even been to Cleveland?! You apparently need to talk to your parents about your state's own past re: massive layoffs.

And in NO, the average income for a WORKING household was only $8000 a year! So even if there ARE jobs, sometimes those jobs suck.

---

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 11:47 AM on j-body.org
zero wrote:
AGuSTiN wrote:

Now, let me lay something out for you here. I just got layed off from my work, again, because the Information Technology business is struggling. Therefor I am attempting to collect unemployment. Now, with the amount of money I get from the state of FL versus the amount I would get at a "normal Florida job", aka RETAIL HELL, I lose money by taking the piddly job. So now, like you say, I get 2 jobs, work 65-80 hours a week, have no time for my family nor for myself. This seems a bit unhealthy...

Now, I believe I will sit on my ass looking for a job everyday and then go out and place applications at places that I know can pay my bills.

LUCKILY, I am waiting for a security clearance to come thru and I may a job.

$22.00 hour (possibly contract) or $6.50 (Wal Mart, Target, Publix, Winn Dixie, etc etc etc etc hour? What would you choose?

Josh
SLK 32

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 1:55 PM on j-body.org
No AGuSTiN the people in the superdome at least evacuated like they were told to.
I'm referring to all the idiots who stayed in there homes and waited for the water to come. They got what they deserved. If your too dumb to run when someone yells run and you see all your neibhors running and they tell you to come on but you decide to stay then tough you should have drowned.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 2:03 PM on j-body.org
oh ok then I'm not going to argue there. I never understood that myself.

---

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 3:02 PM on j-body.org
My brother in law was getting $1300 in pay every two weeks in San Diego

Active duty Air force, 5 years in..i pull in 1600 a month...

who's on welfare?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search