parents bought my car... so what? - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: parents bought my car... so what?
Friday, July 29, 2005 10:14 AM on j-body.org
this was all posted waayyy before I joined.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 8:29 PM on j-body.org
i could care less who buys your car(anyones car). just have the respect to earn it. don't parade around in a nice car that mommy and daddy hooked up for you and think you're the sh!t. i think its a respect issue and people need to learn that!!

honda's are like tampons.......

EVERY PU$$Y'S GOT ONE!!!!!
Thursday, August 11, 2005 8:33 PM on j-body.org
you dont need to drive if you cant afford a car

Friday, August 12, 2005 4:43 PM on j-body.org
L33tJbody (Brandon Gathye) wrote:you dont need to drive if you cant afford a car

there are people who can afford it that don't deserve to drive either.

i got my first new car because every year my grand father got a saving certificate for me so I could have a down payment on one. interest rates must have been better in the 70's because it paid for most of it. I had to work to pay the insurance, gas,etc. I fell lucky that I had that money, because if it weren't for that I wouldn't have gotten a new car then, I would have been stuck with a Chevette . (...but you know it got great gas mileage )

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 11:11 AM on j-body.org
Cinny wrote:
there are people who can afford it that don't deserve to drive either.

i got my first new car because every year my grand father got a saving certificate for me so I could have a down payment on one. interest rates must have been better in the 70's because it paid for most of it. I had to work to pay the insurance, gas,etc. I fell lucky that I had that money, because if it weren't for that I wouldn't have gotten a new car then, I would have been stuck with a Chevette . (...but you know it got great gas mileage )

Right there with ya bro.

My fist car was a 79 Grand Prix hand me down

I bought an 89 Bonneville when the grand prix got towards the 200K mark.

Then I got My 03' Sunfire

79' -free, was both mine and my brothers first car, good old boat
89'-purchased, with the money from savings bonds my grandfather had for me since I was born
03'- all me, financing, down payment everything.

and i've always payed my own insurance, not on my parents account..

I appreciated all the cars, but the Sunfire I appreciate the most because it's my own hard work that enabled me to get it.

I don't care if someone buys there kid a brand new wam bam thankyou mam car, true I still have a bit of jealousy when I see a 20 year old scooting around in an RX-8. However you have to realize that that's the way the world is.

Best you can do is bring yourself above it, do well in schoool and work hard, and you will have the things you envy, you'll also enjoy them that much more.

-Chris

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 3:33 PM on j-body.org
my first car was a hand me down 87 pont 6000 le had 400,000 on the odometer and i gave to my sis, my 2nd was a 79 firebird and i saved enough money to restore it, all cash. my parents co signed for my gt. IMO i find most people who parents by them new cars dont respect the cars and don't take care of them.

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Saturday, October 15, 2005 12:44 PM on j-body.org
i paid for all mine.. so i dunno how it feels to just get something and do w/it as i please..

but i know i'm jealous wheni see that younger kid drivin' around in his z3 that u went to high school with and u know he doesn't make that much workin' at the mall...

lil bastards.

but i know damn well if my parents wanted to buy me a car, i sure as hell wouldn't say, "no thanks. i'm gonna keep on working to buy a lesser car..." no siree

I'm tellin' Uncle Ben!! You stole his RICE!!

"premiere cavalier" coming soon to a street near you!!
Saturday, October 15, 2005 11:54 PM on j-body.org
I know I'm late on this topic but just want to give my 2 cents...

Most of the people on this site are relatively young, either in High School or just getting into College. In that age range, coming accross money for anything is hard so your parents for the most part need to help you get on your feet, hell, that's what parents are here for.

Personally, my father had a car he didn't drive and gave it to me as my 1st car. I loved it and then it broke down on me so my mother made the down payment for my Sunfire and I make every single payment on the car because I have a steady job and to show responsibility. What my mother did is a great way for kids to have a car...let them pay their way through it.

Now, people also dog others if their parents buy them aftermarket parts etc etc
I feel this way, if you're lucky enough to have parents who want you be happy and buy you car parts, then god bless you because I wish I was you. Why put down someone who is more privelidged than you? Where does that get you? No where. It boggles my mind when people get mad about stuff like that or try to talk down to people by saying "His mommy bought his body kit" or "He's a rich/spoiled kid"...that's pure jealousy. If I have to work for my car parts and you don't, hey, you're a lucky SOB and I wish I was you.

Now, people who flaunt what they have in a negative manner, especially if they are more privelidged, should not be respected. I've always said that being humble is most important about anything...if someone takes their time to say "Nice car", be humble and say "Thank You" and not say "I know and you wish it was yours!". That I totally despise.

dirty_elf, your feelings are normal.

That is all...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:15 PM on j-body.org
i enheireted my dads old '95 Lumina LS. i customized some of it then hit a telephone pole the n my moms boyfriend bought my 2000 z24 for me but if they break up he takes it. so thats not good

Thursday, October 20, 2005 12:55 AM on j-body.org
When I was 16 my mom gave me her old 1993 ford aerostar minivan. It had about 200k on the odometer but the body was in good condition. I kept it pretty clean and washed it now and again. I'm not any more proud of my current cars as I was that one. It had wheels and it moved.
I was dating a girl at the time that lived in a very poor family. She has a half brother and a step sister that lived with her. Her mom's boyfriend worked in construction to pay the bills but he fixed cars in his driveway for extra cash. Her mom worked at UPS. My water pump went out on the van and Jeff (the mom's boyfriend) replaced it for me for just the cost of the pump. At this time I had just barely $1000 saved up to finally buy a car. The day I dropped it off my dad came home from work and told me someone he worked with was trying to sell a 1995 Z24. I offered him what I had and he accepted it.
When I went to go pick up the van, instead of giving Jeff the money for the water pump I gave him the keys to the van and signed the title over to him for free, making it the first car that their family ever fully owned. They got rid of a rust bucket that they were making payments on and had to pay that much less every month. I felt good about it.
I paid for the cavalier, I paid my own insurance and I paid for all of the mods done to it. My parents are actually pretty wealthy, I wont argue that, but this is how they felt things should be done so I didn't argue it.
I didn't have enough money for what I wanted with my car, so instead of paying shops to do it, I did hours on end of research every night and learned how to do motor and body work all on my own. When something broke on the car, I would go to the junkyard and pull parts to fix it myself. Everything was good. When I got more into cars, I decided to put a sound system in it and fix up the body a little. After I did my reading, I went out and got MDF and vinyls and wound up with an itch that I couldn't scratch without more work!
I taught myself how to mold fiberglass, weld, paint, wire electronics and everything else done to my car by reading on the internet. What I ended up with roughly two years later and only spending about $700 total on second-hand body parts and additional materials was this car right here:

I ended up selling this car a little over a month ago for $3000, making a nice profit. The money I made went into my new car, the sunbird in my signature. I paid $700 for it, The extra $2300 has mostly gone into the engine, but I do like to keep some extra money around for a rainy day.
All during the buildup of the cavfire, I had been building a 2.3 High Output turbo motor to go into it, but I sold it without the motor. With tens of thousands of dollars invested into it, I've decided to make a full drag car and recently acquired a cavalier to completely gut and drop the motor in. All of the tools, parts and machine work was paid for with money I got through doing work on other people's cars in my driveway.

That is pretty much my story. If my parents offered help somewhere along the way, I would have gladly taken it. If they wanted to buy me a car right now I would take it. There is no shame in accepting gifts from others any more than there is to indulge at your own expense. I find it just as annoying to hear "my car is dirty and ugly and falling apart, but at least I paid for it" as it is to hear "My daddy bought me an Evo and it is soooo faster than your car." All of it pisses me off.
The person complaining about not being able to afford brake pads.... what the hell. They are so inexpensive that it isn't even funny. Go to advance auto parts and read the Haynes manual right in the store. Look up installation procedures on-line. Ask someone for help! I would have had no problem telling you hot to install brakes if you asked. So if there is no installation fee, all you have is the $15 that brake pads cost. All be it not very much, I guarantee you have some money. Whether you spend it on food or school supplies, there is money. If you REALLY don't have money, get some. Help old ladies bring groceries to their cars, carry around some rich guy's golf clubs one afternoon, go donote sperm... hell.... sit outside of the parts store and ask for change for a few minutes. Money is there. There is a false sense of dignity associated with each method of collection. It is not your parents responsibility to do anything for you beyond putting a roof over your head.

I graduated highschool at barely 17 years old with a 4.25 GPA (I took some advanced placement classes) and now after freshly turning 20 I'm already done with school. I took some business classes at a local college and went to tech school for cars. I worked full time the entire way through school to for it and all of my spending cash came from those sided jobs I did on cars. For about 7 months I was also working part time at a body shop.
Don't give me the crap that it can't be done and you can't have a nice car on your own. When you really work for what you want, you get it. There is nothing wrong with accepting contributions from anybody. I envy the kids in the expensive cars because despite what I have worked for, they have better at younger ages, but I will have my ultimate car some day so it doesn't bother me that they have what they have. I'd like it, but I don't harp on it.

Let me also say that one guy I knew, Rob, his parents bought him a 2002 Eclipse V6. Later that year for Christmas they got him a supercharger kit for it. Sometime in spring he wrecked it. They took the insurance money and put a down-payment on a 2005 GTO for him. He had it for about three weeks before he hit a pole at 110, drunk, taking three other people's lives with him. My friend Vince, same deal but about two years ago in a turbo B18 CRX his mom bought him. He lived. He's in jail for two counts of involuntary man slaughter (the passengers,) DWI, reckless endangerment., blah, blah, blah.......

Whatever happens, happens. Quit bitching about it because it only gives the situation more exposure, making it that much more of a nuisance for everybody else.

Cardomain|Myspace

Sunday, October 30, 2005 3:58 AM on j-body.org
I purchased my first car for 500 bucks, it was a nissan 200SX. I was happy with it. and when it got wrecked I lived without a car for about 6 months, then suddenly, my parents drove me down to the dealership and voila.

This silver cavalier was there. and it was mine.

thus began my story at least. that was almost 10 months ago?

Sunday, October 30, 2005 10:28 AM on j-body.org
everything i've ever owned has been bought 100% my me. You learn to take more pride when every cent invested is paid for by you.

my first car cost me 200 bucks... it was a 1988 Pontiac Fierro Gt. No motor, no transmission. So we did a motor swap from what was a 2.8 stock, to a 3800 s/c. Couldn't keep the damn thing straight. Only help I ever got was with the motor swap. But I paid for everything, and the beer to do it.

Then i bought a Camaro after selling my Fierro. It got totaled by my neighbor and i was irate. As you can imagnie. 1990 Black/Silver IROC-Z with power red leather, and a 386 stroker swap with a 350turbo trans pure sex. untill it was totaled.

So after that was totalled i bought 2 cavs. a 1987 Z, and a 1990VL. I held on to the VL for a long time and tried to just make it unique.

I then bought a 1988 GT Sunbird Turbo for hopes of a awesome boost build, but funds cut tight and had to sell it

Well sold the VL and bought a stratus to daily drive, and saved up for what i have now. the 97LS Sedan with a LD9

So I've had my share of cars... all but one were GM And all were bought with my money, and no help. You really learn to take better care of your stuff when you buy it. As well as take more pride in your ride.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search