Immigrants, Not AMERICANS must adapt - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Immigrants, Not AMERICANS must adapt
Monday, January 02, 2006 9:03 AM on j-body.org
To answer Glace: I know 2 languages with some fluency, and 2 more where I can get the job done (respectively, English, French, Gaelic, Russian). I'm pretty tolerant if someone puts forward the effort.... but again, it boils down to attitude.

Jack: I'm assuming you're talking about people that have to deal with the public, but what about if they don't have to? What if, for instance, you have a company crew of construction workers, none of them speak english (let's say for instance they speak Inuktituq, I don't think anyone here speaks that...) except for the person you do business with. What are you going to get uptight about?

As I said, I understand about the people that work with the public (that goes for born Americans as well), but getting uptight with everyone, that's just going a bit too far. More Itallians and Irish came over during the Civil war than any other time (except the 20's) and they ended up making insular communities where speaking english was the exception.. it's tha same in Jewish neighbourhoods even to this day, Most of the time you'll be served in yiddish or hebrew first.

I hear the anger of the have's (as opposed to the have-not's) in the original post... why can't people (on every side) bend a little?

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, January 02, 2006 9:47 AM on j-body.org
I'm a bilingual illiterate... unless you count ebonics as a second language.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Monday, January 02, 2006 9:51 AM on j-body.org
You can speak a 2nd language, but you can't read or write in any language?

Monday, January 02, 2006 10:43 AM on j-body.org
Gam, I'm not being "uptight" at all. If your gonna deal with the public you SHOULD be able to speak the language. But if not I'll just get a contrator who can. See that was easy !

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, January 02, 2006 1:19 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:You can speak a 2nd language, but you can't read or write in any language?

My grandma is like that

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Monday, January 02, 2006 8:05 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:Gam, I'm not being "uptight" at all. If your gonna deal with the public you SHOULD be able to speak the language. But if not I'll just get a contrator who can. See that was easy !

Agreed

I'd think that a contractor that couldn't speak the language of the land would be very short on customers though... unless they were THAT good.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:13 AM on j-body.org
OR......that cheap !!

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 11:40 AM on j-body.org
okay, a few points...

Yes, John...a foreign accent on a woman is sexy as hell...and in the converse, my g/f agrees, a foreign accent on a man is sexy as well...keep in mind, She's slovak, so a pacific NW accent when speaking fracturesslovak is sexy to her

Second, Agustin: There is no american culture--you have to BE cultured first, and we're aout the furthest from being cultured or civilized.

Now, let's start on language:

Since right now I am in Slovakia, let me go on record by saying that very few people speak english, and my broken slovak won't carry me far. As such, i'm incredibly grateful for my g/f who's fluent in Slovak and English to help me translate. Some of the more popular tourist attraction places speak english--like in Kosice, or Prague, but here in Tornal'a,you either speak Slovak, or Hungarian (being that i'm about 30kms from the Hungarian border.

That being said, i don't agree with the "speak english or get out" mentality. it's more like, "speak the language of the where you are (which, in america, may very well be Spanish, or some other language), or you're screwed. Period. If you go to a small town on the border of Mexico, where everyone speaks spanish, do you reallyexpect the entuire town to bend to your will? If you do--i have some land downwind of Cheyrnobl that i'd like to sell you .

Now, that being said, I don't have any sympathy for foreigners that can't speak english, but i will help them how I can. Just like I didn't except anyone in Prague, Zvolen, Kosice, Tornal'a, or Presov to have sympathy for not being able to speak Czech or Slovak--i knew whati was getting into, but I am grateful to the ones that couldn't for trying to mime out what the meant, or those that talked throuhg my g/f and so far haven't made any "yankee capitolist pigdog" comments--esecially when they know that i'm not the stereotypical american .

So, if you can't speak the language, i'll try to helpm, but don't expect the rest of us t bend to your will--and remeber, language is a local thing--not a national thing....

Now, as it is for religion, to answer EZ--anything mentioning God or any deity whatsoever by a govermental institution violates the establishment clause--because there ae relagions out there that don't believe in gods--or "a" god for that matter.

Personally, though, I think that the #1 thing on the religion issue people need from both sides is tolerance. Whats good for the goose isn't always good for the gander, but likewise, don't expect the goose to change their ways to accomodate the gander, just as long as the goose's ways don't infringe on the gander's life.

After all, my g/f is christian, and i'm a pagan offshoot--and she's not trying to convert me, and I'm not trying to convert her...maybe because we realize that we are two different people that can never share the same life perspective as the other and thus treat religion as a personal thing.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 12:11 PM on j-body.org
Wow ! keeper and I actualy agree !!

Hey look, its snowing !

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 12:13 PM on j-body.org
^^ What, you're in hell?

I knew you were Satan's spawn.

---

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 12:26 PM on j-body.org

And Thats MR Satin spawn to you !

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 12:27 PM on j-body.org
Oops, Thats was supposed to be satAn not "I"

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 1:51 PM on j-body.org
Satin spawn is a LITTLE more than we need to know about what goes on between you and Lucifer, Jack.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:54 AM on j-body.org
But, But, But, Gam you were there too. And that lace looked sooo good, it matched the color of your kilt perfectly! I'd still love to know where you found that at.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:28 AM on j-body.org
Ummm....Jack is not my son....

But if you think about it...what i said is really just common sense...

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:27 PM on j-body.org
HEY !! I said it first !!

DAD !!! lol !!!!!!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 1:36 PM on j-body.org
Jack: satan bought you the teddy... I was just taking black-mail pictures...

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 2:15 PM on j-body.org
You mean in your kilt with your matching fish nets and lace gater belt ? I thought you were there to party as well !

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 2:37 PM on j-body.org
No that was a Scot.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:15 PM on j-body.org
I guess I got in all this really late but NJHK, GAM, and "HOTL" summed up everything I wanted to say.

I think what everyone in this country needs is a little tolerance. People are just getting way too uptight about everything -language, religion, culture, etc. Its quite ridiculous and its getting out of hand, in my opinion.

Blown.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:29 PM on j-body.org
Filip (The Polish Kid) wrote:I guess I got in all this really late but NJHK, GAM, and "HOTL" summed up everything I wanted to say.

I think what everyone in this country needs is a little tolerance. People are just getting way too uptight about everything -language, religion, culture, etc. Its quite ridiculous and its getting out of hand, in my opinion.
exactly !!!

am i the only one that thought about south park when they had to visit the tolerance museum cause they called there teacher gay ?

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:06 PM on j-body.org
Mr. Mackey? GAY????

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:21 PM on j-body.org
And Keeper: Aren't you Satan turned flesh?

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:31 PM on j-body.org
I just call him dad.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:32 PM on j-body.org
Leave me out of any "Flesh Turning." I like you guys, but not like THAT.

wierdos..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search