Election in Canada - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Election in Canada
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 1:33 AM on j-body.org
Well it has finally happened, the Liberal government has fallen.

Personally I think we will still have a minority government after this election but with less Liberals but more NDP and Conservatives.

My question too all you Canadians is two fold:
1) Who would you like to see win / think will win

2)Are any of you helping / donating / are a local canadate?

For any non-Canadians the CBC has a good artical on the life of the current govenment
HERE which also includes election info.

In the last election Canada voted like THIS in 2004:
Liberal -- 135 36.71% of vote
Conservatives -- 99 29.61%
Bloc Quebecois - 54 12.40%
New Democrates 19 15.69%
Independent 1 .13%
Other 0 5.47%

The website for the major parties are here:

Liberal Party of Canada (former governing party)
NDP - New Democratic Party of Canada (helped support the Liberals up until now)
Conservative Party of Canada (Had the second most number of seats)
Bloc Quebecois (Quebec only party) (their website is in French)

Re: Election in Canada
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 1:35 AM on j-body.org
I ment to say also that I think Paul Martin will be Prime Minister again, except with even less seats.
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 2:41 AM on j-body.org
The only way they can defeat Paul Martin is by getting together. If all the opposition would get together and form 1 group other than a bunch of small group, they would have a chance to win. Otherwise, they are not big enough and they don't get vote across the country.

The Bloc get votes in quebec, the conservative get votes from the west. So you have the middle of the country that need to decide and they most likely don't have much conservative or people from the bloc to vote for.

They are a bit stupid in a certain way. If they join their forces, they can defeat the Liberals.

Right now it's just a big waste of money cause the same thing will happend again and again.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 4:02 AM on j-body.org
The Bloc has been doing a STELLAR job in Quebec </sarcasm>.

The Conservatives haven't got the chops to govern, yet. And the NDP won't be doing anything new. I think the Liberals will end up in driver's seat, after pitting the others against themselves.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 4:47 AM on j-body.org
I wish the Conservatives hard a more experienced leader. Harper just isn't ready for prime time in my opinion. Otherwise it'd be a no-brainer.

PAX
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 5:37 PM on j-body.org
I dunno... Harper is just a weeeee bit too creepy. Have you seen when he smiles? I want to make sure there aren't any kids in the room. Seriously, the first time I saw him, I thought he looked like Ted Bundy.

I don't like his politics, anyhow. Most of his comments have been sucking the ass of the USA, and I'm not liking it. Martin originally had a rapport with Bush, but it seems that the only way to get Dubya's attention (and make him realise who the US's friends really are) is to yank their chains for a bit.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 6:07 PM on j-body.org
^^^ indeed the conservatives are basically the very right wing Canadian Alliance, which isn't good. They like Bush too much and not socially forward thinking enough for may taste (their pro-life , anti-gay marriage ...)

personally I've been out helping my local NDP candidate.
The NDP has been doing a good job as of late IMO.
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 6:24 PM on j-body.org
I'm going to vote Liberal, mainly because:
1. I am on speaking terms with my local candidate, and have been since I moved here about 3 years ago, and when I was in my former riding, the liberal candidate that won (handily I might add) was very trustworthy as well.
2. The last time a federal PC candidate was in power, we were in massive defecits, and all we got to show for it was NAFTA and the GST.
3. I don't want C.R.A.P. in the house of commons.

I HAD thought about voting Green, but I decided not to because they weren't enough of a force to really be established and stake a claim. I wouldn't vote NDP, mainly because of Bob Rae's illustrious career, not that it's a shot against the NDP party, but I don't agree with NDP politics, and Jack Layton isn't really as much a force that he thinks he is...

If you look at it objectively, the Conservatives are shakey at best (they have a remarkable ability to piss off their core supporters in droves), NDP isn't going to be able to to much more than sway a gov't, and the Bloc Quebecois (which, in my opinion should NOT be allowed to be a national party, nor should the PQ be allowed provincial party status) has no appeal outside Quebec, so they will never be able to ever form the Government.

There are other choices, but I don't like any over the grits.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 9:09 AM on j-body.org
<puts on fame suit to stir up the @!#$...>

So, you guys are electing the new ranger for our largest national park? <j/k>

In all seriousnes, us yankee capitolist pigdogs could learn something for you guys...adding another party might make things a little better than OUR last election.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 9:13 AM on j-body.org
Lib...

1. Harper can even answer a basic question. Do you love Canada?
2. Libs have reduced the deficite health care is much better Canada is a better place by being red!
3. We wont be like the Bush government!

"Silver 2001 Cavalier z24 5 speed 2 door sunroof and power everything "

AEM Short Ram Intake
B&M Short Throw Shifter
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 9:45 AM on j-body.org
From http://www.zerra.net/freemohamed/content.php?article.323

Quote:

"Paul Martin's well-intended (but misguided) warm, fuzzy statement about shared values between Canada and Israel comes up very short on substance."

Earlier this month, in a speech delivered at the United Jewish Communities' General Assembly in Toronto, Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin said, "we have understood in Canada for some time now, that Israel's values are Canada's values."

But are they? To my knowledge, no editorials, no op-ed's, and no politicians have yet commented publicly on the implications of our prime minister's blanket statement, or on the speech itself -- the full text of which was published by the National Post under the headline, "Israel's values are Canada's values."

So let us stop for a moment and examine the top ten reasons (among many) why reality might paint a very different picture of the rose-coloured feeling our PM suggested:

1. Israel has no constitution. A constitution is a must for any democracy. Constitutions are needed to establish clearly defined physical, ethical, humanitarian and legal borders, recognizing the citizens living within them -- both their rights and their responsibilities. Since Israel has not made up its mind which lands it will grab from the Palestinians to include within its politically flexible borders, it has in effect no legitimate borders, no constitution, and no true democracy. This way of running a state does not reflect Canadian legal, political or philosophical values.

2. Israel is a self-declared Jewish state. Its army drafts almost exclusively Jews for military service. Compulsory and racially exclusive conscription by the armed forces does not reflect traditional Canadian values.

3. Israel's immigration policy discriminates on the basis of religion. Only Jews are allowed to live permanently in Israel, while any Palestinians (whether Muslim or Christian) are barred from ever returning if they leave. This is emphatically not a Canadian value.

4. Israel militarily occupies lands belonging to its neighbours. For nearly 40 years, it has subjected their indigneous populations to terror and deprivation through military violence. This is not a Canadian value. Canada, although admittedly not perfect in its treatment of pre-colonial and/or indigenous peoples, rejects policies of deliberate subjugation and military terrorism and is making substantial efforts to acknowledge and redress both present and historical injustices within its own borders.

5. Israel has never admitted wrongdoing. After more than half a century of using arbitrary and often brutal methods to establish and maintain statehood, no healing and reconciliation process towards indigenous and diaspora Palestinian populations has been initiated. Israel has ignored strong encouragement to do so from the international community, from the UN and from Palestinians themselves. This is not a Canadian value.

6. Israel is a threatening nuclear power. Israel's nuclear capability is a potential weapon of mass destruction towards its neighbours and the world. Canada, a leader in the development of peaceful-use nuclear technology, does not stockpile weapons to threaten the world under the guise of self-protection. This is not a Canadian value.

7. Israel refuses to see itself as part of Asia or the Middle East. Israel has always stood aloof from the international community, rather than develop itself as a Jewish majority state that is committed to achieving peace and justice for all, including non-Jews. Perversely, it maintains before the rest of the world a facade of uniqueness, fed by an ingrained siege mentality. This is not a Canadian value.

8. Israeli Jews are obligated to follow the Halakah. The Halakah (Jewish Law) rules in matters of divorce; there is no civil dissolution of marriage allowed. Halakah Law also forbids Israeli Jews from marrying outside their faith. This restrictive and discriminatory method of maintaining "racial purity" is not a Canadian value.

9. Israeli towns with significant Arab populations are under-funded. Towns such as Kafr Kasem are significantly under-resourced in comparison to all-Jewish ones. While national equality in civic funding is a difficult ideal to attain, Canadian policy recognizes that the effort must be made in order to ensure a healthier and stronger future for coming generations. Deliberate municipal starvation that results from the under-supply or withholding of essential utilities and public services is not a Canadian value.

10. Israeli schools openly teach hatred towards Palestinians. Canadian educators are increasingly aware of the need to teach our youth as completely and accurately as possible about the history of our diverse peoples, both in peacetime and in conflict. Our education system rejects built-in discrimination and brainwashing. Israel's anti-Palestinian indoctrination policy -- reflected in the textbooks and teaching methods of its schools -- is also not a Canadian value.

In light of only ten points of comparison -- and it would not be difficult to find more -- Paul Martin's well-intended (but misguided) warm, fuzzy statement about shared values between Canada and Israel comes up very short on substance. In fact, it would be a very different, and happier, world if we did share as much in common as the PM's Nov. 13 speech naively suggested.

Only on the thinnest surface does Israeli life even remotely reflect so-called "Canadian values." Sad but true.

All I really wonder is why we cannot just have good solid Canadian values and stop pandering to and kissing the butt of other countries/leaders/ethnic groups. The above statement by Martin says to me that he is little more than a yes man, who says what he thinks will win support without actually thinking about what he said.

He was a great finance Minister (who pretends he didn't know where the money was going) but he's no statesman, and certainly not competent to run the government. IMO

PAX

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 2:03 PM on j-body.org
Its just going to be the same old $hit over and over again. There will still be more leaders voted into power who still don't give a flying pig fart about what goes on in the west. The only time Ottawa pretends to care is when there's problems, even then there's nothing done.

I'm about as conservative as you can get, but when your uncle is a senator what else would you expect.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 2:14 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:All I really wonder is why we cannot just have good solid Canadian values and stop pandering to and kissing the butt of other countries/leaders/ethnic groups. The above statement by Martin says to me that he is little more than a yes man, who says what he thinks will win support without actually thinking about what he said.

He was a great finance Minister (who pretends he didn't know where the money was going) but he's no statesman, and certainly not competent to run the government. IMOPAX

When the money started going askew, he wasn't in a position to dictate what was happening to it, Ministers of finance were supposed to be in cabinet, but apparently no one told Jean Poutine.

And you're not going to get much from the Conservatives (US/Western ass kissers) and the NDP (Kisses everyone's ass). Liberals at least can keep things together somewhat.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 3:40 PM on j-body.org
Graden: This wasn't Senator Lance Prevert, was it?

And i hope SOME of you get that reference...

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 4:30 PM on j-body.org
lol, thats great. He's Len Gustafson.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:09 PM on j-body.org
Graden wrote:Its just going to be the same old $hit over and over again. There will still be more leaders voted into power who still don't give a flying pig fart about what goes on in the west. The only time Ottawa pretends to care is when there's problems, even then there's nothing done.

I'm about as conservative as you can get, but when your uncle is a senator what else would you expect.

As someone from Ontario, I would like you to know that not everyone here is ignorant to the issues in the west. I grew up on a farm, raise primarily beef. Many of our issues here mirror the problems in the western cattle industry. Ontario farmsers feel just as neglected. I think out there its seen as an east vs west issue, but here its a rural vs urban issue. Because of the fact that coperate farms are taking over and that urban populations simply out number rural voices, we are lost in the crowd. That's not to say that agricultural issues are the only concern in the west, but I'm sure they figure largely.

I think 80% of farmers are conservative.

PAX
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:23 PM on j-body.org
Sounds about right...form a U.S. perspective, you look at a map based on precints where people vote and all, urban areas are generally democrat while rural areas are conservative.

Hell, in the cluster@!#$ that Washington State called it's last gubernatorial election, the republicans nearly had taken the race, until King, Snohomish, and Pierce counties (read: Seattle, Everett, and Tacoma) reported, and thre the race into a dead heat, only to have the electioon disputed, both parties experiencing voter fraud, and whatnot.

So, urban is usually liberal, rural is conservative...

except for enumclaw...you can't be conservative and be the filming site of www.funwithmules.com.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, December 01, 2005 12:41 AM on j-body.org
As for what GAM and Joe Peps said about the Liberal's I agree. They are definitely a step ahead of of the conservatives and it's true, the NDP will most likely never form the government or even the official opposition, but in my riding it was close, and besides even if your conservative I think you'd agree that Nina and Gurmant Grewal really don't deserve to get elected again after that taping scandal.

I think the worst thing anyone can do in this next election is not vote.
And also vote for who you would want to win (even if they probably won't) because each vote a person gets the government gives them about $0.90 per vote in support funding, so you would be helping those for next time.

Elections are expensive
My NDP candidate Berry Bell has already spent about $7500
and are is basically out of money.
-$4000 on 100 4feet by 4feet signs and 750 lawn signs
-$500 on lumber for the signs (this was bought below cost from a supporter)
-$2500 on 3000 colour flyers and 2000 (double sized) colour business cards
-$500 office supplies
-? rent for an office (we haven't found one yet)

P.S. seen as I'm going to be actively helping my Candidate campaign if anyone as any question about what goes on behind the scenes I'd be happy to answer questions.
Thursday, December 01, 2005 10:17 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

As someone from Ontario, I would like you to know that not everyone here is ignorant to the issues in the west. I grew up on a farm, raise primarily beef. Many of our issues here mirror the problems in the western cattle industry. Ontario farmsers feel just as neglected. I think out there its seen as an east vs west issue, but here its a rural vs urban issue. Because of the fact that coperate farms are taking over and that urban populations simply out number rural voices, we are lost in the crowd. That's not to say that agricultural issues are the only concern in the west, but I'm sure they figure largely.

I didn't say that everyone in the east is ignorant to the issues in the west. Yes the farming issues are big both with cattle and grain but now the biggest issue is the softwood lumber topic with the states. The US has been imposing illegial tarrifs on Canadian softwood lumber, the US owes billions of dollars to Canadian companies. Whole communities in BC are out of work because of this and its been going on way longer than it ever should have.

The first duties were imposed by the US in may of 2002, its almost 2006 now. Both the NAFTA and the WTO ruled in our favor that the US was wrong in imposing those tariffs and that they were to repay the billions of dollars owed. The US's response to this was that the ruling didn't settle anything and that it would take more negotiations before the dispute was wrapped up.

This is where you need a government who gets tough, doesn't take any $hit and does what it has to do to get this resolved.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 10:59 AM on j-body.org
But try that with claigula bush in the ofice, and instead of being out "largest national park" you'll end up "our largest parking lot". Not that I think it's right, just a realistic assessment of the current tone from Washington. Just one yaboloo to say Canada has oil and is harboring WoMD...

Realistically though, the issue is more complex. OUR softwood industry, sells of OUR lumber to asian countries for like $.03/board foot, and they sit in a warehouse for a few years, then we buy them back for like $3 a board foot--or some other grotesque figure. Why, I have no clue.

Now maybe, just maybe, if we told those sasan companies to make us more pokemon cartoons, sold ourselves our own lumber without the middleman, maybe, just maybe, any ezxtra we need from canada we wouldn't put tarrifs on and could pay back.

Personally, i think that the selling abd buying back and the tarriffs are something having to to with keeping the profit margins higher for Weyerhauser.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, December 01, 2005 12:10 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

But try that with claigula bush in the ofice, and instead of being out "largest national park" you'll end up "our largest parking lot". Not that I think it's right, just a realistic assessment of the current tone from Washington. Just one yaboloo to say Canada has oil and is harboring WoMD...

No doubt Bush and his administration aren't the smartest ever to be elected but I don't think even they are that stupid. If the US ever made an attack on Canada the United States would lose. It would be a war between pretty much the rest of the world and the United states. This is a whole different topic for another thread if needs be.

Quote:

Now maybe, just maybe, if we told those sasan companies to make us more pokemon cartoons, sold ourselves our own lumber without the middleman, maybe, just maybe, any ezxtra we need from canada we wouldn't put tarrifs on and could pay back.

Alot of time the US lumber is sold to Japan because US companies would rather stock the better quality Canadian lumber.

This trade matters to both Canadians and Americans. Canada’s forestry sector employs over 290,000 Canadians, and roughly 300 communities are dependent upon the forestry sector. U.S. lumber producers cannot meet domestic demand for softwood lumber: consequently, Canada now supplies over a third of the United States' consumption of this product. The U.S. housing and other industries, which employ over 7 million American workers, have come to rely upon unfettered access to this quality product.

As soon as the illegial tarrifs were applied they should have stopped sending any lumber over the border. The issue would have been totally resolved in a matter of weeks, not years.

Thats what I've been saying all along, we need people in power who are not afraid to play hardball. There is no other country in the world that has the variety and amounts of natural resources that Canada has, yet we will never see what could actually be done with this kind of potential.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 12:19 PM on j-body.org
I'll give you that, because canada doesn't really have many enemies, so we would be fighting a multi-front war on that. but remeber, we're americans--our bastardry is unsurpassed.

Now, a lot of the lumber from the U.S. is as-good as it is in canda, the difference is the degree of lumber and how much--we could no way supply the U.S. with the amount of lumber we need--even with Weyerhauser logging in restricted areas. My point was that it seems a bit odd to me that we'd be selling our lumber, buying it back more expensive, and posing HEEEEUGE tarrifs on canadian lumber.

It seems to me, that someone is trying to inflate the prices artificially. Kinda like oil. It's like when they paid farmers in the midwest to NOT grow food to keep the produce prices up.

Personally though, i have no problems with canadians...aside from not speaking their mind (the opposite of why you call americans "rude", we do speak our minds and we come off that way), i think you guys are great. Hell, based on the last election, apparently, i live in the "united states of canada" while most iof the rest of the country lives in "jesusland" . Plus you guys like hockey, what's not to like?

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, December 01, 2005 12:49 PM on j-body.org
actually canadian softwood is far superior to usa softwood. the reason in the first place for the tariffs was that us lumber was complaining that noone was buying us wood due to its inferiority. canadian softwood was the top choice for home builders and was priced at a premium to the american stuff. the government folded under the lobbyists weight and decided to penalize canada for having a better product and taxed it to death. it is still used but mainly in higher priced homes that can afford to carry a premium price for the better materials.
Thursday, December 01, 2005 2:06 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

It seems to me, that someone is trying to inflate the prices artificially. Kinda like oil. It's like when they paid farmers in the midwest to NOT grow food to keep the produce prices up.

Of course they are, and really... they will inflate prices only because the economy can bear the load. Lumber could be a quarter of the price it is right now, in BC only a very small fraction of available forests are harvested. Annually, twice the amount that is harvested is replanted, its a resource that will never be depleated. No matter what any tree hugger says.

Quote:

Personally though, i have no problems with canadians...aside from not speaking their mind (the opposite of why you call americans "rude", we do speak our minds and we come off that way), i think you guys are great. Hell, based on the last election, apparently, i live in the "united states of canada" while most iof the rest of the country lives in "jesusland" . Plus you guys like hockey, what's not to like?

Keeper, I know you have no problems with us canucks in general. Not speaking ones mind is as big of a problem as going the other way and coming across as "rude". Honestly there needs to be more of us who aren't afraid to stand up and be heard. (where's my soapbox anyway???) It is quite funny to think that in general we have two siblings (US and Can) living side by side, that are so different yet so much the same.

Blurred, I have quite a few buddies who work in lumber mills in the area.. The lumber that gets exported to foreign countries, especially Japan is astonishing. I'm talking like 20ft 2X12's that are 100% clear. Its unheard of to see them in our lumberyards here but I guess the Japanese like their high quality $hit, and they pay the price for it.. so why not.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 3:58 PM on j-body.org
It's not like we *can't* produce 100% clear fir or hemlock, we just have less land to do it in, it's a number/probability game. The difference, though, is that the wood we, asuakee capitlost pigdogd sell, just sites there that we sell for dirt-ass-cheap, and we buy back at a premium. that to me makes no sense...at least induce an artificial shortage .

Really, though, if they do replant, there will never be running out of resources, however, as a "tree hugger", i will say that I do think certain portions of forests should just be left alone to their own devices, ya know? In the states...places like the Hoh Rainforest oor the Grove of the Patriachs shouldn't be logged, even though some of the trees there have trunks bigger around than my car and are really only dwarfed by Californian Redwood and Sequoia. Here, though, we've cleared away forests, only repklanted a small portion of them, and the rest we've turned into stripmalls so that yuppie scum can buy their A&F bull@!#$. I think really, there could be some batter land management going on, instead for stripping out a few hundred acres to build a suburban subdivision.

Besides, I can honestly say that when i was a lad, having an assload of trees in the backyard was a hell of a lot more fun than just a little patch of grass and a open wooden deck.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search