Air Martials Incident In Miami. - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Air Martials Incident In Miami.
Thursday, December 08, 2005 4:18 AM on j-body.org
Seems as though a man ran from a plane claiming he had a bomb in his back pack there were two Air Martials onboard the plane. When he started to run the wife ran after him saying he was sick. They asked him to get down when he didnt they shot him. Aparently the man suffers from Bipolar disorder and had not taken his medication. The man was killed in this incident. Two bags were exploded by A Bomb Squad but no bombs were found. What do you guys think about this inicident. Was it justtified or not.

Re: Air Martials Incident In Miami.
Thursday, December 08, 2005 4:23 AM on j-body.org
While terribly unfortunate, I cannot blame the marshal. They cannot afford to take a chance. It is better to be wrong and kill one person, than be wrong (the other way) and end up with a couple hundred dead.

It sure does suck though.

PAX
Thursday, December 08, 2005 4:29 AM on j-body.org
Tragic yes, wrong no

If i was on a plan and a man was running around saying he had a bomb...@!#$ him....

Thursday, December 08, 2005 4:36 AM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:While terribly unfortunate, I cannot blame the marshal. They cannot afford to take a chance. It is better to be wrong and kill one person, than be wrong (the other way) and end up with a couple hundred dead.

PAX

yup

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Thursday, December 08, 2005 6:01 AM on j-body.org
A little more has come out and it seems he got up said he had a bomb in his carry on.
The air martials identified themselves and confronted him. He fled the plane and was
pursued by the 2 martials who repeatedly orded him to the ground. The man refused
then he reached into the bag that he claimed contained the bomb and at that time he was shot 3 times and died on the sceen.

Sick or not and sad or not those martials did there job. This is a non-issue they did what they were put on the plane to do. If anything this should be a wake up call to
A. Not screw around when the nice man with the gun tells you to do something.
B. Take ALL your meds BEFORE you even get near the airport.
C. Don't say you have a bomb!!.

Follow these 3 simple rules and you too can live to see tomorrow.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 6:23 AM on j-body.org
One person that was interviewed this morning said she was sitting next to a retired airline piolt and was told who the air martials where . I know the guy didnt mean any harm but what a $#$# up. Why would you disclose that kind of sensitive information to Joe Blow Civilian. If this is true they should ban this guy from ever flying agian.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 6:36 AM on j-body.org
Retired and reg. pilots know Air Martials and other LEOs.. they all go through the same Customs gates. Banning a guy from flying is funny... he's a pilot, he can fly a cessna.

There isn't enough information yet about this incident, and I don't think I'd say anything until I was posessed of all the facts.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 7:19 AM on j-body.org
Thats why I said if they found out that he actually did this. When speaking of flying I meant aboard commercial flights where an Air Martial could possibly be on board.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 7:27 AM on j-body.org
But why should the martials have taken the chance if he did indeed have a bomb as he claimed he did? Nope better safe then sorry. One dead dude is better then a whole
757 passenger consist and crew.

Sorry.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 8:30 AM on j-body.org
mikec2003 wrote:
Hahahaha wrote:While terribly unfortunate, I cannot blame the marshal. They cannot afford to take a chance. It is better to be wrong and kill one person, than be wrong (the other way) and end up with a couple hundred dead.

PAX

yup

yup yup

---

Thursday, December 08, 2005 8:54 AM on j-body.org
Mike Woolever wrote:Thats why I said if they found out that he actually did this. When speaking of flying I meant aboard commercial flights where an Air Martial could possibly be on board.

Aren't there supposed to be at least 2 air martials per flight?

I don't know for certain, but the programme funding quintupled after sept 11, 2001 IIRC.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 10:22 AM on j-body.org
obviously major news in miami. the guy said he had a bomb. and unfortunately regardless of whether he was bi-polar or not, someone like that has to be taken out. when someone is in a manic phase such as this there is nothing that anyone can really do to get them out of it. its a sad situation for him and his wife who was apparently trying her best to calm him, but the authorities acted in the way they are trained to.
they were talking about this on anderson cooper last night and then they started going thru all the other shootings of mentally ill people and there was a video of one guy i think also in miami back in the day that came out of his door and swung a machete at an officer and they capped him. it was wild since you dont really see people getting killed on tv too much. you usually have to hit the interweb for that

Thursday, December 08, 2005 10:35 AM on j-body.org
[off topic] if i see one more person write air MARTIAL.... i will give you a MARTIAL arts style kick to the face.

its air MARSHAL ladies.....

anyways, the air marshals were justified in shooting him, however from the accounts it seems as if they could have simply taken him down without a weapon also. a would be attacker would not announce his presence and then leave the plane... the plane would be the place to detonate a bomb. if he was trying to bomb the airport he would have not taken a flight, through security checks....
the wife chased and said he was sick. the other passengers noticed he was a little weird, the flight attendant noticed something was wrong... the marshals could have picked up on this and realized that he was not a terrorist threat.
BUT in the end the wife should have let the airline know that he had a mental condition and that there was the potential for abnormal behaviour etc... that would have saved his life.
Thursday, December 08, 2005 11:01 AM on j-body.org
MARTIAL, MARTIAL, MARTIAL.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 11:54 AM on j-body.org
blurred wrote:[off topic] if i see one more person write air MARTIAL.... i will give you a MARTIAL arts style kick to the face.

its air MARSHAL ladies.....

anyways, the air marshals were justified in shooting him, however from the accounts it seems as if they could have simply taken him down without a weapon also. a would be attacker would not announce his presence and then leave the plane... the plane would be the place to detonate a bomb. if he was trying to bomb the airport he would have not taken a flight, through security checks....
the wife chased and said he was sick. the other passengers noticed he was a little weird, the flight attendant noticed something was wrong... the marshals could have picked up on this and realized that he was not a terrorist threat.
BUT in the end the wife should have let the airline know that he had a mental condition and that there was the potential for abnormal behaviour etc... that would have saved his life.

They cannot afford the risk. He was acting strange, claimed to have a bomb, would not submit and reached into the bag he claimed contained the bomb. That was the defining moment. They had to pull the trigger before he did. They had no idea who was lying and who was telling the truth. Afterall, I'm sure a wack job bent on blowing people up would never have an accomplice nor would they lie about someone being "sick". It's too bad that a mentally ill person was shot, but the Marshals could never have known if the bomb was real or not. They had to err on the side of caution.

PAX
Thursday, December 08, 2005 1:07 PM on j-body.org
And yes there were two agents on that flight.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 2:23 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:MARTIAL, MARTIAL, MARTIAL.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 4:10 PM on j-body.org
heh,,,, i am giving a public speaking speech on this tomorrow in class actually. I feel the TSA did their job. If they didn't shoot, and if the man wasn't just freaking out...BYE BYE plane and part of the terminal. Its better to safe then sorry. Joking about a bomb is not even cool and obviously now its can get your self killed. His wife knowing he has been taking his meds, shouldn't have brought him onto an Airplane.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 4:28 PM on j-body.org
How terrible this must be for the marshal who did the shooting. He has to live with killing a mental case, not a terrorist. No matter how many people tell him it was the right thing to do and that he had no choice, he's got to live with it. And what's worse, he'll be famous for it too.

Bummer all the way around.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search