NY Transit Union Strike (unions strike again!) - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: NY Transit Union Strike (unions strike again!)
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 7:05 PM on j-body.org
They all complain that they got families too. Yea well so do the people that ride the train and buses everyday to get to work, like my dad. its such a waste of time. they could still make their regular check, its not like without a contract they are not gonna get paid. now they are gonna lose money for being stupid. if you guys lived here you would see what a mess it is. so much traffic in manhattan. its a bad thing for them to be striking. i fi ever hear one of them complain when im on a train, im gonna tell them to STFU because they did nothing but f- up the city

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 7:29 PM on j-body.org
Before they went on strike, they had to take a strike vote. The membership must approve by a two-thirds margin or the union can't call for a strike. They did this to themselves, did the union learn nothing from the air traffic controllers?

What they should have done is a 1 day "sick out", like the police do to make a point, (Non-essential people call off sick for 1 day to try and nudge negotiations in their favor) not a total shut down of the system.

I've done union organizing, sat in on contract negotiations, painted signs and walked a picket line. Going on strike is the last resort after a total failure to "meet in the middle". It's a bargaining tool the union uses, and if the company doesn't take a strike threat seriously, the union must flex it's muscle to make the point.

Public employees aren't supposed to strike, they have a higher standard to live up to because they have greater job security than the private sector. I can see where the union felt the need to prove a point, but they've really hurt themselves more than helped.

This may very well be the end of this union.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Thursday, December 22, 2005 1:10 PM on j-body.org
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search