US government has unveiled a laser rifle - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
US government has unveiled a laser rifle
Thursday, November 10, 2005 6:19 AM on j-body.org

Re: US government has unveiled a laser rifle
Thursday, November 10, 2005 6:46 AM on j-body.org
Designed to "DAZZLE" the enemy?? Why not just hire Siegfried and Roy? Isn't that what they do? This Is Gay!! And who gives a sh-t if you blind someone on a battle field? YOUR TRYING K I L L them anyway. This is stupid!!

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 8:38 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:Designed to "DAZZLE" the enemy?? Why not just hire Siegfried and Roy?

---

Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:36 PM on j-body.org
You know the "sun-spot" effect you get when you look directly into a pickup trucks headlights? That's called Dazzle.

That weapon is also JUST on the legal side of the anti-blinding provisions of some Geneva war agreements.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 4:53 PM on j-body.org
so theres regulations on wether or not you can blind your enemy with a laser gun. but if you get bored dazzling your enemy feel free to shoot them in the head with your AK with no probs at all.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Thursday, November 10, 2005 5:10 PM on j-body.org
Nathaniel O'Flaherty wrote:so theres regulations on wether or not you can blind your enemy with a laser gun. but if you get bored dazzling your enemy feel free to shoot them in the head with your AK with no probs at all.

Thats my thought? Kinda weird, eh?

Josh
SLK 32

Thursday, November 10, 2005 5:10 PM on j-body.org
yup, gotta love our dumb ass rules of warfare.

btw.....anyone else think it looks like its out of a bad movie? it looks like a toy. well hopefully that means that killing lasers arent too far away, that would be cool, laser guns

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Thursday, November 10, 2005 9:12 PM on j-body.org
It looks like its straigt from Halo2

By the way we are not supposed to Kill the enemy either we are to shoot to disarm LOL

thats what they say but if you happen to kill them collateral damage..

(Insert really cool picture of my car with some catchy name or slogan here)
Thursday, November 10, 2005 9:33 PM on j-body.org
That is for use in a situation like Iraq where deadly force can make the situation worse. There are a lot of things that the military does that does not require killing people.

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Thursday, November 10, 2005 10:14 PM on j-body.org
Saint: True, but leaving them blind isn't a really good option either.

Those types of weapons tend to have a magnified effect on those with glasses or cataracts. Opthomologic care in the mid-east isn't great either.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 11:07 PM on j-body.org
You're right GAM, but to the crowd standing around, it's less upsetting to see someone blinded then it is to see someone shot.

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Thursday, November 10, 2005 11:17 PM on j-body.org
I'd think it'd be more wise to use other techniques to disperse the crowd in the first place, IMHO.

A mob doesn't really need a reason to go off... but why give them a reason? One person blind is as good as any.

Friday, November 11, 2005 4:16 AM on j-body.org
you probably don't even need to shoot it. that gun looks so high tech and scifi i bet just pulling it out will scare people into submission

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Friday, November 11, 2005 4:30 AM on j-body.org
Keep in mind that the primary objective of military action is to disable your enemy, not kill them. It is far better to only disable a soldier as the costs and logistics of keeping that soldier alive serves to further burden the enemy.

In WWII as the end was drawing near and Germany was running out of funds they began using wooden bullets in every other shell. Initially a cost saving measure it turned into a weapon of choice as the wounds were very difficult to deal with but typicly were non-lethal. The allied soldiers that were hit by these bullets required lots of medical attention (to remove thousands of subcutanious slivers) and proved to be a large burden.

Disable their ability to fight, emburden them with logistical problems and make them run out of money, then they will surrender. That is the true objective.

PAX
Friday, November 11, 2005 7:23 AM on j-body.org
Or just kill them all and that way you win. Or if you want to truly burden them then use this stupid laser gun and blind their asses. A blind solider damn sure can't fight.

Friday, November 11, 2005 7:51 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Hahahaha
Today 5:30 AM

Keep in mind that the primary objective of military action is to disable your enemy, not kill them. It is far better to only disable a soldier as the costs and logistics of keeping that soldier alive serves to further burden the enemy.

In WWII as the end was drawing near and Germany was running out of funds they began using wooden bullets in every other shell. Initially a cost saving measure it turned into a weapon of choice as the wounds were very difficult to deal with but typicly were non-lethal. The allied soldiers that were hit by these bullets required lots of medical attention (to remove thousands of subcutanious slivers) and proved to be a large burden.

Disable their ability to fight, emburden them with logistical problems and make them run out of money, then they will surrender. That is the true objective.

Not only a burden but you can't get intel from a dead guy!

(Insert really cool picture of my car with some catchy name or slogan here)
Friday, November 11, 2005 10:06 AM on j-body.org
/\ /\ /\ But you can from a blind one. And hey he can't even run away on you cause HE'S BLIND!!

God sometimes the military is just so freaking stupid.

Friday, November 11, 2005 10:22 AM on j-body.org
They should just make a long range taser, sort of like the arc caster in Starwars Battlefront 2, or the tesla coils in CnC Red Alert. It's non lethal and can take out your oponent without causing permanent damage, provided the correct voltage is used.

-Chris

Friday, November 11, 2005 11:59 AM on j-body.org
Tesla Coils ARE lethal in most cases.

If that weapon makes it to the field, I think it's going to be a short time before someone develops a set of goggles that phase out the light emitted.

Cause and effect.

Friday, November 11, 2005 5:51 PM on j-body.org
What happened to the good old days with Ninjas...

LS1Tech | F-Body.com | Eastern F-Body Association | Toronto F-Body Club
Friday, November 11, 2005 5:56 PM on j-body.org
They got tired of messing up Pirates...

Am I the only one that thinks that gun looks like it walked off the set of Stargate SG-1?

Saturday, November 12, 2005 2:38 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:

If that weapon makes it to the field, I think it's going to be a short time before someone develops a set of goggles that phase out the light emitted.

Cause and effect.

Good Point

Saturday, November 12, 2005 3:41 PM on j-body.org
I could def see this as Mob control but not really on a battle field. Seems like everyone in weapons development has a solution to crowd control.

“Things fall apart. The cracks get wider: More paper is used, with increasing ingenuity, to cover them. Madness implodes, as people are slowly crushed, or, perhaps worse, help in crushing others.”

--Jon Savage
--Melody Maker’s Review of Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures when asked “ How has Unknown Pleasures has affected you”

Monday, November 14, 2005 7:20 AM on j-body.org
Interesting hmmm.. Many weapons being developed to deal with cround control and supression of domestic "terrorists" hmmm.. I wonder what they know that we don't (yet)?

PAX
Monday, November 14, 2005 9:16 AM on j-body.org
Well besides the fact that its as big and bulky as $#it what the hell..... I dont know about you guys but I think I would want to kill they guy tryin to kill me.... just because he is blinded by the "Dazzle" doesnt mean he cant drive his car bomb into something or shoot randomly.... DUMB DUMB DUMB idea. If you are going to make something like this it needs to kill the person just my two cents....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search