Helping evolution - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Helping evolution
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:09 AM on j-body.org
sterlizing people at birth would lead to a HUGE jump in STD's rape and underage intercourse.

i think we need to just be more concerned on how to make OURSELVES better not how to change everyone else. if you are always trying to make urself a better person, maybe just maybe it will rub off, and more people will change themselves.

maybe the media and the government should stop demonizing the poor.

maybe we should stop sending 18 year old kids to fight for their country when they cant even figure out how to run their own lives in the real world.

maybe we should stop giving billions of dollars each year to fund sports entertainment payrolls.

maybe hours and hous of news each night should be filled with happier things instead of how many people died, arrested or other delinquet issues.

we need to change the actions of the government and corporate america. and change within yourself. not attempt to change everyone else while corporate america government and yourself are staying the same.

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 11:09 AM on j-body.org
I like how a bunch of kids on a car forum think they know how to run the world.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 4:08 PM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:I like how a bunch of kids on a car forum think they know how to run the world.

Thanks, Glace, but I'm 37.

Nathaniel wrote: i think we need to just be more concerned on how to make OURSELVES better not how to change everyone else. if you are always trying to make urself a better person, maybe just maybe it will rub off, and more people will change themselves.

Noble thoughts Nathaniel, but I see two flaws. The first is that the people who are just too stupid to care won't try to better themselves, or they wouldn't be that way in the first place. And thinking that being good will rub off on those who aren't, well, Cleveland schools bus kids all over trying to do just that. It's been my experience that if you take 10 "good" kids and put them in a "bad" environment, they have to conform to survive.

Thinking that self-improvement will rub off on others won't happen. I don't see anything wrong with trying to better yourself, but then again, I'm not keeping my kids locked in cages at night.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 4:14 PM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:Thanks, Glace, but I'm 37.

Then shouldn't you realize that mandatory sterilization of EVERYONE is expensive, time consuming, invasive of privacy, and completely impossible?

The idea is so absurd, I thought this was a joke thread when I first read it.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 4:32 PM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:Then shouldn't you realize that mandatory sterilization of EVERYONE is expensive, time consuming, invasive of privacy, and completely impossible?

The idea is so absurd, I thought this was a joke thread when I first read it.

A few years ago it was almost impossible to find an eye doctor who would risk changing the lens in your eye to correct vision. Now there's at least 2 ads everyday in the newspaper for Lasik. It's outpatient, not even considered real surgery. Don't say "impossible", it's just not developed yet.

As far as expensive, time consuming, etc... my sons were circumcised before leaving the hospital when they were born. It's routine surgery. How much more time would it take once the other procedure has been perfected? Another 15 minutes?

Re-read the first post on this, the legal requirements to have this reversed would be minimal. You have to do more than that to get a license to drive a car. Are you suggesting that testing everyone before they drive a car would be expensive, time consuming, an invasion of privacy and completely impossible? Oh wait, we do that.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 4:57 PM on j-body.org
John Wilken wrote:A few years ago it was almost impossible to find an eye doctor who would risk changing the lens in your eye to correct vision. Now there's at least 2 ads everyday in the newspaper for Lasik. It's outpatient, not even considered real surgery. Don't say "impossible", it's just not developed yet.

That is different because the surgery is voluntary.

John Wilken wrote:As far as expensive, time consuming, etc... my sons were circumcised before leaving the hospital when they were born. It's routine surgery. How much more time would it take once the other procedure has been perfected? Another 15 minutes?

Surgery for your son took 15 minutes because you volunteered for him. What if every male baby had to have the surgery? Would the time still stay the same? What if no doctors were available because they had higher priorities to deal with? What's the health risk of operating on 10 times or even 100 times the number newborn babies?

John Wilken wrote:Re-read the first post on this, the legal requirements to have this reversed would be minimal. You have to do more than that to get a license to drive a car. Are you suggesting that testing everyone before they drive a car would be expensive, time consuming, an invasion of privacy and completely impossible? Oh wait, we do that.

Again, that is different because driving a car is voluntary. I can choose not to drive, unlike your suggestion of sterilization. You also can't compare testing for a car license with getting sterilized because one of them is a health issue. We're talking about surgery here, not writing a test. There's bound to be complications no matter how easy it could be.

According to GAM, some sterilizations can't be reversed (I haven't checked sources, but it makes sense). What if I was sterilized but it can't be reversed and I tested to be a great parent? What would I do now? You just know someone would sue over this and who would pay for it? It just opens up a whole can of legal worms.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 5:54 PM on j-body.org
Grace, I used the example of Lasik to communicate that what was once unheard of and thought impossible is now commonplace. I failed to get that across.

I remember my grandfather telling me about how it blew his mind to think that everyone would eventually have a phone in their house. Sounds prehistoric now, but our grandchildren will think WE were cavemen too. In the same way, I'm sure sometime in the future reversable sterilization will be commonplace.

As far as driving a car being voluntary, it's not. It's a privilege that's earned and can be revoked by law. My point is that having children should be regulated by law like driving a car. Minimum age, minimum intelligence, demonstrated ability.

Grace, you could present another 100 "what ifs" about busy doctors or lawsuits, but I still maintain that bringing a life into the world is infinitely more important that driving a car, but the law doesn't regulate who can have children as stringently as who can drive a car.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 6:17 PM on j-body.org
it wont work

Saturday, December 10, 2005 10:16 AM on j-body.org
There is a lot easier way to do this, John. Simply remove all product warning labels, and revoke any laws meant to protect people from themselves, and let mature take its course...

I figure we can get 10% of the idiots by simply making every zoo a darwininan zoo and changing the "don't enter the cage" signs to "yes, please enter the gace and pet the sleeping xxxx"

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Saturday, December 10, 2005 5:40 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]There is a lot easier way to do this, John. Simply remove all product warning labels, and revoke any laws meant to protect people from themselves, and let mature take its course...

I figure we can get 10% of the idiots by simply making every zoo a darwininan zoo and changing the "don't enter the cage" signs to "yes, please enter the gace and pet the sleeping xxxx"

I love that idea, especially after reading the "do not use while sleeping" warning label on my hair dryer. Ever read the label on a 2 liter of Dr Pepper? There's a warning label there too.

We'd have to pass a law that says "if you do something stupid to yourself, you can't sue anyone". Like that lady with the McDonalds coffee in the drive thru...

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Sunday, December 11, 2005 12:10 PM on j-body.org
I like Keepers suggestion the most. I understand that reproduction is a god(or irrevocable for the non religious) right, but I do find myself agreeing with placing some kind of standards on who can raise a child.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:41 PM on j-body.org
Eric Esler wrote:I like Keepers suggestion the most. I understand that reproduction is a god(or irrevocable for the non religious) right, but I do find myself agreeing with placing some kind of standards on who can raise a child.

Wow, way to ride the fence... So it's a god given right that should be regulated ??

Why do you say it's an irrevocable right, other than no one has passed a law yet? Laws change all the time, the constitution has been amended to change with the times since it was written.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Sunday, December 11, 2005 11:05 PM on j-body.org
urban Online

Selective breeding + population selection was also Hitler's
pipedream; I visited Auschwitz, and lets just say it wasn't
such a bright plan. If we followed a philosophy of selection
based on WWII German standards than what would happen
to a German Jew like Einstein? If we decided to bias our
standards on physical characteristics, than what would
happen to a paraplegic like Steven Hawking? If we biased
our standards on IQ tests than what would happen to my
stepdad... a brilliant man who emigrated from Italy with only
a grade three education. Who will decide which standards
humanity follows? a tribunal, scientists, or politicians. Hell,
most of us wouldn't let our neighbours vote on our behalf,
how could we trust a small group of people decide our fate.

I used to think that population control is the answer, but is
it? What if, in our haste to solve our resource shortages,
we legislate a two-child cap only to discover someone's
unborn third child had the answers to humanity's resource
woes.

We can't take human beings out of humanity via genetic
manipulation either... we might spoil our dinner if we eat
our dessert first. Furthermore, do we want financially
driven physical enhancements in an economically driven
society. Odds are if you can't afford the newest ipod, you
might not have the money to afford the newest physical
upgrade - effectively being left behind. As much as I'd like
to have a higher IQ, a frost resistant 14" penis, x-ray
vision and wings on back (or jet propulsion out of my ass),
I think it's best to let this little melodrama unfold naturally.

Personally, I'm curious which direction the winds of this
little sh*tshow will blow.

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] cuz stock sux
Monday, December 12, 2005 10:17 AM on j-body.org
^^^it's why i say take away all laws protecting people from themselves. that way, the brilliance most likely will survice, while the idiots kill themseves and provide the rest of us with darwin award fodder. It's the perfect plan because then there's no one to blame for an idiot's death except the idiot themselves.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, December 12, 2005 5:44 PM on j-body.org
Well, Urban, I never stated that you would have to be "smart" to be allowed to have children, just demonstrate that you're not going to put your baby in the microwave with the formula... As far as Auschwicz, that's not the direction I was going.

I've stated repeatedly that you have to meet an age requirement, pass a written test and demonstrate that you have basic ability before the state will let you drive a car. Why not have the same standard for having a child? Hospitals in Cleveland won't let you put a newborn into a car that doesn't have a car seat, they come out and check. Would you put a newborn in a car without a car seat? Obviously it happens, that's why they have to check.

I've never stated that we need a "master race", we just need to weed out the really REALLY stupid.

Which is why I think Keeper has the best solution, as long as nobody is allowed to sue for their own stupidity.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search