Cuban Missle Crisis - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cuban Missle Crisis
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:39 AM on j-body.org
**DIsclaimer: I'm not posting this to start @!#$ or get another internet argument on the go; it is merely a brain fart I had while I should've been writing a term paper, nothing more. Discuss, but I don't care if you think I'm an idiot, moron, Left-wing, communist, etc.**

So I was just thinking about the missle crisis, and how the general opinion among Americans is that Kennedy was the true hero in it all, standing up to pressure and whatnot; But I see it differently. I feel that Kruschev was a hero is his own right. Even after Kennedy turned down the Soviet's offer to turn the ships around if the US removed their missles from Turkey, He had the balls to sacrifice his political carreer to prevent a nuclear war.

What does everyone else think? How many people even know/knew about the missles in turkey?

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."

Re: Cuban Missle Crisis
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:49 AM on j-body.org
As an interesting side note, according to a book That I read a few years ago("October Fury' or "October Rising", can't remember), The Soviets had subs in the water with the tankers at the time of the naval blockade; Each were armed with a nuclear tipped torpedo, and their respective captains were given orders to use them at their own disgression. Crazy, hey?

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 4:54 PM on j-body.org
The main reason we praise Kennedy is becuase he was American...I can see your point...and he did sacrifice his political career, but I think the main reason that we praise kennedy was becuase he stood up to the soviet and cuban thret against American lives and land.

But very interesting idea and info

If your interested in all that stuff watch "13 Days" very good movie...and read up on the Bay of Pigs incident...let me say that should have been the first and last time the CIA trains combatants...just my 2 cents

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:07 PM on j-body.org
It should have went...

OK, I'll remove my missles from Turkey if you pull yours out of East Germany

And so on, and so on...

PAX
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:54 PM on j-body.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis

Might be worth a look.

I think that in Russia, like the USA, the people with REAL political power aren't the ones that are front-and-center...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khrushchev
Khrushchev did a lot that was not in step with the ideals cultivated in the 40's and 50's by Stalin. He was what you'd call a komrade's komrade. It's scary because he actually denounced Stalin during the time that counter-revolutionary purges were happening.

However, he didn't have the kind of control over the empire that Stalin had, and after that, Brezhnev really liberalised the USSR and the satellite states. Even though Khrushchev was retired by force and died under house-arrest, and he started the Cuban missile crisis, he had the good sense to stop the escalation.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, November 18, 2005 4:44 PM on j-body.org
I think that was handled properly. The only thing that scares me is the fact that Russia (now) cannot account for all their "material" Do they have a Ebay for the black market overseas? lol

Josh
SLK 32

Saturday, November 19, 2005 1:32 PM on j-body.org
i think the true heroes of the cuban missle crisis were the moms and dads of both countries that built bomb shelters to protect their families because the politicians were @!#$ retards.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Sunday, November 20, 2005 4:19 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]i think the true heroes of the cuban missle crisis were the moms and dads of both countries that built bomb shelters to protect their families because the politicians were @!#$ retards.

Well you can think of it that way, or you can think of it as just adding the fuel to the "Red Scare" I mean the worst think you can do is to show that your afraid right?

Monday, November 21, 2005 3:57 AM on j-body.org
^^^ 'Tis better to be prepared and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Plus, bomb shelters were great tool sheds and places to puff reefer.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, November 21, 2005 8:53 AM on j-body.org
Not looking at it as a fear thing, but more or less how at least the moms and dads of both the soviets and the americans were trying to be somewhat responsible and protecting their familes, while the leaders of both the U.S. and the Soviets were being rather irresponsible with their missiles...

Kinda makes me think that Kennedy and Kruschief weren't to fat-in-the-pants if they had to compete over who parked who's missle where...

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, November 21, 2005 7:24 PM on j-body.org
^^^^^ Yea it would be baddass to have a old bombshelter underground in your backyard.

1997 Sunfire
WAI
pacesetter header
Underdrive pulley = STILL SLOW.
50 shot of NX

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search