GEORGE BUSH - Page 8 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Well, the comparison to WWII is true. After th
Monday, January 02, 2006 12:12 PM on j-body.org
John, Canada CAN"T take over. Noone can. We're the big kid on the block and all the other little kids better listen too or we'll give you a black eye and steal your lunch money.
What are you gonna do about it ? Run tell mommy ( UN ) we don't care anyway.
So

And noone was avoiding the issue its just the issue had been argued to death for what
going on 8 pages now ? Its a little done to death so we're all kinda winding it down so it can die and go away.

But fear not ! I'm sure someone will start another we hate the U.S. / Bush post before too long.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, January 02, 2006 4:20 PM on j-body.org
A lot off topic, but I am a kind of strange Canadian. I'll watch the Stanley cup final so I know what happened and don't get lost at work or in a diner .. I around during the playoffs so I know who's in and who's out.. I'm not really a fan, although I will admit that as team sports go, it's a good one. I prefer football (CFL, NFL) and football (soccer) though. They almost never fight, even less than baseball (yawn).

The absolute best sport on earth is MotoGP racing.. Unbelieveable.. www.motogp.com The season begins again in the spring, keep an eye on speedTV and catch a race. I promise you'll only watch NASCAR as an excuse to get drunk from then on. I never, ever watch NASCAR, i find it too monotanous. It's not boring provided you stop watching after 15 minutes, then tune in again to catch the finish Drag racing rules the car world for me, but road courses also make me watch.

Umm ya.. Umm, on topic..

Actually I'm a bit worried up here in Canada. We have oil, and more importantly, we have water... That's all I'm gonna say about that.

PAX
Monday, January 02, 2006 5:46 PM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:Hockey? Trains? Dogs chasing their tails?
It's all fodder for discussion... and Hockey is the greatest sport... EVER.

Quote:

It's amazing.. I say that Canada should take over the USA because we have a war monger for a leader and we have WMD's, and everyone goes sideways to avoid discussing it.
I say we take over because it'd shake things up. Washington has become incredibly lame in the last 40 years. You need some prime Beaver in DC. (take that anyway you like )

Quote:

Bush is more of a threat to the world than Saddam ever was, why is he still in office?
Rhetorical Question?

Quote:

Bush has access to weapons, soldiers and has commited illegal actions, even by our own countries standards. Why is he still in office?
Only good politicians do something for everyone... they also tend to have a high In-Office mortality rate.

Quote:

Answer: Canada hasn't taken over yet.
not yet. Not yet.

Hahahaha: We're a 3 day shutdown of all oil pipelines, power sale and water transfers away from crippling the US economy (our own as welll but that's another story).

If we shut off the power, the Eastern seaboard would be over a week in getting power back, and even then, it'd be at about 4x the cost (it'd be up to mostly nuclear reactors to provide power), the Oil supply couldn't be ramped up enough in the rest of the world to cope with the US demand (and oil prices would be hovering around the orbit of Jupiter, right along with Dick Cheney's blood pressure) and the West Coast and most of Texas and AZ would screwed chewed and barbequed when the water supply gets clipped.

The best part is that troops couldn't be martialled fast enough to deploy a response, and even when they could mount a response, they'd be hamstrung because they need oil to pursue a mechanised assault.

America's achilles heel is the energy it uses.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, January 02, 2006 5:49 PM on j-body.org
shhhh

PAX
Monday, January 02, 2006 6:05 PM on j-body.org
Gam, excellent points... Who in the Canadian government would have authority to do this, or at least apply pressure to the Whitehouse about this? Maybe Canada doesn't invade the USA, maybe they just apply political/economical pressure (i.e., extortion)...

And as for "prime beaver" in Washington, what? Condeleza Rice doesn't count?

(No lewinski jokes now, Gam said "prime beaver", not "prime pork roast")

Send the maple syrup army, I need to be rescued!!

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Monday, January 02, 2006 6:38 PM on j-body.org
Parliament would have to rule in favour of rescinding the energy/water/oil contracts with the US. Believe it or not, it'd be 50%+1... simple majority. A majority Government could push that through with no problems, legally... politically, it'd get dicey... If anyone got so bold, they'd do well to have a monster backup plan (that would likely rely on China and the European Union).

We also would have to end the NAFTA agreement, and that would precipitate a lot of economic problems in the US, and even more in Mexico. Canada's been getting the raw deal because of that one since it was put into effect. Manufacturing jobs went from Canada, to the poor areas of the US, and then to Mexico. Our Economy went from relying on natural resources as a secondary element, to the primary one. We've diversified to a technology/manufacturing/resources economy... so we're well rooted, but anything as provocative as what I proposed would be deeply unsettling to the world's economy....

I do think that it'd be a good idea to at least give a tug on the leash... the softwood and wheat @!#$ has gone on for 18 years... enough is enough.

As for Condie: she certainly has the buck teeth covered.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:11 AM on j-body.org
Gam, Severing ties between our two counties would do BOTH of them more harm then good . We'd lose oil, good beer and whiskey but Canada would stand to lose more.
All the food stuffs grown in the US along with the jobs provided by GM. Remember those trains we were talking about ? EMD is GM and they build them here. GE is the other locomotive manufacturer and they are a US based company as well. So no more locomotives for you, That translates into no more trains in about 20 to 30 years and if you think trains don't do much to move your economy just take a good look at the rail industry and then at the jobs that would be gone with out it.

We could get oil from the gulf and Alaska and just end our agreement with the counties we sell our oil to. Of course without sellng to the other countries our economy would take a big hit, BUT so would yours. Would this be enough to go to war over ? Who knows but its been done for less. Doubt me look at Iraq.

Militarily Canada doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell. And ending trade would be bad for both of us.

I know it sucks but your stuck with us.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:44 AM on j-body.org
I have customers that are in that industry and yes, GM builds locomotives right here in the (newly purchased by) General Dynamics plant (if you can believe it), but all the electronics (safety systems and control systems) are made here buy my customer. They also make control systems for power plants etc. Soooo... You may have trains, but you can't drive them, we have controls, but no trains.. Umm.. etc etc etc..

Besides, usually they set up a subsidiary in the host contry. We could claim that the Canadian subsidiaries are Canadian companies, and we will be keeping them. We don't need the corporate office, we need the manufacturing facilities and the workers.. Guess what, we have both. We could then say that they are a "national interest" and keep the technology too.

Let's not go down that road, our countries are so intertwined it would be a terribly painful mess for both if we were to cut ties.

At least we wouldn't die of thirst, and we wouldn't lose 1/3 of our agriculture to drought.

Ya gotta eat, ya gotta drink. Good luck.

PAX
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 7:16 AM on j-body.org
/\ /\ /\ Thought that is what I was saying......... If it came out wrong sorry. But yeah our countries are so into the other that if we were to stop all dealings we would both be hurting.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 2:19 PM on j-body.org
Jack: Canada is capable of manufacturing enough food to sate all citizens... And I thought Bombardier made locomotives as well?

Anyhow, I said that kind of move would cripple both economies... Canada does still rely on the US for most of the manufactured goods sold here. However, after that, we really haven't got a lot flowing north of the border except cash...

Yeah, it sucks... I'd like to see us standing on our own 2 feet more than anything, but both countries are better as a pair than alone, most definitely. I would think that nothing short of an unprovoked attack on a middle east country in response to a non-threat would be the kind of thing that would end that kind of a relationship...

Oh wait...

Seriously though, for about the last 100 years, when a president is inaugurated, (at least one of) the first place they go to is the nation's largest trading partner, and Dubya waited 3 years? To add insult to injury, on 9/11/01, when US airspace was shut down, Canada ferried about 90% of the stranded flights, and then we don't even get a thanks at the end of it... even now. Apparently Britain is closer to the US... I'm sorry, that's not the way you treat a friend.

I know it's on individual Americans, but I'm not impressed at all with Dubya... and from what I gather, a lot of people that voted for him once (or even twice), aren't either.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 3:44 PM on j-body.org
Oh ya.. My customer that makes instruments also makes Bombardier's stuff.. Well, some of it, I know they didn't get the deal for the high-speed trains.

PAX

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:03 AM on j-body.org
That's something that they need for the Toronto-Quebec City corridor... Pass through Ottawa, and we're set.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:43 AM on j-body.org
Yes Bombardier IS made up there. But where do they get the prime movers to put in them ( prime mover is the engine inside the engine ) they are built here. But I guess you guys could electirfy the intire countris rail network so you need our engines but that would cost a fortune.

Gam, whatever do you mean ? I thought you were a HUGE dubya fan .
couldn't help that.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 2:37 PM on j-body.org
I love dubya about as much as I love Small-pox... and getting boosters.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:09 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I love dubya about as much as I love Small-pox... and getting boosters.

...and hemorrhoids. Dubya is a giant festering hemorrhoid on the a$$ of the earth.

At least he's out in two more years.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Thursday, January 05, 2006 12:22 AM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:At least he's out in two more years.
And at that time we will be getting that much-needed beaver, in the form of a superior Clinton.That may be the only thing that could happen to our torn nation that would be better than Canada's involvement. I'm all for fixing problems at home before trying to fix other people's problems thousands of miles away.
Also, please don't turn off my water, its too hot down here in AZ. Oh, and I find hockey the superior sport (born and raised in 120+*F AZ, yet somehow ended up playing 10 years competively here...even visited Canada for a scouting camp once), but still enjoy watching NASCAR as I find the strategic and engineering perspectives interesting. All my siblings are soccer (futbol/football)-addicts.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 4:56 AM on j-body.org
What are you talking about when you say about getting a Clinton in ? I KNOW your not talking about Hillery.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:25 AM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:I love dubya about as much as I love Small-pox... and getting boosters.

...and hemorrhoids. Dubya is a giant festering hemorrhoid on the a$$ of the earth.

At least he's out in two more years.

That would actually be 3 years dumbass.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:53 AM on j-body.org
Now now... no need to call names. <snip long-winded speech you give to a 4 yearold about playing nice.>

Jack: no, Chelsea.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 10:17 AM on j-body.org
Chelsea, ( spelling ? )

Thursday, January 05, 2006 3:29 PM on j-body.org
Hey, just because GW keeps decreasing the amount of your wellfair check, doesn't mean he's a bad president...

Thursday, January 05, 2006 4:24 PM on j-body.org
I don't get a welfare cheque...

and I'm not American.

VV That might give it away

Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:31 PM on j-body.org
mrgto wrote:
John Wilken wrote: At least he's out in two more years.

MrGto, it's 2006. Bush will be out at the end of 2008.

Last time I checked, that's 2 years.

Not that I'm disputing my "dumbass" status...

MrGto, you're not by any chance an accountant, are you?

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:37 PM on j-body.org
Joshua Huber wrote:Hey, just because GW keeps decreasing the amount of your wellfair check, doesn't mean he's a bad president...

Just curious, because I'm obviously not a big "Dubya" fan, could you name anything our current president has done to leave the country in better shape then when he took office without discussing "oil", "terrorists", "Iraq" or "WMDs"?

I don't understand why you think he hasn't been a bad president. Please enlighten me.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:14 PM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:
mrgto wrote:
John Wilken wrote: At least he's out in two more years.
MrGto, it's 2006. Bush will be out at the end of 2008.

Last time I checked, that's 2 years.

Not that I'm disputing my "dumbass" status...

MrGto, you're not by any chance an accountant, are you?
It's a good thing you're not disputing your dumbass status...

GW will be president in all of 2006.

GW will be president in all of 2007.

GW will be president in all of 2008.

That's 3 years.

Oh, and before you say it's not all of 2008, the next president will be inagurated on January 20, 2009. 3 years and 15 days from now. "Lame duck" or not, he's still president until that day.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search