How do you act a color? (Race) - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How do you act a color? (Race)
Friday, November 04, 2005 2:19 AM on j-body.org
Basically like the topic says. I never understood how people can look at someone who is black and they speak proper (no slang), Doesn't wear hip hop clothing, doesn't walk with an limp and all of a sudden they are "acting white". This same goes for someone who is white and they wear hip hop clothing and talk with slang and all of a sudden they are "acting black".

I always wondered how I could act like a color. I mean, in the eyes of the people who do say such a thing, they are basing it off of stereotypes. Stereotypically, I'm supposed to say "yo" in every sentence, talk with slang, wear G-Unit and Fubu clothing apparel & have a du-rag on BUT as we all know, stereotypes aren't true.

It was probably worse during school...nothing "dramatic" but worse. Yes, most of my friends were white but I wasn't trying to be something I wasn't...just me. I always got sayings like "You're the whitest black guy I know" and I always wondered what makes them say that? I mean, I don't think I'm trying to be something I'm not, I'm not hanging out with white friends and saying "hmm how can I be more white...", no. I've always been a people person and for a big part of my life, I lived in more of a white dominant area of New York (Middletown Area) where I was 1 of few black kids in our school so you really didn't have any choice but to have white friends (not that I was trying to avoid not having white friends).

After living in Middletown from 3rd grade all the way to 7th grade and moving to Linden, NJ for 8th grade, it was a big difference. I went from everyone being white to a VERY diverse school system. We had Black, Haitian, Polish, Italian etc etc...lets just say way more diverse than my other school. Becoming friends with kids who were black wasn't a problem for me to try to do but I believe alot of them didn't attempt to be my friend because of how I appeared. I didn't have the updated hip hop clothing or wore the "freshest kicks". For a minute while I was in 8th grade, just an attempt to have more friends, I started to wear those types of clothings and funny enough I noticed more people were beginning to notice me and even girls. As materialistic that sounded, I didn't like myself and shortly afterwards i went back to the old me.

The white label got worse in High School because I started wearing "skater" clothes...wearing Kikwears and shopping at Hot Topic. The whole having friends situation got better but I was still labeled as "white". As I got out of high school and I talk to my black friends or old classmates, they tell me that people were scared of me...which I never understood cause I'm probably one of the nicest guys you can meet.

Now that I've been out of school for years now, my appearance as far as what people think, I really don't care about. If they are ignorant enough to think I'm trying to be something I'm not, than they can screw themselves. I'm not trying to say being white is wrong but I am a black male and I am comfortable with myself and my background.

I am what I am, people should accept me and not stereotypes.

Actually...the only stereotype I do like is that people assume cause I'm black that my penis is big, I can accept that one

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Re: How do you act a color? (Race)
Friday, November 04, 2005 3:54 AM on j-body.org
One thing I've learned that's the easiest way to deal with that kind of a situation Adam:

@!#$ STEREOTYPES

They're the product of small minds and and smaller people who can't deal with things that are outside their comfortable norms.

Be yourself, know yourself, and let them puzzle over who you are.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, November 04, 2005 4:07 AM on j-body.org
i like acting charcoal grey.

don't like me? tell me what you think of me in chat
Friday, November 04, 2005 4:53 AM on j-body.org
i get this alot and i get alot of it from my friends, mainly just ball busting but it doesnt bother me. i grew up in an all black area for the first 12yrs of my life. like they say, people are a product of their environment. i grew up w/ all black people and the majority of my friends were black. i get it alot by the way i dress and the things i listen to. yes i do dress like i am black but thats what i was brought up around and those are the types of clothes that i like. granted just because i dress like im black, i dont act like it. i dont talk or act like something im not. every once and a while ill throw a slang word in when i talk but its just because im use to it.

Friday, November 04, 2005 4:53 AM on j-body.org

HEY, WHITE ISN'T THERE!!!!!!!

DAMN COLORISTS!!!

Friday, November 04, 2005 6:11 AM on j-body.org
I try to act like a human most of the time.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, November 04, 2005 6:46 AM on j-body.org
^^^ Taxing ain't it?

NJHK: That last stereotype, we all know its bogus...

Friday, November 04, 2005 7:03 AM on j-body.org
NJHK (Sexual Chocolate) wrote:Actually...the only stereotype I do like is that people assume cause I'm black that my penis is big, I can accept that one

What GAM is saying is, how big is it?

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Friday, November 04, 2005 7:08 AM on j-body.org
screw what people think. I get alot of people that stereotype me as "eminiem", which gets pretty old after like 8 years. Just cuz i wear baggy pants, a basketball or football jersey or a white t-shirt and a crooked fitted hat, dosent mean I'm one thing or another. I'm just being me. And if people can't deal with it, then they can look the other way. I hate when race becomes an issue of how you live your life. people find it hard to believe i even like to work on cars or watch Nascar and football side by side.

I just got back from India last week, after being there for 6 weeks, and I learned alot about their culture and about people in general. The most important thing i learned is to respect people and their lifestyle. There is alot of Muslims and Hindi's in India, which before I went I may have had one stereotypical opinion about, but again, those people are some of the finest and nicest people I've ever met in my life. Another thing I learned when I got back is that as much as I love the US, people here are so ignorant its rediculous. even when I try to explain to friends and family about how great it was there, someone has to throw in some kind of racist or stereotypical joke.

the moral of the story is...... be what you want, and as long as you like yourself, thats all that matters. if people cant deal, then @!#$ em. peoples thoughts of acting "white" or "black" or whatever is just someone else's insecurity with themselves.

just do you man, and be happy.

Friday, November 04, 2005 7:25 AM on j-body.org
slight sidenote - what's wrong with wearing a hat properly? WHY do people wear them sideways? isn't that uncomfortable?

i've taken it upon myself to straighten the hats of the kids i run across in lines at the store, or in the mall...they're usually too dumbfounded to do much, beyond staring at me slackjawed. i've never had one pissed at me...maybe they're all happy i helped them look better?

Friday, November 04, 2005 7:51 AM on j-body.org
i wear hats everywhere i go. i have over 20 different hats to match whatever i wear (im worse than a girl). i mainly just wear my hat backwards as thats most comfortable for me. on occiasn though i will wear it forward but off to the side a bit. (kinda hard to explains, hence the link) and no i dont wear it like that because others so, if my head hurts i usually throw it on foward like that

Friday, November 04, 2005 7:52 AM on j-body.org
damn spell check, forgot to, i meant to say on occasion

Friday, November 04, 2005 8:25 AM on j-body.org
I feel you pain. I am black i don't wear hip hop clothes, i wear what is comfortable, slacks, dress shoes and nice shirt. and black people look at me funny. The white people i know don't say i act white. They always comment as if they are so suprised about how well spoke and travel i am. What i can't talk i can't travel to places in Europe etc...
Doesn't really bother me. I don't fall into that sterotype. I was in an all white boarding school in England for a while. So to me i am being me there is not black or white. To hate another rave would mean hating my family My great grandfather was white. Some of my ancestory is South American.

People just sterotype me even the police. They don't harrass me as much as other black kids who dress up in hip hop clothes. Then again i am 30 so i don't do all those things any more. I am Engineer witha family and a home so things are a little different for me. But i still get the same thing some white people we know kind shocked at how we live not their expectations at all. Think our yard will be all messed up our house will not be the best condition.

Just sterotypes. Those who know me don't even think of me acting any otherway than myself

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, November 04, 2005 8:41 AM on j-body.org
falnfenix wrote:slight sidenote - what's wrong with wearing a hat properly? WHY do people wear them sideways? isn't that uncomfortable?

i've taken it upon myself to straighten the hats of the kids i run across in lines at the store, or in the mall...they're usually too dumbfounded to do much, beyond staring at me slackjawed. i've never had one pissed at me...maybe they're all happy i helped them look better?

once again, be who you want to be, not what OTHERS think you should be

Friday, November 04, 2005 8:53 AM on j-body.org
unfortunately people are judged by the way they look and act, first impressions etc. its just the way things are. (if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....) contempt prior to investigation is one of the biggest problems facing society. its unlikely to ever change. i used to have hair down past my shoulders and occasionally still do, i'd walk in a store and be ignored completely regardless of having money in my pocket, go get my haircut and return and its " may i help you sir?"
Friday, November 04, 2005 9:02 AM on j-body.org
^^^ Just explained prejudice very nicely.

Friday, November 04, 2005 9:27 AM on j-body.org
Well, if it's any consolation NHJK, when i see you, you remind me of the band Living Colour, and hey, I loved the song "Cult of Personality". So don't take that as a bad thing

Really, people are people. One of my best freinds in college was a black guy that would make Event look small, but one of his favorite artists was Joe Satriani.

While i believe stereotypes exist for a reason, i don't believe they are all-encompassing. But i don't believe there is a such thing as "acting" a certain race, no more than there is "acting" a certain genre--you are what you are. However, that being said, when you delve into the poseur realm, then you do find people that will act a certain way to attempt to be identifies with a particular genre/race/etc. For instance: a white guy, who admits to pretending to be black, and follows every black stereotype (see also: Sherman Oaks). The opposite is true--a poseur shunning everything that something is and filling into the opposite stereotype to further distance themselves from it. This is actually seen the most in mindless political zealots, but you can still find it in some genres.

But still, those that are comfotable in who they are really know that there is no defnite like as to what makes someone something--it's just a swath of vaying shades of grey and a mix of colors. The only defining lines exist at stereotypes, and most intellegent people avoid using them.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaði, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, November 04, 2005 9:38 AM on j-body.org
Good point would be Urban in this post in Off Topic. Classifying everybody that hunts as a "redneck".

Off Topic Post about Hunting click here.

Josh
SLK 32

Friday, November 04, 2005 9:56 AM on j-body.org
I agree with Bagged Cavy about the hats. I have like 25 hats, one to match everything. I wear them usuallybackward or kind of crooked to the front. I dont like how i look with it on straight to the front

Friday, November 04, 2005 10:02 AM on j-body.org
Whore wrote:Good point would be Urban in this post in Off Topic. Classifying everybody that hunts as a "redneck".

don't. get. me. started.

by the way, my previous hat post was meant to be humorous. i'm glad no one took me seriously.

Friday, November 04, 2005 10:20 AM on j-body.org
most of this can be found in the song "Signs" It was re-made but i can't remember either artist. But I'm sure you all know it. Signs, Signs, everywhere are signs blocking up the scenery changeing my mind do this don't do that ....... The part where it says
Long haired freaky people need not apply so i tucked my hair up under my hat and went in to ask him why.

PREJUDICE thats why. But looks play a HUGE part of how most people are treated.
Its a shame really, some of the nicest people I've ever met were long haired freaky people.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, November 04, 2005 10:30 AM on j-body.org
falnfenix wrote:
Whore wrote:Good point would be Urban in this post in Off Topic. Classifying everybody that hunts as a "redneck".

don't. get. me. started.

by the way, my previous hat post was meant to be humorous. i'm glad no one took me seriously.

i know what you meant, but you did ask a question as to why some people do so i just gave a little insight on how i wear mine, that is all

Friday, November 04, 2005 10:35 AM on j-body.org
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]
falnfenix wrote:

don't. get. me. started.

i know what you meant, but you did ask a question as to why some people do so i just gave a little insight on how i wear mine, that is all

glad you saw the point behind it.

Friday, November 04, 2005 10:42 AM on j-body.org
Get you started on what Heather? oO

Josh
SLK 32

Friday, November 04, 2005 10:45 AM on j-body.org
where's Heather? she hasn't posted in here, has she?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search