Military options - Page 4 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Military options
Monday, June 13, 2005 2:55 PM on j-body.org
Not that I know of, like I said I was never asked about my SAT score the military can be a replacement for college so you don't have to have an ACT or SAT score

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 7:42 PM on j-body.org
Ight thank you

2nd place is the 1st loser
Saturday, June 18, 2005 12:04 PM on j-body.org
If i was you i would go to college. Then come to the Army to be a officer. Then come to a Ranger Bat. You dont get any closer then a group of Rangers.
Saturday, June 18, 2005 2:03 PM on j-body.org
ohhhh, I know some Recon Marines that may disagree with that....

chris

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not of the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

Speech at the Second Virginia Convention at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia (23 March 1775) Patrick Henry

Saturday, June 18, 2005 2:17 PM on j-body.org
yeah i went to airborne school with a couple of them. they said the same.
Saturday, June 18, 2005 7:35 PM on j-body.org
If you can get into ROTC, do it. I'm a second year AFROTC student, I'm activating my scholarship in the fall only 15,000/yr but it pays a good chunk of the bill. ANyways, my brother is an AF enlisted, he absolutely loves it. Aircraft maintenance, then crew chief eventually. I think thats what hes doing. He's full time right now, and in the fall he will go back to school do AF full/school full. Lot of work but he'sd etermined. Money is good too. Deployment...he's looking forward to it. And really, if youre not looking forward to travelling around being away from the girl, the fam, military isnt for you.

I have a feeling that you will make the right decision, and you will enjoy the Navy based on your responses.

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Saturday, June 18, 2005 11:51 PM on j-body.org
TaetschZ24 wrote:ohhhh, I know some Recon Marines that may disagree with that....

chris

Not just Recon, I know some Marines in FSSG that might disagree with that.

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Sunday, June 19, 2005 2:57 PM on j-body.org
pjk91 wrote:If you can get into ROTC, do it. I'm a second year AFROTC student, I'm activating my scholarship in the fall only 15,000/yr but it pays a good chunk of the bill. ANyways, my brother is an AF enlisted, he absolutely loves it. Aircraft maintenance, then crew chief eventually. I think thats what hes doing. He's full time right now, and in the fall he will go back to school do AF full/school full. Lot of work but he'sd etermined. Money is good too. Deployment...he's looking forward to it. And really, if youre not looking forward to travelling around being away from the girl, the fam, military isnt for you.

I have a feeling that you will make the right decision, and you will enjoy the Navy based on your responses.

I would really like to do ROTC. Starting last year I am getting trained in CISCO networking/technetion (sp). It was part of my high school sschedule then I found out those 3 hrs a day I spent in their I earned college credit to a college up in sstl called Mineral Area College. By the end of high school (next year) I will have earned 32 hrs for this school. If I do it right another 2 yrs I will have my associate degree?? I mean it would be pushing it to try to do it in 1 yr but the more I think about it I think I could do it as along as I buckled down and did the work. Would having that help any if I were to go there first then go in. Also I am finishing up my eagle scout project so if everything goes like I want it to I will be a eagle scout by the winter. That should do something shouldn't it? I am still waiting on my ACT score since it has only been a week and I think it takes around 4 weeks to get them back and I guess I need to go back to the recur-tier and talk about taking the ASVAB. If I could just use a calculator I would be golden lol Thank you for the nice commit! Later

Saturday, June 25, 2005 9:53 PM on j-body.org
Well Iam gonna answer this, Iam retired Army . 23 years of wear ing green, I had to 2 degrees ( 4 years Deggres, in my first 8 years in) thank you Army. Now Iam a DOD contractor, I can tell you this, Your Certs for computers will get you job in puters no matter what service you go to as long as you can score high enough on the ASVAB. Its what will dictate your entire enlistment. The Military in General is a great place to get an education in a classroom and life. It is doctrine that where ever there are more then 145 service memebers assigned there is a education office of some type. So classes are available to you no matter where you go for the most part. Also, Clases for College are generaly condensed. Meaning that a class that normally takes 9 weeks to complete will be given on post and last 5 to 6 weeks. Also there is CLEP available. so you knock out classes quickly. I came in after a year at Notre Dame. I am so glad i did , I make Big Bucks and collect that check on the first of every month.. Thank the stars for my Benefits daily. The Service is great way to start or continue your life. I was an MP in the Army, But was mostly Special Ops, 879 Jumps outa airplanes and HALO certd. So I seen alot of stuff, You know... Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Loved it. Ate dirt with all braches at sometime or another. I wouldnt trade it for anything in the world. But its your choice of what you want to do, My Best advice is when you go to sit down with Job counselor at MEPS, You tell him what you want, Not visa versa. However listen to the jobs he offers, you may see something you never thought of. Just from 23 years of expierence , I think I may know littel anyway.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Sunday, June 26, 2005 6:56 PM on j-body.org
^^Sweet. Thats a lot of jumps lol How u remember all that lol Ya My main concern is my ASVAB score I want to sit down starting in Aug or so and hit the books. This is my senior year so I need to do well and want to do well on the ASVAB. Got my ACT score back the other day it was a 17 not that good but I mean its not the worst ya know. I dont think that really matters. Like I said I am so toren between computers and a MP I mean seeing what my father does which I know I would not do the same kind of stuff as him since I might be on a base but the same principal. Also I WANT a career out of this I want to do the 25 (?) years and retire when I am 45 I mean that is what I want out out of the Navy. I mean I was thinking of going to a community college in stl I would only have to do another year and I would have my assocites degree. Would that make to much of a diff and also I will be an eagle scout by the end of the year does that help. Thank you for the info man!

Sunday, June 26, 2005 10:09 PM on j-body.org
Retirement is anywhere between 20 and 40 years depending on rank, and how long you want to stay in. In the Marine Corps at least if you're an Eagle Scout you automatically startout at E-2, if you can show documentation. Being an MP is not a bad MOS, but they tend to be more hated then civilain cops because of how much stricter they are and the fact that you have E-2s, and E-3s with so much power that they think they can do what they want.

Sunday, June 26, 2005 11:25 PM on j-body.org
Saint wrote:Retirement is anywhere between 20 and 40 years depending on rank, and how long you want to stay in. In the Marine Corps at least if you're an Eagle Scout you automatically startout at E-2, if you can show documentation. Being an MP is not a bad MOS, but they tend to be more hated then civilain cops because of how much stricter they are and the fact that you have E-2s, and E-3s with so much power that they think they can do what they want.
Sorry Marine there has been a change , Better talk to your commanders about this, Retirement now can be had at anywhere from 15 to 35 years. They installed and then hushed it up . Only offered openly to those big ranking officers taking up space......

As for a 2 year degree and what it would do for you. In the Army it would give you E-3. Your eagle scout will give you E-2 alone. As for your ACT score, Dont swet it, Its equivelent to about a 50 on the ASVAB , The national Score on the ASVAB is currently a 40 , so your doing better then most. Just be aware that when you talk to the counselor at MEPs, Let him tell you what he got and if nuttin interests you then tell him what you want to do. They can always call up the Recruiting Ops Center and get you close or maybe even exactly what you want. Just be open to listening and be Patient.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Sunday, June 26, 2005 11:34 PM on j-body.org
Trevor D. wrote:^^Sweet. Thats a lot of jumps lol How u remember all that lol Ya My main concern is my ASVAB score I want to sit down starting in Aug or so and hit the books. This is my senior year so I need to do well and want to do well on the ASVAB. Got my ACT score back the other day it was a 17 not that good but I mean its not the worst ya know. I dont think that really matters. Like I said I am so toren between computers and a MP I mean seeing what my father does which I know I would not do the same kind of stuff as him since I might be on a base but the same principal. Also I WANT a career out of this I want to do the 25 (?) years and retire when I am 45 I mean that is what I want out out of the Navy. I mean I was thinking of going to a community college in stl I would only have to do another year and I would have my assocites degree. Would that make to much of a diff and also I will be an eagle scout by the end of the year does that help. Thank you for the info man!

Remebering how many is easy, we keep logs.... and my combat Jumps were documented by awards so those I never forget. Your descision is tough But if I could give you some advice about weather to go computers or go MP I would say this to you.... Your only Young once, To have the Fun and adventure of Being a Cop at a young age is a good thing, you can always maintain your degree asperation in computers and work on it ( expierence) while your in. There is nuttin stopping you from doing Both. SO I will tell ya this. If you want adventure and something new all the time? Take MP and go to school in your off time. If your serious about life and getting started on career already then take the puter route. You can always change jobs after 24 months anyhow. Being young and adventurous as I was when I joined I took the MP route and went to school in my off time. I am glad I did.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Monday, June 27, 2005 1:03 AM on j-body.org
Also, some programs give you early advancements. The Navy Nuke program starts you out as an E-3, then after completion of "A" school you are advanced to E-4. I was in about 15 months when I was promoted to E-5 after taking the advancement exam. These programs require a longer enlistment, but it sounds like you are looking for a career, so it shouldn't matter.

Even if you start at the bottom, just do the best you can and you'll advance quickly. The lower ranks are always advancing junior personnel. It's just when you get to the higher ranks (E-6 and up) that it becomes too crowded for many to be advanced.

I think you're right about the ASVAB being you main concern right now. You want your score to be as high as possible. Go get yourself a study guide from Barnes and Noble or Books a Million and study it relentlessly. Your score is what determines which jobs are available for you to select from. Most of the time the more technical type ratings (engineering, computers, etc) require the highest scores and it sounds like that is what you're interrested in.
Monday, June 27, 2005 10:42 AM on j-body.org
Ok. So next question would be do I go to college for a year and see if I can get into the Navys delayed entry program go to school get the degree and then go in or would the eagle scout help out enough. And then 98_SunFire GT answered my next question which was going to be can I change jobs after a certain time I mean like I said I still don't know which one I want the MP or puters. The more and more I think about it I would love to be a MP I mean I think it would be tight! lol

Quote:

Also, some programs give you early advancements. The Navy Nuke program starts you out as an E-3, then after completion of "A" school you are advanced to E-4. I was in about 15 months when I was promoted to E-5 after taking the advancement exam. These programs require a longer enlistment, but it sounds like you are looking for a career, so it shouldn't matter.

I just found out that a former boy scout that was in my troop was in the program. His name is Corey Popp prolly dont know him but from what I got from his dad he loves it and would not trade it. I am going to go barns and noble once I get back from central america cuzz a lot of my money is going towards that so I will have money once I get back and I am going to study. I just really need that ASVAB score up. I guess I need to go bac to the recurtier and talk to him about it and what I really need. Well I am out. Thank you guys for everything!

Monday, June 27, 2005 5:17 PM on j-body.org
Trevor D. wrote:I just found out that a former boy scout that was in my troop was in the program. His name is Corey Popp prolly dont know him but from what I got from his dad he loves it and would not trade it.

I left the Navy in March of 99, so unless he is much older than you, I wouldn't have seen him. Is he in the fleet yet and if so what boat (or ship) is he attatched to? If he's still in school then I don't envy him. College has nothing on Navy Nuclear Power School. It's not that it's extremely difficult material, it's that the pace is unreal. 8 hours of classes 5 days a week and they are putting out material constantly. You're expected to know the matereal the next day, so 4 or 5 hours of study time every night after class wasn't uncommon.

Anyway, good luck with the ASVAB and your future career.
Monday, June 27, 2005 6:17 PM on j-body.org
^^ He is a little bit older then me but still in school so ya I guess you would not know him. Thank you for everything man!

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 1:53 PM on j-body.org
Hey Guys
I am sorry for bringing up a old post but I need to know some things about the national guard because tommorrow im going to take the test. now is the national guard is a good thing to go into because im thinking about doing part time and going to college intill my contract is up or something like that. so guys I need your thoughts of the national guard and yes I live in ohio.

Xtreme PC Concepts Opening Up Soon In Decatur Indiana
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 3:10 PM on j-body.org
..just a heads up to saint..the best recruiters that the Air force has are retired army and marines....

as for the whole "tight knit" thing...that's a load of crap...marine corps intel are just as bad as af intel..

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 8:15 PM on j-body.org
can anybody help me on this national guard thing that i posted eariler?
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 10:19 AM on j-body.org
Xtreme96Sunfire wrote:can anybody help me on this national guard thing that i posted eariler?

You need to be more patient. This is the War Forum, and you really didn't bring anything to the table that would be worthy of debate. There are plenty of threads in the Off Topic fourm about what branch/job, etc questions.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 11:33 AM on j-body.org
well this thread does have the branch and job options on it so that is why i was asking about this.

Friday, October 14, 2005 5:26 PM on j-body.org
Well, if you go an join up as an MP right now... in iraq youll end up doing one of two things.....

Missions all the time knocking in doors and patrolling

Being a Speed trap on whatever FOB/LSA/BP you are on...

I dont hate mp's but i wouldnt wanna do their job...

I am happy sitting behind my computer all day and when I get out I will be happy working for AT&T or something like that, or maybe in the computer field, i got alot of options, but to me right now.. Family comes first and thats where I am stuck on my current situation..

I would say... no matter what you join your coming to iraq

I am at LSA Anaconda right now got less than 100 days until i go back home to germany, and we have Navy,AF,Marines, Army all here.. your best bet....

Go Civvy and work for KBR,ITT or any other big name contractor. Thats where the cash is at, plus most military benefits.. and you get to go home more often, @!#$in been here since Jan and wont be home till RIGHT before New years.. GAY
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:09 PM on j-body.org
now if i do get signed up for the national guard part time will i go iraq or afg?

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 4:30 PM on j-body.org
It depends on your unit where you go. There are units here that have been to Iraq 3 times and never went to Afghanistan, and there are units the have been on multiple tours to both @!#$holes

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search