Moral poverty cost blacks in New Orleans - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Moral poverty cost blacks in New Orleans
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 3:03 PM on j-body.org
^^ I dont understand your question.

---

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 3:32 PM on j-body.org
That is true, but you also get a nice penny for BAH and BAS. On base or off base, regardless. Neither of those are taxable income.

Josh
SLK 32

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 5:44 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:I just wanted to point out that the author was not talking about people who chose to stay in NO, he was talking about those who sat and waited to be evacuated while the rest got off their ass and tried to leave. If I was there, and had no car and no money, and no shelter that was going to make it., I would still have my feet and 48 hours to make some distance. I figure I could have walked from the cat4 landfall into tropical storm territory (not that far, but far enough to survive) and maybe found shelter. I know for a fact I would not sit and wait for any government help. It's a given that Gov help is slow, inefficient and usually comes with strings attached.

I will not comment on the whole race thing except to say that all races come in all shapes and sizes with various ethics and morals.. Race is not an influencing factor on morality, environment is. Social-economic factors are what lead the poorest people in the area being predominatly black and feeling helpless. Remember that when you are constantly told that you are no good, you end up no good. If you tell a lie enough times, it becomes the truth.

PAX

Ok, I'm going to repeat what has been said over and over. The city of New Orleans said that there is shelter for people at the superdome and to go there. That doesn't make them lazy, that is just their option and choice to go there and frankly we don't know them or know what they were thinking. No one imagined this would happen like it did.

Now, saying that people should have walked out the city...ok...let me ask you, where would they? With what money? Start walking long distances with their families, fine, do you have food or water for your children? I mean people are too quick to say "they are lazy" or "I would have left the city" or "start walking out of there" when really you don't know any of them. Also to add, MOST OF THE CITY WAS FLOODED OUT! I mean, it even took help a long time to get through.

In all reality, no one here should say what they would have done or what they should have done and no one here should assume peoples situations or what kind of people they were because no one here doesn't know them and no one knows everyones situation. (Not directed at one person) Quit acting like you know everything about the situation because for the most part everyone knows just what the media tells them. If news stations weren't in New Orleans, most of the US wouldn't know about what was going on.

That is all...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 6:57 PM on j-body.org
I didn't call anyone lazy and I only said what I would do. Well, I did say "got off their ass" and I guess that kinda infers lazy. I didn't really mean that in such a tone. Anyway, those who sought shelter in the dome trusted in their local government, like they should be able to, but cramming that many people into a confined space like that is a recipe for disaster, then cut the power and the water...

Anyway, sorry if I offended, I was really saying what I would have done. I am generally distrustful of large gatherings of people and will avoid a crowd at all costs, so I know there's no way I would have gone to either of the "shelter" locations offered by the city.

You're right though, until I've actually walked a mile in someone's shoes I have no idea what circumstance lead them to their unfortunate reality. I should be more considerate.

PAX
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 12:03 PM on j-body.org
Um Killa I don't think anyone said the people in the dome were stupid. I know I said the ones that refused to leave there homes or didn't even make an atempt to leave got what they deserved and I'm not gonna change that statement. The people who did what they were told and evacuated deserved all the help we can give them, The ones who thought it wouldn't happen to them or that they were too bad ass to have to leave got exactly what they had coming and I don't feel one bit sorry for them.

But to answer your question YES if I knew something like that was comeing and I had no means of transporting myself or my family I would have started them walking with
whatever we could carry in backpacks and I would have made damn sure that my family was safe and on high ground before that hurrican hit. They had what 3 or 4
DAYS warning? You can walk a long ass way in 3 or 4 days even with kids. They need to stop crying and sack up and relize they have NOONE to blame but themselves.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 12:53 PM on j-body.org
JAck: until you're in the situation where a city HAS to be Evac'ed, I'd not be quick with the judgments. Again, telling someone to get out is all well and good, but a lot don't have any place to go, and most had family in NOLA, and not much anywhere else.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 1:05 PM on j-body.org
Gam I understand that but when they tell you run for the hills and you stand there going
"duh" then how can you expect any pitty?

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 2:56 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Gam I understand that but when they tell you run for the hills and you stand there going
I sat in traffic for 15 hours evacuating from Rita. The thoughts of turning back home (Seabrook/Texas City) came to mind quite often. I have a friend who is an EMT that worked the Thursday 24 hour rotation who saw quite a few things when she was there FIRST HAND! The problem with many of you in this thread is exactly what GAM said...hardly any, possibly NONE have been in this type of situation so it's very easy to speak on what you would do.

Nobody knows what was going through the minds of those who chose to stay. You cannot call them stupid, or anything of the sort given the fact that you can only speculate on the ENTIRE situation. "I would do this if I were in your shoes"....fact is you aren't, and until you finally are, you'll still remain unaware of all the thigns that can go on during an episode like Katrina and Rita to influence behavior and choices that these people made.

"Speak the truth, and leave immediately after"
"The urge to save Humanity is almost ALWAYS a false front for the urge to rule"
"He who knoweth things as they are and not as they are said or seem to be, he truly is wise, and is taught of God more than of men."
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 3:19 PM on j-body.org
Chamillionaire wrote:
Quote:

I sat in traffic for 15 hours evacuating from Rita. The thoughts of turning back home (Seabrook/Texas City) came to mind quite often. I have a friend who is an EMT that worked the Thursday 24 hour rotation who saw quite a few things when she was there FIRST HAND! The problem with many of you in this thread is exactly what GAM said...hardly any, possibly NONE have been in this type of situation so it's very easy to speak on what you would do.

Nobody knows what was going through the minds of those who chose to stay. You cannot call them stupid, or anything of the sort given the fact that you can only speculate on the ENTIRE situation. "I would do this if I were in your shoes"....fact is you aren't, and until you finally are, you'll still remain unaware of all the thigns that can go on during an episode like Katrina and Rita to influence behavior and choices that these people made.

Well said

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:39 PM on j-body.org
Jack: Where do you go when you've got no where to go, and no way to get there?

Most of the people in NOLA went to the Superdome, and we know that it was okay temporarily, but it's not a long term solution.

These people (even the ones that rode out the storm in their homes, whatever the reason) were doing so, and I'm willing to bet they were damned well informed (last time there was an ice storm that was going to cause problems, police passed by 2-3 times in 3 days to see if everyone in the house was okay) and chose to ride out the storm anyway...

I don't think the people stuck in the Superdome were giving the :"duh" signals, they did what they were told! Even the people that stayed in their homes... I don't think they want pity, if they needed a lift out of their homes for whatever reason, that's what had to be done. Even at this point, I think that assuming that the people that stayed were too stupid to run, or are whining for help is more than a little presumtuous.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 10:01 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

I'm well aware of both of these statements. I was just pointing out that the person that wrote that article was black. I think that expecting people to work for their welfare is a step in the right direction, no we need to eliminate welfare altogether.

The only people that should be on welfare are the widows and dependents of fallen soldiers.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 4:46 AM on j-body.org
I disagree. Sometimes people find themselves out of work and out of money. They need some help because of the simple fact that when people get desperate, some will turn to crime. Those who abuse the system, never look for work, make bogus claims, have more than one address etc. should be jailed and cut off from support. I'm willing to bet that for every cheater there are 10 people who really needed it, don't want to be on it, and are trying to either get work or get an education. Everyone's taxes go into it, and every tax payer should be able to collect if they can show a need. It;'s a stop-gap measure and should be treated as such.

PAX
Thursday, October 13, 2005 6:00 AM on j-body.org
Never said it would be easy but like Chamillionare said HE evacuated. See hes a smart one, But you dont just stand there. And yes I have had to evacuate before, True it wasn't my whole city but it was my whole division and we had to do it more then once and sometimes during a sandstorm or at night. So Boo Hoo cry me a river. They stayed, They died, There fault. sorry if it makes me sound like a dick but like I said they had how much warning? Theres NO REASON that that place couldn't have been 100% emptied. And if the local govt. can't help you then you need to help yoursevles.
I think this is one of the biggest problems we face now days. Not being able to take responcibility for yourself. Why do you expect the govt. to do everything for you? Why should the govt. do everything for you? I think its funny all of you bitch and complain
that the govt. stickes its nose into our personal lives too much but when the time comes for you to help yourselves or DIE. THEN you want the govt. to hold your hand and and do everything for you, You all are a trip!! Look its sad that people died but in the end whos fault was it? The Mayor ? The Goverenor ? Oh I know ! The President !
Grow up and take responcibility for yourselves !!! I have plans in place so that if anything happens I can get my family out. Any responcible man would.

I'm glad that Texas didn't get nailed as bad but you know what? I bet you a weeks paycheck that if it had been there still would have been less dead. Why? Because the people listened and got the hell out of dodge thats why. New Orleans residents
SHOULD have done the same and maybe just maybe there wouldn' be so many dead right now.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 6:38 AM on j-body.org
Gam sorry I didn't address you in my previous post. WHOOPS !! Anyway If you re-read my prior posts I said that the people in the dome did what they were told to and
they were helped. I was referring to the ones who CHOSE to stay behind. Not the ones that couldn't leave, elderly , wheel chair bound, etc.... , I'm not an ass I just feel no pity for those who stood there and let themselves die.

Hope this clears that up.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 9:27 AM on j-body.org
After the devestation of Pensacola with a hellacious storm, wouldn't you think people would be bright enough to leave when they have a storm estimated at 175mph winds rolling their way? I find it hard to believe people did not see the pictures from Pensacola, considering it was all over the news.

Therefor, for these people to sit back and say "It's just a storm, we will be ok.", I feel no pity. The storm landed as a Cat 3/4 (don't remember) in a city known to be below sea level and prompt to flood.

Just look at the damage over in Mississippi as well. I had a friend, which happens to be a once-JBO member, lose everything except his car. He also had to be rescued by rooftop.

Josh
SLK 32

Thursday, October 13, 2005 11:48 AM on j-body.org
Thats kinda what I've been getting at Whore but apparently I'm a big meanie for saying it. But I agree with you 100%.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 3:29 PM on j-body.org
Yea, here in the US of A you have to deal with the softy's. Good example:

John Doe put a gun to his wifes head and pulled the trigger on national TV.

John Doe goes to trial. They propose the death penalty, but people scream "That's inhumane!" Dont' do that! So, for the sake of a arguement he gets the death penalty. Now, he will probably sit on death row for the next 20 years going thru appeals.

Why not just put a $.23 bullet in his head instead of us paying for it? Eye for an eye baby.

I guess we are too "inhumane" Jackalope. Pity people with stupidity? I think not.

Josh
SLK 32

Thursday, October 13, 2005 5:12 PM on j-body.org
Oh my God !!!! Someone who I can relate to !!!! WOOO HOOO !!!!! I thought I was the only one who felt like that.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 5:20 PM on j-body.org
OFF TOPIC: Hit me on AIM or Yahoo Jack: LemonYellowCavy on both

Josh
SLK 32

Thursday, October 13, 2005 5:26 PM on j-body.org
/\ /\ /\ Just E-mail me I'm no good at computers.

Friday, October 14, 2005 4:50 AM on j-body.org
Whore wrote:Yea, here in the US of A you have to deal with the softy's. Good example:

John Doe put a gun to his wifes head and pulled the trigger on national TV.

John Doe goes to trial. They propose the death penalty, but people scream "That's inhumane!" Dont' do that! So, for the sake of a arguement he gets the death penalty. Now, he will probably sit on death row for the next 20 years going thru appeals.

Why not just put a $.23 bullet in his head instead of us paying for it? Eye for an eye baby.

I guess we are too "inhumane" Jackalope. Pity people with stupidity? I think not.

I also agree. 3 in this boat. I honestly wish we could live like the samurai did hundreds of years ago, before they were eventually outlawed by the japanese gov. in the 1870s. i wish we could settle disputes and honor issues with duels. seriously, if someone tries to break into my house, insults my family or honor, i kill them, with my katana. americans would scream "WHAT?!?! You cant go around killing people like that, half the population would be wiped out! Crime would be rampant!"
I doubt it. I think it'd teach everyone to act morally and responsibly, and above all, show respect to someone you have never met. instead of looking at them with an attitude, you'd bow, as you never knew if he would consider your disrespect as a challenge to his/her honor. i think within a month of administering this law, america would learn real quick to be moral.

just my thoughts. yes, new orleans was a tragedy. im sorry people were killed, especially helpless, innocent ones. however, that grief is quickly washed away by the layer of sh*t that happened with the looting, rapes, murders, etc. by the people who stayed. makes me sick to my stomach. and yes, jackalope, id be walking side by side with you, with my fiancee and my dog and two cats, for nowhere in particlular, if certain death was coming for us. i am a great fighter, and dont fear losing my life, but would never jeaopardize the lives and honor of my fiancee and loved ones by staying with a bunch of animals in a devastated city. (by this, im refering to the people who stayed and proceded to commit crime).

funny thing is, my father, who is from taiwan, recalled of a similar incident that happened in taiwan in 1999. a natural disaster struck the island, wiping out an entire city, killing thousands of people. there was no electricity, no...well anything. without immediate government aid (they couldnt get their INSTANTLY, throught the rubble, obviously), the people took action, formed rescue groups, and proceded to make plans to go from area to area to free the helpless, provided medical aid, etc. virtually NO crime. this was not an issue in the slightest, as less than 10 or so arrests were made.(please forgive, i am paraphrasing the best i could, after speaking with my father about this).

AND YES THERE ARE POOR PEOPLE IN TAIWAN. My father and his family (10 total) grew up in a two room house, and didnt have even a radio nor car. Poverty is not an issue. it does not coincide with lack of honor nor responsibility.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.

Friday, October 14, 2005 5:11 AM on j-body.org
Holy Crap !!! Yet another person who has the sence to get out of dodge however he would have to !!! WOW I can not believe this. I wouldn't be alone and there are people who actualy can think for themselves instead of mindless zombies waiting for the govt. to come to there rescue like a knight on a shining white horse. Well I'm glad to hear it guys. And as for the Samurai thing, Well the only problem with that is what do we do with all the lawers?

Friday, October 14, 2005 7:41 AM on j-body.org
^^^^^^^^heheheh...guess they'll be outta a job. maybe court/arrest/law enforcement could become a secondary measure, instead of primary. Let the people learn to fend for themselves AT FIRST, and if they need ASSISTANCE, let the police investigate/deal with the issue. reminds me of a story...shortened version: a good friend of mine was drinking in a nightclub here in raleigh, and saw a young girl, maybe 18, getting basically molested by a drunk redneck...as in putting his hands on her. he politely walked over, and asked the girl if he could buy her a drink, and gave her the secret-wink-let-me-save-you-from-this-guy look. she was basically said omg, thank you you great man, but then the redneck says something along the lines of "whaddyou doin', i wuz talkin to this gurl ferst, bo". My friend says, pal, youve had way too much to drink, but im sure you can find another "gurl" to listen to your weak-ass game. well, the redneck swung with all of his drunken mught on my friend (who happens to be a trained martial artist, as well, lol). my friend slipped the "punch", and kciked the guy in the torso without thinking about it. the surrounding people freak out, the bouncers come, detain my friend, and call the police. my friend got charged with assualt inflicting serious injury (he incidently fractured one of the guys ribs), luckily got probation (1st offense), but now has a criminal record.

Point being...none of the law enforcement/club security employees were there to help. my friend did something honorable and just, but the judge in the case gave him a lecture about "we dont tolerate vigilante justice in the US". My thoughts are, seems to me that the us would be a better place if people at least attempted to take care of themselves and handle their own situations. granted, if i am stuck and stranded in a town that is disaster ridden, i would very much appreciate any assistance that someone might offer. however, IN THE MEAN TIME, I AM GONNA HELP MY SELF THE BEST I CAN.

And Im certainly not gonna begin commiting crimes and such just for fun...or just to take advantge of something or someone.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Friday, October 14, 2005 8:22 AM on j-body.org
Great story sux he got busted. The redneck deff had it coming. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the constitution say something about if you have the power to act and correct an injustice or stop an injustice that it is your duty to do so?
Sounds to me like what he did was 100% in line with the founding fathers were thinking about. Its all the liberal wishy washy crap we have to put up with these days.
I got a story too and I'll give you the short version as well. Friends house across the street burns down. What they can salvage they put in the garage, someone brakees into the garage and robs them. So as a re-cap house burned up, all pets dead in fire,
then they were robbed of what they had left. Cops couldn't do anything no leads. So we start watching the alley way between our houses and see other stuff being stolen,
again cops are worthless. We set a trap with my brand new lawn mower left it sitting under my porch and waited in my garage with a 9mm and baseball bat. 1:30 rolls around and my gate opens up 2 dumb ass kids come strollin in like its there place walk up and grab the lawn mower. Before they turned around my friend and I were on them and asked if they were the ones who broke into his place. At gun point they confessed and we put on gloves and beat the crap out of both till we were tired then we called the cops. We removed the gloves and put them in a bag and in my trunk and locked the garage door so no proff we were the reason they had no teeth left. Cops showed up called for ambo they were taken to hospital for there injures. Cops checked my hands and buddies hands but no sign of anything so we weren't in any trouble.
The kids both are now in juvie till there 18. One was 15 and the other 14 and now neither one has any teeth left. Bet they learned there lesson tho huh?

Friday, October 14, 2005 8:30 AM on j-body.org
^^^^^^ excellent story, my friend. jjez, some people have no honor. i would have done the same thing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search