Quebec: another referendum? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Quebec: another referendum?
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 11:11 AM on j-body.org
I live in Canada and I was watching a special on the referendum in 1995, pretty interesting stuff, especially Parizeau going to France and also trying to get some support from Washington (Billy supported a united Canada). Now with all the stuff going on today in our country, especially the sponsership scandal, this shows to the people how corrupt the federal liberal government is. Another thing I heard is that alot of people in Quebec disapprove of Jean Charest (Premier *same thing as governor in the states) and if there is another election that is going happen then they will probably elect the party Quebecois, which supports sovereinty. All of this could probably lead to another referendum, what does everyone think?

Re: Quebec: another referendum?
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 12:09 PM on j-body.org
There was a bit on the news a couple of days ago regarding Quebec separation (I think it was CTV, but can't remember). They said that, if a referendum were to be held in the near-future, that 52% of Quebecers would vote in favour of separation. That's a rather scary thought.

I spent nearly 4 years in Montreal (going to school at McGill), and moved from there to Calgary a little less than 1.5 years ago. During my stay, the sovereignty idea was nearly dead. The last time the parti Quebecois was in power they did their best to alienate every pro-Quebec person, and made a complete @ss of themselves. What on earth did Charest do to go and screw that all up? Sure, he's a federalist, but he's Quebecois and certainly can't be ignorant of francophones' concerns regarding the preservation of their culture and their dislike of federal policies.

From the sounds of things in the news, a future referendum is very, very possible. The last one was not very pleasant to watch, and I can't see another being called unless there's a 100% chance that the sovereignists will win. Not good, not good at all....

Free your mind - shoot your TV.
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 1:00 PM on j-body.org
I think they should seperate they are like a different country anyway already

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 3:58 PM on j-body.org
@!#$ Quebec. Seriously, this separating thing is getting really old.

I hate how there's a language police, how the Quebecers want their own country, how the Bloc's sole platform is separation, and everything else about them. I don't even understand WHY they want to separate.

I say let them separate, but they're not allowed to use Canada's resources, grants, currency etc like they want to. If they're a different country, they need to support themselves right?

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 5:59 PM on j-body.org
Here's the problem that Quebecers are pretty familliar with:

1- PQ is completely ineffective. They've had 2 cracks at the soveriegnty apple (1995, and in the 70's).
2- PQ brought about 3 of the worst governments for Quebec that have ever been in power. In the early 90's, Parizeau/Bouchard brought the idea of soveriegnty along which also alienated about 75% of US/foreign owned businesses to the point that they pulled up stakes and went west or east.
3- PQ is responsible for more dischord (ie. language police) and other inanity than anything. Basically, the Sign laws are one thing, but there are people taking things to extremes, and that's causing problems.
4- The Cost of separation would be far greater than the rewards. In the James Bay I and II projects alone, a soveriegn Quebec would have to pay out over 25 BILLION (tax hike) it would lose it's federal transfer payments (tax hike), It would have to start creating relations to countries that are more interested in a united Canada (Think Dubya in Franglais... that's what square 1 is), Create and maintain a military (tax hikes and tax hikes), and, well, figure out how to deal with native land claims (take the top 3/4 of Quebec, that's Native claimed territory), and then there's the issue of repayment back to Canada all those transfers that have been skewed their way.

A soveriegn Quebec would crumble under it's own weight, most Quebecers understand that. I think the biggest motivator for soveriegnty is the fact that Canadians at large look at them as either agitators or selfish kids. There are definitely more than a few of them about, on both sides no less.

Maybe it's different for me personally, I've lived in Ottawa most of my life, My grand parents were anglophones in Gatineau, my Dad is fluently Bilingual, I'm passably bilingual. I have friends that are French and English, and it's never really been an issue... I've talked with a few friends from Montreal and they are pretty much ambivalent about separation. It's never been an issue they've concerned themselves with too much. Of the few people I know from out west, they either don't give a @!#$ about Quebec or there's a real disdain.

Personally, I think that if everyone started acting like adults, shutting up and listening, and not acting like rash little children, this wouldn't be a problem... in Quebec, Alberta, BC or anywhere.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search