Smoking Ban In US - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Smoking Ban In US
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:15 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

I enjoy it, its relaxing. However,

Ya, so is masturbauting, you dont see people doing that in bars and restuarants, and people getting 2nd hand cancer from semen.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:22 AM on j-body.org
well i dont wanna get flammed or anything but i disagree with about everyone in here. i cant handle smoke, i have asthma. not to sound like a pussy or anything but i think people should have had the respect even before the band no to smoke in public places....thats great you wanna do that to your self but second hand smoke it just as bad as first hand. there are 60+ carcinogins in second hand smoke(chemicals that cause cancer) and we all know that not helping anyone. how you you like it if your children ended up getting cancer from some ass smoking in a resteraunt beside them, when they had never been stupid enough to smoke in their lives. also things like nicoten and carbon dioxide are given off in large amounts and they mess with how your cells grow, that can screw you up too. second hand smoke also causes lung and nasal cancer....this makes up for 3000 deaths of non smokers each year. sorry but i just dont see where smoking in public places is helping anyone.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:40 AM on j-body.org
Fallen Angel, I quite cold turkey almost 6 years ago. You need will power, If you have none you'll never quite.
And don't you guys realize what kind of mods you could have done if you saved all your cigerette money and spent it on your cars? Or on anything else? Its a lot of cash your throwing away. Add up what you spent just last year alone and then multiply that by how long you've been burning up your cash and come bach here and tell us all how much money you all have wasted.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:43 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Personally I dont smoke like im addicted, but more like on occasion (Parties and what not). I enjoy it, its relaxing. However, I personally dislike smoking in Public areas because i feel like im disrespecting non-smokers, hence why i smoke outside.

Most people are not as respectful as you are, hence the possible ban.
Quote:

there are 60+ carcinogins in second hand smoke(chemicals that cause cancer) and we all know that not helping anyone.

Beer causes liver disease, car crashes kill people, @!#$ even hotdogs can kill people. It's in our human nature to kill ourselves, but atleast give me the respect to kill myself instead of others smoking around me and them killing me.

**The Daily Driver**
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/4802/image3jp7dc.jpg
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:13 AM on j-body.org
Well, at the end of this discussion not much has changed. However, the people that keep insisting that smokers are wasting money. STFU. Buying anything that you do not need is wasting money. This includes souping up cars, buying an mp3 player, etc. These are all things we want... not need. Therefore, by your theory of wasting money on smokes should apply to everything else that you buy but do NOT need.

We choose to spend the money on smokes. I personally don't drink... therefore, the money I am saving on buying beers every Fri-Sat night, I can easily afford smokes... and don't tell me that booze doesn't add up either. I know people that blow thier paychecks on booze at a bar in one weekend.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:17 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Do you think there should be a United States inforced smoking ban on all resteraunts and bars? I do. I think that smokers shouldn't even smoke OUTDOORS. Just in the car, and home. Smokers piss me off. They are SOOO inconsiderate and rude. They just need to stop, it cant be THAT hard!

I would like to thank you for being an idiot. You assumed that all smokers are the same and that none of us care about anyone else. Quitting smoking is hard, I'm trying right now. But when someone ticks me off I'd rather burn some tobacco then goto jail for burning their face. I will smoke outdoors if I want. Saves me the trouble of having a house smell like smoke and the walls turning yellow. My parents moved to a new house and will only smoke outside after having to repaint all the walls in their old house. Smoking in the car IS smoking outside. And once again, you shouldn't call all smokers the same thing. It's like me saying all black people can rap, not true at all.

Quote:

The problem is that it is a nuesance. I even see pregnate women smoking! When are you all going to realize you are slaves to a multi billion dollar company. You dont smoke because you want to, you smoke because you THINK you have to...! It's all in your head!

Pregnant women that smoke are idiots. They're endangering themselves and the life of an unborn child. All my friends who smoke quit when they were pregnant and most haven't re-started. We are not "Slaves to a multi billion dollar company." There are more companies then one and they don't own my soul. Once again, only the people who quit smoking can say for certain whether or not they kept smoking because they thought they had to or not.

Now for my personal opinion on this "ban". I will smoke outside if I want to but I'm considerate of other people. If there's a crowd walking by I wait until they pass before inhaling. It's alot easier to smoke outside then it is to repaint your walls every couple of years and have people walk into a house that smells like an ashtray. But for whatever reason, if this "ban" ever comes around they're going to have to force me to obey it cuz so far the only people that are hurt by my smoking are the people who smoke with me.

* Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:22 AM on j-body.org
Blaze I wasn't starting with you or any other smoker I was simply asking a question. If you chose not to answer it thats cool but don't start with the STFU stuff as I was keeping it as a civilized conversation not one intended as an attack on you or anyone else.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:24 AM on j-body.org
And
Quote:

Just for everyone's information, in Alberta, there's a smoking ban in ALL indoor buildings (bars, restaurants, offices etc). That's not all, there's also a MINIMUM DISTANCE you have to be from a building before you light up. I think it's like 6 ft or something, I dunno.

We can't smoke in univeristy buildings (including dorms) but we are allowed to smoke outside. But we cannot smoke within 25 feet of any entrance to a building.

* Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:28 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:Blaze I wasn't starting with you or any other smoker I was simply asking a question. If you chose not to answer it thats cool but don't start with the STFU stuff as I was keeping it as a civilized conversation not one intended as an attack on you or anyone else.

It wasn't aimed at you... I am generally saying.
I have heard so many people tell me that exact same thing about saving money. If that is your ultimate goal then it can be accomplished in more ways then just quitting smoking.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:38 AM on j-body.org
ban tobacco, YAY

legalize weed in resturants. They'll make millions, you'll get hungry while you eat

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:40 AM on j-body.org
^ Agreed. lol

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:57 AM on j-body.org
My $0.02

Mind your own @!#$ business.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/559749/1
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 12:33 PM on j-body.org
But if your a non-smoker and someones smokeing next to you it IS your business.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 1:19 PM on j-body.org
Smoking in a restaraunt does bother me, but I have a choice to choose the non-smoking section in a restaraunt.

I am not necessarily angry over the smoking issue but hurt.

My father passed away from smoking and I'm left without a father. For the 2 or 3 minutes of a high, they are slowly killing themselves. Yes, not everyone gets killed from smoking, but a lot do. If people were in my shoes, they'd probably think differently. I watch every morning as my mom wakes up and hacks her guts up in a sink and coughs 2/3 of the day. I watch her go in the laundry room, smoke a cigarette, and then come in smelling like something died. It makes me a little agitated to know that she won't hear me out when I say my clothes stink (I live in a trailer). I get asked what the smell is and it's embarassing at times.

I feel sorry for the parents that smoke with the windows up and the little kids are in the back.
I really don't think a lot of smokers care about what they're doing to themselves. It's their choice. I worry about the next generation (kids, ect.)..

I believe eventually smoking will be banned from restaraunts.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 1:30 PM on j-body.org
Kardain:

Even though i'm a nonsmker, i voted against the law because of the civil libery issues...further, if one bar is smoking, then pop up a nonsmoking bar down the street and watch the business boom

Still, the recockulous part of it was 25' from any public doorway, which pretty much negates any smoking in downtown Seattle.

A frew friends of mine are liking the idea of having a huge smoke-off right in the middle of the street during rush hour (25' away from the doorways) to the Kin County Administration building, and have fans pointing straight in on it....

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 1:32 PM on j-body.org
Fiend wrote:
Now I realize that this may not be indicative of the whole, and it'd be stupid of me to make a broad generalization of the whole based on my limited experience...HOWEVER...it would also be stupid of you to make a broad generalization based on the inverse.

Fact: I didn't make it up I read it in The New York Times.

Another Fact: I don't give a @!#$ either way.

ThankyoumuchTTYLbye.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 1:38 PM on j-body.org
This is back when I use to be a little girl...

J/K

All this talk has made me realize, I haven't had a smoke yet... Break time...

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 1:42 PM on j-body.org
Once you smoke for awhile it seems to become a lifestyle. I've smoked for about 6 years total now and things dealing with smoking have become a routine. When I get in the car to go somewhere I light up a cigarette, half the time I do it without even thinking about it. I smoke so much that I know it's unhealthy and I do feel like crap everyday because of it, but when I quit smoking when I was pregnant I felt even worse. ALWAYS had cravings for 9+ months they never went away, had pains in my chest, shortness of breath, feeling like i was coughing up my lungs. And that was when I quit smoking. I can get addicted to stuff easily (which is why I try to stay away from alcohol besides a drink every now and then), so I avoided everything when I was pregnant otherwise I knew I'd give in to temptation. I literally just stayed home most of the time.

After having the baby I went out to a bar with some friends for a local concert. Swamped with smoke everywhere, I started getting light headed, very bad headache.. right then I gave in and had a smoke. Everything went away i felt absolutely perfectly fine. And so the addiction began again.

If you've never been a smoker sure it may be fine to be around it of course you're not gonna want one. If you are a smoker well thats obvious, but during quitting time itd be nice to go hang out where theres no smokers. Just like with recovering alcoholics, what do you think will most likely happen when theres bottles of beer and liquor sprawled out in front of them. If it comes down to it, enforce places to have a smoking license, along with liqour licenses but don't completely ban it everywhere.

Toon Gallery | Sig Gallery | MySpace Page
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 1:53 PM on j-body.org
Sizzy: NY Times studied inital reactions, long term (ie over 2 years) after a ban is enacted, business actually exceeds what was there pre-ban.

For Bars, however... it stays about the same.

We've had a ban in Ontario in Restaraunts and bars for about 4 years. At first, business dropped, but it's better than ever now.

Kardain: You choose to smoke, fine... How would you enjoy it if someone chose to perpetually flatulate in your face while you were eating? It's the same ish. If you want to suck back on the business end of a cancer stick, that's your choice, but you shouldn't be allowed to screw up my good time doing that. Taking your filthy habit outside is a courtesy, smoking isn't a right.

If you're not big on going outside to light up, use the patch.

BTW, yes, I was a smoker (of cigars), and my GF is a smoker, but she is only allowed to smoke in the Kitchen with the window open in the winter, and outside in the nicer weather. This way, the house doesn't smell like charred ass.

KOTL: no smoking within 25 feet of a door? harsh...

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 2:11 PM on j-body.org
Instead of banning smoking in biuldings, why not just reinforce having smoking sections in resturaunts???? I am a non smoker, I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, but I think it should be up to the business owners entirely. If I want to eat without smoke hovering over me, I will go to a resturaunt with a good seperated smoking/non section, or one banned. And if I was a smoker I would go to one where there is a good seperate sections.

1997 Sunfire
WAI
pacesetter header
Underdrive pulley = STILL SLOW.
50 shot of NX
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 2:43 PM on j-body.org
your not allowed to smoke in any bars or restaurants in the uk or any public places and if you do you get a £200 fine

----------------------------------------------------------------
DIDDE 2005 (AKA DAVE TURNER) (THE BRITISH GUY)
COMIN AT YOU FROM MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, BETTAH RECOGNIZE,
A DRUNK PERSONS WORDS ARE A SOBER PERSONS THOUGHTS.

SEE PICS OF MY CAR HERE: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=87950&t=87950

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:36 PM on j-body.org
i thought this was the whole point of "smoking sections" in restaurants? so that the smokers and non-smokers could be segregated and not piss each other off

Thursday, November 24, 2005 9:34 AM on j-body.org
I honestly think people need to chill the hell out.....blah blah 2nd hand smoke is bad for you and all that bull @!#$.....

well so is taco bell.... that could kill you a few years early if you eat it enough, so could beer, so could being overweight, so could being depressed and stressed etc....do you know how many things are "bad" for you that we do every day? It's just that a few nonsmokers make such a freakin big deal about it.

have smoking bars and non smoking bars if you really want to seperate it.....but you know what? i bet most of the non smoking bars would go under if they did that

Thursday, November 24, 2005 9:48 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

i thought this was the whole point of "smoking sections" in restaurants? so that the smokers and non-smokers could be segregated and not piss each other off

Oh ya, a piece of tempered glass between booths is really supposed to deter smoke from floating everywhere.

Quote:

I honestly think people need to chill the hell out.....blah blah 2nd hand smoke is bad for you and all that bull @!#$.....

well so is taco bell.... that could kill you a few years early if you eat it enough, so could beer, so could being overweight, so could being depressed and stressed etc....do you know how many things are "bad" for you that we do every day? It's just that a few nonsmokers make such a freakin big deal about it.

Youre comparing food, something we all need to live, to cigarettes, something we dont need to live...... Cigarettes do no one anygood, the world would be a better place if tabacco companies never existed. And dont feed me the BS about tabacco companies giving money to anti-smoking programs cuz we wouldnt need anti-smoking programs if they didnt make cancer sticks that kill you prematurely. Smokers come up with some of the lamest @!#$ing excuses to smoke Ive ever heard. Its smelly, its dirty, and does no one any good. You all act like its some kind of great @!#$ing recreational activity that you smokers cant live without. The majority of you prob started smoking in highschool cuz all your "cool" buddies were doing it and you wanted to rebel against your parents and now youre just addicted and cant stop. Its nothing worse than being addicted to alchohal or drugs. I dont have any respect for anyone who becomes dependent on something that causes harm to others whether its 2nd hand smoke or drinking and driving or spending your last amount of money on the "next high"

Thursday, November 24, 2005 10:15 AM on j-body.org
Z2FLIP4 wrote:
97cavy22 wrote:I honestly think people need to chill the hell out.....blah blah 2nd hand smoke is bad for you and all that bull @!#$.....

Youre comparing food, something we all need to live, to cigarettes, something we dont need to live...... Cigarettes do no one anygood, the world would be a better place if tabacco companies never existed. And dont feed me the BS about tabacco companies giving money to anti-smoking programs cuz we wouldnt need anti-smoking programs if they didnt make cancer sticks that kill you prematurely. Smokers come up with some of the lamest @!#$ing excuses to smoke Ive ever heard. Its smelly, its dirty, and does no one any good. You all act like its some kind of great @!#$ing recreational activity that you smokers cant live without. The majority of you prob started smoking in highschool cuz all your "cool" buddies were doing it and you wanted to rebel against your parents and now youre just addicted and cant stop. Its nothing worse than being addicted to alchohal or drugs. I dont have any respect for anyone who becomes dependent on something that causes harm to others whether its 2nd hand smoke or drinking and driving or spending your last amount of money on the "next high"

To add to that, eating at Taco Bell, drinking beer, being overweight etc are things that I can take care of or avoid. Second hand smoke is something that I can't do. Why should I be forced to inhale smoke if all I want to do is hang out at a bar/restuarant/food court? And don't say I could always go somewhere else, because the smoker can as well.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search