Legalize Drunk Driving? - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Legalize Drunk Driving?
Saturday, November 12, 2005 7:01 AM on j-body.org
Forgot to add... Germany though its famous for Alcohol consumption, also has a much lower legal blood alcohol limit. .05% per decilitre, and you're legally drunk, you lose your license for 90 days summarily. .03% and you're impaired, lose it for 24 hours, and you have go before court to explain yourself (usually, if you use an alcohol based mouth wash, you're going to get between .01% and .02%, if you tell a TUV officer that, they'll let you wait for a half hour and re-test).

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:03 AM on j-body.org
There was a report on the news about drunk drivers yesterday.
Quote:

Drunk Drivers Still on the Road
November 15, 2005 - Why are some offenders back in court for the seventeenth time? Why are some let out of jail sentences without serving the whole time?

It's a day Melissa Ramirez will never forget: the day a drunk driver ran a red light and smashed right into her. Her passenger, Kelly Ballough, 17, was dead.
Melissa says the driver who hit her, Kelly and two other friends had a blood alcohol content of .3, more than three times the legal limit. Melissa says she's disturbed by the number of people who drive drunk repeatedly, and aren't locked up.

The I-Team found dozens of repeat offenders through an Ohio law enforcement watch-list. Through court records, we found only a few in northwest Ohio are behind bars, and some of the worst aren't serving their full sentences. One of those is Antonio Briseno of Defiance. Court records show he got his 18th DUI while out on bond for his 17th offense.

The I-Team tracked down the judge who sentenced Briseno on his 18th. He says he imposed the maximum sentence: four and a half years in prison. But Briseno could be released in as little as 6 months. The judge said he would be on community control supervision. We asked, "But it's possible within six months he could be let out of prison." The judge replied, "He's statutorily eligible." We asked if a tougher sentence would stop him. The judge: "I don't know that there's any sentence that would guarantee that this guy's never on the road again."

Timothy Johnson has 17 DUIs. A Sandusky judge sentenced him to a year in jail, the maximum at the time, but he only served eight months. We asked again how someone with 17 DUIs can get out of jail early. The judge said, "All I can say is I can give him the year and the jail has their own authority under their own guidelines. Whether he was out on good time credit, community service, yeah, he was out earlier than that." We asked Johnson himself, as he was leaving a separate court appearance, if he thought the sentence was fair. "Even after 17 offenses, don't you feel you should have served your full time after that?" He replied, "I think I've done enough."

The judges say they're limited by Ohio law. A change in recent years made penalties tougher on repeat offenders. But even with the stricter laws, activists say the number of people killed by drunk drivers isn't changing.. And they're still getting off with surprisingly light time served.

Melissa Rodriguez hopes her story will motivate others to get involved in strengthening our drunk driving laws and programs. We plan to take the results of our investigation to state lawmakers. We'll tell you what we find out from them about what can be done to stop these repeat offenders.

Some notes on drunk drivers:

For every time someone is caught driving drunk, police say they've usually driven drunk ten times that number.
Last year, 492 people died in Ohio in alcohol-related crashes.
Federal officials say the body eliminates alcohol at the rate of about a drink per hour. That could be a 12-ounce can of beer, a 5-ounce glass of wine or a one-and-a-half ounce shot of liquor.

There should be a 3 strikes law in place such as:
1st offense you lose your liscense for 3-4 months, $500 minimum fine or 500 hrs of community service and 3 days in jail or alcoholic counseling.
2nd offense lose your liscense for a year, $2000 minimum fine or 2000 hrs of community service, 1 month of alcoholic counseling or jailtime and your vehicle is outfitted with a breathalyzer connected to the vehicles starter.
3rd offense lifetime loss of driving priveleges, $5000 fine or 5000 hrs of community service, 1+ yrs of alcoholic counseling or jailtime.
Drunk and high drivers are the worst kind of drivers, they seriously hurt or kill other people while by some miracle they usually survive crashes with little or no injuries.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:27 AM on j-body.org
I don't even see why the guy should have 3 chances... 2 would be the higher limit possible

- 1st offense : The person loose his/her license for a certain time

- 2nd offense : The person loose his/her license and his/her car for a certain time

there's no reasons to give those people another chance. A guy here in Québec, got caught 5 times for drunk driving, the last time he killed a 21 years old guy that was walking.... If they do it one time, there's chances that they will do it again. If they are to stupid to call a taxi if they are drunk, they don't deserve to be behind a steering. To give them a chance is just to give them the possibility to kill someone. How would you react if someone in your family or your friends got killed by a drunk driver and that you knew it's not the first time he was drunk driving...

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:44 AM on j-body.org
Actually, Canada has a forfeiture law (although rarely used) allows a Justice of the Peace to strip a person of their Vehicles, and impose a mandatory prison sentence if they are found to be in control of any motor vehicle on a public highway (ie. all roadways).

IF buddy (seventeen timer) was caught, on the 3rd time, I'd have jailled his ass for 1 year. He didn't get it the first 2 times.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:37 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

IF buddy (seventeen timer) was caught, on the 3rd time, I'd have jailled his ass for 1 year. He didn't get it the first 2 times.

I agree. Heck this one guy my dad knows from high school that he sees in stores from time to time still drinks and drives and he's got numerous DUI's & alcohol related accidents under his belt but he still drives and what's even more unbelievable is a couple of years ago he got a CDL liscense and drove semi's cross country till he got fired for guess what drinking and driving in his semi.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:14 AM on j-body.org
I used to have a friend, please note the use of the words " USED TO", as he's no longer my friend. Anyway hes been nailed for DWI so many times its not funny. He has no licence and he still drives, he just does not care. He still drinks and drives and hes been locked up for it I couldn't tell you how many times. What do you think should be done with people like John? They do not care about what they do or if they hurt anyone all they care about is getting drunk. What do we do with these types of people?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 4:00 PM on j-body.org
^^ therapy, intervention. Otherwise prison

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 2:21 AM on j-body.org
i say u get caught over the limit you are stripped of your driving privileges indefentally. why should we let these people back on our roads, risking more damage and possibly deaths because they want to drive. sure some people may never drink and drive again but the majority of drunk drivers re offend. one guy i work with has lost his licence 3 times!!! and has it again now. the first time he ran a red light and plowed it to some one. second time he ditched his car. and the THIRD time he drove the wrong way down a major divided highway. this is not what i wanna see coming down the road at me. i say F$%K EM let them walk

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:10 AM on j-body.org
license revocation is the true answer.

Driving is a privledge, not a right.

These are some of the reasons why some repeat offenders are required to have a breathalizer integrated into the ignition system.

-Chris

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:46 AM on j-body.org
Jack: There's a pill called anti-buse (I believe..) it's supposed to force the body to reject alcohol when it hits the stomach.

That's what I'd use to deter these people.

There is a case on the books where a guy that had multiple (20+) DUI/DWI convictions and a vehicular manslaughter charges... the judge imposed extra judicial sanctions that gave the courts power to sell his vehicle, his property, and force him to live within a 2 minute walk of a liqour vendor, or face a prison sentence for contempt of court.

Some people should just get the chinese birth solution (ie. formalin injection into the brain).

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 8:32 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:There is a case on the books where a guy that had multiple (20+) DUI/DWI convictions and a vehicular manslaughter charges... the judge imposed extra judicial sanctions that gave the courts power to sell his vehicle, his property, and force him to live within a 2 minute walk of a liqour vendor, or face a prison sentence for contempt of court.

Weird, but almost showing a solution. If the alcohol run is in fact a run and not a drive.

Wonder if it worked?

I remember at college we always walked to the slevens (7-11) for beer runs. No need to drive.

-Chris

Sunday, December 18, 2005 11:24 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

license revocation is the true answer.

X2

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 6:55 PM on j-body.org
IamRascal wrote:
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:There is a case on the books where a guy that had multiple (20+) DUI/DWI convictions and a vehicular manslaughter charges... the judge imposed extra judicial sanctions that gave the courts power to sell his vehicle, his property, and force him to live within a 2 minute walk of a liqour vendor, or face a prison sentence for contempt of court.

Weird, but almost showing a solution. If the alcohol run is in fact a run and not a drive.

Wonder if it worked?

I remember at college we always walked to the slevens (7-11) for beer runs. No need to drive.

It did.. the guy apparently bought liqour enough for several night's worth of binge drinking and died of alcohol poisoning after his 2nd-3rd night in the new place. This was in Toronto as I remember... I'll have to ask my friend that worked the death case.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:12 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
IamRascal wrote:

Wonder if it worked?

It did.. the guy apparently bought liqour enough for several night's worth of binge drinking and died of alcohol poisoning after his 2nd-3rd night in the new place. This was in Toronto as I remember... I'll have to ask my friend that worked the death case.

Darwin would be proud. Another fine citizen voluntarily eliminating themselves from the Gene-pool.

-Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search