Election in Canada - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Election in Canada
Thursday, December 01, 2005 5:26 PM on j-body.org
Back on topic:

I'd like to see what the next government will do with our resources agreements with the US. Softwood, Oil, Wheat, Water, Electricity.... the US is getting a very, very good price on all these (ostensibly ludicrous, when you figure we're paying more for our own products... jigga what?). I hope that the party that forms the next government will rectify this. It's more than a little stupid to pay double the refining costs the US pays for our own damned oil, and paying 3x the amount per kWh for residential power and cubic meter of Natural Gas.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, December 02, 2005 11:50 AM on j-body.org
I agree...turnabout is always fair play, but again, you have Nero and Caligula in office here, so sanctions like that, while I wouldn't care, per se, might ruffle some feathers out east, and U.S. bastardry is second to none.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, December 02, 2005 12:11 PM on j-body.org

Resource wise, Oil and gas... alot of the Canadian companies have sold out to companies from the US. Power / Water they're going that way as well.

Wheat... well, thats been over for a good while now. I give huge props to the grain farmers who are still fighting to do it. We left Saskatchewan in '89, there's alot of family still there who are growing but having to be employed other places to make things work. Nothing like owning over a township when it seems pointless to even plant.

Beef, we got put through the ringer in a bad way when that happened with the US, alot of that was due to our govt not standing up and saying that it was all way out of line.

Lumber... again, our leaders are just a bunch of pussies. Nobody has the balls to do anything and they're all just happy to sit there and get pushed around even tho we're in the right 100%.

Honestly Gam, nothing will be done about it until you get someone in there who will give us a fighting chance!!! This is the main reason why I have absolutely no faith in the leaders of our country. It's about time we get someone who isn't afraid to shake things up a bit, bottom line is, we need it and badly. Who do I think we need??

Ralph Klein !!!
- He’s a right-wing prairie populist with a streetfighter’s instincts.
- behind his blue-collar, man-of-the-people image, roly-poly Ralph is a one-man wrecking crew.
- He has set out systematically to dismantle Alberta’s public sector and remake the province into a freewheeling, capitalist paradise.
- Ralph is a trendsetter. His brand of deficit-slashing, tax-cutting conservatism has already spread to several other provinces.

Klein isn't perfect... he's a drinker, goes kinda a-wall at times has made some bad decisions, but at least he isn't afraid to get things done. He would need guidance like any other prime minister would but look at the state that Alberta is in and what BC's trying to follow. Alberta as a whole is making money hand over fist and it shows. No wonder there are groups who have been lobbying a Eastern / Western Canadian split.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Friday, December 02, 2005 12:49 PM on j-body.org
^^^the problem with a guy like that is that he can turn out to be another bush...and even though I can still be upset at canada for killing off the kodiak marmoset () i would never wish a "leader" like the asshat we have...'cause the way you described him sounds like he would make no beef going against the popular will.

I personally think that an elected politician going against the popular will needs to be strapped to a gurney and castrated/spayed with a rusty fishhook.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Saturday, December 03, 2005 8:54 AM on j-body.org
The problem with Klein is everything you pointed out, Graden...

He's Neo-Con Ultra-right wing, he's blue collar and still unsophisicated, he hasn't yet spent a night on the street or waiting for help in a Hospital, and his brand of conservatism has made a few people rich but hasn't helped the rest much.

If it weren't for oil and transfer payments, Alberta would screwed... and don't forget that the oil industry in Alberta was started LONG before Klein ambled around. Alberta is getting Transfer payments from the only 2 HAVE provinces (Ontario and Quebec), when they should rightly be paying out. Klein's brand of idiot conservatism was fashionable in Ontario, but after Mike Harris and Ernie Eves got punted, the Liberal Govt was left holding the bag... and it wasn't full of roses...

I'd rather not see some yahoo-cowboy wannabe at the helm, we're not Bush Country.

KOTL:
Instead of Nero and Caligula, I take it more Harry and Lloyd... or Beavis and Butthead... I wouldn't demean the great comedy duo Abott and Costello.

Monday, December 05, 2005 4:00 PM on j-body.org
Gam, thats the exact reason that I used Klein as an example, not because some of his actions mimick a certain leader to the south of us. Don't you think that we would be much better off if we did have a leader who would take more initiative? Better to do something than nothing at all, don't you think?

Would I ever want a leader like Bush to run our country? Of course not, never. No cowboys needed around here. I don't think that Klein or the conservatives would turn into a "Bush" problem at all.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Monday, December 05, 2005 4:47 PM on j-body.org
That's where you and I differ Graden. Just by aiding the Americans or cow-towing to their whims are we allowing ourselves to be subjugated. The last conservative PM (Mulroney) was so far up the Gipper's butt, it took a day of surgery to extricate his nose and 4 more months to get the chin out.

I don't like seeing Canada sell-out to US interests.. they've already abandoned themselves to rampant corporate interests. We don't need to do the same.

Monday, December 05, 2005 5:13 PM on j-body.org
You may not like seeing it happen but it has been happening and will continue to happen for far longer than either of us will be alive. A country either needs to either lead, follow, or just get out of the way. We're not leading, we are following whether we like it or not, this is where the rampant corporate interests that you mentioned come into play.

Sorry to say but we are not going to beat them, why not join them and make some good bucks in the mean time??

Monday, December 05, 2005 5:34 PM on j-body.org
Why not stand on our own 2 feet a little more?

I mean seriously, we're selling everything as raw material, and buying it back at close to double what americans pay for it. (you name it, Cars, Softwoods, electricity, Oil, Water... yes, we're selling our water to the US, and buying it back at a stupidly inflated rate).

I'm sorry, but the US can bid for access just like every other country, or we can wall off our products and use the "free-market" ideaology... they can buy our stuff at our prices and if they don't like it, they can get it elsewhere. As it stands now, US companies are getting horrendous discounts on the price of oil (per agreements they negotiated 20 years ago when oil was extremely cheap), yet they're selling the refined product back to us at over double what Americans are paying. Nice, eh? We have the ability to refine 100% of our own product needs in Sarnia Ontario and in Alberta. What are we doing paying so damned much?

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 2:28 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

What are we doing paying so damned much?

I wish I knew the easy answer and solutiion, let me know when you find out.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 7:56 PM on j-body.org
I read in my economics book that we are paying alot in taxes for gas nearly 35.7cents from 62.5 cents/litre goes to the federal/provinicial gov't. ( this book is year old). According to this book in 1996 americans payed 14 cents/litre but we payed 29 cents/litre. Also in Canada we have twice as many gas stations per capita as in the United States. So the retailers of gas have to transport the gas over to all these locations (very costly, added to the price). I THINK THIS IS STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to shut down some of these gas stations!! Over here in Oshawa its all small gas stations -- 4 pumps, 6 max. Its gotta change!! (maybe have a couple of big gas stations.

Anwyays for the next election i'm voting conservative (the local MP that won last time was conservative). I just think that Paul Martin and his party aren't doing anything productive in government anymore, too much flip flooping.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 10:01 PM on j-body.org

My question to all you Canadians is two fold:
1) Who would you like to see win / think will win

I suspect it will be another liberal minority. Canadians don't
trust Harper (I think Mckay made a better leader), and they
have a track record of election day cowardess. It's too bad
really because the liberals have been in power far too long,
and we all know that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I would like to see a conservative majority (to twart anymore
of these expensive early elections). We need a change for
the sake of change, but its merely a pipedream.

2)Are any of you helping / donating / are a local canadate?

I would like to help, but I won't. Its a futile gesture in my all-
liberal-all-the-time town. Moreso, my town bounces through
Conservative candidates faster than a super-ball. I can
predict the winner in my area with near perfect accuracy.

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] cuz stock sux
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:07 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

I would like to see a conservative majority (to twart anymore of these expensive early elections). We need a change for the sake of change, but its merely a pipedream

Getting a Conservative majority, it is a pipedream. I do think a minority Conservative backed by the Bloc is a possibility.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:08 AM on j-body.org
I think it's a pipedream, definitely, but look at what happened with the last 2 conservative Govt's (Mulroney and Clark). We got a shakey Gov't that was knocked over... what.. 9-10 months after it was formed, and record deficit/taxes... and STILL no end in sight.

Anyhow.. I wonder if anyone remembers the GST promises of about 10 years ago? Hrmm?

Child Care??? Anyone?

Chretien found out it wasn't possible to pay for everything and not run yourself into greater debt... Harper is going to find that out sometime...

Also, the Bloc will not do anything that is not in the interest of the Bloc... They've proven time and again, they don't give a @!#$ about anything other than their own interests (yes, that's exclusive of Quebec as well, remember in 1998 after the Ice Storm, they were going to take Federal Disaster money and put it in the provincial coffers until it was given with conditions).

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:22 AM on j-body.org
Speaking of Stephen Harper, did anyone watch "the National" (news) last night? Sure it was 99.99% propaganda, but it was interesting to hear that some US newspapers are dubbing Harper as the best friend a Bush administration could ever hope for. Some of these articles even went on to directly compare Harper to Bush.
Here's the Times article for those who missed the news last night:
http://washingtontimes.com/commentary/20051201-081526-4938r.htm

I found it hilarious that Harper published a brief rebuke in the US describing the ways in which he DIFFERS from Bush. Funny, yet frightening at the same time.

I'm especially frightened by this part:
Quote:

Free-market economist Stephen Harper, leader of the opposition Conservative Party, is pro-free trade, pro-Iraq war, anti-Kyoto, and socially conservative. Move over Tony Blair: If elected, Mr. Harper will quickly become Mr. Bush's new best friend internationally and the poster boy for his ideal foreign leader.

I'm interested to read what others here think about this.

I also suggest that we legally change Stephen Harper's name to "Mini-Bush".

The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:32 AM on j-body.org

^^^ that was abit much. don't you think?
Propaganda is propaganda, and somebody (Liberal/ NDP)
is manipulating news pieces to breed distrust. Don't get
me wrong, the conservatives would do the same if given
the chance

It's politics. its difficult to understand at times, and its our
job to cut through it.

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] cuz stock sux
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 2:15 PM on j-body.org
^^^ True, it was a bit much - I just found the article "interesting" and mentioned it for 2 reasons:
1-To see if people in the US actually talk about politics that occur north of the border. I am curious to hear if any yankees believe that Harper would get the US-Canada marriage back on track, and
2 - To show a good example of how the media can be used as a pretty effective weapon. I mean, what better tactic than to compare one of the political leaders with the leader of the most militarily-aggressive (and disliked) nation on earth? Don't worry - I'm sure that the (insert political party here) are all planning their own attack ads and distrust tactics.

As it stands now, the marijuana party appears to be the best in my eyes
The Liberals have their sponsorship scandal and anti-US publicity stunts (let's face it - Paul Martin is NOT Cretien - who's he trying to fool), the PCs have a leader that's being compared to Dubya (that doesn't (really) bother me as much as their anti-Kyoto/anti-gay marriage/pro-FTA/US platform), Layton changes his platform every time he gives a speech, and half of the green party's exec has abandoned ship for some (likely significant) reason. I'm glad Xmas is coming up - I'll be able to drown out at least a week of the race with turkey dinners and copious amounts of rum
I hate politics, but it sure is interesting watching how dirty things can get.

The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 2:43 PM on j-body.org
If it does, it's for the wrong reasons. I think that two nations should be allied with each other because, well, they like what the other does, not because of some stategic positioning, and from the sounds of it, mosty canadians HATE the way we're taking care of business thanks to the Republican Reich.

Don't assume that every yankee capitolist pigdog like myself has their naso-anal interface with Bush liberally lubed up.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:48 AM on j-body.org
UnHolySavage (I love that handle.. )
The Canada US relationship has been fractious and tenuous at the best of times... I think it's time to start shopping our wares around (or, actually y'know, charging what it's worth vs. a sweetheart rate). The US has been pulling jobs (manufacturing etc) down south or to Mexico since Free Trade started. I can't get behind that.

I mean, look @ Harper, he's come down on the side of Free-trade (in speeches), he supported the war in Iraq in debate, and he's basically said he's abandoning tolerance with anti-gay rhetoric... I won't vote for that... It's not about anti-US sentiment, it's about keeping Canada, CANADA.

Also, Chretien made and broke a lot of promises (I have both the Liberal Red Books... it's kind of comical), but at least he stuck to the game plan and had the sentiment of the people. Harper, I dunno... he seems way too starched, and his stances on social issues as well as trade issues are completely un-nuanced as they basically amount to: "What's the US doing?"

I mean, there's already a fixed amount of time a gov't can stand, now he want's a US-style fixed election date? hogwash.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 9:46 AM on j-body.org
^^^'cause we all know the U.S. can do no wrong. Andf if you believe what I just said, i have some land in Hanford, Washington that i want to sell you for dirt cheap.

Besdies, for those that want a conservative government...the U.S. has a conservative governent and look at how @!#$ up things are here!!!!! Please restore my faith in the rest of the world and say that Canada is smarter than the U.S. I do want a country i can defect to if someone decides to elect Jeb bush or Cunnilingus Rice come 2008 in case Slovakia doesn't work out.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thursday, December 15, 2005 4:26 PM on j-body.org
If the CRAP keeps it up, they're going to do all the campaigning for the other parties on their own...

You should see some of the election ads.. pathetic.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 4:56 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

The Canada US relationship has been fractious and tenuous at the best of times... I think it's time to start shopping our wares around (or, actually y'know, charging what it's worth vs. a sweetheart rate). The US has been pulling jobs (manufacturing etc) down south or to Mexico since Free Trade started. I can't get behind that.

Do you think that this could possibly be because our last liberal governments havent done anything to build our relationship with the US? Of course it is, big brother will always push around little brother until little brother finally pushes back. This is exactly what has been happening to our "liberal" governments.

All Chretien did was drag ass all around Ottawa while hoping that everyone would forget all his broken promises so he could stay in longer. Martin, oh yeah... he's a great leader... where's that money???

Quote:

I mean, look @ Harper, he's come down on the side of Free-trade (in speeches), he supported the war in Iraq in debate, and he's basically said he's abandoning tolerance with anti-gay rhetoric... I won't vote for that... It's not about anti-US sentiment, it's about keeping Canada, CANADA.

You can't honestly believe that Canada will not be Canadian anymore just because we have a leader who agrees with SOME of the decisions that have been made by Bush. What, you think that Harper will just do anything and everything that Bush does?? Of course not, that kind of thinking is just foolish.

Why would Harper express these kinds of opinions when he knows damn well that Bush and his antics are not generally favored here in Canada? He wants to be elected right? Is he a total lunatic?

He's doing it because we need to be back on Bush's good side. Like it or not, we need it. Who is a bigger customer of our goods? Find other buyers?? Are you kidding? What country in the world has the need for, or the cash to buy the amounts of exports that we produce. We aren't even producing close to what we could be. Harper, if elected would create the strongest economy our country has ever seen. There are times that you need to do things that might not be your first choice in order to reach your goal.

Quote:

Besdies, for those that want a conservative government...the U.S. has a conservative governent and look at how @!#$ up things are here!!!!! Please restore my faith in the rest of the world and say that Canada is smarter than the U.S.

Just because one conservative government is a total @#$% up, that doesn't mean another conservative government in another country would be the same. Thats like me thinking that if one cow had mad cow disease then all cows must have it and I'll never eat beef again.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 10:15 PM on j-body.org
Graden wrote:

You can't honestly believe that Canada will not be Canadian anymore just because we have a leader who agrees with SOME of the decisions that have been made by Bush.

This sentence is exactly why I will NEVER vote for a party run by Stephen Harper. Harper just happens to be agreeing with the WORST decisions made by the Bush administration (anti-gay marriage, Iraq etc). With that alone you don't even have to remember the name "Brian Mulroney" to start wondering if voting conservative is really the best thing for the country.

I find it funny that you think that voting Harper in will magically make our economy the "strongest" it has ever been. Call me an idiot, but our economy seems to be doing pretty darn well right now, and has been for a while even though Cretien's head wasn't up the president's @ss. If we were in a recession I could agree with you, but we are not.

IDK - right now I'm still can't help thinking about the disaster left by our last PC government. Going into enormous debt is NOT the way to run a country, and Harper's ideas of reducing taxes and increasing spending can only put us down that path again.

I'm telling you, the way things look, the Marijuana party is the way of the future

Hehehe, I just had a good chuckle - Graden is peddling PC, yet he's from Kelowna (traditionally NDP). Here I am going anti-PC (well, in all honesty there really isn't much out there to chose from), and I live in Alberta. Something's a bit strange there....

Friday, December 16, 2005 12:52 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Hehehe, I just had a good chuckle - Graden is peddling PC, yet he's from Kelowna (traditionally NDP). Here I am going anti-PC (well, in all honesty there really isn't much out there to chose from), and I live in Alberta. Something's a bit strange there....

Yes it is quite comical that we really aren't peddling who we should be territorially. I'm originally from Saskatchewan, I was brought up with a very christian background, I have family members involved in politics and I am a entrepeneur... who are you backing exactly? I want to hear some reasons why the rest of you are backing who you are, not only attack me and my views.

I never said that Harper was "magical", but a leader who has a masters in economics... don't you think it would be beneficial to our economy? I won't call you an idiot, but our economy is doing "OK", it can do better. How could one just assume that a Conservative government would go into huge debt again? Some seem to think that the Liberals are so great when it comes to balancing the budget, yet totally overlook the immense cost of the gun registry.

Harpers stand on gay marriage was used against him earlier, yet last night he said that a Conservative government would not override the Constitution to strike down gay marriage. That doesn't sound alot like "Bush" now does it? Wouldnt a Bush like leader strike this down almost instantly if elected? Harper once again said that under a Conservative government MPs would be asked if Parliament wants to change the marriage definition. If MPs defeat the motion, he would consider the matter closed.

The Liberals don't deserve another chance, they are obviously corrupt and can no longer be trusted. Martin is on the defensive constantly and is calling again for a more transparent and open government. So by saying this Mr Martin, you're telling us that once again you haven't done it right? So what, you should get a third crack at it? We have been given good cause to think twice about his ability to lead. Everything else aside, that alone is a good enough reason NOT to vote for them.

I'm looking forward to the Conservative / NDP results it should be interesting.

Friday, December 16, 2005 1:31 PM on j-body.org
How about a leader that headed a Billion dollar company that he built from the ground up? (Martin's shipping conglomorate?) I'd rather someone that has proven in practise, than just theory.

Also, the thing that you have to understand is that there is a definite boom-bust cycle, and while Canada had explosive boom economies in the early 90's and even the 70's, the bust cycles were also pretty long run. Instead of trying to boom huge for a short while, and then bust colossally, I can see that there are a lot of smaller booms, and there are a lot of smaller busts... our economy is going up, but its a lot slower than necessary. I think that ending the NAFTA agreement and ending these sweetheart agreements (and the imbecile squabbles about lumber, wheat etc.) would make Canada less dependant on the USA, and I can't see that as anything but a good thing.

The only faults I can find with the Liberals is the Defence Spending. Our military needs to be overhauled, and FAST. I don't like hearing about soldiers having to moonlight as security guards because they're not paid properly, and I don't like Canada having the ill-distinction of the highest General:Enlistee rate in the world either, which they haven't done much about.

That's gotta be fixed first and foremost in my mind.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search