How do you act a color? (Race) - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How do you act a color? (Race)
Friday, November 04, 2005 10:49 AM on j-body.org
Sorry Faln, thought you were Heather?Hahha, my question was directed to you.

Josh
SLK 32

Friday, November 04, 2005 10:53 AM on j-body.org
Hey, im black and white and I get EVERY DAMN stereotype in the book thrown at me.. Not in a bad way but in a joking way from my white and black friends. It doesnt bother me at all, I just shoot a white or black joke right back at they asses lol.

It bothered me in elementry and middle school when I used to get called halfbreed all the time.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, November 04, 2005 11:03 AM on j-body.org
Whore wrote:Sorry Faln, thought you were Heather?Hahha, my question was directed to you.

ahh...yeah, she and i don't even have the same name.

anyway...to answer your question: don't get me started about Urban. that idiot does nothing but annoy me.

don't like me? tell me what you think of me in chat
Friday, November 04, 2005 11:06 AM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]Well, if it's any consolation NHJK, when i see you, you remind me of the band Living Colour, and hey, I loved the song "Cult of Personality". So don't take that as a bad thing

Really, people are people. One of my best freinds in college was a black guy that would make Event look small, but one of his favorite artists was Joe Satriani.

While i believe stereotypes exist for a reason, i don't believe they are all-encompassing. But i don't believe there is a such thing as "acting" a certain race, no more than there is "acting" a certain genre--you are what you are. However, that being said, when you delve into the poseur realm, then you do find people that will act a certain way to attempt to be identifies with a particular genre/race/etc. For instance: a white guy, who admits to pretending to be black, and follows every black stereotype (see also: Sherman Oaks). The opposite is true--a poseur shunning everything that something is and filling into the opposite stereotype to further distance themselves from it. This is actually seen the most in mindless political zealots, but you can still find it in some genres.

But still, those that are comfotable in who they are really know that there is no defnite like as to what makes someone something--it's just a swath of vaying shades of grey and a mix of colors. The only defining lines exist at stereotypes, and most intellegent people avoid using them.

i ate a gum drop, i ate a gum drop.

Friday, November 04, 2005 11:16 AM on j-body.org
Ahh, gotcha....

I really never look at names, just sigs. Sorry though

Guess this makes me prejudice to ya! Ya can beat me later

Josh
SLK 32

Friday, November 04, 2005 11:19 AM on j-body.org
Whore wrote:Ya can beat me later

gahah...you'd like that, wouldn't ya...

don't like me? tell me what you think of me in chat
Friday, November 04, 2005 11:37 AM on j-body.org
If ya stop and think about we are all judged all the time. We are judged by what we drive, how we dress, and who we hang out with. People have preconcieved notions that certain people are a certain way, and we only have society to thank for that. want to have some fun? Go to a used car lot in an old, loud, rusted car. I would be very surprised if anyone talks to you. Now go back 30 minutes later in a nice newer shiny car and you get flagged down. Or try this walk in a shop like Victoria's Secret in work clothes covered in grease and oil ...... I did and got laughed at when I asked for help.(looking for wife a just cause gift)... The point is no matter who you are ignorant people are gonna judge you before you ever say a single word.

Sunday, November 06, 2005 8:31 AM on j-body.org
JCBLL95 wrote: Or try this walk in a shop like Victoria's Secret in work clothes covered in grease and oil ...... I did and got laughed at when I asked for help.(looking for wife a just cause gift)...
Yea right....like we don't know that you bought her something that was for YOUR pleasure (eye candy)

I'm judged more by people that are the same race as me than those of another race. I was constantly ridiculed in school because my mother did not allow us to use slang in her house when we spoke to one another. Proper English was always required. Therefore, I don't use a lot of slang now, and choose to speak with clarity and articulation (best I can) as opposed to Ebonics, I was told that I talk White.

Because I don't sag my pants, act like a @!#$ idiot in public, or embrace the thug life....I act White. I listen to all forms of music. I love Classical, Alternative, Rock, Country, Hip Hop, R&B, and a lot of old school like the Temptations, Isley Bros, etc.

I'm being who I am, not what you want me to be...

"Speak the truth, and leave immediately after"
"The urge to save Humanity is almost ALWAYS a false front for the urge to rule"
"He who knoweth things as they are and not as they are said or seem to be, he truly is wise, and is taught of God more than of men."
Sunday, November 06, 2005 12:42 PM on j-body.org

JCBLL95 wrote:

Or try this walk in a shop like Victoria's Secret in work clothes covered in grease and oil ...... I did and got laughed at when I asked for help.(looking for wife a just cause gift)...
Yea right....like we don't know that you bought her something that was for YOUR pleasure (eye candy)

nothing wrong with that

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:52 AM on j-body.org
i act like myself.

-Borsty
Friday, November 18, 2005 5:45 PM on j-body.org
White kids who've never been to prision with barbed wire tats and sagging pants but they live in the suburbs are just plain silly.

I loved the Punk'd where Justin Timberlake got slammed by the fake IRS. Hip-hop boy suddenly turned to "Chad" and called his mommy crying. I don't think DMX would have handled it that way....

I guess what I'm getting at is that if you're a poser you need to be slapped.

Just some ammo for those who will flame me, I'm a cracker, can't dance, won't be winning any "Largest penis" contests, etc, etc, etc... I am so pale I spilled "white out" on my thigh and it looked like a dark spot, I know all the words to every Barry Mannilow song, and on and on....

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto

Friday, November 18, 2005 7:37 PM on j-body.org
for me i cant stand anyone who acts like a thug. growin up in a bad part of the city i had seen a lot of really bad things and people. But when i moved to the suburbs i saw kids acting as if there some sort of gangster and i should be scared of them. Its ridiculous. Maybe its a form of 'expressing' themselves but i dont know what image there trying to get across to people.

The whole act like your race thing is bull. The owners of the store i work at are black and they are very well educated, and one of them teaches at villanova. There nice people, there family is nice, its all about how people present themselves i think. i know kids at school of a different race and there cool, i dont feel like i cant talk to them because i dont look like them. Its more about character than race, if you act like a thug its hard to talk to someone like that becaus i dont embrace the thug life myself.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 1:58 PM on j-body.org
Yeah i think obviously not thugs, actin like all thug is LAME. I think gangs are pretty stupid to tell you the truth, so anyone even if they really are all thug, i'm kinda just like whoa *eye roll* lol. I think rap is kew, but that doesn't mean i'm gonna bus a cap up in this or anything lol. Yeah i dunno, i'm definitely not looking to join any gangs. Retarted.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 2:16 PM on j-body.org
What I dont like is that I can't listen to any good rap music except eminem without being looked at by people like I am either a hoodlum or like I am trying to be black or whatever they all say. And then it makes me feel akward to be listening to it. I shouldn't have to fell akward listening to any type of music I like... unless it is like "S club Seven" or something hehe.

And bortsy who is the name of that woman on your sig... gawd damn

Sunday, November 20, 2005 8:59 AM on j-body.org
Skyler: That's Katie Price or Jordan (depends... )

And I think some kids act like they're all hard because Rap is the same thing as Grunge (when I was into it), the same as Hair/Death Metal bands, which was the same thing as New Wave, which was the same thing as Punk, Glitter bands, hippy bands, Rock and Roll bands, and Jazz/Swing Bands.

After the early 20's most kids wanted to be different than their parents, and just succeeded in being the same as their folks. the only thing that changed was the music, and the clothes.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, November 20, 2005 9:12 AM on j-body.org
lol....its all good, i bet you im the only BLACK guy on this site that wear pointer overalls.
now thats counry. so its all good.

ClassGlass / RkSport / Eibach / Motegi / Ractive / Borla / K&N

Sunday, November 20, 2005 10:16 AM on j-body.org
Pointer? You mean Painter?

Sunday, November 20, 2005 12:39 PM on j-body.org
^^^^^POINTER BRAND^^^^^^ yeah im as country as you can get lol....

ClassGlass / RkSport / Eibach / Motegi / Ractive / Borla / K&N

Sunday, November 20, 2005 1:09 PM on j-body.org
Thanks for pointing that out (No pun intended)

Didn't know it was a brand... I fig'd it was a typo.

Sunday, November 20, 2005 1:16 PM on j-body.org
I had a friend when I was in high school named Titus (yes he was black) and styled himself as the only "blackneck" out there(in my home town). He was hilarous. Into jacked up trucks and what not. I don't think many people would have messed with him. He was about 6 foot and 250lbs. He had no body fat whatsoever.

I will say, he was probably the nicest person I have ever met.

Josh
SLK 32

Sunday, November 20, 2005 3:35 PM on j-body.org
There's a bunch of guys like that in South Miami... Screw jacking up trucks... They do that with Sedans!

Sunday, November 20, 2005 3:59 PM on j-body.org
Haha yea thats true. Back when I lived in Jax a year ago we saw that and they were all painted like a race car or something. Coors Light, MM's, etc.

Josh
SLK 32

Monday, November 21, 2005 3:59 AM on j-body.org
Why bother when you're not even getting sponsored?

Monday, November 21, 2005 4:36 AM on j-body.org
My thought exactly. I guess it was a "trend" of the time. Probably still is.

Josh
SLK 32

Monday, November 21, 2005 8:50 AM on j-body.org
WHITECAVY wrote:Hey, im black and white and I get EVERY DAMN stereotype in the book thrown at me..

So what strereo type hurts the most? JVC? Kenwood? Pioneer? Sony? Jensen? Monsoon? Or, do you dodge all of them fairly easily

Sorry, had to interject a bad pun...

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search